My 3D DKC Trilogy Game

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: My 3D DKC Trilogy Game

Postby Cosmicman » December 3rd, 2016, 9:55 am

vege wrote:i prefer the sea a bit more angry but it looks cool too. I like the idea of the cannons, Is there any news, mate?

The sea has multiple settings, including one that is so aggressive it can tip and sink your ship, as an update I have been working on this game non stop, but specially been concentrating on the DKC 2 island map.

I will upload a video soon walking through the whole level as I mentioned long ago, all the way from arriving to the island in the galleon to reaching the Flying Krock which has a full interior now, its just that I love doing 3D but hate recording/editing videos. :gnawty-lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » December 4th, 2016, 8:54 am

Awesome man (kong), I can't wait to see this! I was wondering if this was still a thing or not...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » December 14th, 2016, 3:18 am

A small update, some pics, video coming soon...

Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » December 14th, 2016, 11:18 am

Nice! I can't wait to see that video :funky:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » December 14th, 2016, 1:29 pm

OneOf99 wrote:Nice! I can't wait to see that video :funky:

I have not done much with this map but here it is where it sits so far. Next up, voyage to Crocodile Island.

videos:
Spoiler!

Edit: Tree Top test.

Crocodile Isle Flying

Crocodile Isle walk

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby sonosublime » December 16th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Really awesome work. You've got the skeletal structure down pat. Now you just need to make a game out of it!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » December 17th, 2016, 6:02 am

This is looking great, Cosmic! Your reconstruction of Crocodile Isle in particular is giving me an uncanny feeling of really being there, which I can only assume is due to the incredible detail and authenticity of your work.

Thanks a bunch for making these videos! :bunch-tf: (I know it's not your favourite thing to do) :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cosmicman » December 17th, 2016, 9:48 am

sonosublime wrote:Really awesome work. You've got the skeletal structure down pat. Now you just need to make a game out of it!

Thanks, I will be concentrating on that soon.

Qyzbud wrote:This is looking great, Cosmic! Your reconstruction of Crocodile Isle in particular is giving me an uncanny feeling of really being there, which I can only assume is due to the incredible detail and authenticity of your work.

Thanks a bunch for making these videos! :bunch-tf: (I know it's not your favourite thing to do) :lol:

:D Yeah, I got more familiar with Fraps and it works great, so I should be able to upload more videos easier than before. Thanks for those comments, that is my purpose, to feel like you are walking in Cocodrile Isle, the main thing missing now is getting all the Kongs playable. That is my next step.

More images:
Spoiler!
Some more updates, Candy's Save Point.

Banana mountains, for boss battle stages.

Updated Funky's Flights... Any idea what it says on the top of the roof of the original render? Hotel Flights Book Now?

I'm trying to achieve each section of the island to resemble the in game backgrounds, here it is the originals for comparison with the screen below.

And I just added a huge cave which I will fill up with Kremlings ! :gnawty-lol:

update:

Very early Monkey Mines

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Cyclone » December 17th, 2016, 11:59 am

Hey Cosmic man.
Do you want help with your project? I would like to contribute!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cosmicman » December 17th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Thanks Cyclone, I could really use your help and most of the community that has offered their help, I just wanted to get the structure of the islands as advanced as I could before getting the community involved, I think I'm at that point now and I will shoot you a PM as well as the other members who offered their help.

Edit: Cave Preview...

More images and videos:

Spoiler!

And... I got them in the game. DK is not playable but Kiddy is, he is having some terrible facial disorders because his rig is not perfect but as soon as I get him reconstructed I will show him in action.

Vine Valley multiple trees

Starting work on Gorilla Glacier and Kremkroc Industries is almost done. Looks odd but its a place holder for now.

DKC 3 Funky's Rentals

DKC 3 Worldmap taking shape, plus Lake Oratanga, its taking shape to be a HUGE map

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby vege » February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am

Awesome! This game keeps getting better and better, good done!

:nicework: :nicework:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby OneOf99 » February 17th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Donkey Kong Country: Breath of the Wild.

Like really man, this looks awesome! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » February 18th, 2017, 6:18 am

OneOf99 wrote:Donkey Kong Country: Breath of the Wild.

Like really man, this looks awesome! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks OneOf99 !

vege wrote:Awesome! This game keeps getting better and better, good done!

:nicework: :nicework:

Thanks Vege,As soon as I get the character rigging figured out I will need your models.

Also If anyone can or knows how to rig characters for use in unreal please let me know, thats basically all I'm missing to be able to fill the islands with Kremlings. I tried to use Mixamo but they removed the unreal compatibility, i don't know why... and I havent figured out how to do it correctly myself...

More updates, Funky Rentals interior taking shape

Spoiler!

Early Hover Boat

Sorry for no sound, the frame rate was killing my computer.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Cosmicman » March 22nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

Well, I managed to get Kiddy in the game, very messy rig but at least he is playable. This is a big step for me, I had nothing but issues with rigging him and getting him in the game, next up I hope to have enemies in there as well as DK and the whole gang.

Videos:

Spoiler!

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » March 23rd, 2017, 6:49 am

The fact that one person (you) has been able to make so much is just amazing. One thing however is the framerate. I don't know if it is just your computer specs, but maybe you should cut down on the grass effects because it seems to be taking a large toll on the processing of the game. Other than that, just wow!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Qyzbud » March 23rd, 2017, 9:04 am

Cosmic, this is looking gorgeous! Having a Kong (especially Kiddy!) playable enhances the DKC feel significantly.

The second video in this latest update appears to be private, but the others are stunningly impressive. :banana:

P.S. Now we know why Funky needed a patch to repair the hovercraft... :?

:lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cosmicman » March 23rd, 2017, 10:04 am

Oneof99, you are right, I have like 8 different grass types in there, I will try to keep it down to 3 or so and it won't make any difference on the map since they look so similar, also my computer video card needs to be updated but I think Fraps is also lowering the frame rate a bit, I will try to optimize the game a bit more once its more complete.

Qyzbud, Kiddy's rig needs a lot of work, I was debating whether to show him in this state but its the best I could do for now, I also need to make new animations for his walking style instead of human walking.

I did not notice the private video, but its fixed now, just Kiddy running on the Kropter.

:gnawty-lol: Yes, Kiddy enjoys flipping the hovercraft a bit too much.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » March 23rd, 2017, 10:37 am

Just a quick question- are you planning to make this a complete experience? I mean not just like a updated rendition of the islands, but also collectibles and stuff like that? It would be cool to have to find DK Coins on these maps, it would be a lot like Breath of the Wild (which is a good thing).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » March 23rd, 2017, 11:10 am

My plan now is to make it playable similar to Mario 64/DK64, but with the option to go first person, I have not played Zelda yet but from what I have seen I think I will draw more inspiration from those games I mentioned.

As of right now I have no issues with making 3D environments or characters, I really enjoy it, my issue is rigging the playable and unplayable characters and figuring out programming how to put them on the game, add animations, etc, I know there are videos on youtube showing how to do some of that stuff but sadly as soon as I start those tutorials it overwhelms me sometimes and it burns me out quick. :dixiecry:

And another area almost complete.
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Raccoon Sam » March 24th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Great job!! The screenshots and videos look amazing. Keep up the good work. :)

Also - regarding your texture work, just thought you might like to know that the typeface used extensively in Donkey Kong Country is Gill Sans (Ultra/Extra) Bold.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Cosmicman » March 24th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Thanks. That helps a lot, I will update all the signs with that font.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Super Luigi! » March 31st, 2017, 5:50 am

The Legend of Donkey Kong: Kiddy of the Wild.

That's not a very good name, but I still see your project as amazing, Cosmicman. Well done!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cosmicman » May 16th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:The Legend of Donkey Kong: Kiddy of the Wild.

That's not a very good name, but I still see your project as amazing, Cosmicman. Well done!

Haha, thanks, I have done some more progress on the map but putting some effort on the main characters, Kiddy is the first to be almost completed, finally fur was added.

Image and video:
Spoiler!

I will be able to make some cool wallpapers too. If this is too big mods feel free to make it into a smaller thumbnail, I don't know how to, or please advice me how to do it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby PigmaskColonel » May 17th, 2017, 7:46 am

Oh my goodness. Kiddy is looking wonderful. Splendid work, Mr. Cyclone, sir.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. :facepalm:
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby Cosmicman » May 18th, 2017, 8:33 am

PigmaskColonel wrote:Oh my goodness. Kiddy is looking wonderful. Splendid work, Mr. Cyclone, sir.

Thanks for the kind words but I think you got Cyclone's 3d thread confused with mine. :gnawty-lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby PigmaskColonel » May 18th, 2017, 11:06 am

Cosmicman wrote:
PigmaskColonel wrote:Oh my goodness. Kiddy is looking wonderful. Splendid work, Mr. Cyclone, sir.

Thanks for the kind words but I think you got Cyclone's 3d thread confused with mine. :gnawty-lol:

Disregard my incompetence.
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby Cosmicman » May 18th, 2017, 11:36 am

PigmaskColonel wrote:
Cosmicman wrote:

Disregard my incompetence.

No problem, I'm actually happy to see my work is somehow comparable with Cyclone's enough to get it confused, I have mentioned before how his work was one of my main inspirations.

Update:
I have been working on Kiddy a bit more. His clothes details and the button and eyes shine.

Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Super Luigi! » May 18th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Well done once more, dear Cosmicman. You truly have implemented much detail. Please continue to succeed greatly and be a hero to children everywhere!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cosmicman » May 18th, 2017, 3:59 pm

:thumbs:

Here is a gif image, its large with 256 colors very low quality and there is some glitch black colors, but that is the best the gif file can do.

Link to gif:

https://m.imgur.com/HG1HlZw
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby PigmaskColonel » May 19th, 2017, 4:59 am

Absolutely stunning. That's precisely how I imagine Kiddy would look in one of Retro's DKC games; it's so perfect, I could very well mistake it for being the real deal!

Ooh, I can't wait to see the whole crew in action, roaming these gorgeous environments... Keep up the phenomenal work.
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby OneOf99 » May 20th, 2017, 10:02 am

I really like that Kiddy model bro! Tip though, put all of your pictures and videos in labeled spoilers, otherwise the page loads for a long time.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » May 22nd, 2017, 7:05 am

I will do that as soon as I get on my computer.

Update, on adition to Kiddy I got Donkey Kong, Diddy and Dixie Kong playable. Too bad they use a walking animation for now but I'm working on trying to find a proper monkey walking related animation.

DK Renders
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Super Luigi! » June 1st, 2017, 1:39 pm

You truly never cease to amaze, dear Cosmicman. Thank you for making life worthwhile. Although your project may take much time, I know you can do it. You have my support!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cosmicman » June 2nd, 2017, 11:59 am

Thanks again, I don't think it will take as long as you think it will, the 3 islands are mostly done. The main characters are done, I need to work on the enemies models, animations then missions and more complicated stuff.

As of right now it could take a player up to 2 hours just sailing and exploring the 3 islands with no enemies and zero missions, once I start adding those this could be a 4 to 5 hour game minimum. I also plan to add underwater swimming with hidden underwater items and other small islands with special items or bosses. That will expand the game a lot.

I was also thinking about multiplayer to play with other board members or at least locally, but it must be extremely challenging to do, I will see.

Needs a bit more work but here are some Diddy renders:
Spoiler!

Early enemy, Klubba and Kudgel.
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » June 4th, 2017, 1:00 am

Wow these are good. Like really good. Do you do this for a living?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » June 4th, 2017, 3:05 am

Thanks, I wish, I do these looking at youtube tutorials.

Edit : Enguarde, Squitter and...
More Klubba. I need to work on a few details like his hands and feet but thats about it... Oh, and his klub.
Spoiler!
I love his side profile
Trying some tricks for his skin.

And when I thought I was almost done I just realized he has a small tail... will do that next.

Enguarde, still missing some details.
Spoiler!

Squitter
Spoiler!

Hair preview
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Super Luigi! » June 20th, 2017, 10:16 am

Well done once more, dear Cosmicman. All of your work looks very detailed and amazing. Please continue to succeed greatly and be a hero to children everywhere!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cosmicman » July 7th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:Well done once more, dear Cosmicman. All of your work looks very detailed and amazing. Please continue to succeed greatly and be a hero to children everywhere!

Thanks again, super luigi! Here is happy Kiddy!

I'm learning how to rig the face for expressions but I think is taking too much valuable time I could be spending on other parts of the game, but it would be amazing to be able to see the kongs making facial gestures.

Early K.Rool.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby VideoViking » July 7th, 2017, 1:30 pm

I am really liking the recreations of these character staples of DK.

What kind of animations or body rigging have you done so far for any of the characters you've made, Cosmicman?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Cosmicman » July 8th, 2017, 7:35 am

I have rigged all the models I have posted here so far with standard jump/walk and run animations, but I'm not getting good results like I want to.
Like I mentioned before, all the rigging, animating and coding is not really my forte, so that part is really slowing things down a lot for me.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby vege » October 14th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Kiddy is looking awesome, mate! Are there news? This project deserves more views!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Cosmicman » October 31st, 2017, 1:20 am

vege wrote:Kiddy is looking awesome, mate! Are there news? This project deserves more views!

Thanks, I have some updates but not major, I'm really shooting for a demo sometime in the next few months. Next update I want to show game play with characters and enemies interactions, not just the player running around.

Edit: Minor modeling update but I wanted to show an early render of the fair, with ride able carts.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » November 2nd, 2017, 3:41 am

I like those skull carts! They look really neat :boss:
Is the track going to be rideable?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby VideoViking » November 2nd, 2017, 8:16 am

This might sound weird, but how long would the roller coaster ride looked like in the map had it embodied one of the levels (Target Terror or Rickety Race)? Would it loop around the entire carnival?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Cosmicman » November 2nd, 2017, 1:28 pm

VideoViking wrote:This might sound weird, but how long would the roller coaster ride looked like in the map had it embodied one of the levels (Target Terror or Rickety Race)? Would it loop around the entire carnival?

It would be impossible to recreate those levels here because they are 2D and would probably be miles long, I have a small area to work with but I am trying to make it as long as I can looping around the carnival maybe twice.

OneOf99 wrote:I like those skull carts! They look really neat :boss:
Is the track going to be rideable?

Thanks, yes that is my goal, there is really no limits to what the game engine can do, I just don't have to the knowledge to do something like that yet. :dixiecry:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » November 3rd, 2017, 2:57 am

What about making it loop around the island? It can be hidden until you get on it or something. Make it like the Yooka-Laylee minecarts maybe? (But with actual control obviously)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » November 4th, 2017, 10:16 am

I think something like that would work better as an actual level, just like it was on the original game where you are on the world map and jump into the level, but as it stands on the game now it will just be something you can ride, and maybe get run over or fall off it and die. I made all the assets to make any kind of tracks with it, I'm sure I can recreate the original levels.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby OneOf99 » November 4th, 2017, 4:32 pm

That's still cool, even if it isn't long. What you've done so far is already very amazing anyways :dixiehappy:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Cosmicman » November 6th, 2017, 2:49 am

Old render of Wrinkly's classroom, halfway done, I don't think I shown this one before?

Its missing half because I just copy that half when I'm done with it, plus its easier to model the interior and saves a lot of time.

Is there an exterior shot of the school anywhere for reference?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks