DKC2 hack: Donkey Kong Edition

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC2 hack: Donkey Kong Edition

Postby Mattrizzle » October 7th, 2014, 2:05 pm

I haven't made a video yet because it isn't possible to complete an entire level without D.K. looking and/or sounding like Dixie.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 171

Postby doomero » October 8th, 2014, 3:35 am

Mattrizzle wrote:I haven't made a video yet because it isn't possible to complete an entire level without D.K. looking and/or sounding like Dixie.

Oh i see, who will be kidnapped? Dixie?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 75

Postby Erockbrox » October 8th, 2014, 9:44 am

Mattrizzle let me know if there is anything I can help out on with this project. Just shoot me a pm.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Erockbrox » November 24th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Just checking in here.

Did we ever come to an agreement on what the sprite animation would be for Donkey Kong on Rattly the Snake?

There were a bunch of designs and I can't remember which one would be the best fit for the hack.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Erockbrox » December 12th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Here is hoping that you have a crazy update for the up and coming C3 at SMWC!!! :D
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Mattrizzle » December 23rd, 2014, 3:21 pm

Well, maybe if the C3 came a week later than it did. Even so, the only update would have been that the life counter icon is now animated (how exciting). I still haven't imported the graphics or animation data from DKC1, so for now the icon is just a badly-paletted Banana Coin which changes into a badly-paletted Kremkoin when you lose a life. It also glitches up the numeral graphics.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 171

Postby Erockbrox » December 24th, 2014, 10:52 pm

again let me know if there is something for me to work on. im not an expert asm hacker but since this project is a dream of mine i will do pretty much anything to make it come a reality. if its really top secret then you can just pm me the details. thanks.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Raccoon Sam » March 6th, 2015, 8:00 pm

I don't know if this should deserve its own topic, you know, being really useful for making custom sprites for the DKC series, but bear with me:
This is a direct quote from BullockDS, from The Spriters Resource:

Source

As a forum with many talented spriters, I'm surprised I haven't seen this been discussed here yet (although if it has I certainly missed it). It's what it says on the tin: you can take 3D models and turn 'em into pixel art. Granted, the actual process isn't that simple, but relatively speaking, it seems to be somewhat straightforward. Examples:

Obviously, there's a bit of roughness if left as-is, but I'm honestly surprised with how great looking the results still are as-is. The "rough" shading kind of reminds me of how character graphics appear in Art of Fighting 3, particularly the up-close shots after a fight.

So, what do the fine folks here think? Does this ruin the "true" craft of spriting, or could this become a useful tool for projects? Myself, I think this could potentially become real popular in the MUGEN scene to create fighters (Smash characters, anyone? :3).

Also, I'm sorry if this should've gone in a different forum; I figured I wouldn't post this in Custom Sprites/Pixel Art since I'm not actually posting any art of mine, but couldn't think of anywhere else to post it but here.

Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Erockbrox » March 23rd, 2015, 10:27 am

Well this is great and all, but does this hack need it? But I'm sure many hacks or other fan games could possibly use it. :)
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Velocity9x7 » December 17th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Looking at all the screenshots I am very impressed of what I saw. I'm sorry for asking this, but do you guys have any idea when this hack will be completed and released? I look VERY forward to it. I've always dreamed of playing as DK in DKC2! :mrgreen:
Newcomer

Postby doomero » December 18th, 2015, 2:44 am

Velocity9x7 wrote:Looking at all the screenshots I am very impressed of what I saw. I'm sorry for asking this, but do you guys have any idea when this hack will be completed and released? I look VERY forward to it. I've always dreamed of playing as DK in DKC2! :mrgreen:

+1 ... when i was a kid, i thought, when you end the game, you can unlock Donkey Kong.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 75

Postby Velocity9x7 » December 21st, 2015, 3:28 pm

doomero wrote:
Velocity9x7 wrote:Looking at all the screenshots I am very impressed of what I saw. I'm sorry for asking this, but do you guys have any idea when this hack will be completed and released? I look VERY forward to it. I've always dreamed of playing as DK in DKC2! :mrgreen:

+1 ... when i was a kid, i thought, when you end the game, you can unlock Donkey Kong.

Yeah I thought so too, I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't an unlockable character to be honest. But this hack will make that dream a reality! :D
Newcomer

Postby doomero » December 22nd, 2015, 9:14 am

I hope can be finished soon.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 75

Postby Velocity9x7 » December 24th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Ditto! There's a chance it could be done soon because it started in May 2014. That was almost two years ago.
Newcomer

Postby Erockbrox » December 27th, 2015, 6:56 am

At this point this game really just depends on Mattrizzle. This was only my idea. Mattrizzle is the coder and the brains behind making this happen for real. He is a top DKC rom hacker. I asked him about the hack recently and he said its harder to do it now that he has a full time job.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Velocity9x7 » January 7th, 2016, 8:46 am

Well that's too bad it will be delayed. Also I'm pretty sure it will still be continued because it's still on Mattrizzle's list of current projects. Futher more, I love your idea! I've thought of making a hack like this years ago actually. But I didn't try to do it because I didn't know how to hack. I've always dreamed of playing as DK in DKC2. Thanks for sharing this idea! By the way I know Matrizze says it's harder now, but did he mention the progress on it so far?
Newcomer

Postby doomero » January 16th, 2016, 3:35 am

Almost we want to know the news of the progress....
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 75

Previous

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks