The Atlas has a virus!

Feedback, suggestions and content submissions for the DKC Atlas website and forum can be posted here.

The Atlas has a virus!

Postby Cyclone » July 18th, 2023, 9:44 am

When I click on the 'SHORT LINK' it goes to some random site with malware.....
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Re: The Atlas has a virus!

Postby Mattrizzle » July 18th, 2023, 10:50 am

The Atlas itself does not have a virus, only a link that leads to one. Qyzbud let the dkca.net domain name used by the short links expire a few years ago. It was then bought by someone else, who made it link to a malware site. DKC Atlas is not responsible for--nor is it infected by--this malware.

In short, the only advice I can give is DO NOT click the short links. If you need to copy a link, copy the long link from the timestamp on the post.

Qyzbud should probably remove the short links, though...

In other news, due to the recent Twitter API changes, the Twitter feed at the top right corner is broken now.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby rainbowsprinklez » July 18th, 2023, 11:27 am

Mattrizzle wrote:In other news, due to the recent Twitter API changes, the Twitter feed at the top right corner is broken now.

I notice that when I need to sign in. Twitter goes on top of the 'sign in' button. I need to keyboard navigate to the log-in page.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Mattrizzle » July 18th, 2023, 11:50 am

It doesn't happen consistently for me across all devices, but when it does I usually do the following: Right-click, open Inspect and search for the <!--Twitter Timeline--> comment tag in the source. Immediately below this is a <div> tag with the class name "hovershow". Delete this node, and the links will work...until you load another page, at least...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby rainbowsprinklez » July 18th, 2023, 11:58 am

Mattrizzle wrote:It doesn't happen consistently for me, but when it does I usually do the following: Right-click, open Inspect and search for the <!--Twitter Timeline--> comment tag in the source. Immediately below this is a <div> tag with the class name "hovershow". Delete this node, and the links will work...until you load another page, at least...

Dude... that's too big brain for me! just press 'tab' a bunch!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » July 19th, 2023, 2:38 am

haha! matt, you're a web developer right? also i have little knowledge of that. when i use inspect, i just mess around until it works.

edit when i first saw this topic, i was like, uh oh, it finally happened. or that you were hacked again, cyclone, and the atlas was at fault. i would mostly just call it a spamming link. unless it actually distributed viruses or stole credit card info.

i missed the part where your post said, malware site, matt. also, that shows that i have forgotten that much with saying viruses.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Cyclone » July 19th, 2023, 9:58 am

Why didn't someone notice this way sooner???
I find it baffling that no one encountered this!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Mattrizzle » July 19th, 2023, 1:46 pm

It was mentioned here around three months shy of two years ago: http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17&p=45083#p45083
reversalmushroom wrote:Why is the link in "Talk about our maps on the DKC Atlas Forum: Mapping Project topic" a spam redirect?

Mattrizzle wrote:That link now redirects to spam because it seems that he let his URL shortening service lapse, and they repurposed the URL. It originally redirected to this topic, as expected.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » July 20th, 2023, 2:53 am

and idkamogus mentioned it in like october.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to DKC Atlas Discussion