169% completion

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 3...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

169% completion

Postby SLY JO » April 25th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Ever since I've had my DKC3 cartridge, the high scores were shown:
1. Cranky - 4:21 - 103%
2. Funky - 78:69 - 169%
3. I - 78:69 - 169% (this 'I' looks like a capital with a line across the top, a bit like a trophy)
4. I - 78:69 - 169%
5. Whatever my highest score is which is currently 3:21 - 105%

Whatever I do I cannot get higher than where I am.
Did the previous owner of the cartridge glitch it up in any way to make it have those insanely high % and impossible times? And why is Cranky still #1 considering i beat his time and '%'.

Anyone have similar problems or know what is wrong?
Feedback is greatly appreciated, I just want to be #1 :lol:
Trainee Trekker

Re: 169% completion

Postby Kiddy14 » April 26th, 2008, 4:58 am

That's really weird, maybe the last owner of the cartridge used a Cheat Cartridge to change the values of the times and percentages, like a Pro Action Replay or a Gameshark.

Do you have any kind of digital camera? Maybe you can show us the actual screenshot from your TV =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby SLY JO » April 26th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Here's my high scores.
Sorry about the quality, couldn't be bothere moving my SNES to one of the better TVs in my home, it was too heavy to move :lol:
Trainee Trekker

Postby Simion32 » April 26th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Hmm... this game must have been hacked using a Game Shark or other cheating device. Strange that the previous owner changed those two names to the "Î" character. If there is one way to get 169%, then it's through cheating, no exceptions. I do believe I've ran across the code for this, but I can't remember where...

The highest possible in-game score is 105%, but I think the previous owner of the game wanted to emphasize that Cranky is the best by putting him at the top! 8-)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » April 26th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Very interesting first (and second) post. Thanks for the photographic evidence...

Well I've never heard of such a thing, but it does indeed sound/look like some sort of data corruption. Maybe damage from wear and tear, or maybe cheating devices as Kiddy and Simion mentioned. Where did you get your cartridge from? Were there any existing save files on it when you got it?

Definitely strange. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to 'reset' the times/scores, but if so, that may help you reach the top spot.

Edit: I do think it's unintentional corruption, rather than cheating, because it looks as though everything after Funky's name was affected. The pattern stays the same, too; names, times, percentages all have the same strange data. I think Cranky's still at the top because the corruption only affects the lower info, and perhaps your score is displayed correctly, but isn't sorted accurately due to the general corruption. Just my thoughts...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby SLY JO » April 26th, 2008, 3:12 pm

I got DKC3 for Christmas ( I do believe) when I was about 8. I'm 99% sure it was a traded in copy (otherwise Santa was ruthless with the box).
When I first played it, I'm fairly sure there were saved games on it and those highscores have been on there ever since I've had it (well as far back as I can remeber, I was 8... give us a break)

Another thing I notice is that CRANKY is spelled with 6 digits. When creating a profile on the game, you can have a maximum of 5 digits. Hmm...
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » April 26th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Yeah, I bet Cranky went on about his 'rights as a video game veteran' until Rare buckled and let him get his full name in there.

Of course, Wrinkly was allowed two extra letters!

For reference, here's a snapshot of the initial high scores, before a player joins the rankings...

DKC3_all_time_greats.png
DKC3_all_time_greats.png (23.27 KiB) Viewed 23286 times

Looks like Rare are better at making games than playing them. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 26th, 2008, 6:59 pm

I feel like we're doing a Monkey Krime Scene Investigation case. :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby SLY JO » April 26th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Qyzbud wrote:For reference, here's a snapshot of the initial high scores, before a player joins the rankings...

DKC3_all_time_greats.png

My CRANKY's better than you, he finished the game in 4:22.
Then again, my highscores are completely lame-o.

Is there a list of codes for the game that could possible change the scores? I have no idea how gamesharks, etc work.
I do remmeber changing high scores on old PC games where you would just find the notepad HS file and change them at will. Maybe a similar things was done using a game shark?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kowbrainz » May 1st, 2008, 12:48 am

Ah!

When I bought my new copy of DKC3 (old copy ceased working) this was a lot like what I found when I beat the game - several glitched up names on the rankings with weird percentages and mine down the bottom even when I'd beaten a few of the times.

I used the ERASE code to delete the times and that seemed to fix it all up earlier this year... unfortunately I don't have any screenshots, but the names of the players were FAR more glitched up than that and exceeded the character limit, too. It was pretty whacky, to say the least.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby SLY JO » May 4th, 2008, 2:04 pm

I used the ERASE code to delete the times and that seemed to fix it all up earlier this year

So using the ERASE code deletes the high scores aswell? I thought it only affected riverside race score. I'll try it later, thanks.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 12th, 2008, 12:33 pm

A similar thing happened to me one time, except instead of just 169%, it had all kinds of names and numbers... Things that didn't even make sense. Of course, this was near the end of my Super Nintendo's life span, so it could have been the system screwing up, but still. It freaked me out.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby doom1killer123 » July 10th, 2009, 8:34 am

Qyzbud wrote:Yeah, I bet Cranky went on about his 'rights as a video game veteran' until Rare buckled and let him get his full name in there.

Of course, Wrinkly was allowed two extra letters!

For reference, here's a snapshot of the initial high scores, before a player joins the rankings...

DKC3_all_time_greats.png

yeah ummm... rare wasnt the best at playing a game. they were happy when they had video game testers.
Tourist

Return to DKC3 Glitches