Overwriting Kiddy In DKC3

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

Overwriting Kiddy In DKC3

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 21st, 2022, 7:16 am

I have ideas how to do it. But I can’t find any tools for any such project. Help here would be appreciated. I’m thinking that either I replace Kiddy with Diddy. Or give an extra hit to Dixie. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Overwriting Kiddy In DKC3

Postby Mattrizzle » October 21st, 2022, 11:05 pm

To replace a character, you would need to make the following changes:
  • Import all sprites of the character from the source game into DKC3
  • Convert and import the collision data for these sprites into DKC3
  • Create, convert, and import custom sprites for animations that don't exist of the source character (this would also involve creating tile arrangements and appropriate collision data for these) - I can't think of any major ones aside from those used in the Banana Bird Caves, Swanky's Tent, and Bleak's House
  • Adjust the pointer tables to these sprites
  • Convert and import sound effects and waveform data for the new character (Diddy doesn't have as many unique sounds as Kiddy, so this may not be as hard, relatively speaking)
  • Convert and import animation data for these new sprites
  • Import the color palettes for the character
  • Alter physics data (e.g. jump height and running speed) - I'm not sure if this would affect Kiddy's water skip, but you could probably apply it to Diddy's cartwheel). Thankfully, Diddy and Kiddy both hold barrels and other objects in front of them, unlike D.K. and Dixie, who hold objects above them.
  • Convert and import all code and data for Dixie's team-up and team throw from DKC2 (Kiddy is heavier than Diddy, so you wouldn't want her to look like she's struggling to carry the latter) With this change, you'd need to develop an alternate method for breaking through fragile floors.

This isn't an all-inclusive list. Several bullet points require multiple steps. You won't find any tools that will do all the work.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm guessing you are inspired by similar projects from rainbowsprinklez and me?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 22nd, 2022, 1:41 am

Mattrizzle wrote:This isn't an all-inclusive list. Several bullet points require multiple steps. You won't find any tools that will do all the work.

He's def right here. And likely, if there was a tool for that, the dev would've done what you suggested. Devs don't make those types of tools and not use them themselves.

Mattrizzle wrote:I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm guessing you are inspired by similar projects from rainbowsprinklez and me?

Probably... to be honest, I skipped many of those steps by replacing Donkey with Dixie, instead of adding.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 22nd, 2022, 2:20 am

Thanks so for much for the extensive explanation! Yes, I was inspired by both of your works! Thanks so much for all of that! It will take a lot of work once I am done with my other projects, but it will be worth it! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » October 22nd, 2022, 5:12 am

rainbowsprinklez wrote:Probably... to be honest, I skipped many of those steps by replacing Donkey with Dixie, instead of adding.

On several of the steps, I previously had ", replacing Kiddy's", but it got repetitive. There definitely isn't enough space to add another Kong alongside the other two, short of getting an expanded ROM to work (which is a project in itself). My project doesn't add Donkey as an option, it replaces Dixie with him by overwriting Dixie's data with his.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 22nd, 2022, 8:05 am

Mattrizzle wrote:
rainbowsprinklez wrote:Probably... <i title="to be honest">to be honest</i>, I skipped many of those steps by replacing Donkey with Dixie, instead of adding.

On several of the steps, I previously had ", replacing Kiddy's", but it got repetitive. There definitely isn't enough space to add another Kong alongside the other two, short of getting an expanded ROM to work (which is a project in itself). My project doesn't add Donkey as an option, it replaces Dixie with him by overwriting Dixie's data with his.

Nice! Expanding (at least in dkc1) isn't that hard. Changing all those functions and pointers however... lol yeah, that's why I never "added"
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 22nd, 2022, 11:43 am

I wasn’t planning on having anymore than two Kongs. But anyway thanks so much for the help! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to Donkey Kong Country 3