Broken Credits

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Broken Credits

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 9th, 2023, 11:15 am

I just beat the game casually yesterday and the credits were broken!!! Video soon. Everyone in the cast of characters was made up of Japanese characters and occasionally English letters! And some were flickering between and some were just off by a few colors. Done on SNES9x, J 1.1 rom. Is the rom broken. I believe it was new.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Broken Credits

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 10th, 2023, 7:14 am

Video! Audio was staticky, so I overlaid the restored version on top. Doesn’t sound as bad, but it’s still bad.

:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 10th, 2023, 7:33 am

I had a save state before and although the characters were identical, the flickering and when the normal sprite showed up varied. In both times I watched the credits. Castle Crush soft lock was my first guess, but I didn't think I used that rom past like world 4. Mattrizzle do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » June 12th, 2023, 3:01 am

My only guess as to why that would happen is accidentally playing with some RAM frozen. Are you 100% certain RAM is untouched? You could've accidentally left it frozen while debugging something else.

*EDIT*
Can you reproduce? One with better audio? I'm guessing not as you seemed gungho on saving THIS audio.

I've left RAM frozen and thought I found something cool more times than I'd like to admit.... :oops:
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 12th, 2023, 5:35 am

I have a save state after beating K.rool which reproduced it again. With some variance. I don’t know what the ram frozen means. I downloaded it from an unspecifiable source. :diddywink: and although the J 1.1 rom I used had been played before, nothing beyond normal playing. Do you want the save state? It’s in SNES9x format if I didn’t mention it. And my recorder has issues with high pitched frequencies. I’ll see if I can do better. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » June 12th, 2023, 7:41 am

I've observed similar oddities before when I used an emulator's rewind function after crashing one of the DKC games. The DMA uploads to VRAM for the sprite tiles (chars) failed to work, but the OAM (tilemap/tile arrangements) would still update. The results were similar to this, only not with Japanese font characters.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 12th, 2023, 8:45 am

Interesting. I didn’t use save states, besides after being K.rool. but a couple times I paused the emulator. Could that cause it? Thanks for your help, Rainbow Sprinklez and Matt! :parry;
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2