On-cartridge Gameplay Demos of the DKC trilogy

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

On-cartridge Gameplay Demos of the DKC trilogy

Postby Qyzbud » March 23rd, 2008, 10:57 pm

Gather, one and all, and discuss the demonstrative wonders that are...
The On-cartridge Gameplay Demos of the DKC trilogy!

I know, I know... in-game demos are never terribly exciting. It always seems that whoever is recording the demos is playing the game for the first time... but dull as they may be, they are a facet of DKC gaming which I haven't heard as a topic of discussion before, so here's a topic just them!

(I personally think Nintendo ought to have hired Arne or Tompa to show what the DKCs have to offer, but hey... ;))

Okay, the demos of DKC2 and 3 are ones you've likely seen at some stage, but something surprising that a little birdy just told me is that DKC's Japanese release has its own gameplay demo, too! It wouldn't win any awards for awesomeness, but the gameplay is somewhat competent. After the game intro, a short (20-30 secs) gameplay demo is shown for a level (Jungle Hijinxs first). Then after another showing of the intro, another level is demo'ed, and so on. In DKC2, the demo differs slightly from the PAL version to other regions. The gameplay shown is terribly uninspiring in all versions, but it seems that the NTSC and JAP versions are actually out of synch or something... At least by the time DKC3 came around, the demo's actually had a little polish and variety to them, and even showed some of the game's interesting and unique tricks.

The main surprises for me are that DKC was given a demo for the Japanese release only, and that DKC2's demo gameplay is attrocious, and even out-of-synch in most versions. It's also interesting to note that both of these games' demos begin from a continue barrel. Odd that... Well, if anybody feels like discussing these rather peculiar things, or indeed anything else regarding the gameplay demos of DKC or its sequels, please... be my guest!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: On-cartridge Gameplay Demos of the DKC trilogy

Postby Simion32 » March 24th, 2008, 5:54 am

I think that DKC2's demo (NTSC anyway) were so bad... just pitiful, it's as if they just handed the controller to a 3-year-old and let him tap on the buttons (OK, that was a bit out-of-proportion, but you get the idea). And they just run out of lives in Hornet Hole... not really going to encourage anyone to play the game, that's for sure. Also, most of the DKC2 demos, if not all of them, PAUSE THE GAME in the middle of playing and cut to a different level. Where's the action in that?! I'd rather make it play a whole single level, than bit and pieces of several levels. I know the demo can be longer (just take a look at Super Demo World TLC - its demo is two minutes or longer! Yeah, it's not DKC related, but what else am I going to compare to?).

I'll have to check out the JAP DKC demos - I've watched them but it's been a while.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Stone » March 25th, 2008, 12:17 am

Would it make sense to include these videos somewhere on the main site under a section like "What is DKC? Show me!"
Of course the filesize could be to high and use up to much bandwidth. What do you think?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » March 25th, 2008, 3:23 am

In a way it would make sense, although these demos miss practically all of the good stuff. I'd like to have a little gameplay footage clip for each DKC, which just gives a good feel for the dynamics, variety and spirit of each game - not about glitches, for a change... ;) I think I would like to do the footage myself, though. Usually I like to use any 'official' stuff for the sake of keeping things universally familiar... but in this case I'd prefer to make my own.

Maybe having the intros hosted/linked here for the sake of this discussion would make sense, though. Perhaps I'll do that.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » March 25th, 2008, 6:19 am

I'll rip each and every DKC2/DKC3 gameplay demo and post them on YouTube. I'll make it a project.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Return to General DKC Discussion