Donkey Kong Island [fan game]

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos [fan game]

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 8th, 2013, 9:42 am

DKC2 KLOMP RE-IMAGINED

Now don't get confused folks, I'm not talking about KLUMP I'm referring to KLOMP from DKC2 (Standard pirate Kritter) I want to do the DKC2 Kremling Kuthroats Krew but I don't just want to put a kritter in pirate pants and retexture him (I already have a kritter) So I decided to completely redesign Klomp. He's not finished and is missing a few vertexs but I still wanted to show off his concept here. I hope you guys like him! let me know what you think!
Klomp Idle

Klomp Run

Klomp Walk

Klomp from Behind view

EDIT--------> I just noticed there is music playing in these clips oops! Sorry guys I was listening to some DKC OC remix music while I was recording the videos and I forgot fraps records sound too! Also we are now on page 3 with 100 replies!!!!! YAY!!!!!!
ALSO If anybody has any suggestions on what specific kremling pirates I should make please suggest one!!!!! I know I will probably do Kannon but who else should I try doing? The pirate Kremlings were awesome and I want to do at least 5 of them so any suggestions folks?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » August 8th, 2013, 9:49 am

Wow.... wow.... just... wow... this is absolutely incredible. The *ONLY* thing I would change is the name... Since he no longer has a peg leg... he no longer "Klomps."

Maybe something like Krewmen or Bukkaneer or something... I dunno. I'll have to think of more "K" piratey words to suggest that are better.

Also... I would give you a hundred bananas for that post if I could...
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 8th, 2013, 9:58 am

I like Krewmen....... maybe skally wag? Scaley Wag? (am I spelling this right? like scales)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » August 8th, 2013, 10:06 am

Being the piratey-history loser that I am, I took the liberty of looking up piratey words and here is what I came up with...
Spoiler tabs reveal the real word and definition.

Kapstan
Spoiler!
Capstan - a mechanism for raising and anchor, on larger ships this would often be a large ratcheted pulley with several spoke that a number of crewmen turned to wind the anchor cable up, raising the anchor a little at a time

Korsair
Spoiler!
Corsair - maybe derived from the island name Corsica, pirate or pirate ship, esp. of Barbary (N. Africa in olden times), attacking ships of European countries; also, a French privateer, or Knights of Malta fighting the Barbary pirates. Other origins may be the Latin word corsus meaning plunder.

Koxswain
Spoiler!
coxswain - A person who usually steers a ship's boat and has charge of its crew.

Karouser
Spoiler!
carouser - One who drinks wassail and engages in festivity, especially riotous drinking.

Kordage
Spoiler!
cordage - The ropes on a ship used to control its sails.

Klipper
Spoiler!
clipper - a fast moving ship

Kog
Spoiler!
cog - a small warship

Kommandeer
Spoiler!
commandeer - to take by force

Just thought some other piratey words might help ;)

Also... this website has a bunch of piratey words. You can click on the "Cs" and get a big, long list...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » August 8th, 2013, 11:12 am

Klomp looks pretty decent. The animations are good but he walks a bit like a zombie(was that your intent?). His walking from behind looks great. Did you model him by scratch? And what program are you using to animate?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » August 8th, 2013, 12:24 pm

If I'm not mistaken, that program is Blender.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 8th, 2013, 7:00 pm

DKC2 KLOMP RE-IMAGINED

There comes a time in every mans life where he must move on. I am moving on this will be the final version of DKC2 Klomp. I decided to go ahead and give him the peg-leg. I gave him a limp but I didn't like the way it looked in the long run so he now has a more "normal" style walk. I'm not going to spend too much time on one character. One day is enough moving on to do Kutlas, Cat O' Nine tails, and Kannon. (maybe Kackle and Mr.X too) I will say this, expect a whole crew of pirate kremlings as I will be remaking Gangplank Galleon the first world of DKC2 :)
DKC 2 Klomp Final Version

And in response to Cyclone's question, you know I'm using 3DS Max Autodesk 2010 for the models and the Unity Plugin for animation. The Klomp model was made custom from differnt model parts Kip's head and tail retextured on a pirate body/w parrot (tony hawks underground) with K Rool's hand and feet retextured the peg-leg is the handle from the hammer in super smash bros brawl
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 10th, 2013, 10:23 pm

DKC2 Kutlas Re-Imagined

Just in case ye didn't know, THERE BE PIRATES IN THESE WATERS MATE!!!! ye be warned! Arrrrr :)

(Currently I am experiencing major issues making the rig work right with swords in his hands. As you can see from the video below the swords distort and break up like crazy with the current rig. I am working on this like a mad man! and I will post a new video once this MAJOR bug is fixed)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 14th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Hello all, I just wanted to share something. This past weekend I went to the beach with my 8 year old son and my girlfriend. I took my ASUS G75V with me (freakin monster laptop, core i7, 2GBS video ram on GeForce GTX chip 16 GB system ram and 2 TB hdds!!!) Anyway I took the beastly laptop with me because I planned on visiting some museums hanging out on the beach and drawing some inspiration from the trip and then in the night I would work on the game. Well the first night I was just tired from the trip and wanted to sleep, but the the next day Sunday is where all the crazy happened. I was out playing in the ocean like a kid (as I always do when going to the beach) my son and girlfriend were at the shore playing and I remember I was yelling something silly to my son when a monster wave hit me from behind and caught me by surprise. I swallowed a whole bunch of salt water all at once, now knowing this and feeling this burning nasty salty sensation all the way down to my stomach my natural instinct was to spit this stuff out as would be with anybody. As I stood there in the waves I was unaware that a storm was brewing and fast, I was more focused on getting this salt water out! Another monster wave caught me by surprise as I was trying to spit the salty mess out and this one took me under! It took me under and another larger wave followed enveloping me deep into the water and actually pulling me away from the shore an additional 5 feet. I quickly realized I needed to get moving, however my arms would not move! my legs were moving but my arms were like jello, it was the strangest thing ever my brain was saying "move arms" and my arms were saying "no don't want to" I kept going deeper and deeper mind you I still had this water inside my mouth and throat and stomach, I WAS DROWNING!!!!!! As I struggled to build momentum and get back to shore only with my legs moving I managed to poke my head out of the water and yell my girlfriends name 2 times and help 2 times. That was it I was under after that. I was completely terrified All of the water was surrounding me and I could just barely see the light from the sky and I heard the water in my ears and my son screaming and crying "dad, dad, somebody save him!" In that moment several thoughts went racing through my head, the first and most dominant thought was "I'm going to die, I'm not going to make it, this is it for me I am going to drown in the ocean at age 30, really this is it?" The next thought was "I don't want to die, I will never get to see my girlfriend again and my son will be traumatized for life, God please don't let me die in front of him" Now here is the last one you guys are not going to believe "Da** it I wanted to finish making Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos" YES REALLY. I was about to die and I was sure I was going to die and one of my last thoughts was this project. Is that a sad thing? I don't know, but I think it's a good thing. It means this project is very important to me and I have put a lot of my heart into it. Rest assured folks I will make this the best darn fan game you guys have ever seen.
Anyway the lifeguard managed to pull me out of the water just in the nick of time and stood there lecturing me about swimming too far out in the ocean when a storm is brewing as I was vomiting all the salt water all over the beach and listening to my son and girlfriend say "oh my God, Oh my God, oh my God" over and over. I don't even like people to talk to me while I'm vomiting so you can imagine how uncomfortable I was with this guy lecturing me about swimming. Anyway I spent the rest of the night hallucinating from the salt water I guess (I actually saw Kazooie's green boots running down the street) so no work got done on the game this weekend BUT I AM OK AND WILL BE WORKING ON IT NON STOP THIS WEEK
fun stuff
just wanted to share that. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby sonosublime » August 14th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Wow. Drowning wouldn't be a pleasant way to go. Glad to hear you're alright.
It is a little strange that you were thinking about your unfinished game :scratch: But it's nice to hear that you're so passionate about it. That passion will take you a long way.
Good luck with everything.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Phyreburnz » August 15th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Wow... that's crazy. I'm glad you're okay.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » August 16th, 2013, 1:40 pm

I have often pondered what would happen to my family if I suddenly died. Like you, I have a project I'm working on as well, and constantly wonder what would become of it without my direction. If any of us were to die, and mind you I hope this doesn't happen anytime soon, I'd hope that someone would have the decency to post it on the Atlas. That way, we don't wonder where Jeffrey_Bones or Super Luigi! has gone when they don't post for six months. So in conclusion, I hope you recover successfully, Jeffrey_Bones, and I wish you a long and prosperous life.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 16th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Kalypso Re-Imagined: DKC 2 Style!!!!! (pirate themed Kalypso)

Running Animation

Walking Animation

Jumping Animation
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » August 17th, 2013, 12:36 am

I absolutely love your re imagined characters. Are you planning on doing any original characters, too? I would absolutely love to see you come up with some of your own, too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 17th, 2013, 1:17 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I absolutely love your re imagined characters. Are you planning on doing any original characters, too? I would absolutely love to see you come up with some of your own, too.

Yes! There will be Krawler and Klimber fat Kremlings that will crawl and climb respectively. I will also be doing a few original pirate Kremlings after I finish Kannon and Krook. Klomp almost became an original character until I decided to go ahead and add his peg-leg. There actually aren't very many of the pirate Kremlings to re-make so I kind of have to breed some new ones. Kludge will also be getting a pirate make over, because I was never really fond of Kruncha and I don't want to re-make him.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 19th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Davy Bones (Inspired by DK: King of Swing Davy Bones and DKC2 Kackle)

Ahoy here be Davy Bones mates, Re-Imagened and such in the spirit of DKC2. Does anybody think he should lose the jacket? I mean looking at him I think it's a bit too much clothes but I don't know. Opinions?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » August 20th, 2013, 7:13 am

He looks like the dead kremling in dk64.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » August 20th, 2013, 10:25 am

Keep the jacket, His arms could be thicker.

by the way still want the gnawty? what version of max you using?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 20th, 2013, 11:57 am

Cyclone wrote:Keep the jacket, His arms could be thicker.

by the way still want the gnawty? what version of max you using?

Yeah he's a little on the scrawny side..... I do want the Gnawty, just the regular one I don't need the one you put in a wheel. I'm using Autodesk 3DS max 2010.

@Phyreburnz I'm not sure what dead Kremling you are speaking of........ I do remember a skeleton Kremling from DK64 but my memory isn't what it used to be and I haven't played that game in years. I will look on the Donkey Kong Wiki to find out his name and compare the two

Edit-------> Ok I just looked you are talking about Krossbones. Even after looking and seeing him I still don't remember too much about him. They do look alike though it wasn't my intention. Now I want to play DK64 lol
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » November 9th, 2013, 1:56 am

Hello all,
Just dropping in to let you all know that this project has not been abandoned and I am still aiming for a release this month. :) We are looking at November 29 or November 30. I have just been keeping everything under wraps as I don't want to spoil the fun. I will give you guys a few details however:

The game will be much smaller than originally planned (Sorry but I can't include all my ideas it's just too much!) 15 Levels only
The game as of this writing will only feature a small handful of animal buddies Rambi, Expresso, Engaurde and Giraffe-In-A-Box. (no Squawks)
The game will have 3 playable characters Donkey,Diddy, and Dixie. There may be one hidden playable character if I have time to include him.
The game will only have 2 bosses.
The game may be updated in the future depending on feedback / maybe even a sequel.

KLOMP RETEXTURED TO RESEMBLE ORIGINAL KLOMP
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » November 27th, 2013, 4:39 am

Thank you for updating us on your progress, Jeffrey_Bones! I really like the fact that, while riding Expresso, Dixie seems relaxed, Diddy is wearing sunglasses, and Donkey seems confident. Great job on the different personalities, and may you one day finish this project with honor and glory!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » November 29th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Hello All, today is November 29 which is when I had intended to finish the project however working out the mechanics of riding the animal buddies has proven to be more difficult than I originally thought. I'm not sure exactly when I will be finished with the project but I am working on it like a mad man so it will be soon. I will keep you all updated as to when I have a more realistic release date. :) until then heres the rambi sprites
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » November 30th, 2013, 8:50 pm

THIS GUY... THIS GUY RIGHT HERE HAS BEEN A PAIN HE IS THE REASON THIS IS TAKING SO LONG!!!!! BLAME ENGAURDE LOL
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Cyclone » December 1st, 2013, 4:31 pm

Dixie and the fish look good. what do they look like animated?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 6th, 2013, 1:33 pm

well this is always encouraging. This is a huge set back to the project. Anybody here familiar with Game Maker know what this error message means? I'm assuming it trying to tell me that there is too much sprite data for it to run.... I'm testing some things now

EDIT-----> Well I just proved my theory correct. My HD sprites are just too big for Game Maker to handle so I will have to make each one less frames. This means a they will not be as visually impressive as I was planning. Hopefully I can still retain a fluid look. I just reduced Dixie's walk cycle of 164 frames to 28 frames. essentially it's the same animation but it's lacking a lot of frames it had before. The game runs fine now. Have to do this with all the new characters I created, Diddy, Klomp, Davy Bones ect ect.....
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » December 7th, 2013, 9:17 am

Yeah.... this is another problem I'll have to get around with DELTA. Running out of RAM is an issue in DELTA's HiRes Mode too.

It appears that the coders didn't allow for extra-large graphics in games (that is, beyond the RAM limit).

...but if your game has THAT MUCH graphics, the exe will probably be at least the size of a CD before you are finished. Last I heard, in Game Maker, the graphics are stored in fully uncompressed color in the game files. EXTREMELY inefficient if you ask me. Perhaps newer GMs have PNG compression now?

------------------------------------------
Another possibility is that the game needs TOO MUCH contiguous RAM and will not start unless it gets everything it wants in one big graphics data block. Not everyone has 8GB+ of free RAM to throw at a memory hungry HD game.

Remember, in order to show one graphics frame of any animation, it has to be in RAM and fully uncompressed!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 9th, 2013, 3:58 pm

This is Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos. I am working out game mechanics of using multiple Kongs simultaneously. The name of this area will be Swordfish Shore. It will be 1 of 3 beach themed levels in the game. you can't tell from this video, but there will be several swordfish in this level interacting with the characters and in the background. These swordfish will be like Engaurde the famous animal buddy but different sizes and colors. The other 2 levels that will be beach themed will be Reptile Resort and Toxic Tide. Reptile Resort will also have background kremlings who seem to be on vacation and enjoying themselves but will interact with on screen players. Toxic Tide will be a completely polluted beach with a green toxic ocean, and several dumb drums, along with dying palm trees and mutant animals. this beach was to be polluted by Kremco factories (hence all the dumb drums that will be lying around) The reason why I am doing 3 different beaches is in the classic DKC games a lot of levels were repeat themes but they changed color pallets to make a difference, same concept here but it will be different styles of beaches.

EDIT-----> on a side note I just noticed that Cranky Kong will be the fourth playable character in tropical freeze...... really Nintendo? Now why didn't I think of that months ago with my fan game? IRONIC that I actually thought of this before and now Nintendo is doing it!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 14th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Sort of an idea what the game-play of the actual game will be. This is a W.I.P. Level I call Frosty Forest where you can see all 3 kongs on screen at once performing their signature moves (IGNORE DKS ROLLING SPRITE PLEASE I JUST HAVEN'T SWAPPED OUT THE NEW ONE) I'm still trying to get the movements right when controlling multiple kongs
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » December 15th, 2013, 2:33 pm

While I always love to see your video updates, I must ask some questions. First, does the player control the three Kongs in all levels or just in Frosty Forest? Second, are the Kongs supposed to move at the exact same time? Third, why is Dixie happily staring off into space? :dixiehappy: Did something very beneficial recently happen between her and Diddy in your game? Overall, you've done great work Jeffrey_Bones, and I'm eagerly awaiting your next news report!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 15th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:While I always love to see your video updates, I must ask some questions. First, does the player control the three Kongs in all levels or just in Frosty Forest? Second, are the Kongs supposed to move at the exact same time? Third, why is Dixie happily staring off into space? :dixiehappy: Did something very beneficial recently happen between her and Diddy in your game? Overall, you've done great work Jeffrey_Bones, and I'm eagerly awaiting your next news report!

Always good to have your feedback Super Luigi. :) first question, you will be able to control all 3 kongs in all levels and use their different abilitys for certain situations, just like in the classic DKC games. Second question, No they are not supposed to move at the exact same time that is what I'm trying to work out now, they will more or less shadow the movements of the player you are controlling in this video the main player is DK. you will swap out characters just like in Sonic Heroes and again the classic DKC games. As for Dixie's happiness I am trying to make her personality girly and happy go lucky....I'm satisfied so far. I will also try to make diddy more cool and hip and DK more gorilla-ish....
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » December 16th, 2013, 6:17 am

General programming tip:

Kong-Following has to be implemented by a stack of "history" follow-states, so that each state in the stack has information of what animation and what frame in it should be shown, as well as the position the leader was at.

From there you should be able to tweak it so that the other Kongs stop behind the Kong in front of them instead of right on top of the leader Kong.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 16th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Simion32 wrote:General programming tip:

Kong-Following has to be implemented by a stack of "history" follow-states, so that each state in the stack has information of what animation and what frame in it should be shown, as well as the position the leader was at.

From there you should be able to tweak it so that the other Kongs stop behind the Kong in front of them instead of right on top of the leader Kong.

Hmmmm.... I think I know what you mean. I used to do this thing in m.u.g.e.n. where I was setting up hyper combos and I had a set state of which the fighter would be in at a given time, the following linkers to the combo would depend on the prior moves executed which depending on the level of hyper combo the fighter was performing COULD set the player into the next state, but it would all depend on the prior linkers. I can see how this would help in this case too, in game maker there are a couple of ways I can do this.... this can be done in the step sequence of the main player or I could create a script for the shadowing player, either way I think it would work out the same. THANKS

OH YEAH AND Simion I have been searching around on google for a way to compress the graphics in game maker, I don't think it's possible, I did however find some stuff about making resources such as large sprites separate from the game and then loaded in via a .dll similar to the way some game maker games import external model files, but I don't know if this will really be any help because you still have to load the sprite into the ram. I think that will just free up disk space of the game and not really increase performance in any way, in fact that to me sounds like it could hinder performance. IDK
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » December 16th, 2013, 3:43 pm

It will hinder performance the more "hoops" your data needs to get copied through - so, yeah, it would just be slower loading everything from external files as opposed to the normal way from within your GM exe file.

You basically won't be able to save any RAM at all if Game Maker itself doesn't provide any engine-supported runtime compression.

This is the type of thing that *HAS TO* be done on the "base engine" level of things. Therefore, no amount of messing around in Game Maker itself would give you proper runtime graphics compression.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » December 18th, 2013, 8:29 am

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:
Sort of an idea what the game-play of the actual game will be. This is a W.I.P. Level I call Frosty Forest where you can see all 3 kongs on screen at once performing their signature moves (IGNORE DKS ROLLING SPRITE PLEASE I JUST HAVEN'T SWAPPED OUT THE NEW ONE) I'm still trying to get the movements right when controlling multiple kongs

I really like the new level archetype. :thumbs: One comment though. The sound dk makes is a little weird. It sounds rough and not ape like or human like(am I making sense?)

About the Gwawty sprites. PM me again on the exact details on what you need and I will do my best to give them to you before the end of the weekend.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » December 19th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Loving those graphics. And from what I remember correctly, you can stack positions and sprite states in arrays, and then have the following character move according to those variables, swapping out new values with a 'for loop'.

I remember you asking me for a story for this game a while ago. Do you still need one?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 19th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Constructing Cat O 9 Tails (W.i.p.)
Meowths' feet and paws, Diddy Kong's arms legs and belly, Tails' head, body and part of face, Banjo's jaw and nose,
Diddy Kong's tail cloned 9 times.
After I finish shaping out the model I will apply my custom textures that will make this guy look exactly like Cat O 9 Tails from DKC2. Then he will be rigged animated in the Unity player.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » December 19th, 2013, 6:09 pm

That's one bizarre-looking Frankenstein job you've got there! Good luck with the shaping/texturing. :)

Funnily enough, if you want to make this guy look exactly like Cat o' 9 Tails, you may need to remove two of those tails — curiously, Rare's design appears to only have seven. :scratch:

Spoiler!

Of course, it's possible that two tails are "hidden" directly behind other tails — it's hard to tell with only one render to refer to.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 19th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Kritter Re-Design
Yes Qyzbud at the moment Cat o 9 Tails is a little rough, but he is only a very early work in progress. As you can see from my new Kritter design I do possess the skills to make him look genuine, no luck will be needed at all with CO9T, only time. Also if you are looking at the renders and game art Rare released CO9T has 7 tails in the renders however if you go to the spriters resource and look at his actual in game sprite I BELIEVE he actually has 9 tails. You know Qyzbud I'm starting to get the impression that your not too fond of my work. :(
^Qyzbud count the tails in the sprite rip ^
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » December 20th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Awesome start! I can't wait to see the finished product! Quite the interesting character combo!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 20th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Here is a status update on CO9Ts

The head will need to be reshaped as the real CO9Ts' head is narrow at the top and wider towards the bottom. here we have the opposite. also the mouth part of the real CO9T's is more rounded and distinct. I will try to stretch these vertexs to match but for now I'm going to bed
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 22nd, 2013, 11:55 am

Cat O' 9 Tails FINAL MODEL (Call it Re-Imagined)

So here he is folks. I know he doesn't look exactly like Rare's version, but I feel like it's close enough. I'm not aiming to exactly replicate the old characters anyway as most of my characters are re-imagined versions of the originals. I couldn't get the shape of his head quite right so I left it alone. Once he's animated I believe he will suffice. I got most of his details right anyway, big distinct mouth, whiskers, nine tails, color ect ect.... Thoughts?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » December 22nd, 2013, 2:02 pm

Your "final" version has come a long way indeed, and looks really nice... but as I mentioned in chat, the face still bears a strong resemblance to that of Miles "Tails" Prower. I know it's a difficult thing to adjust (and it looks nice enough as-is), but a closer resemblance to the Cat o' 9 Tails would make your work more original and complete. :)

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:After I finish shaping out the model I will apply my custom textures that will make this guy look exactly like Cat O 9 Tails from DKC2.

Qyzbud wrote:Funnily enough, if you want to make this guy look exactly like Cat o' 9 Tails, you may need to remove two of those tails — curiously, Rare's design appears to only have seven.

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:
Spoiler!

^Qyzbud count the tails in the sprite rip ^

Well that's a good point — the sprite rip does seem to have the full complement of nine tails... I didn't have the game handy at the time, and I had a quick search for such a sprite sheet (a very brief one, obviously!), but didn't find that, so I only had the render and some wikis to refer to... I guess all of these wikis could benefit from this observation. ;)

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:You know Qyzbud I'm starting to get the impression that your not too fond of my work.

Honestly, all I was trying to do here in regards to Co9T's tail count was point out (what I thought was) an artistic inaccuracy; if you're referring to my comment about the construction process —
That's one bizarre-looking Frankenstein job you've got there! Good luck with the shaping/texturing. :)
— I was genuinely wishing you good luck, as it looked like you'd given yourself a difficult task.

Also, I have said on numerous occasions that the models/animations you've put together are nice, so I hope you don't think I'm being overly negative… but at the same time, I do wonder how much of what we see is really your work. Often it seems to me that you're basically taking credit for the work of others, which is obviously not an honourable thing to do; whenever you use a model, animation or texture ripped from a game, or created by someone else, I believe you should be giving credit to those who did the groundwork.

In my opinion, using somebody else's work/resources is fine, so long as permission (from them) and credit (to them) are both given. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 22nd, 2013, 2:16 pm

Well thanks for the clarification. I honestly am not ripping anybody off, however I have been making my models off of parts of other models just like CO9T's model here. And some elements are actually game rips. I didn't know that all the wikis had pretty much deemed it fact that CO9T's only has 7 tails. I ALWAYS noticed he had 9 in game and 7 in the renders and promo art! Even when I was a kid! He was one of my favorite baddies so I remember counting his tails as a kid..... Interesting find
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » December 22nd, 2013, 2:45 pm

You have been good about sharing where the models come from, but it's the animations that I don't think you've ever explained. I remember asking you about how you created them/where they came from multiple times, and never getting a proper answer.

The animation movements are really fluid and professional looking, and they seem like they were taken from a stock animation library or something...

Perhaps you could explain your animation process now — or where they come from?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 22nd, 2013, 2:48 pm

mixamo.com. Autorigger and Unity player. BUT I also edited some like Dixie's ponytail I had to edit that out of more than one animation
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » December 22nd, 2013, 2:53 pm

Okay, it's good to finally hear where they came from. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 7th, 2014, 5:08 am

I thought i would give you guys a glimpse at my other project that has been put to rest in favor of this one. It's not DK related but it is the exact same engine and I built DKC:KC off of everything you see here. This one is probably going to be scrapped now as DK is my main focus but I just wanted to show you guys my capabilities as a creator.
Canceled Fan Game Sonic Xtreme GM8/ Sonic Xtreme RETURNS
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 7th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Introducing Jonathan Dan from Deviant art

I have been talking with Jonathan Dan from Deviant art about using some of his models in my project. He has already been very generous and sent me 3 models. Kiddy Kong, Klump and his version of Krusha. The other models of his I am trying to use are Kruncha, Klobber, Krumple, Kannon, Kutlass, Banana bird, Banana Bird Queen, KAOS, The hovercraft from DKC3, the Skull cart and several Krazy Kremland props. This is starting to come together really well. I think this collaboration will work out nicely. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks