The Random Thoughts Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 18th, 2023, 11:12 pm

WesternTanager794 wrote:Off the point,

How DARE you go off point in the 'Random Thoughts Topic' topic :P

WesternTanager794 wrote:Everyone is nice here

Not me. I'm a mean ass mf and I won't tolerate you destroying my image by calling me 'nice' :)
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 19th, 2023, 12:51 am

Mattrizzle wrote:1485. highest
Everyone is generally likeable here! :thumbs:

rainbowsprinklez wrote:1486. "pair"
Not true! I secretly hate you! :)

rainbowsprinklez wrote:1495. "and"
Super Luigi I was joking and talking to Matt... I sincerely hope he didn't take it seriously...

Joking again? :diddywink: But if the other is true, then you've had me fooled for a very long time Rainbow Sprinklez.

Not off the point, Super Luigi, with your cave stories, did this play a role of inspiration?
Spoiler!

I also love that version of the Rareware logo. I might replace the "RARE" logo currently in the intro with the aforementioned.

And, well, I tried making some avatars, but I decided that none of my ideas would turn out. One was a collection of every version of Enguarde sprite. And there was Diddy, Dixie, DK, and Kiddy riding animal buddies. And some others, but same result. I don't think they can be good enough. Diddy looks great on Ellie surprisingly. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 19th, 2023, 11:16 am

In a way, you're right, Tanager, since that picture is from DK64, and that's where I drew inspiration from. I really like the caves in that game, and the cave behind the Rambi wall in Jungle Japes is my favorite. Speaking of those stories, they don't seem good enough to post here, so I've stopped for now. We'll see if I change my mind, however. Lastly, I don't know what rainbowsprinklez is doing, and since I'd rather not risk being banned, it's best if I ignore him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 19th, 2023, 6:10 pm

Based off of his smileys, I'd bet that he's joking. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 20th, 2023, 11:50 am

Tiny would never let Bowser Jr. capture her, so their performance in Mario Super Sluggers was likely an act. I agree that all the colored Kritters must be assembled to summon K. Rool, however. Something about that makes sense.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 20th, 2023, 12:04 pm

I agree with that. And when did Tiny appear in a Mario game? Wait is that baseball or something? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 21st, 2023, 10:50 am

Mario Super Sluggers is indeed baseball, and that might be her only Mario game appearance.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 21st, 2023, 7:20 pm

Two things. The Rare Witch Project website is for sale?!

Also, what happens when you finally learn no major glitches in entirety and you're attempting your first speedrun.

Also, I discovered that each kong letter makes a different sound! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 22nd, 2023, 12:26 pm

Sometimes, it really is difficult to not perform so well, Tanager. As for my random thought, the foxes have found Dixie once more.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 22nd, 2023, 1:49 pm

Have they? More silly adventures await then! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 23rd, 2023, 1:10 pm

Just for you, Tanager, I'll think of something. Also, as another random thought, cheese.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 23rd, 2023, 5:00 pm

Thanks! To finish your thought perhaps, is the remainder curds? :diddywink:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » May 24th, 2023, 12:55 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:The Rare Witch Project website is for sale?!

Their really old domain that hasn't been used for many years (http://rarewitchproject.net/) says it's for sale, but the website still exists on the same URL it's used since at least 2010, https://www.therwp.com/.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Super Luigi! » May 24th, 2023, 11:43 am

I was only thinking about cheese, Tanager, although curds may also work. Stop N Swop may also appear in Deltarune.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 24th, 2023, 12:03 pm

Random thought: parry should be my dkc3 save file. Is there a good alternative? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 24th, 2023, 1:15 pm

For you, maybe not, given how much you like him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 24th, 2023, 4:53 pm

I think Parry's really fun. And I love birds, (I'm very good at birding) so he has that going for him. Off the point, Several videos I've watched say that Winky only shows up in Winky's Walkway. Thinking about it, he may show up more than any other animal buddy. Millstone Mayhem, Bouncy Bonanza, Rope Bridge Rumble, and maybe I'm forgetting some. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » May 25th, 2023, 1:20 am

Not counting the Animal Token bonuses:
  • Rambi appears in Jungle Hijinxs, Oil Drum Alley, and Manic Mincers (3).
  • Enguarde appears every underwater level in DKC1: Coral Capers, Clam City, Croctopus Chase, and Poison Pond (4).
  • Winky appears in Winky's Walkway, Bouncy Bonanza, Millstone Mayhem, and Rope Bridge Rumble (4).
  • Expresso appears in Temple Tempest, Orang-utan Gang, Ice Age Alley, and Misty Mine (4).
  • Squawks appears only in Torchlight Trouble (1).

Interestingly, this means roughly half of the regular levels in DKC1 (16/33) have an Animal Buddy. Surprising that Rambi appears in one fewer level than the other three ridable ones. Maybe they had a quota and Rambi's fourth appearance was scrapped because of Squawks?

Here's the breakdown by world:
  • Kongo Jungle: 2 (Rambi, Enguarde)
  • Monkey Mines: 3 (Winky x3)
  • Vine Valley: 3 (Expresso x2, Enguarde)
  • Gorilla Glacier: 4 (Expresso, Enguarde, Squawks, Winky)
  • Kremkroc Industries, Inc.: 2 (Rambi, Enguarde)
  • Chimp Caverns: 2 (Rambi, Expresso)

Gorilla Glacier has the biggest variety and quantity of levels with Animal Buddies in the game, with everyone appearing in one except for (oddly) Rambi. Enguarde appears in the most worlds (4), with Rambi and Expresso tied for second (each in 3). Rambi has the longest drought of not appearing in a regular level (he's first seen in the first world, but not seen again until the fifth world).

The info on which levels each Animal Buddy appears in comes from the Super Mario Wiki.

Edit: Squawks doesn't exist in this naming sheet from March 1994, so the idea to include him came later (though Hooter the Owl may originally have been conceptualized to fill the role later given to him).
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 25th, 2023, 8:48 am

Thank you for the breakdown! I think you're right about Rambi's fourth appearance being scrapped. Where would he have gone, though. It would be nice if Rareware wrote books on the history of the development or something like that of the dkc games. That way we could see how it transitioned. And how the bosses were mixed around in DKC2! :dixiehappy: In DKC3, it would be nice to see the development history, levels, since we know unusually little about it. Something I'm forgetting here, though. That I'm curious about. With Gregg Mayles' revelation of beta kleever's kiln, I would love to hear about it. Was it scrapped with king zing sting, though. And was kleever faster? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 25th, 2023, 1:03 pm

Clearly, Rambi should have been in Snow Barrel Blast, due to his bonus area and since Expresso is already in Ice Age Alley. Maybe Rope Bridge Rumble was originally a third snow level? I'd rather have him in Vine Valley somewhere anyhow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 25th, 2023, 3:18 pm

Interesting. For some reason snow barrel blast seems like a rambi level. I like Rope Bridge Rumble as treehouse. Otherwise it’s just a one time level and I like the treehouse levels. But who knows! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 26th, 2023, 12:33 am

Nobody in the game as is, (not including beta text) speaks to Diddy directly except Funky. Does that indicate parentage? Or at least adoption? In DKC1.

Also, I got a 34:57 in DKC no major glitches! Very nice run! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » May 26th, 2023, 1:20 am

Cranky does have lines for talking directly to Diddy, but they're unused just like the level hints:

Diddy boy! Where's Donks?

Diddy, you young pup!
Boy, I can't believe
how much you've grown!

These were probably scrapped for being out-of-character. This didn't stop some of them from being used in the GBA remake, though.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 26th, 2023, 8:53 am

I knew he had text, but I didn't know it was like that. I agree with you that it was scrapped for being out of character. If I remember correctly, Leigh Loveday did the text for Cranky and all of the other kong helpers. I feel like he is that way on scribes on purpose. In the very beginning, he was serious, until he started getting questions that were very ridiculous. I can see that style in Cranky. In DKC2, though, Funky doesn't speak directly to anyone! So it's probably just used and not used. Nothing there, probably. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 26th, 2023, 11:16 am

Not even Funky and David Wise could salvage Tropical Freeze for me. If another Donkey Kong Country game releases, a better team than Retro Studios should develop it. While I'm at it, Breath of the Wild was also awful, and Tears of the Kingdom doesn't look much better. It's certainly sad to see the state of gaming today when these games are considered the best. :rant:

I always knew that I liked Cranky. :nicework:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 26th, 2023, 11:19 am

I didn't think the soundtrack was that bad, but I agree with you, it lacks the elements and cleverness of gameplay that made DKC so special. Is Shigeru Miyamoto still working on games? And yes, the best games today are garbage. We need Cranky back. All graphics and no gameplay! Back in my day, we had a joystick, 4 yellow buttons, L,R, up, down, left, and right, and A, and B, and Z, and we were happy! Even before that we had 10 buttons and that suited us just fine! -- :rant:
:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 26th, 2023, 11:38 am

And now for something completely different: Dixie is a woman, and both her and Kiddy became even more powerful in DKC3.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 26th, 2023, 5:02 pm

Diddy's Dash will show up in my game. Maybe Tiny is an unlockable character upon full completion? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 26th, 2023, 9:49 pm

This is what I worked on! Thanks for the inspiration, Super Luigi! I'll do this for the full game. (Excluding animal buddy levels). How did I do with the format for the first one?

:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 27th, 2023, 1:06 pm

I liked it, but you don't need to play through the whole game like this. You should only do it if you want to.

As for my random thought, I once saw a comic where Dixie and Tiny competed to see who was more sisterly, and in the end, they tied. I didn't create the art either.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 27th, 2023, 1:24 pm

I think it would be cool to learn the dynamics. Some levels don’t seem to matter, though. Like Rattle Battlr. The difference is going to be like .1-.2 seconds.

Did you create the idea or something? Or is Tiny and Dixie doing that a thing?

My random thought of the day is Rattly and Rambi. Do the other animal buddies criticize them for their unwieldiness? Or just speedrunners? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 28th, 2023, 6:05 am

Another DKC fan came up with the idea and drew the comic, and I doubt the other Animal Buddies criticize Rattly and Rambi. They seem like a good family.

Speaking of them, I think all of the Animal Buddies would be dangerous in the wild. Winky seems calm, but he'd likely attack, especially if DK or Diddy were with him, since that's when he's on high alert. I also doubt we could duck underneath Expresso like Klaptraps do.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 28th, 2023, 9:02 am

I agree. The animal buddies are just too nice to do that. And they’re all trying their best so why criticize them? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 28th, 2023, 1:31 pm

There's definitely backstory for why the Animal Buddies like the Kongs. Somehow, I feel like Donkey and Rambi fought each other, while Expresso was drawn towards Diddy.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby Super Luigi! » May 29th, 2023, 1:28 pm

Lanky is definitely a character.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 29th, 2023, 1:42 pm

Glimmers galleon is below rattle battle. Listen to the room where the end target resides in Glimmer’s Galleon. Snakey Chantey! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 30th, 2023, 4:14 am

It could be, although Rattle Battle isn't the next level, so maybe Diddy and Dixie had to take a detour? I'm still considering flowers as well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 30th, 2023, 4:57 am

the ship splits in half about there. maybe that could be it? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 30th, 2023, 11:02 am

I'd say so, and the game might truly start there.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby Super Luigi! » May 30th, 2023, 11:22 am

For another random thought, I think Krystal would work well in a Zelda game, given how Starfox Adventures was apparently like those games. I didn't play too much of Dinosaur Planet, however, although Sabre could be the Red Wizard, only with blue instead.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 31st, 2023, 6:20 am

Sabre was not much of a wizard, though. He had a sword. But the physics of Dinosaur Planet were directly derived from the Ocarina of Time. So your analysis on Krystal could be correct. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 31st, 2023, 11:25 am

I was probably thinking of someone else then, since I remember an old man in the beginning of Dinosaur Planet who looked like a wizard. Krystal in Ocarina of Time would also work, given her child and adult forms.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 1st, 2023, 5:02 am

the old man was randorn. he is the wizard.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » June 1st, 2023, 12:32 pm

Randorn will be the Blue Wizard then. Hopefully, Sabre wasn't the real villain all along, and Krystal could probably defeat an octopus.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 1st, 2023, 5:16 pm

I doubt that Sabre is the true villain. And yes, Krystal could probably defeat an octopus. And maybe even a Kroctopus! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » June 2nd, 2023, 11:49 am

I think she could even defeat the group of blue-ringed Kroctopus on Gorilla Glacier, which are extremely dangerous in real life. For her and the Kongs, however, the worst they could likely do is knock them out, which may be part of the plan sometimes to boost ratings.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 303

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes