Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

A place for discussion of storyline facts and ponderings regarding the DKC trilogy (and beyond, where relevant).
Any facets of Kong and Kremling history - or other similar topics - can be discussed here.

Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 28th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Where is it in relation to DK Island? Are they connected, or is it a seperate island?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 28th, 2008, 11:45 pm

I'm pretty damn sure it's an entirely separate landmass, but I think they're in close proximity. My belief is that when (spoiler!) K. Rool escaped the sinking Crocodile Isle, he drifted by raft to the Northern Kremisphere - which is a continent in its own right.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 28th, 2008, 11:48 pm

That makes sense, but I think that the Northern Kremisphere is a great deal smaller than DK Island or Crocodile Isle.

Do you think that there's a southern Kremisphere? ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 28th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Well Diddy's note (mentioned in DKC3's story, in the instruction booklet) said "Gone exploring the islands with DK, Back tomorrow!", which tells me that there are indeed multiple islands within swimming distance (I'm guessing they swam, although I've no solid info to back up that assumption), and that it would take a while to reach/explore them all... I don't see why there wouldn't be a Southern Kremisphere... It stands to reason, really. ;)

What makes you think the N.K. is smaller than the islands of the two previous games? We don't even get to see it all in the entire of DKC3, which has more levels and a bigger overworld map than either of the previous games... I think all signs suggest that DKC3 is set in by far the biggest island/continent/Kremisphere that we've seen in any DK game to date.

Edit:
I took another look at DKC3's story, and it states that Dixie made her way to the southern part of DK Island and swam to the nearest mainland. To me, that pretty much nails it; mainland refers to literally the main land mass of a country or continent - meaning DK Island is likely an island of the Northern Kremisphere, but DKC3 takes place on a larger land mass... the mainland of that region.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 12:22 am

Well, she doesn't necessarily say that it's DK Island's mainland. I'm willing to believe that the NK is it's own continent, but I refuse to believe that DK Island is a smaller island that is apart of the NK.


Well, when comparing the pictures, I can see some grounds of NK being pretty large, but DK Island's sheer vertical size greatly dwarfs that of the northern Kremisphere.

I personally think that the DK Island shown in DKC is actually larger than it is depicted.... I mean, we can't take the ingame maps as the actual size. Look at it this way, you're in lake orangatanga, in one of the levels. Now, if you look at the location of that level on the world map, it looks very small. But, once you enter this level, you are still the same size as you are on the world map! Either the world map is much larger than it is depicted(in both of the games), or you are much smaller, or the levels themselves are much smaller.

In both of the games it appears that the buildings/caves/characters are sized correctly in relation to the levels, leading me to believe that both world maps are much bigger than they are being shown.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 12:34 am

Have we ever seen the extremities of the NK? I don't think we have any reference for its overall size... It may even have mountain ranges that dwarf Gorilla Glacier's peaks, for all we know. Even levels like Criss Kross Cliffs seem to go on practically forever, which implies some serious vertical height.

I'm not sure how 'to scale' the map screens are in any of the DKC games, as I too have noticed the inconsistencies you just mentioned, but I still firmly believe the continent of the Northern Kremisphere to be a far larger landmass than the island off its coast...

I will search for further evidence. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 12:43 am

Hasn't DK Island also been referred to as a continent?

Also, considering the fact that we haven't see all of NK, I guess we can safely assume that it is larger then DK Island, but I'm still going to consider them two seperate land masses, and that DK Island is not just an island that is apart of the NK.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 12:58 am

I don't recall ever hearing DK Island being referred to as a continent.

What you are now assuming about the NK sounds pretty right to me, but just one thing... I am almost certain that DK Island is part of the continent known as the Northern Kremisphere. Not connected physically, but 'part of' in the ownership sense. I would say Hawaiʻi is a good example - it's an island of the USA (although it's not really all that close to mainland USA, so perhaps it's not the best analogy...). Tasmania's relation to Australia is a far better one, so hopefully you know of our island/state, Tasmania. Australia is a continent, and an island, and a country. Tasmania is an island also, and is part of the continent (and the country) of Australia, but is a separate landmass. Australia is Tasmania's mainland.

Anyway, I'm sure you understood this better before I confused you with this convoluted analogy... :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 1:04 am

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't like it. DK Island maybe just an island, but it is also like an empire owned by the Kongs. DK rules not just Donkey Kong Island, but the DK Isles, the entire group of islands around DK Island. So either DK Island owns the NK, or neither of them are owned by the other.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 1:21 am

So, what other islands are there in the DK Isles? I must confess that I'm only aware of Donkey Kong Island itself... You don't consider Crocodile Isle to be one of the DK Isles, do you? I don't know whether I even believe Crocodile Isle is a real island. I tend to think it's a floating creation, vaguely like K. Rool's craft in DK64, but far larger and more 'established'. That said, perhaps the Lost World is the actual island (a real island, that had sunk below the water's surface), and the rest of the isle is just built over the top of it, as a towering stronghold.

Is that a matter for another topic? :?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 1:30 am

Well, I think that the real island is the Lost World, and the rest is a fabrication created by the Kremling Power Source.

About the DK isles, there's the Sun Sun Islands (From JC), I think there's some new islands in DKL maybe, from what I understand there are several islands in DK64, I'm not sure but Timber's Island may or may not be apart of it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 1:43 am

Ah, so the Sun Sun Islands are part of the DK Isles, eh? Is that why you first came to think of the DK Isles term, rather than just thinking of DK Island as a single island? Maybe the Hawai'i analogy would be appropriate after all. (Hawai'i being an island of Hawaii, of course) And Timber's Island is perhaps also one of the DK Isles? Hrm, I've gotta do more storyline research. It's definitely the facet of DKC knowledge I'm the most hazy with.

Jomingo wrote:Well, I think that the real island is the Lost World, and the rest is a fabrication created by the Kremling Power Source.

Woah, you think the castles/rollercoasters were built by magical energy? Or are you meaning the the KPS generated the landmass, on which these things were built by the Kremlings? (The Kremlings, having been physically and mentally enhanced by the KPS. At least in my little explanation)

Spoiler!
Something to keep in mind: 'apart' means not together. I think you are meaning 'a part'.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 1:49 am

Spoiler!
You are right, that was a spelling mistake.


Yes, I meant that the KPS created the Islands surface, not the Kremling made structures.

Is that where you first came to think of the DK Isles term...

I didn't think of the "DK Isles" term, it's been used on and off as a synonym for DK Island for years. People always either refer to it as DK Island or the DK Isles.

I'll have to read through the DKU's Geography topic again to remember more info about the DK Isles.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 1:52 am

Uh oh! More DKU 'knowledge'! Cover your ears, children! :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 2:44 am

Seriously, you can learn a lot by watching people argue on the DKU.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » August 29th, 2008, 9:03 am

Jomingo wrote:Well, she doesn't necessarily say that it's DK Island's mainland. I'm willing to believe that the NK is it's own continent, but I refuse to believe that DK Island is a smaller island that is apart of the NK.

It is.
Look at the snapshot...

The whole "Northern Kremisphere is surrounded by mountains. And the water runs from top to bottom, meaning the time Dixie and Kiddy traveled they went upwards.
The water leads to an exit in the bottom-left part of the map. If we remember this was from where Dixie entered when the game first started up.
Dixie Kong wrote:I'll swim to the southern part of DK Island and swin to the nearest mainland.

This place is part of DK Isles, which includes: DK Island, what it was of Crocodile Isle, and this mainland.
Remember this place doesn't have a proper name. It says nothing about it in the manual (I don't know about the Player's Guide). The only place where we can take the name off is from the official soundtrack.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby CaptainEddie » August 29th, 2008, 9:44 am

Wasn't DK Isles the name of the main place in DK64?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26
Posts: 432
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Rodent » August 29th, 2008, 10:17 am

Best thread ever! :D

About the Kremlings and their power source - does that mean that they're just drones or something, like maybe the Zerg in Starcraft? Because I always liked to think of their society as a monarchy... :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3
Posts: 370
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 11:05 am

Kiddy14, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. How does that snapshot prove anything about it's relation to DK Island? And what do you mean "this place doesn't have a proper name"? Of course it has a name, it's clearly called the Northern Kremisphere in-game, and I think in the manual.


This is as far as I'd be willing to believe:
I would accept that the NK is larger than DK Island, as long as it was owned by DK Island. Like the DK Isles are all owned by Donkey Kong, and though DK Island is not the largest it is like the "capital" of the DK Isles. It is not the other way around. It's either that, or the two are completely unrelated.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » August 29th, 2008, 11:33 am

Jomingo wrote:How does that snapshot prove anything about it's relation to DK Island?[...]Of course it has a name, it's clearly called the Northern Kremisphere in-game, and I think in the manual.

The manual says:
"She made her way to the southern part of DK Island and swam to the nearest mainland."
When the game first starts up, Dixie appears from the bottom-left of the map. Meaning DK Island is to the left of the Northern Kremisphere map. If we put cardinal points the North in the map is to where Dixie came off.
And that's exactly why I mean with the "proper name". The Northern Kremispheres must be where DK Isles are. Like a continent or a geographical point. This place can't be called like that if it is to the "south" of DK Island.
Oh, and I looked at my DKC3 manual and game and couldn't find any mention of the "Northern Kremisphere". =S
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 11:49 am

Oh, I see what you are saying. You're saying that it can't be the "northern" kremisphere if she swam south to get there. But that's not necessarily true. What if the "northern" kremisphere isn't referring to DK Island, but to other kremispheres!? What if this is the northern most of the "kremispheres"? I mean, they wouldn't call it the northern Kremisphere if their wasn't at least one other Kremisphere.

Or I guess it's possible that, like you said, the "northern kremisphere" is just referring to the general area. I mean, that kinda makes sense considering the name. What is a "kremisphere" anyway?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Well, I'd say that the Northern Kremisphere is DEFINITELY bigger than DK island/isles/whatever, but I doubt it's the mainland DK island belongs to. It may be close, but DK island is ruled by the kongs, and obviously the northern KREMisphere is owned by the Kremlings, or so the name would lead us to believe, so although they may be within swimming distance, the Kremisphere is not DK island's mainland.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » August 29th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Now this is getting confusing... =S
I doubt the Northern Kremisphere is ruled by the Kremlings. Wrinkly Kong lives there, Funky has his shop and Brothers Bear too. I don't think they would like to live in enemy's territory.
Jomingo wrote:What is a "kremisphere" anyway?

I think that's a pun in the word "hemisphere".
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Yeah, that much is obvious. But as for what you said, remember Wrinkly also had a school on Crocodile Isle, and Cranky had a Museum, funky had a plane-hire shop and swanky had a game show studio.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 30th, 2008, 1:01 am

Yeah, I don't think that they would mind living in "enemy territory", as they all did it in DKC2.

The pun about hemisphere is obvious, but I'm just saying that a hemisphere is not a specific land mass, it's a divider of the globe into halves. So I don't see how that could be used to describe a landmass such as this. I think that it's possible that a "Kremisphere" is a term used to describe the region that Kremlings inhabit, and that the Northern Kremisphere is describing the northern region of Kremling inhabited territory. Only that would mean that the Kremlings live in a much greater radius then that of which we've seen, and since the Kremlings way of life revolves around the Kremling source power on Crocodile Isle, I doubt that they would extend that far away from it.

About the NK being Kremling territory, I doubt it. The story describes DK and Diddy exploring the islands, until Kremlings show up on shore and kidnap them. I think that the area is a territory of DK Island, and that's why DK wanted to explore it, afterall a King must know his kingdom. This would also explain why Wrinkly has so many vacation caves set up there, I know she lived on Crocodile Isle, but that was for work, and I doubt she would stay in Kremling territory after she retired. Swanky doesn't really prove the point either way, I think he would just set up his shop wherever he can make the money. As for Funky, I know he setup his airports on CI, but this time he has his own garage. I think that if he had a garage to use for experimenting with mechanics, it would be close to home. Now, I know we don't necessarily know where his home is persay, but I think it's safe to assume he lives in Kong owned territory.

Though, another possibility is that it's owned by the Bears, though I think this is less likely.

Here's another question, where did the krems go after Crocodile Isle sank?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » August 30th, 2008, 5:16 am

You have said it... Wrinkly has her school, she does not live there; her home is in the NK. Funky has Funky's Flights, it's an airport; CI may have visitants, but does not live there. Swanky has his show, but he does not live there either (the same as Swanky's Sideshow in DKC3). Cranky has a museum, but again it's not his home; he lives in his hut in DK Island.
The thing is that the NK is part of DK Isles; and DK Isles the capital is DK Island.
Jomingo wrote:This would also explain why Wrinkly has so many vacation caves set up there[...]

They're her home.
Jomingo wrote:Here's another question, where did the krems go after Crocodile Isle sank?

K. Rool went away in his ship and directly to the NK, commanded the Kremlings to build a castle so that he would create KAOS with his wife's best pots and pans; 8 months later he saw DK and Diddy near his castle and apenapped them to use their energy to power-up KAOS; and so the story continues...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Swing King » August 30th, 2008, 8:19 am

The Kong Isles, as I call them consist of the folowing; Kong Island, Mecha-Crocodile Isle, The Sun Sun Isles, Banana Fairy Island, Northern Kremisphere Region( I consider this a series of small islands) Tiger Island, The Isle O' Hags, ( it happens in the DK Kontinuity!) Willow Woods, And Pinata Island As Well as The Southern Kremisphere Region from DKL3. Crazy Fanwanks end here. :mrgreen:




EDIT: Failing that, we could just say DK's adventures are actually on a different Earth, like Mario's planet. Going by this logic, The Northern Kremisphere and the Southern Kremisphere fit in just fine. Also none of that dk island is a continit LOL XD XD. Thats a Fanwank I hate from the DKU.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 194
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » August 30th, 2008, 10:55 am

I doubt that any Kremling habitation would be owned by DK Island, as this would anger the Kremlings. Also, DK probably doensn't even want to try to control them, both parties just want nothing to do with eachother. So Crocodile Isle and Mecha-Crocodile Isle are probably not a part of the DK Isles. I think that Willow Woods takes place on Timber's Island, so I guess it's possibly a part of the DK Isles. Also, I thought that DKL3 takes place in the Northern Kremisphere? I'm pretty sure that Pinata Island is farther north, and I doubt that it or the Isle O' Hags are governed by the DK Isles.

About Isle O' Hags, this is how I think it is. Timber's Island is within swimming distance of DK Island, which is how Diddy gets there. Conker, Bumper, Pipsy, Drumstick, and of course Timber all live on the island, so there's no problem with them getting there. Banjo and Tiptup live on Isle O' Hags, which is probably also within swimming distance of Timber's Island, though I think it's on the other side opposite the one facing DK Island, and probably out of the DK Isles reach.

Also, I'm sure there are other islands owned by DK Island that we haven't seen yet.

Another question, where does KoS take place?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Swing King » August 30th, 2008, 11:46 am

KoS takes place on Kong Island, silly Jomingo. And DKL3 was actually in the Southern Northern Kremisphere,that was my bad. :oops: And I just called them " The Kong Isles" for lack of better word.( They don't really have a name ya know).
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 194
Joined: 2008

The 'Kremling Force' energy - what is it?

Postby Jomingo » September 1st, 2008, 8:32 am

Massive, mostly off-topic post (regarding the 'Kremling Force Power' - which now has its own topic):
Spoiler!
http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=691

Click that to read a great topic at the DKU arguing over the Kremling Source Power. I feel like I've read it before, but it could just be because a lot of the theories are similar to mine.




After reading some of it I've formulated some new theories based on some of the things I read:
-I'm now thoroughly convinced that the NK takes place on the other side of DKI. DKC2 indicates that the DKI Mountain faces South, and that CI is southeast of it. If DK Mountain faces south, that would put the NK at the Northern Hemisphere(half) of the Island. About the size difference, you can't take map screens as canon, DK64 proved that. I think it's very possible that DKI is much larger than depicted.
-The thought behind all the Kremlings being created by the KPS is because it's stated as the source of the Kremlings and that there were no Females. But now we have seen female Kremlings. I think that because there is only one adult female Kremling that my theory about "there only being females and children in the royale family and the rest are spawned by the KPS" makes sense. How do you explain how there are hundreds of identical looking Kritters and how the Kremlings in DKC3 look so different? Because the KPS generates them, and they can be generated differently for different environments. Also, I think that K. Rool has the power to tap into the KPS, and he probably manipulates it to create the different Kremlings. (and that's also how he uses "magic" abilities in some games, it's just the KPS flowing through him.
-Also, I think it's possible that other beings, like Gnawty, also spawn from the source power. Who says that the Kremling Power Source can't be manipulated to create all kinds of creatures? Hey, maybe the only reason it's called the Kremling Source Power is because it's controlled by the kremlings(K. Rool).
-Also, (this one is complete fanwank and has no evidence, but I think it's true anyway) I think that Klubba is also a member of the "royal family" (which really is more of a royal "species", and that he is against K. Rool because he wants to control the KPS to liberate the Kremling creatures spawned from it.

There is one problem with my theory; If all the Kremlings were spawned from the KPS except the royal family, where did the royal family come from?

There are several possible solutions:
-Maybe the K. Rool lineage were actually originally aliens (or created by aliens).
-Perhaps they were regular reptiles who stumbled into the dormant KPS by mistake, and were mutated into intelligent beings. They then realized that they could manipulate the KPS, so they created more of there intelligent reptile species(though these were artificial clones without reproductive abilities), and this ability to manipulate the KPS has been passed down to generations of the Rool family.
-There could be tons of other solutions that would work.

Either of these theories seem logical, I mean we have already seen Alien beings travel to DK's world(Xananab; Whizpig). I think the second one is the most likely, though there is a flaw in that one two:
Why didn't any other creatures become mutated by the KPS, why just one blood family of reptiles?

Well, I think that the KPS is much more complicated than we think. It's possible that the KPS chose the reptiles and mutated them intentionally, hey, maybe the KPS actually manipulates K. Rool into doing what it wants! I'm not saying K. Rool is under some kind of hypnotism, I'm just saying that since his royal family was created by the KPS(which likely happened very close to the beginning of land life, possibly before the dinosaurs) they have been it's loyal servants and do everything to please it. It's like a god to them, a deity of some sorts(they even carved a kremling head into the side of the KPS volcano to show there worship). I don't think they actually communicate with it, but I do think that it can manipulate their thoughts at times.
Or maybe it isn't a being. Maybe it is some kind of primordial substance that spawned the Rool family, and since they have kept it secluded from the rest of the world. Perhaps they revere it as a deity even if it has no actual thought process, like the native americans worshipped the sun.

I think the former one is more likely.


Here's another thing, I think that all Kremling life originated (and still originates) from the KPS(which likely created the island of Crocodile Isle around it), and that they have expanded there residence to several islands around it, including DK Island. As I said before, I think that the Kremlings have been around for a very very long time, before mammals evolved. Also, I don't think that ape life evolved on DK Island, I think it was introduced there by another being or species, or they came and made habitation there from the African mainland. Once the Kongs came to the island their already was Kremling temples and other such structures there from the Kremling inhabitants. The Kongs eventually defeated all Kremlings on the Island and claimed the it as there own. I think this happened relatively recently considering how old the Kremlings are(probably during Cranky's generation, or at the most two generations before that). The Kremling temples (without the care of the Kremlings) eventually became ruins, and the Kongs carved a Kong face into the side of the island, and named the island DK Island, after there King (I think the Donkey Kong name is passed down through generations of the main royal bloodline, so Cranky probably wasn't the first Donkey Kong).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Swing King » September 2nd, 2008, 6:34 am

I like to think of DK Island as an island, not a continent as it would seem to be with that theory. I think that the KPS just sort of helped to evolutionize them, and Krockodile Isle was probably shaped by the KPS like said in one of your statements Jo minga. I think we were alwaws seeing the Kremling Army, not the entire race. The KPS probably didn't create Gnawtys, but it probably caused some of them to grow big. I think Klubba was high-ranked among the Kremlings in DKC2 and DKL2, the Krash in DK64 I always thought to be Klubba after forcibly sent by K.Rool to kill him. The KPS would have originated during the dinosuas time and for all we know the Kremlings could be the missing link between dinosaurs and modern-reptiles!
And I've started the theory that the DKC series takes place on an Earth that we never evolved far enough. DK Arcade was when Mario and Pauline's Cruise Ship went through the Bemuda Triangle and ended up there. My theory states that The Northern Kremisphere is North America on that world.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 194
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Gnawzooka » September 2nd, 2008, 10:32 am

Jomingo wrote:http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=691-I'm now thoroughly convinced that the NK takes place on the other side of DKI.

Wait, so your saying that the NK is part of DK island?
Well, I think (definitely) not. While looking around in old topics I found a link to an old Rare site with the extended DKC3 story. It said that DK and Diddy went exploring on 'neighbouring islands' ie not the same one. Also, Dixie had to swim to get there. Why would she have to swim if it was just around the corner, on the same landmass?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » September 4th, 2008, 8:14 am

The Northern Kremisphere is surrounded by Mountains. It seems more logical to swim around them than to go over them.


And Swing King, Klubba is not a high ranked official in the Kremling Army. He is a traitor to the kremlings, and has no affiliation with K. Rool that we know of. He helped lead you to the Lost world so that you could stop K. Rool. He's even called a traitor in the manual I think.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Swing King » September 4th, 2008, 8:56 am

Maybe I should have worded that better, but I meant Klubba was high ranked in the Kremling Army and was trusted yo keep the Kongs away. But he sorta allied with them yadda yadda yadda and DK64 happebs. K.Rool forcibly sends Klubba to kill the Kongs.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 194
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » September 4th, 2008, 8:59 am

Jomingo wrote:And Swing King, Klubba[...]is a traitor to the kremlings, and has no affiliation with K. Rool that we know of. He helped lead you to the Lost world so that you could stop K. Rool. He's even called a traitor in the manual I think.

He is part of the Kremling Krew; the fact why he lets you access to the Lost World is because you pay him, not because he wants to help you. He's enlisted as part of the kremling krew in page 29 of the manual.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » September 4th, 2008, 10:11 am

Well, after looking I can't find anywhere that states he's a traitor, but I'm pretty sure it says so somewhere....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Gnawzooka » September 4th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Is it possibly some of that crap you heard at...uh, DKU was it?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » September 5th, 2008, 6:43 am

First of all, not every little bit of information that comes out of the DKU is convoluted fanwank. The DKU holds a lot of great information, and if you cared to read through a few of there older topics with titles similar to this one, you'd probably learn a lot of stuff you didn't know. The DKU is nearly 10 years old, so some of the members there are just obsessive enough to know more about one game in the series than you know about the entire series!


And secondly, know, I didn't hear that at the DKU. Klubba is a traitor to the kremlings, and I will find a source that proves it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » September 5th, 2008, 8:02 am

Probably here?
It's Eric Weiner's review, not official data. He thinks Klubba is a traitor. As I said, he doesn't help you at all; he lets you enter the LW because you give him money, otherwise he won't let you enter by any way, good or bad.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » September 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Okay, discussion of this so called 'Kremling Power Source' or 'source power' (or whatever you want to call it...) really belongs in a separate topic, in a separate subforum. The link between these two topics is so fleeting that I must insist we split this up.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Gnawzooka » September 5th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Jomingo wrote:First of all, not every little bit of information that comes out of the DKU is convoluted fanwank.

I didn't say it was, I haven't even been there, but from what I've heard here it seems they do tend to come up with alot of nonsense over there.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2008, 4:14 am

Okay, I've created a topic for discussing the 'Kremling Force Power', and another for discussing Klubba's Affiliation. Since these are all very separate (and worthwhile) storyline discussions, they deserve their own topics.


So, back to the Northern Kremisphere... Jomingo, are you saying that you actually think DKC3 takes place on the back side of DK Island? Please tell me that's not the case, and if it is... please explain what exactly lead you to this wildly implausible conclusion. :shock:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » September 6th, 2008, 6:40 am

First off, good decission splitting up the topics. I thought about doing it myself, but you beat me to it I guess.

Next, yes, I think that the NK is on the back of DK Island. Where else do you think they would put it? It just seems logical that an adventure would take place back there, and they never really explain where the hell the NK is supposed to take place. Why would Rare make an adventure in a completely unknown piece of land without ever explaining it? Because it isn't a completely unknown piece of land, it's the back of DK Island.

The way this really hit me was thinking about the name. I mean, when you look at the name it's obvious:
DKC2 proves that the DK Island Face faces south, and that means that Crocodile Isle lies southeast of it. Now, that would mean that the back of the DK Island Head is the North half. The word Hemisphere litterally means Half of a region, so that would mean that the other side of the island is the Northern Hemisphere! Obviously, Rare was clever enough to include a pun on there, so it's called the Northern Kremisphere, but the name pretty much says it all.

Also, in DKC3 the water is flowing down the screen, so the upper half of the screen continually gets higher in elevation, because it is on the back of the DK Island Mountain Head thing, which is a huge mountain. If we went by that logic, you are moving south the whole time in DKC3. Think about this, if you placed the DKC3 NK Map right on the back of the DK Island Head, Vine Valley would connect closely to the Left half of the screen(both areas are covered in Coniferous trees), and K3(the snow world of DKC3) would be close to Gorilla Glacier. Also, at the angle we always see the DK Island Head, we don't see much of the back-left side, so it's very possible that it turns from the stretch of Jungle to a more Coniferous Climate.

I mean, it just seems so obvious to me now, everything matches up!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » September 6th, 2008, 11:59 am

DKC3 Manual wrote:She made her way to the southern part of DK Island and swam to the nearest mainland.

This doesn't make sense with your theory.
Also... the NK has a really different fauna; DK Island is tropical feeling, but the NK feel like the climate of north Europe or Russia (that can also explain GBA's Frosty Frollics and the Northern Kremispheres name).
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Yeah, I'm with Kiddy. You say everything matches up, Jomingo, but it seems like you are really stretching to make these 'connections'.

To reiterate, the official story states that Dixie swam from DK Island to the 'nearest mainland' in search of DK and Diddy, who themselves had been exploring 'the islands'. That right there makes it very clear, at least to me, that the three Kongs were no longer on DK Island when the events of DKC3 commenced. How can you possibly think that swimming from an island to a mainland does not indicate this?

I'm at a loss, here.

Beyond this, the landscapes and inhabitants are just so different in DKC3... and K. Rool drifts far away from DK Island at the end of DKC2... it all points to the fact that the continent DKC3 takes place on is a very separate piece of land, completely unconnected to the Kongs' original island home.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Jomingo » September 7th, 2008, 6:25 am

Alright. There are some inconsistencies. But I can explain most of them(they might be a bit of a stretch in some places).

First of all, Qyz, you said that I'm "really stretching to make these 'connections'". I assume you are referring to how the landscapes match-up. Well, you seem to think that the NK is so big, why would I have to "stretch" it to make the landscapes fit? If you just look at the NK and assumed it was the back of DK Island, than Vine Vally does match up very well to the left half of the NK, especially if we moved it up a bit(as we don't see the shoreline at the bottom of the NK, so it's a little more in-land). Also, look at K3. It could very closely connect back to Gorrila Glacier, especially since we don't see how far and in what direction K3 expands to the top of the map.
I think that it matches up very well.

Kiddy, you say that the NK has a different fauna, as it's less tropical, but what about Vine Valley and Gorilla Glacier? Are they not European or Russian looking?
Spoiler!
Quick question, what is Frosty Frolics?

Also, you say that it is called NK because it is up north(which explains the "northern" environments). Well, we already know that Dixie swam there, so it can't be that far North.

Look at this picture:
Spoiler!
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/dk-island.jpg

That is the DK Island head. It looks like this exact angle in DKC2 in the background(which showed that Crocodile Isle was Southeast from DKI). That pretty much proved that the bottom of that picture is facing straight at south. That means, that the DK Island head itself is actually pointing southwest, as the southern-most part of the island is not directly facing the Head(in fact, we've never seen the head straight on, it's always seen at this angle). So if Dixie swam to the NK from the southern-most point, it would probably be near Monkey Mines or farther towards Vine Valley. Now, if you'll look at that picture, Vine Valley seems to be positioned on a very high ledge, almost cliff-like. Is it that hard to believe that if Dixie had gone to this point(the most southern part) that she was actually trying to avoid climbing that steep ledge, and thus swam around it to get to the NK?

Qyz, you say that DK and Diddy went exploring the islands. Well, there are Islands in the NK, whether it's connected to DKI or not. Mekanos, the one in Lake Orangutanga, there's a bunch of islands there. So DK and Diddy could've been exploring these islands and still be on the back of DKI.

Also, the landscapes and environments are not that different in DKC3, with the Coniferous forests(Vine Valley) and large snowy regions(Gorilla glacier). Really, what part of DKC3 is so "un-DKI like"?

K. Rool didn't necessarily float far away(I don't know where they've ever said he drifted far way from DKI), why is it hard to believe that he floated to the northern part of DKI. Actually, your logic is a little off there, as K. Rool didn't go anywhere after DKC2, because that would mean the DKL2 never happened). Also, you say that K. Rool apparently drifted far away and came upon the NK, but we've already established that the NK is within swimming distance or closer to DKI!

The only one that really pokes holes here is the part about her swimming to a mainland, and with that one I'm almost beat. Almost. See, we've already established that the Maps can't be taken as proper canon according to size relations, and Rare has contradicted themselves before. So it's really possible that anything that's ever been said could be wrong. I mean, what kind of source can overrule something written in the manual? Um...how about a statement from the guy who wrote the manual? Thus, I will write this question to Mr. Loveday at Scribes, and (for now) I guess we have to consider that statement as canon(though I still maintain it can be taken more than one way), and if I get a response in Scribes then we will see if that statement is right or not.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Kiddy14 » September 7th, 2008, 6:59 am

Jomingo wrote:Kiddy, you say that the NK has a different fauna, as it's less tropical, but what about Vine Valley and Gorilla Glacier? Are they not European or Russian looking?
Spoiler!
Quick question, what is Frosty Frolics?

Also, the landscapes and environments are not that different in DKC3, with the Coniferous forests(Vine Valley) and large snowy regions(Gorilla glacier). Really, what part of DKC3 is so "un-DKI like"?

Vine Valley looks like that because it's near a mountain. You can have a beach and a couple of kilometers away a large snow-y mountains. That said Vine Valley and Gorilla Glacier are like that because the elevation is almost near the clouds (as seen in DKC2 and DKC); but DKC3's environments are similar to those and are not in a great elevation, like Lake Orangatanga, is in sea level.
Frosty Frolics is the name of the snow music in DKC3.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » September 7th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Wait, Jomingo - did you change your entire view of the landscape of DK Island (as in, thinking the reverse side of it *is* the Northern Kremisphere) all because of some unfounded speculation by that 'Skater_dude' fellow who started the Kremling origins topic at the DKU? That topic never even gave a good reason for assuming that the two areas are connected, and there are so SO many reasons to assume otherwise...

I can see you trying to rationalise this ludicrous concept by 'matching up' the forest/snow areas between the two games, but that's the kind of thing that would only help your cause if you were already winning the debate - and that's certainly not the case here!

I agree with what you said about the small islands of the Northern Kremisphere; they could be where DK and Diddy were exploring (in fact, that's what I assume...) but if all of DKC3 really took place on the reverse of DK Island, there would most definitely have been some evidence of this in at least one of the games, or instruction manuals, or official guides, or... well you get the picture.

  • The Northern Kremisphere is indisputably referred to as a mainland, while DK Island is - you guessed it - an island.
  • DK Island does not appear to have any recognisable NK landmarks, and features no wildlife crossovers with DKC3.
  • DKC and DKC2 were set on separate landmasses, it's only logical that DKC3 was also. (the official story supports this suggestion, too)
  • K. Rool does drift far away from DK Island at DKC2's ultimate ending, you SEE IT HAPPEN. (DKL2 is a remake, anyhow)

Look, every official source, and pretty much all logical interpretations point against your theories. Sit down before you hurt yourself. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Gnawzooka » September 7th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Jomingo wrote:K. Rool didn't necessarily float far away(I don't know where they've ever said he drifted far way from DKI), why is it hard to believe that he floated to the northern part of DKI. Actually, your logic is a little off there, as K. Rool didn't go anywhere after DKC2, because that would mean the DKL2 never happened). Also, you say that K. Rool apparently drifted far away and came upon the NK, but we've already established that the NK is within swimming distance or closer to DKI!

Um, as Qyz said, you actually see K.Rool in a ship sailing in the exact opposite direction from DKI, into the distance. That does make it hard to imagine them swimming to wherever he went, but who knows how far they can swim? And about DKL2, well maybe it didn't happen. Maybe it's not canon. Maybe it's just DKC2 but with some changes, so you're not just playing the same game again, to make things interesting.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Where is the Northern Kremisphere?!?1

Postby Qyzbud » September 7th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Okay, I've spent several hours combing the 'net for fan discussions and general consensus on the matter. The one thing that seems to have lead to all of this confusion can be traced back to the opening scene of DKC3, which takes place before gameplay commences, just when starting a game file...

In this scene, Dixie jumps from a cliff near the bottom-left of the Northern Kremisphere overworld map, into the lagoon below. Some fans are interpreting this cliff Dixie jumps from as the 'southern part of DK Island' mentioned in DKC3's story. I can see how this could be considered a possibility, but it really doesn't make sense given all of the other points we've looked at so far.

Here's what I consider to be the most likely explanation of what happened:
Dixie set out from DK Island by sea, swam a considerable distance before reaching the mainland of the Northern Kremisphere, then scaled the hilly exterior of the NK until she came upon the cliff depicted in the opening scene, which overlooks lagoon area where DKC3 takes place. This is when the opening scene comes in - Dixie jumps from the cliff, into the lagoon below, and swims to shore, where she happens upon Wrinkly's home.

The cliff is not part of DK Island. When you realise this, there is no cause for confusion.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Next

Return to Storyline/Continuity

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron