Donkey Kong Country GameMaker Engine

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Donkey Kong Country GameMaker Engine

Postby gamester » November 13th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Centuries ago I worked on a Donkey Kong Country Engine for GameMaker and released a small demo for the Nintendo Community Fangame Convention (I don't remember which year :\). The project was abandoned due to life circumstances, but I am working on it again. I've put together a one-level demo showcasing what then engine is capable of. It's not perfect (yet!) but I hope you guys enjoy it! For an added challenge, speed-run the level (you have unlimited lives) and post your fastest time!

Download

Controls:
Arrow Keys - Move
X - Jump
C - Run / Attack
Z - (Squitter only) shoot a platform web, Z (again) - open platform web
R - Restart the level

Screenshots:
Spoiler!

Final note: I am taking suggestions for victory music to be played for each individual Kong when they complete a level
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Re: Donkey Kong Country GameMaker Engine

Postby Super Luigi! » November 14th, 2017, 8:06 am

The glorious project has finally returned! :dixiehappy: Thank you, Sir gamester, for bringing this back through hundreds of years! You certainly shall succeed greatly forever and be even more of a hero to children everywhere! :thumbs:

EDIT: Upon playing it, I've noticed your love for spiky tires. Additionally, the physics are close to the original games (although the barrel cannons must be from DKC3). While I do enjoy this greatly, I also noticed how DK's hand slap and Enguarde are missing. However, as you said, this isn't perfect, so you're probably planning on completing more work. In any case, well done! :banana:

EDIT 2: Upon immediately playing it again, I noticed this:
Spoiler!
Dixie Duo..PNG
A dream come true.
Dixie Duo..PNG (136.97 KiB) Viewed 21266 times

It seems that getting hit by the Mini-Neckys while climbing causing cloning. I'm certainly not complaining! :diddywink:

EDIT 3: Upon more testing, I ran into the spiky tires as Squawks and flew above the screen. Once I made it to the No Squawks sign, however, gameplay resumed as normal. :angrysquawks:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby gamester » November 14th, 2017, 10:07 am

Super Luigi! wrote:EDIT 2: Upon immediately playing it again, I noticed this:
Spoiler!
Dixie Duo..PNG

It seems that getting hit by the Mini-Neckys while climbing causing cloning. I'm certainly not complaining! :diddywink:

EDIT 3: Upon more testing, I ran into the spiky tires as Squawks and flew above the screen. Once I made it to the No Squawks sign, however, gameplay resumed as normal. :angrysquawks:

Some of the animal buddies are missing from this demo but they are all programmed and playable ;). I have not yet programmed DK's ground slap however.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the glitches, I'll look into them
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby Phyreburnz » November 17th, 2017, 10:15 am

This looks pretty awesome! Would there be any way to make the controls configurable? I'm having a hell of a time with the configuration. I have a standard set up when I play emulators on my computer and it's like muscle memory! I feel like Cranky :rant:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » November 17th, 2017, 10:23 am

Looking great!! ;)

Controls very well considering you had to use keyboard based input.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks