Explain your name!

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Explain your name!

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Here is a topic for discussing names.

You can reveal the secret origins of your forum name, give away the truth of your real name, share any nicknames you've had... that sort of thing.

It's also nice to give a 'preferred name' for others to call you on the forum.

I'll start it off!

My real name is Karri. Most of the time people think that's a girl's name... but it certainly isn't. Well, not in my case. ;)

Qyzbud is a name that came about when I was playing Killer Instinct on SNES with a buddy of mine. I got a high score (or a big combo or something), and tried to enter KAZ with my eyes closed (Kaz being a nickname of mine). The result was QYZ. How I got the last of the three letters right is beyond me... My buddy's usual KI name was BUD, so when he entered his name for a high score, the screen said QYZ ... BUD and he suggested I make that my nickname/screen name.

Many years later, I decided I would do just that. I figured that if I still remembered the name, it must be for a reason. :)

So, my name here is Qyzbud... but please, call me Qyz. :swanky:

Okay, feel free to share your own!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Names, names...

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 12:23 pm

I think mines kinda obvious.

My names Nicholas but I obviously prefer Nick :D
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Kowbrainz » March 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Hah, I was going to make a thread of some sort on "How do you pronounce 'Qyzbud', or at least about the origins of the name. :P

Hehe... Kowbrainz. I've had this horrible username for over four years, despite its corny-ness. 'Cowbrains' was the initial name I used to sign up at my first message board, but Kowbrainz came about after several email accounts decided to explode on me. They wouldn't let me have cowbrains, so I tried Kowbrains, which changed to Kowbrains2 after the first account blew up. It changed to Kowbrainz, both because the next email account screwed up and because I was sick of people asking "So... who's Kowbrains the first?"

I think I chose cowbrains after being sent a rather disgusting powerpoint presentation about the contents of the Big Mac, and "Mrs Big Mac"... yeck.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Qyzbud is a name that came about when I was playing Killer Instinct on SNES with a buddy of mine. I got a high score (or a big combo or something), and tried to enter KAZ with my eyes closed (Kaz being a nickname of mine). The result was QYZ. How I got the last of the three letters right is beyond me... My buddy's usual KI name was BUD, so when he entered his name for a high score, the screen said QYZ ... BUD and he suggested I make that my nickname/screen name.

Many years later, I decided I would do just that. I figured that if I still remembered the name, it must be for a reason. :)

Wow. Mine's just a corny pun I came up with in ten seconds. But I've used it way too much and done way too much with it to change it now, I'm too used to it.

Qyzbud wrote:My real name is Karri. Most of the time people think that's a girl's name... but it certainly isn't. Well, not in my case. ;)

Because it sounds like "Carrey", which is a girl's
name. I've never heard of a boy or girl with the name "Karri".

Hah, I was going to make a thread of some sort on "How do you pronounce 'Qyzbud', or at least about the origins of the name.

I always pronunced it "Kiz-bud". That sounds better than "Kaz-bud"
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 1:22 pm

I should have put that in my first post!

I've always pronounced it "Quiz-bud", despite the lack of a 'u'. So now you know. :)

My name Karri is pronounced exactly like the verb; carry.
There are many girls I know of with a similar name; Carrie. Often shortened from Caroline.

Oh and Kong-Fu... You know, there's a character in the DKC TV show with your name. He's afraid of the dark. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I should have put that in my first post!

I've always pronounced it "Quiz-bud", despite the lack of a 'u'. So now you know. :)

That's what I thought!

Kobe'!
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Kowbrainz » March 8th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Ah, glad I've been pronouncing it right, then. :P

Nothing I hate more than pronouncing something wrong for an extended period of time, then hearing how it's actually pronounced and thinking how weird it sounds. The old pokemon names, for example... used to pronounce them one way until that particular kritter appeared on the TV show, to which I'd typically shout, "WTF? How on earth do they pronounce it like that? Sounds bloody stupid..." :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Oh and Kong-Fu... You know, there's a character in the DKC TV show with your name. He's afraid of the dark.

Yes, I know. :lol: I didn't find that out until after I signed up to the DKU.

I'm not scared of the dark, though...

...:? :idea:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » March 8th, 2008, 1:30 pm

The origin of my forum alias is quite simple: Back when I first got internet, I had no anti-virus. My computer was overrun with viruses, and I made attempts at removing them myself. That was when I started seeing a lot of the System32 folder in the the Windows directory. When my computer was finally cleaned and I started going to various forums, I thought that would be great for a user name. But instead of System32, I used Simion32, because System32 would have sounded a bit strange. That has been my user name ever since.

As for my proffered name here on the forums, "Simion" will do.

My real name is actually Taz. Most people I meet think it's a nickname, but it is indeed (used as) my first name. I seem to have two first names... my true first name isn't mentioned a lot.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Simion32 wrote:My real name is actually Taz.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/53b0C ... 3Ig=_l.jpg

Ehhh, what's up doc?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » March 8th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/53b0CJY2NBrBhJw4ja35OJHyhAEjEjwqn4BTv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

:lol:

Yes, I was named after the cartoon character. Quite bizarre, isn't it?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Simion, that's really cool! I'm impressed by the origin and its clever relevence to the DK theme. ;)
Of course, I always had a hunch it was a play on the name 'Simon', but now I know that's not the case.
Taz is a cool name, by the way. You wouldn't need a nickname if you used that. :D

You were truly named after the Taz, the Tassie Devil?

Kowz, I agree about pronunciation being surprising and odd when you find out...

Nick, what does Kobe' mean?!?! :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » March 8th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Qyzbud wrote:You were truly named after the Taz, the Tassie Devil?

Honest truth.

However, I've still kept a secret about my alias, which you'll have to find out on your own. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 1:50 pm

Bleh, bleh, bleh, that's all folks. :P
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » March 8th, 2008, 1:51 pm

It's a nice name, as I can use it for records in games that only allow 3 initials.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 1:52 pm

I always pronounced Qyzbud as CuesBud.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Jomingo wrote:My dad told me today that he originally intended my name to be Oscar Newton Onan, thus making my initials ONO, named after Yoko Ono. I think he was joking though.

It's a good thing he didn't name you Eli Myer Ono.

That would've given your initials an interestingly humiliating turn. ;) :P
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 1:58 pm

And yet somewhat accurate. Kidding, but I have seen people with the initials STD, and HIV. Very sad indeed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Jomingo wrote:And yet somewhat accurate. Kidding, but I have seen people with the initials STD, and HIV. Very sad indeed.

Very sad. Atleast it's better than AID... or LSD. :lol:

My initials are one letter away from spelling my first name. That've been cool. 8-)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Simion32 wrote:..I've still kept a secret about my alias, which you'll have to find out on your own. ;)

I'm more intrigued than I'd care to admit.

Kong-Fu wrote:It's a good thing he didn't name you Eli Myer Ono.

Why would his dad have given his son a different surname?

Jomingo: Cool set of names! What's your preferred "quickname"? ( max of 6 characters, 2 syllables ) ← my own ridiculous guidelines, of course.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Yeah, my last name is not Ono.

My preferred nickname is probably Jomingo online, and Nano at school. You guys can also call me Joe Mango, Joe Minga, or I guess just Joe. Or Jeff.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 2:07 pm

You say Kobe'! when something works out in your favor. lol

We(me and my friends) do anyways
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 8th, 2008, 3:21 pm

My real name is Clinton. NOT LIKE THE PRESIDENT. I hate when people say that, thinking they're so clever. Ahem. :?

Anyway, as to what CFH stands for... if I disclose that information on a public message board, I could be putting my life and many other lives in serious danger. Even through a PM or an AIM message... they have ways of finding out.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 8:30 am

My name, while it may not seem like it at first, has an interesting backstory to it.

My doctor says I have an obsessive-compulsive disorder that makes me unusually interested in obscure characters from works of fiction. The Banjo-Kazooie series has a goldmine of stupid little characters like that, so it was by the time that I hatched Tiptup's egg in Jolly Roger's Lagoon that I realised what I had come across.

First of all, I had already known Tiptup from Diddy Kong Racing. He was my favorite character because my then-young brain perceived him as a Kremling (strangely enough, I did not care for Krunch.) I did not know he was in Banjo-Tooie until I reached him and hatched his egg. I thought it was really cool that Tiptup had a son who would never be remembered by anyone by me, so I kind of... well, obsessed over him. I donned the name "Tiptup Jr." as my alias, and now use it on all internet forums/chatrooms/etc.

So that's the story behind my internet name. My real first name is Timothy, but I prefer Timmy because it keeps me young and timeless. Oh, and my initials are TRE.

Qyzbud: I always pronounced your name "Quiz-bud". But I pronounced Karri as "Kah-ri".

...You know, Jack-Jack's babysitter from The Incredibles? Ah, forget it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby cfh » March 9th, 2008, 8:47 am

Wow, you actually remembered that? I think the doctor was right...
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 8:51 am

Yeah, and I'll bet I'm the only person on the planet who knows Kari's last name.

Go on, try me!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » March 9th, 2008, 8:57 am

cfh wrote:Wow, you actually remembered that? I think the doctor was right...

I don't obsess over obscure characters (Except Dumb Drum, which I'm not even obsessed over, it just looks that way because he's the focus of my avatars/signitures/3D models.)

And that was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard Qyz's real name.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 8:58 am

McKeon. Kari's last name is McKeon.

Phew... I had to let that out of my system somehow!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Cody » March 15th, 2008, 9:07 am

My name's Cody (which, as you can tell, also has to do with my screen name). How original! :D

Nicknames:
1. Some people (about four or five in total ) call me Bird, since I can chirp like a bird and it sounds very realistic. I used to do it in class a lot and the teachers would always get mad, wondering who did the noises.
2. Last year, some people (about 30 in total, haha) nicknamed me Blizzard (in Culinary class, my group had to present a "musical report" in front of the class and I had to present it in a rap style). One of the people at my table named me Blizzard.

Fun Fact: Blizzard is the primary reason why I'm representing Bleak in the target of my avatar.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » March 15th, 2008, 9:12 am

Why'd they assign you a rap music project in culinary class? Who were you supposed to be? Soulja Chef? :roll:

hehe
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cody » March 15th, 2008, 9:24 am

Oh, it had to be food-related. Off memory, here's everything that I remember:

"When you wake up in the mornin' and you're feelin' in the mood
Head down to McDonald's for some healthy fast food
Instead of fries for a side, try a salad with tomatoes
With low-fat dressing on a baked potato
Drink water, diet soda, unsweetened iced tea
Avoid shakes and sodas with 1,000 calories"

It's only about 10% of my rap - needless to say, the class thought it was hilarious and I got an A+.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Tompa » March 15th, 2008, 11:11 am

My name's Tomas (Not the, in my opinion, stupid spelling with an H in it, that sucks.).

A friend of mine started to call me Tompa like 10 years ago. That named died away pretty fast and was forgotten. But when I went on the internets, around 2002, I had to have a nickname I could use. So I remembered what I was called and though: Why not.

Sometimes when I'm signing up on forums and such, Tompa is already taken. I then started to add "la's" in the end of the name. For example, at some IRC-servers is Tompa already taken. So I'm calling myself Tompala instead. My Aim and Skype name is Tompalala, as both Tompa and Tompala was taken. I'm quite original sometimes...

I'm also using Tomtelala at a few places, like YouTube. "Tomte" means Santa in Swedish and then I add my lovely la's in the end. Something my brother and one of his friends started to call me around 1998 or something like that.

And well... whatever :D .
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby nickp17 » March 15th, 2008, 11:18 am

In 8th grade a few fellow basketball players called me bones because I was so skinny :(
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 15th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Wow, that explains your avatar, too!

Tompa, that's just like me. Except for the lala parts. (mine is a super-old, nickname that never caught on). :D
I never have to add lala's because Qyzbud always seems to be available- I've no idea why!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 15th, 2008, 2:19 pm

That and I just have a thing for bad boys ;)

Spoiler!
excuse my homosexual jokes lol. no offense to homosexuals I'm just a very non-homophobic guy.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Diddy_Gal » March 31st, 2008, 6:32 am

Well... my name is is very simple to know since I use it for deviantART. I got it from my favorite Donkey Kong series character, Diddy Kong. I was a fan of him and got a crush on in Donkey Kong 64. (Uh oh... looks like I have spilled the beans!:oops:) and I'm a female. but you can call me DGal, Diddy's Fangirl, or Sapphire Kong. And my real name is Shelby by the way...
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Kazooienut » April 4th, 2008, 12:15 am

Well the origin of my name has been a weird one it first started as Creampuffmaster but after I forgot my email password it came to be homestarking, then in the summer of 07 I found Spiralmountain and joined the name being Kazooienut since My favorite animal is a Squirrel and my favorite Banjo character was Kazooie, and also I'm absolutely nutty.
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » April 4th, 2008, 1:02 am

Absolutely nutty, eh? You'll fit in well with this crowd.

I always thought I should use something from B-K as my screen name; partially because my initials are K.B., partially because my most commonly used nick name amongst friends and family is 'Kaz' (and I like Kazooie, too). Creampuffmaster and homestarking are a little odd, though. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kazooienut » April 4th, 2008, 8:46 am

Qyzbud wrote:Absolutely nutty, eh? You'll fit in well with this crowd.

Yeah I'm an official snack food guru even ask my friends! :lol: homestarking's just my email I think I'll like it here.
Edit:Sorry about that post I fixed it up .
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » April 4th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Just to let you know (this needs to be added to the official rules, which I will do now), quoting the whole post above you is a no no.

...and so is capitalising random nouns mid-sentence. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » April 4th, 2008, 9:50 pm

I had that in my original draft, but we took it out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 5th, 2008, 10:17 am

I once considered using "MayorMcCheese1994" as my alias. He is vastly superior to any McDonaldland character, period.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » April 5th, 2008, 10:45 am

Mayor... McCheese? :| I'd rather you be the Hamburgler. :roll:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 6th, 2008, 9:31 am

Why, so you could be Mayor McCheese? Forget it man. Forget it. ;)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » April 6th, 2008, 9:42 am

Crap no. I don't wanna be named after a stupid piece a' cheese. :roll: I was saying youd've sounded less stupid as the Hamburgler.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 6th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Face it, Kong-Fu... He knows your angle- he's seen you dressed up as the Mayor. We all have.

BUS-TED! 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 8th, 2008, 8:35 am

Ah, this is too hilarious. I wonder who would win in a fight between the Mayor and Hamburglar...

I don't wanna be named after a stupid piece a' cheese.

And that, sir, was highly offensive. :cry:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » April 8th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:I wonder who would win in a fight between the Mayor and Hamburglar...

When is Super SmashDonalds Brawl being released, by the way? :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nackhe » April 8th, 2008, 10:14 pm

My name is the result of smashing my head on the keyboard.
Been using it for several years now. :lol:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » April 8th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
Tiptup Jr. wrote:I wonder who would win in a fight between the Mayor and Hamburglar...

When is Super SmashDonalds Brawl being released, by the way? :lol:

I :lol:'d
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Next

Return to Anything Goes