User Groups

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

User Groups

Postby Qyzbud » August 18th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Do you have any advanced skills or knowledge that could benefit the development of DKC Atlas?
(eg. knowledge of PHP, JavaScript, SQL Databases, ROM Hacking, Programming, Level Layouts, DKC Universe, Writing, Graphic Design, etc...)

I'm planning to create new 'member groups' which will indicate specific skills and knowledge. For instance, someone with advanced hacking knowledge/abilities could join a Hackers group, while someone with exceptional knowledge of DKC storyline/characters could join another group to reflect that. Anyone with more than one of these advanced skillsets would be welcome to join all applicable groups.

For members of these groups, 'badges' (icons) could be displayed in a user's post profile to indicate these areas of expertise. People with these skills will be able to be particularly helpful with the development of DKC Atlas, and the side projects, and having a member as part of these groups will help us work out who can assist with the various missions above - if they are willing/able to, of course!

This concept is still in planning stages, but if you are interested in becoming a member of these special groups, or want to discuss these groups in general please post a message here or send me a PM.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: User Profile (and Post Profile) Discussion

Postby Jomingo » August 19th, 2008, 1:57 am

I like the sound of these groups. I was reading somewhere on here when describing groups that they were "Ways to seperate members so the Administrator can better Administrate large groups at a time", or something like that. So I figured it would be possible to implement more groups to better divide up the members, which is what you say you are going to do.

So, yeah. Sounds cool. I don't know what groups you plan to have, but I would definately consider myself pretty much an expert on continuity and storyline, so I hope there's a group for that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: User Profile (and Post Profile) Discussion

Postby Qyzbud » August 19th, 2008, 3:05 am

Indeed; your storyline and continuity acuity will certainly be of value in a relevant group. I don't think I'll be assigning any extra 'powers' to members of these skill groups (not that you would need any more power, you dangerously corrupt Jomingo of modly proportions), but just being a member of the storyline experts group (for example) would give you extra credibility in a discussion of such issues. Hopefully the groups will be fun and useful to have, and will encourage extra involvement amongst all Atlasites.

This discussion had very little to do with user profiles... so I started a new topic.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: User Groups

Postby Kiddy14 » August 20th, 2008, 2:15 pm

I suppose that along with everything else, you want these User Groups to sound as much as DKC-ish as they can right? =P

People with advance knowloadge of rom hacking and programming can be called either:
1.- Castle Crushers
2.- DKC Explorer
3.- Jungle Explorer

1 Explanation: Castle Crush is well known for corrupting the game's in-memory data.
2&3 Explanation: Rom hacking involves exploring through the Roms.

That's the only idea I have xD

Oh, and I'd like to help in writing the At a Glance sections ;) I still don't know what name to give the writers group though =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:Oh, and I'd like to help in writing the At a Glance sections ;) I still don't know what name to give the writers group though =P

Yeah, I think I will also fit well in a writing group that writes Summaries, Mysteries, Challenges, Factfiles, Tips & Tricks, Glitches, etc. maybe the name could be "Bonus Level Openers", because Summaries, Mysteries, Challenges, etc. are sort of "bonuses", and the writers are making them, and showing them is sort of "opening" them, a little wierd though, :lol: . We could do "Banana Growers", because bananas are extras, like Summaries, Mysteries, etc. and when you show them it's like "growing" them. Between these two, I would go with "Banana Growers", but I bet someone can think of something better.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Actually, I want things to be a little more straight forward, but still a bit on the 'fun' side.

I was thinking anyone who's a hacker, programmer, etc. could be a Binary Adventurer, Code Explorer, or ROM Spelunker (thank to Mattrizzle for that idea) ;) How do they sound? Maybe you fellows who want to write level summaries (at a glance sections are different, and should not be confused with written summaries) could be in a Jungle Reporters group, or even Summary Scribes, which would be more specific.

So you can probably tell that I want the groups' roles to be pretty much self explanatory, but with a DKC Atlas 'twist'.

Feel free to suggest more group types and names. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » August 21st, 2008, 7:20 am

How 'bout Code Monkey?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 24th, 2008, 11:47 am

For people who submit Mysteries: Jungle Detectives
For people who submit Challenges: Maze Makers
For people who submit Glitches, and/or Tips & Tricks: "Bug" finders
For people who submit Factiles: Global Studiers (if that's a word)
For people who submit a mixture of these: Global Detective Maze Finders ( :lol: )
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » August 24th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Binary Adventurer? You mean Hexadecimal Adventurer, right? :P
(I'd hate to have to use codes for games in binary, lol)

I'll be honest and say I'm not too flash on this. If someone makes some contributions, let them have credit on the appropriate page. Making groups of these members isn't really necessary unless you're creating a forum only accessible by them (which isn't exactly ideal since normal members may know something others in a group don't but won't know whether to submit it if the topic isnt accessible to them).

I think if somebody is particularly knowledgable in hacking, gameplay mechanics etc and is able to contribute regularly, forum members will know this anyway without having to see whether or not somebody has a badge next to their username.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 25th, 2008, 6:02 am

1.What about newcomers? I'm pretty sure new people need a way to know what members are good at at.
2. Everyone can't remember what EVERY single person is, it could take weeks to memorize that, and more people are adding on to the groups, we could have hundreds in every group, if that happens, no one will remember all of them.
3. I bet Qyzbud will make forums for certain people in the future.
4. Qyzbud also said earlier that he wants to group people up to make things easier.

All in all, user groups can be useful.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » August 25th, 2008, 8:26 am

Well, I agree that User Groups will be useful, but I'd rather they split people up by there skills, not like a seperate group for people who submit Challenges, people who submit Mysteries, etc.

Instead of that the groups should be divided by: Hacking Skills, Storyline experts, Artists, good writers, etc, just to name a few.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » August 25th, 2008, 8:34 am

I agree with Kowbrainz. I don't think we need to be going around, slapping labels on anybody. And, if someone has no particular talent, then what?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » August 25th, 2008, 8:40 am

This isn't meant to label people. It's meant to make it easily to see who has what particular skillset for help with the various projects going on. Everybody has something to contribute.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » August 25th, 2008, 8:44 am

But someone could easily get the wrong idea. Like Kowbrainz said, anyone who contributed often would easily be recognized. But with these badges, you won't need to contribe to be recognized as hacker, artist, etc.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » August 25th, 2008, 10:34 am

Qyzbud (and later gamer_boy recalled) said this is for him to group certain people and make things easier. I'm pretty sure these'll just be "signs", not any kind of privilege or something.

Also, I think some "requirements" must be filled before Qyz can add you to an User Group. Somebody who has only helped with the site once will most likely not be added to an User Group; but somebody who has helped giving 30 challenges, or helping with the ASM Adresses part of the site will fill in =)

The thing with this is that, by the next year, there'll probably be 800 or 900 members in the site (and the DKC2 part of it would just been born). Do you think all 800 members will be as active as us now? Even now there are some members who haven't posted a single thing.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 25th, 2008, 10:42 am

Kiddy14 wrote:Also, I think some "requirements" must be filled before Qyz can add you to an User Group. Somebody who has only helped with the site once will most likely not be added to an User Group; but somebody who has helped giving 30 challenges, or helping with the ASM Adresses part of the site will fill in =)

Exactly, in the FAQ, it states that some usergroups need to be requested and given permission first, Qyzbud can do so with these usergroups, and along with the request, you would have to show your skills somehow, that way nobody will get the wrong idea.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 25th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Subject: DKC Screenshot Competition: Round 1 has concluded
A while back, Qyzbud wrote: Maybe I can start to allow the use of signatures for top contributors...

In reply, Kowbrainz wrote:Ah! That's an idea. Awarding sigs or special ranks etc to people who continue to service the site sounds cool.
There needs to be some sort of small award for people as an incentive for helping on the occasion.

Now just earlier, Kowbrainz wrote:I'll be honest and say I'm not too flash on this. If someone makes some contributions, let them have credit on the appropriate page.

Changed your tune, Kowz? This whole concept was actually your idea! :P

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts, Kowz, and to all who replied. I can see that this system might encourage 'elitism' (people thinking themselves to be 'better' than others), but that's entirely not the idea. I just want it to be a mutually beneficial system to encourage and reward contributions - it's good for me, so that I can send out, say, a PM to all 'hackers', asking for quick advice on something or other... and good for them, as the badge/status indicates that they are a valued contributor with exceptional knowledge. It's a basically just a form of recognition of their abilities and generosity; members of these 'skill groups' will not necessarily have any additional powers or board access.

Everyone will have the chance to contribute, as many different skills are required to build this site and forum. I don't think there would be anyone who is incapable of earning a badge, so anyone who wants one can lend a hand, and be recognised.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » August 25th, 2008, 1:23 pm

What about things that aren't used to contribute to the non-forum part of the site, like DKC remixing and sprite comics?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby DKCplayer » August 25th, 2008, 4:20 pm

I knew the sprite comics would be popular. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Qyzbud » August 25th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:What about things that aren't used to contribute to the non-forum part of the site, like DKC remixing and sprite comics?

They deserve recognition to a degree... Perhaps a signature/post profile link? I'll think about this.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 2nd, 2008, 11:02 am

Kay, I'd like to weigh in on this matter and say that the User Groups are a very good idea for a site like this.

But the only skill I possess that Qyz listed in his first post is 'Knowledge of the DKC universe', which will probably not get any recognition whatsoever beyond the occasional "Wow, I didn't know that! Blah blah blah..." So let me know how the group is gonna work, and I guess a badge would be cool. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » September 3rd, 2008, 9:30 am

You'd be surprised how well that information could come in handy in the near future. You never know.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 3rd, 2008, 11:49 am

...Yay! When the DKC Knowledge group is established, I would like to apply for membership.

And it's a little off-topic, but the sprite comic I'm working on right now sucks. :(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » September 3rd, 2008, 5:42 pm

Alot of people think that about their own work, only to find other people telling them it's really great. ;)
Can there be a usergroup for people who somehwhat lack knowledge, such as myself? :D
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » September 4th, 2008, 7:32 am

Well, the user groups are to show case your talents. I don't really see what good can come from clumping all the people who "lack knowledge" into one group.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » September 4th, 2008, 6:26 pm

I would have thought it obvious I was joking. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 4th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:...Yay! When the DKC Knowledge group is established, I would like to apply for membership.

Me too, but it's been a month, and Qyzbud has hardly done anything, he must be very busy with something... this leads to two possibilities, could he be working with real life, or is there a big suprise?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » October 4th, 2008, 3:19 pm

gamer_boy997 wrote:[...]could he be working with real life[...]

Most likely:
Qyzbud wrote:[...]over the last week I have been prioritising 'real life' in such a way that I've had little time to spend on DKC Atlas, or the forum here.

I myself have no problem with this being held-off; everybody has lifes of their own =) And also... everytime I have a new idea for a level info page or something I write it in a notebook I have; so technically the only thing I need is to type them in Word or stuff xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion