My opinion of DKC saga

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

My opinion of DKC saga

Postby Goe » June 4th, 2008, 7:12 am

Hi mates:

i am a spanish fan of DKC...i posted my opinion of the saga in another forum and people was disrespectful with me. I am going to put my opinion of that saga, i know some of you will disagree with me, but please respect me and my opinions:

DKC:

Donkey and Diddy were really charismatic characters, the graphics were fantastic(that game was released in 1994 and it was the first game with 3D graphics). Fantastic sound effects, and is really spectacular killing enemies, specially with Rambi. All animal buddies are cool except to expresso.
The design of enemies was really cool, specially K Rool. That game was great.

DKC2: a great game too, but i prefer the first. Donkey should be a playable character. The saga is called DONKEY Kong Country so i think DK should be a playable character. Dixie isn't as charismatic as Donkey. Killing enemies isn't as spectacular than in DKC(in DKC, when you kill a kritter, the blow is sonorous, in DKC2 not) Rambi isn't as spectacular(in DKC, you kill an enemy with Rambi and you throw it 3 metres away, and the blow is sonorous too, in DKC2 not) Thanks God we can't play with expresso, but Rattly the snake has much worse design as Winky(and bot realize the fame function). But DKC2 is a good game anyway...i love the new levels in pirate boats, castles, and haunted woods stages. The design of the bad guys is really cool, i love the design of Kruncha, Krook, Klinger, Kutlass, but my favourite is K Rool like a pirate. And i love when Donkey hit K Rool, because Donkey was the hero again, he was who defeated king rool, even not being a playable character.

DKC3: Terrible game. Dixie isn't a charismatic chacater but Kiddy is dumbass and hateful. The design of the enemies is terrible(Koble, for example). Animal buddies are dumb. We can't play with Rambi, who was cool, and instead him, we have Ellie. Enguarde and Squitter are the only cool allies in this game. The ending is terrible: we can see DK and Diddy, heroes of the first game, rescued with a silly appareance. The music of the ending is silly too...and Donkey Kong and Diddy should appear in Dixie Kong's Photo album. The only good stages re aquatic stages with enguarde.

Well...what do you think?
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Re: My opinion of DKC saga

Postby Jomingo » June 4th, 2008, 7:58 am

Goe wrote:
i am a spanish fan of DKC...i posted my opinion of the saga in another forum and people was disrespectful with me.

Welcome New Member! Be sure to read the rules (http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=177) before posting again.
By the way, was this by any chance, the Donkey Kong Universe Forum? I believe I remember this same sort of post over there from a new member.
Goe wrote: All animal buddies are cool except to expresso.

Goe wrote:Thanks God we can't play with expresso...

For shame. :cry:
Goe wrote:...but Rattly the snake has much worse design as Winky(and bot realize the fame function).

I have never agreed with a new member more.
Goe wrote:Kiddy is dumbass and hateful.

And so another tear gently rolls down the cheek of the most under appreciated character in the series.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » June 4th, 2008, 8:24 am

Fantastic sound effects, and is really spectacular killing enemies, specially with Rambi. All animal buddies are cool except to expresso.

I hate Expresso too. =P I think the sound effects part is equally in both DKC/DKC2.

DKC2: a great game too, but i prefer the first. Donkey should be a playable character. The saga is called DONKEY Kong Country so i think DK should be a playable character. Dixie isn't as charismatic as Donkey. Killing enemies isn't as spectacular than in DKC(in DKC, when you kill a kritter, the blow is sonorous, in DKC2 not) Rambi isn't as spectacular(in DKC, you kill an enemy with Rambi and you throw it 3 metres away. But Rattly the snake has much worse design as Winky(and bot realize the fame function).

The DK in every game may be repetitive. I like Dixie, specially since she has the helicopter spin, but yet she isn't as powerful as Diddy. I must say her helicopter spin may be one of the reasons why Expresso isn't in the next 2 games. The DKC2/DKC3 killing sound effect is more sonorous than DKC's, but it sounds like burping so yeh. I really like Rattly, in DKC I didn't like Winky because he kept on jumping while walking and that was tedious, I didn't know where I was going to step over an enemie and when I was gonna get hurt. That's what I like about Rattly. And DKC2 gave the start of something cool, Team-Throw =)

DKC3: Terrible game.

You told me everything you think about it with this. But in contrast, DKC3 is my favorite of all, I mean. It has= DKC's pacific stages, the irregualr duo of big monkey/small monkey, Enguarde, free saving, slow and soft music, riding steel kegs. And DKC2's= Team Throw with the addition of throwing Kiddy and Kiddy rolling, purposy bonus stages, lost world, Klobbers=Knockas.

And its own: Koinz and Koindozerz, Klasps, Konveyor Ropes, Lightning, Low Gravity, rocket barrels, followable barrels, reversed controls on a whole level!, Metal doors, triggers, interactive map, RPG elements, rollable from the back Krimp( which can lead to death if you want to roll him and time incorrectly), a more realistic 3D style (like in: Fire-Ball Frenzy, Rocket Barrel Ride, Tracker Barrel Trek, Barrel Drop Bounce, Krack-Shot Krock, Bleak's House, and Swanky's SideShow), 3 endings!, and of course, Kiddy Kong :D

I know, baddies are weird, but that's what makes a game unique. Still, it's your opinion, I'm sure we don't want to be disrespectful with you; besides, I'm some of the few people that likes DKC3>DKC2>DKC.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » June 4th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Hi Goe, welcome to DKC Atlas. :)

We are (generally) all respectful of everyone's opinions here, and as non-native English speaker, you don't have to be perfect with grammar, but do try your best. Capital letters for 'I', starting sentences, proper names, etc. are appreciated (and for the most part, you kept to this). Thanks.

Now, time for me to give some thoughts! (I like to pretend my opinions are important sometimes...) ;)

EXPRESSO IS AWESOME
I'm not sure why anyone would dislike Expresso... He's quick and nimble when he needs to be; he can float through the air (and dodge Gnaw-tys!) Sorry for the lame DK Rap reference there, but it's true. The only thing that lets Expresso down is that he can't attack baddies, but why would you need to if he can out run/jump/flutter anything on the island? He's my favourite buddy in the game. Expresso rocks.

DK UNPLAYABLE IN SEQUELS
I had no problem with this; probably because I rarely used DK in DKC, as Diddy's quick jumping skills suit my play style more. The variety of gameplay concepts introduced with each character was great. Dixie will always be remembered for her awesome helicopter hair, Diddy for his nimble and acrobatic movements, and I guess the main thing I loved about DK was his hand slap. Whenever I play DKC3, I keep wishing Kiddy could pull off that move. Of course, Kiddy's water skip is pretty cool... That little ape brought a new (and quite tricky) skill to the trilogy. Basically, I thoroughly appreciated the variety offered by the introduction of a new Kong for each game. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

RATTLY VS. WINKY
I think Rattly's all-around more playable, but only because he's able to jump in mid-hop. If Winky could do that, he would be my favourite for sure. Winky is much faster than Rattly, and has a larger attack zone for dealing with baddies in front of and even slightly above him. It's only his propensity to fall off edges that make him a liability.
Kiddy14 wrote:I really like Rattly, in DKC I didn't like Winky because he kept on jumping while walking and that was tedious, I didn't know where I was going to step over an enemie and when I was gonna get hurt. That's what I like about Rattly.
I'm pretty sure both Winky and Rattly were like that, Kiddy. :lol:
(Correct me if I'm wrong!)

Okay, that should do it for now.

By the way, Goe; when you said "Kiddy is dumbass and hateful", you meant to say that he is 'easy to hate', right? I must say that I never liked him as much as the other Kongs, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he should be hated. He's just a misunderstood toddler with lots to learn.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Goe » June 4th, 2008, 10:49 pm

thanks for your replies...i see this is a great forum. Well, i'll reply to you:

The DKC2/DKC3 killing sound effect is more sonorous than DKC's

I think not...when you kill an enemy in DKC...it sounds a great hit...when you kill an enemy in DKC2, the sound is really weak. About the killing sound effect in DKC3...i don't remember because i haven't played it since i was a child.

DK UNPLAYABLE IN SEQUELS
I had no problem with this; probably because I rarely used DK in DKC, as Diddy's quick jumping skills suit my play style more. The variety of gameplay concepts introduced with each character was great. Dixie will always be remembered for her awesome helicopter hair, Diddy for his nimble and acrobatic movements, and I guess the main thing I loved about DK was his hand slap. Whenever I play DKC3, I keep wishing Kiddy could pull off that move. Of course, Kiddy's water skip is pretty cool... That little ape brought a new (and quite tricky) skill to the trilogy. Basically, I thoroughly appreciated the variety offered by the introduction of a new Kong for each game. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I liked playing with DK because he can killed strong enemies and find hidden objects hitting the floor. Dixie was a good character but i prefer DK...i understand people who do speedruns prefer Diddy to DK, but i never do speedruns.

About Kiddy is hateful...i mean he is odious...i don't like his dumb appearance, he is the most slow by far, even slower that Donkey, and i didn't like seeing a fat baby saving the heroes of the first game
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » June 5th, 2008, 6:36 am

Qyzbud wrote:I'm pretty sure both Winky and Rattly were like that, Kiddy. :lol:
(Correct me if I'm wrong!)

Well, I meant something like, Rattly is always springing in his tail, while Winky has to do those minijumps. Besides, when he jumps, it's hard to tell where you would hit his legs, in an evitable death (well, Winky's), or you would kill a baddie.

Goe wrote:when you kill an enemy in DKC...it sounds a great hit...when you kill an enemy in DKC2, the sound is really weak. About the killing sound effect in DKC3...i don't remember because i haven't played it since i was a child.

Oh you mean as in "intensity", then you're right. Anyway DKC3's killing sound is the same as DKC2's, except for thougher kremlings.

Goe wrote:About Kiddy is hateful...i mean he is odious...i don't like his dumb appearance, he is the most slow by far, even slower that Donkey, and i didn't like seeing a fat baby saving the heroes of the first game

Mmm... Kiddy is as fast as Dixie in DKC3. Probably because if Dixie was the slow character in DKC2, turning her the speed character with another slow character would be unfair. Besides, he's not fat, he just has big arms =P Diddy is the chubby one (if you never noticed his tummy =P) or at least, Dixie and Donkey are thinner than Diddy :P Besides, that's what makes Kiddy a hero! I mean, how many times you get to play a game where you're playing as a baby relative of your favorite video-game character to save him/her? I mean, A BABY SAVING YOUR FAV VIDEO-GAME CHARACTER! I think it's awesome.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby CM August » June 5th, 2008, 6:46 am

I could have sworn this exact same topic was posted some time ago at the DKU, grammar and all.
With regards to the criticism, I completely disagree. 'Dixie isn't a charasmatic character'... sheesh.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Goe » June 5th, 2008, 7:01 am

You are right august...i posted exactly in DKU, and when i entered in DK Atlas...i copypasted...is my text after all, so i think i haven't done anything bad, and typing the same things twices was silly.
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 6th, 2008, 5:49 am

Yeah, I thought I saw this on DKU. Anyway, Winky was easily better than Rattly, and Expresso beats all.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Return to General DKC Discussion