What the heck happened to Krusha?

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

What the heck happened to Krusha?

Postby Ribbedebie » August 8th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Whereas Klump got a couple of new appearances -albeit sometimes looking a bit different- Krusha appeared to have faded into obscurity.

The first Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land had him as just a bad guy, being upgraded to an individual character in the show. Though the second Donkey Kong Country had the equally-as-muscular Kruncha. Donkey Kong Country 3 had Krumple. Donkey Kong 64 had Kasplat, but Krusha got re-introduced as a single character in the multiplayer mode, probably after success from the show. Apart from ports of the first game, this would be the last we'd have seen of him.

What happened here? I mean, Klump did re-appear quite some times, most notably in Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, but instead of Krusha, there was Kludge. It seems that every chance they got, they replaced Krusha with another big blue Kremling.

So, er, can any of you guys think of a reason why?

I'm sorry if this topic is unnecessary and/or redundant. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Re: What the heck happened to Krusha?

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 12th, 2012, 8:09 pm

I like as many big, blue, elites as I can get.

Krusha was cool though. He had the cuffs, the camo... leotard thing? That yellow Mohawk. He was like the Kremling Mr. T!

Kruncha's clothing looked a little...suggestive to me. I liked how he was so buff that he almost walked with his arms, though.

Krumple was a little weird at first (why were all the Kremlings in Donkey Kong Country 3 NAKED?) and he didn't really have any gimmicks.

Kasplat was just downright badass. He had the hair, the shades, the jacket, the boots, EVERYTHING. He might be modelled after Arnold Schwarzenegger from Terminator II.

Now Kludge looks like he's about to pull someone into an alley and beat him to death with something blunt. They might've modernized him so that he looks like a thug who'd mug you out in the streets of LA at night. I think the reason they replaced Krusha so much was to reflect different "tough-guys" of the era in order to give more personality to the game and its characters. Kruncha was simply in pirate gear, but I can't think of ANYONE for Krumple... and I don't think I want to...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Ribbedebie » August 13th, 2012, 9:34 am

That does make sense, actually. And yeah! The Kremlings in DKC3 were very different from those in the previous games. I'm guessing it was because it had different designers? Not sure.

I think I might've found another theory. Apparently, Krusha is also something else. Or something.. I tried searching for Krusha on Tumblr and most of it was... not 'our' Krusha. Think they might've omitted him from Barrel Blast because of copyright? They DID re-name the track Fear Factory from DKC to Factory Friction in DKCR because of copyrights, so that might be something. I hope this made sense with my poor wording! I'm Dutch, forgive me!

Eh! Your theory makes more sense, actually. :P I get lost in my own mind sometimes...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 13th, 2012, 10:11 am

You don't have to worry about your English :D

Your mentioning of copyrighting is an excellent point, actually. I just scanned Tumblr like you said and got a bunch of Rap and Dubstep artists (two of my least favorite genres). It would definitely be difficult to bring back the name "Krusha" into a Donkey Kong game without some form of legal confrontation. Even if Rare/Nintendo did come up with the name first, I remember reading about Rare changing the name from "Dinky Kong" to "Diddy Kong" due to legal advice (though what exactly went down has never been fully explained).

Nintendo has always been a little partial to the new Donkey Kong series since they and Rare broke up so they might not have wanted to go that far to defend that love-child of a franchise. Or maybe they were just going on with Rare's trend of creating new blue Kremlings.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Return to General DKC Discussion