Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Postby Phyreburnz » September 25th, 2023, 6:19 am

Okay, so I know it's been a good long while since this game was released... but I was wondering if anybody here has played it and what they thought about it.

For myself, man, when I picked up that controller, it just felt RIGHT. I love most everything about it *with one kind of big exception.* The music is fantastic and it's been going through my head recently. I was just listening to it today while I was working on something.

My biggest gripe
Spoiler!
I hate that there's on stupid hard boss instead of multiple bosses. Hate it. In fact, I don't even feel like actually beating the game. I don't want to spend well over half an hour on one stupid boss battle.... soooooo I haven't. I haven't actually beaten the game. I also hate that for completion's sake, you gotta beat that WITHOUT ANY BEES. So if you've not played the game yet, bees are what you rescue at the end of each level. They give you one extra hit point for the final boss. I think there's like 60 some. So you have to play a level that is like half an hour long without any extra hit points. Granted, Laylee flies around a good bit when you do get hit, so it's not like Diddy immediately dying when he gets hit and now you just have DK.

If any of you guys have not picked up this game yet, you really need to. It just feels sooooo much like DKC. The way they feel is just so nice. I never liked the floaty feeling of the newer DKCR and DKCTF games.

I adore Yooka and Laylee and cannot wait to see what Playtonic comes out with next.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Postby Super Luigi! » September 25th, 2023, 12:31 pm

I'll think about it, but I'm glad to hear that you like the game.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » September 27th, 2023, 3:25 am

I heard that this was an awesome game vs the original. Camera angles were bad I heard, though vs n64 rareware platformers. Glad to hear that you’re enjoying it!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Phyreburnz » September 30th, 2023, 2:28 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:I heard that this was an awesome game vs the original. Camera angles were bad I heard

To be honest, I have NO IDEA where all of the hate for the original game came from. People are just weird about games sometimes. The first Y-L was exactly what I expected... hair-pulling mini games and all. I think that a lot of the people that played it had nostalgia goggles on and didn't recently play the B-K and B-T games.

One of the weirdest things involving games and people being weird about game reviews has to be the latest Monkey Island game that came out a couple of years ago. I was stoked for it, got it, and was immediately disappointed. Everybody else loved it, though. I just didn't think it was funny and at no point was I stumped on a puzzle. Each of the other games had some HARD puzzles.

Anyway, about the Impossible Lair, I've been playing through it again recently. One of the things I love about this that's different than DKC is the overworld. The overworld is sort of set up like a 3D platformer, kind of. It's really fun to explore and find secrets. During my first playthrough I had probably as much fun in the overworld as the levels.

The thing that I think was most unique was that each level was actually two. You have to figure out how to change each level, be it freezing it, flooding it, covering it in honey.... lots of changes! I would absolutely love to see them do some more games in this style.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby WesternTanager794 » September 30th, 2023, 9:55 am

I enjoyed reading your lengthy post, Phyreburnz. Playtonic should do more, but it appears that they stopped after this game and "lil' gator game". People aren't creative enough these days. The best coders create games rather than the best game designers. And they don't make games in the silly style of rareware anymore. I have more to say, but this sums it up.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to Gaming Discussion