Soundtrack Restoration

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Soundtrack Restoration

Postby BlueTronic » June 19th, 2017, 6:28 am

That's not supposed to sound like that actually. The original sample is a little piece [single cycle waveform] of a viola sample that I've yet to locate. I used a synth to enhance the sample from the game [fill in the missing frequencies with that of a synth] but something went wrong and the whole thing was just playing a synth and that's why it sounds like a horn. I fixed it and re-exported the mix :thumbs:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » June 20th, 2017, 4:57 am

Sounds much better!! I hope you end up finish flight of the zinger which is one of my fav tracks.
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » June 22nd, 2017, 2:57 am

Okay guys, I made some progress. I found the standard DKC2 snare or at least one that sounds like it. It was in the Roland R-8. These sounds can be very difficult to match because of how compressed they are, and it's especially hard with drums because they involve a lot of noise.

Anyway, I was able to nearly complete Stickerbrush Symphony. The only thing missing is the guitar halfway through the loop. I'm currently using the sample from the game, and you can tell it sounds really compressed, but now all I have to do when I find it is drop it in. Let me know if the mixing sounds good. I still need to give it a few passes before I call it good, so I may update it here and there.

Next up is Flight of The Zinger
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » June 22nd, 2017, 7:55 am

Do you have to manipulate the MIDI data first before dropping any samples in, considering most of the data comes out inaccurate from being converted from SPCs?
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » June 22nd, 2017, 10:16 am

Most of it comes out accurate actually. Pitch bends come out a mess and almost always need to be redone. In DKC2 some notes are wrong. Not sure why that is. Never had a problem with DKC1. Most of the work comes from setting up the volume envelopes and vibrato, and mixing/mastering. Maybe I'll make a video about it. It's pretty fun stuff
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » June 22nd, 2017, 1:15 pm

That neat!! please do.
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » July 2nd, 2017, 8:18 am

Now presenting the first fully restored DKC2 track: Flight of the Zinger! https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5qzu1r30wsum ... r.mp3?dl=0
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » July 2nd, 2017, 8:30 am

Perfect!!

Thanks!!

Also the muted guitars are from the wavestation? and the first square wave note's pitch bend goes too low a bit too soon. but other than that i love it!!
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » July 2nd, 2017, 8:42 am

Fixed. Thanks for that. And yes both are from the Wavestation. The muted guitars are used in a patch in the Wavestation called "midnight run" and the sequence they play is very similar to what they play in Flight of the Zinger so there's your inspiration ;)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » July 2nd, 2017, 8:44 am

Sweet!! Thanks!!

Which one are you going to do next, Either mining melancholy or hot head Bop would be a pleasure, but its up to you. :)
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » July 2nd, 2017, 8:52 am

F :banana: ck, Mining Melancholy may never be done. I can't find those pots and pans anywhere :gnawty-lol:
They might be in the Ensoniq CDR library. Supposedly that one has a lot of novelties
I don't have the bass or the crystal for Hot Head Bop
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » July 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am

Tried to find the pick ax noises but to no avail either. :(

hmm maybe sort the rest of the dk1 tracks out since they are prob easier to find the samples than dk2. like maybe life in the mines?
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » July 2nd, 2017, 1:15 pm

Pickax noises? I don't recall.
Life in the Mines uses a lot of percussion I still haven't found
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » July 2nd, 2017, 2:06 pm

Yeah those sounds at the beginning. Not evern sure what those are called. >__>>
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » July 9th, 2017, 11:06 am

Oh yeah those are metal clangs. The same sound used for the steel keg

Simian Segue (Title Theme) fully restored!*

*Does not include the monkey beatbox sounds, which were recorded by Rareware and have no source. The original samples are used

If anyone is musically inclined, the FL Studio project files are included the dropbox hub. You can download the FLStudio demo and see the restoration in action
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » July 10th, 2017, 5:33 am

Sweet!

Will check those out! by the way did you ev er manage to find the viola for fear factory? saw you have updated it but couldn't tell the difference between the previous version.

Also i thought simian seague was the map theme. then again jungle groove sometimes was called simian seague so i guess the titles don't really matter. :P

EDIT: by the way projects cannot be succesfully opened if i don't have the proper directory structure. :)
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » July 10th, 2017, 6:57 am

No I used the original waveform with the missing frequencies filled in

It's listed as Simian Segue on the soundtrack but I may change it

IDK if you gotta have it in the same directory but the samples are all there
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Postby OrangeC » July 19th, 2017, 3:44 am

Thanks!! Keep em coming! :D
Tourist

Postby reversalmushroom » July 21st, 2017, 3:45 pm

Okay, that Simian Segue link isn't Simian Segue; it's the intro.

And the original links for Aquatic Ambience and Stickerbrush Symphony are dead. For the ones that were originally uploaded incomplete, it seems like you uploaded better versions in later posts, but the original post still links to the first drafts.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby BlueTronic » Yesterday, 12:36 am

Fixed. Also fixed the names

It's called Simian Segue in the OST supplied with the game. The map is called DK Island Swing and Jungle Hijinx is called Jungle Groove.
According to Youtube, people recognize the intro as "Theme," the map as Simian Segue, and Jungle Hijinx interchangeably as DK Island Swing or Jungle Groove.... wtf y'all?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 61

Previous

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks