Rope shenanigans

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 3...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Rope shenanigans

Postby Flurryxvivo » October 8th, 2023, 6:53 am

Somehow, I managed to stumble upon this weird trick which you can do whenever there's a horizontal rope and a Knocka nearby. I did this glitch in Konveyor Rope Klash, but I'm sure it's possible in Lakeside Limbo as well.

1. Lure the Knocka near a horizontal rope, then jump on it to calm it down temporarily. The rope should be next to you, not directly above you.

2. Have Kiddy carry Dixie. Stand where the Knocka is currently resting, and just as the Knocka is about to stand up, jump and immediately throw Dixie upwards. The Knocka standing up should interrupt Kiddy while he's waiting for Dixie to land. Once that happens, you have to move Kiddy to the rope next to you so he holds on to it. Now, when Dixie lands, Kiddy is pulled away from the rope to Dixie, and now Kiddy should be standing beneath the actual floor.

Not necessarily a helpful glitch, but it's a fun one to attempt. Since you're positioned lower on the terrain than usual, you can avoid Knocka simply by crouching, which is kind of funny since the Knocka will be constantly running above you, desperately trying to reach you. Also, I should mention that a similar glitch can be pulled off in Lakeside Limbo. By getting Ellie to an earlier part of the level with ropes and positioning her directly beneath a rope and jumping off of Ellie, you will be put back on Ellie, although you're also in this "lowered" state now. When jumping off of Ellie again, you can see that the Kongs are partially standing in the terrain again. You can get rid of this glitch simply by switching to the other Kong.

My guess is that the developers simply didn't tell the game what to do if a Kong is on a rope but gets pulled away by the team-throw mechanic. The same goes for the glitch in Lakeside Limbo: The game didn't know what to do if the Kong is on a rope but also in a position to mount Ellie, so it just messed around with the height at which the Kongs walk... for some reason. :scratch:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 13

Re: Rope shenanigans

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 9th, 2023, 4:56 pm

Cool! This is why Ellie cannot normally access the areas with ropes in Lakeside Limbo.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Rope shenanigans

Postby Flurryxvivo » October 10th, 2023, 4:28 am

Exactly! I've always found it a bit strange how you get to ride Ellie for such a short time before reaching the goal in Lakeside Limbo. They probably wanted to keep the tradition of the first level having an animal buddy but only realized relatively late that Ellie and ropes don't mix well, so they ended up shoving her into a small portion at the end.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 13

Return to DKC3 Glitches