How do you think this game compares to the other DKC games?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

How do you think this game compares to the other DKC games?

Postby Free2Save » July 6th, 2015, 2:05 pm

I ask because this game seems to be considered a black sheep compared to the other games in the series. I see this game met with either negativity or indifference most of the time. Personally, I love it; I love the variety and the new ideas that each stage brings to the table. I also enjoy the music and the general atmosphere of the game. It's probably my third favorite, behind Tropical Freeze and DKC2, though DKC1 and Returns certainly aren't far behind.

What do you think of the game? Do you enjoy it as much as other games in the series?
Newcomer
Posts: 1
Joined: 2015

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby Koyuki » July 7th, 2015, 1:11 pm

DKC3 has the best graphics and level design, I dont know why the hate...

Soundtrack in 1 and 2 are better, but 3 has TreeTop Tumble and some other memorable songs, the Drain Pipe music is awesome too as the one found in Razor Ridge

DKC3>DKC2>>>DKC1>>Tropical Freeze>>>>>>>>>RETURNS is the worst, very annoying levels at the end
Newcomer
Posts: 4
Joined: 2015

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby Termingamer2-JD » October 19th, 2015, 5:51 am

I've only played a bit of DKC3 on an emulator but it has the best graphics and level design is on par with DKC2.

The only reason this game is underrated is because of Kiddy Kong, though, but I disagree with the idiotic haters, then again I'm the sort of person who would hack Dixie Kong into real life. :dixie-tf:

Get it, it's a great game. Just like the other two.
Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: 2015

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby CountryFan » October 19th, 2015, 2:52 pm

And there's the less-than-stellar soundtrack, especially when compared to the first two.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23
Posts: 79
Joined: 2011

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby Termingamer2-JD » October 19th, 2015, 4:26 pm

CountryFan wrote:And there's the less-than-stellar soundtrack, especially when compared to the first two.

That does detract, but I think the GBA version was composed by David Wise and remixed into better music Or something like that.

But the game itself is great, me myself doesn't really care so much for the music like the first two.
Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: 2015

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby PigmaskColonel » October 21st, 2015, 12:02 pm

CountryFan wrote:And there's the less-than-stellar soundtrack, especially when compared to the first two.


I feel that music is mostly up to taste. There's no need to say it like it's a fact. Here, let me paste my argument for the zillionth time: ;)


"To enjoy DKC3's soundtrack, I think you have to understand the direction that Eveline Fischer/Novakovik was taking. It's not intended to be catchy tunes you whistle to. It's supposed to be more ambient (with the exception of Stilt Village), moody, and overall more atmospheric than anything. Take Water World, for example. This piece is focused on giving an unsettling, lonely, lost feeling to the player. Or look at Nuts and Bolts. It has a industrial rhythm to it. Hard drums, machinery sounds... It's as if the factory is making music. It's overall my favorite DKC soundtrack.

That's just my opinion, and I understand that music being good is not a fact, as it's dependent on people's taste."

Another thing: DKC3's music is done in a way that fits the level, as opposed to DKC2's music. With DKC2, the music seems to be made without the levels in mind; not that that's a bad thing.
Tourist
Bananas received 13
Posts: 43
Joined: 2015

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby the_kong_br » May 15th, 2018, 9:56 am

The problems of the 3 for me are:

1st Baby: Kiddy Kong is very weird, his design is strange
2nd Music: Few songs are remarkable in this game. For me only 6 are legal: Swanky Game, Local Map, Burning String Phase, Rocket Phase, Credits Music and Bonus Music.
3rd Design of the Kremlings: Some were very strange. I prefer the design used in DKC2.

About creativity I find this DK the most creative of the series in the SNES.
The game has several possibilities, even on the map that this time is not a rail.
It even gives to ride the cable car on the map
Minigame to catch the birds and Swanky
It has vehicles for the Kongs in both phases and on the map
Some very different phases like that of the burning rope, of the rays, of the rocket, of the mira followed by the Kongs, of the hacksaw on the tree ....
Has the elephant that adds an interesting gameplay variation
It has "minigame" even to get the DK coins. If you do not understand logic in some phases you can not get it.
The bosses are usually huge and in one in particular the minigame of Swanky until help as training to face him.

I like DK3. It's just not my favorite because of the 3 items up there.

Although after the DKC2 track, it would be very difficult to overcome her in the 3.

There is no way, although the DKC3 have a lot more possibilities than the others and to have the best graphics of the series in the SNES I still choose the DKC2 as best.
Tourist
Bananas received 9
Posts: 48
Joined: 2008

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby the_kong_br » May 15th, 2018, 9:57 am

CountryFan wrote:And there's the less-than-stellar soundtrack, especially when compared to the first two.


This is easily explained: the absence of David Wise
Tourist
Bananas received 9
Posts: 48
Joined: 2008

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby OneOf99 » May 16th, 2018, 5:55 am

I actually quite like the soundtrack of DKC3, it grew on me when I did my 100% completion run of it. It's not as good as DKC2 for sure, but still something amazing nonetheless!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 22
Posts: 361
Joined: 2015

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 16th, 2018, 6:13 am

I grew up with all 3, but have the most memories completing 3. It was a good game, however, for me, in descending order of 'greatness', it goes 2, 1, 3.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 6
Posts: 169
Joined: 2016

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby PegasusMan » May 16th, 2018, 12:16 pm

OneOf99 wrote:I actually quite like the soundtrack of DKC3, it grew on me when I did my 100% completion run of it. It's not as good as DKC2 for sure, but still something amazing nonetheless!


Only 100% completion? ;) Isn't 105% completion possible? I definitely know 103% completion is achievable.
Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8
Posts: 183
Joined: 2014

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 16th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I think 105% is hard mode if I recall correctly. No checkpoints
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 6
Posts: 169
Joined: 2016

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby PegasusMan » May 16th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Yes, that seems to ring a bell. How do you activate this "hard mode"?
Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8
Posts: 183
Joined: 2014

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby Super Luigi! » May 17th, 2018, 7:34 am

DKC3 is the best one of the trilogy when observing its ideas. There are RPG elements now, the world map is explorable, every level has a theme, and the music is great. The save file names and codes are also nice additions.

PegasusMan wrote:Yes, that seems to ring a bell. How do you activate this "hard mode"?

Spoiler!
There are two hard modes: HARDR and TUFST. Both can be entered by pressing, L, R, R, L, R, R, L, R at the file select screen. The first makes the game harder somehow and gives you 104% for finding everything, while the latter takes away checkpoints and most DK barrels in return for a 105% completion reward and starting each level with both Kongs. Combining the two leads to interesting results.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 205
Posts: 1977
Joined: 2012

Re: How do you think this game compares to the other DKC gam

Postby BigDonkey101 » May 27th, 2018, 2:12 am

Personally it's my favorite of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games.

I like Kiddy, he's way more useful than Baby Mario.
I love how each level has it's own gimmick. It really keeps you on your toes.
I love the overworld map screen, and how it opens up more and more with each of Funky's boats. I also like that you can swim in the water on the map screen. It just helps make you feel that you're on a big adventure.
Plus Dixie Kong is the star. :dixie-tf:
Tourist
Posts: 31
Joined: 2009


Return to Donkey Kong Country 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron