DKC3 TAS

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

DKC3 TAS

Postby Tompa » August 31st, 2008, 8:39 pm

Should I have put this in the Emulation section instead perhaps...?
Anyway, a new DKC3 TAS, any% run, was submitted two days ago which might interest some of you here.
http://tasvideos.org/2088S.html

You need THIS modified SNES9X emulator to watch it, there are others versions that work as well. You will have to find the rom yourself.

He, and me as well, might have overlooked a few tricks and such, so please if you find any improvements (That aren't already mentioned in the topic) please mention them!

Enjoy the run
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Re: DKC3 TAS

Postby NxCy » August 31st, 2008, 10:15 pm

I was talking to him on AIM yesterday.

Had he taken damage in Buzza's Blockade (thus putting Kiddy in the lead), he could have used this shortcut in Ropey Rumpus (and complete Pot Hole Panic quicker by water skipping into the barrel before squitter?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAEL8CLJEU

Also there was one of those big klaptrap things in Koindozer Klamber which he jumped over instead of rolled through.

Amazing run overall though. Kong-Fused Cliffs really surprised me.
Tourist

Postby Kowbrainz » September 4th, 2008, 7:26 pm

My internet's capped until tomorrow, so I'll download it then. Looking forward watching it. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Tompa » September 9th, 2008, 9:08 am

Don't know if anyone cares or not.
But he improved the run and I've updated the link in the first post.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » September 9th, 2008, 10:48 am

I indeed care, I've just been flat-out busy over the last week or so. I'm keen to check it out, as I know your TASing is of the finest quality. This topic is probably equally suitable on the emulation board and this DKC3 board, so I'm happy to leave it here*. I'll give some real feedback once I've found some time to check it out. Good to see you're still using your madskillz to the amazement of us DKC fans, Tompa! :D

*The best move might be to start a Tool Assisted Speedruns topic on the emulation board, and list this, and any other great runs in the first post...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » September 9th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Don't get me wrong, Qyz, as I didn't make this movie ;). I was working on it first and reached KAOS, but then I found a lot of timesavers in the beginning so I dropped it and began to work on the 105% instead, which I'm doing with ElectroSpecter, the guy who submitted this run.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » September 11th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Oh... my mistake (at least I was right that you had been working on the run initially). Still, I'm watching it as I type this... the boss battles are very impressive, I must say; especially Arich... but especially KAOS! Nifty trick indeed, when taking on that boxing blade-bot. 8-)

Kreeping Klasps was very nicely done (especially that risky business near the end), Fish Food Frenzy had me feeling nervous the whole way through (especially right at the end!), and Krack Shot Kroc was pure class; it could only have been better in my eyes if Squitter didn't take damage.

I'm curious about those forced-scrolling levels - Ripsaw Rage and Kong-Fused Cliffs; in Ripsaw Rage, the view moves at a set speed no matter what the Kongs do, but in Kong-Fused Cliffs, ElectroSpecter managed to bring it up at high speed... I wonder how that was done. I'm guessing it couldn't have been done in Ripsaw Rage, or he'd have done exactly the same. Shame about having to wait for the end flagpole to spawn, otherwise I'm sure these two levels could be done much faster.

Some nice tricks and glitches in there, too - I'll have to credit the discoverer(s) when they go up on the Atlas. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Raccoon Sam » September 12th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Waiting patiently for an AVI. Can't wait..!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Stone » September 12th, 2008, 7:09 pm

I'm waiting, too. To bridge the waiting time, I even downloaded 10 different TAS videos.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Tompa » September 12th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Not an avi, but there's an MKV ready to be downloaded ;). And it isn't that hard to get a rom and the emulator to play the movie anyway =).

Qyz: It was indeed possible to glitch up the camera in Ripsaw as well. The problem is that he has to wait for the saw anyway for some reason... So it ended up not working afterall. Which he isn't really complaining about as it would be awfully hard to optimize the whole level if you can see anything=P. Maybe if using a cheat to change the camera view...
He was 1-2 frames from getting hit in the end of Fish Food Frenzy, so pretty close indeed ;).
The Arich fight was however done by me. I learned the trick from Kazooie. He did that when he first played the game when he was little :D.
Getting hurt with Squitter saves time, even if it might look bad...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Kowbrainz » September 12th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Ah, I remember seeing a video posted up by Kazooie on the SDA about that KAOS glitch if I recall correctly. Nice. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Raccoon Sam » September 13th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Tompa wrote:It isn't that hard to get a rom and the emulator to play the movie anyway =).

Too bad the special SNES9X for the playback of this movie is only available for Windows.
EDIT: Just saw it. Wondrous work.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Stone » September 16th, 2008, 4:22 am

I finally downloaded the TAS and a SNES9x with soft reset.
(Awesome)³!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Return to Donkey Kong Country 3