Super Mario RPG Discussion

Any games which star Mario can be discussed here; including, but not limited to the Super Smash Bros. games, and other cross-over games featuring both Mario and DK.

Super Mario RPG Discussion

Postby DK4Ever » September 5th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Well, since it's out on the virtual console, and it's such an amazing and popular game (based on reactions it's arrival on the VC got just about everywhere) I think it would be a good idea to start a thread about this marvelous game.

For those of you who bought it, or own it by other means (Snes, Emulation) and have started a new game, what point in the game are you on?

I'm actually not too far along :( and have only just started following Croco with Mallow.

And also, if we could get around to it, why does Geno have the "religious following" of fans that he does? I mean, he's an amazing, really cool character, but really? Why him?
Treasure Hunter

Re: Super Mario RPG Discussion

Postby Qyzbud » September 5th, 2008, 2:02 pm

I never played SMRPG much, but I remember really liking the graphic style, and the fact that it's an RPG in which you can jump! The idea of converting a platformer series like Super Mario into an RPG style while keeping to the theme of the original games always seemed awesome to me, too.

No idea about Geno... although I once convinced my brothers that he could be unlocked as a character in Killer Instinct! :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DK4Ever » September 5th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Hehehe.

Yeah, I always liked the fact that you could jump too. It's a great R.P.G., and really, "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" is a great piece of music.

♥ it.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Swing King » September 6th, 2008, 6:52 am

Just started. Pretty good. Mario's face looks funny in ACM( I think thats the engine. ) Croco makes me think of Kremlings.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Re: Virtual Console Games

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 9th, 2008, 2:07 pm

I just got Princess Toadstool (Peach) in my party, but I haven't played as her yet. When I got Bowser, my party was Mario, Geno, and Bowser, but depending on how good Princess Toadstool (Peach) is, I might switch with her.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » September 10th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Doh, I must be going kinda slow :(

I just got to Moleville, I've got Geno now, and I have two stars (Beat Bowyer, damn, that was an annoying fight)

I went through the pipe detour to Yo'ster's Isle, beat Boshi with Yoshi, and got the Yoshi Cookie (Which will summon Yoshi to battle when I need him)

But yeah, need to go through the mine and beat the stupid bomb clown, lol.
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 10th, 2008, 1:46 pm

DK4Ever wrote:But yeah, need to go through the mine and beat the stupid bomb clown, lol.

Somewhat minor spoilers ahead...
Spoiler!
You mean Punchinello? He wasn't that hard, if you block at the right time, the bombs might not do any damage to you, even if they sacrifice themselves. I also heard that he had 1200 hp, but it certainly didn't seem like that.

I haven't been able to play for the last 2 days, rats! When I do start playing though, I am going to try Princess Toadstool out, and find out if I should replace Geno or Bowser with her, or not switch her at all.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby CaptainEddie » September 11th, 2008, 8:30 am

Let me tell you a story. 3 years ago a friend of mine and I were talking about the SNES and she brought up SMRPG. It sounded cool. Then, I got to play it at my cousin's house on her SNES. I loved it. So I downloaded the ROM, got to Moleville. Half the reason I got my Wii was to legally own this game. Now it finally comes out for the VC and my Wii is FREAKING BROKEN. Had to send t to Nintendo for repairs.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby The Angry Sun » September 11th, 2008, 10:20 am

DK4Ever wrote:And also, if we could get around to it, why does Geno have the "religious following" of fans that he does? I mean, he's an amazing, really cool character, but really? Why him?

Geno has his share of fans mainly because of either:

1.He knew the plot from the very beginning.
2.He's a Star Guy that has cool attacks.
3.He was made by Square.

I don't claim to know a real reason to his popularity since I don't have the game,
I gather all this up from fan comments.
Trainee Trekker

Postby CaptainEddie » September 11th, 2008, 11:09 am

Geno seems like that dude in cartoons that blows everybody off and has a bad attitude, but he is actually very kind. Plus his Geno Whirl does 999 damage.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 13th, 2008, 9:23 am

Hmm... looks like this board has been changed to SMRPG, oh well.

I played Super Mario RPG a few days ago, and I used group hug with Peach, right away I thought, "WHY ON EARTH DO SOME PEOPLE NOT USE HER? SHE'S TOTALLY IN MY PARTY!", I just beat that blooper guy that was after the password, (I cheated a little for finding the password, I got all the clues but one, and still couldn't find it, so I used a site, now I promise myself I won't cheat anymore for my first runthrough).
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » September 16th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Hehehe :)

Well, I'm JUST past that, at Johnny, the final boss of the ship, who's guarding the 5th star, and I'm stuck, he's not THAT tough, but

Spoiler!
He does this thing where he gets Mario alone, and the others have to watch, and it's 1v1, Mario vs. Johnny, and Mario is just not the best guy on my team (Bowser or Geno fit that slot) so I'm like aw, cmon... and when Mario dies, it's game over......even though Bowser and Geno are still standing :(
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 21st, 2008, 10:04 am

I'm in the place you go to after you beat Exor...
Spoiler!
It's too bad he's the last boss in the game with my favorite music, :cry: .
Anyways, I am very close to the end of the game, when I beat the game I think I will challenge myself, by beating the game with only 1-2 characters, or beating the game in the lowest level possible.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » September 22nd, 2008, 5:06 am

How did you beat Johnny? What level was Mario for you?
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 4th, 2008, 1:08 pm

I can't remember, but here's a trick that I found on another site, (I worded it into my own words):
Spoiler!
When you start a fight, kill three of the blue bandana guys, but don't kill the forth one, doing so will keep Johnny from doing the 1 on 1 battle.

EDIT AFTER BUMPING TOPIC: I beat the game, and now I started a single-character challenge, with Mario. I got it from a guide on Gamefaqs. Here is how you play, (put into my own words):
Spoiler!
Only the single-character you pick may fight, while the others have to defend or use goodie bag/mystery egg. You can find the goodie bag in boosters tower, it's in an invisible chest above a chest that has a frog coin in it, I'm too lazy to explain where it is, if you want to know exactly where it is, you can take a look at the guide on Gamefaqs, sorry for my laziness. The Mystery Egg is sold by a person in the item shop in molesville, he has it pretty much when you fight Bundt, somewhere around that time. He sells it for 200 coins. The other characters ARE NOT ALOUD to block an attack by pressing the a or b button, they are also not aloud to run away for the party. The other 2 characters must be the ones with the worst defence. Those characters CANNOT where any armor, weapons, or accessories. You may do whatever you like if you don't have the character yet, except power-level-up. My character is Mario, so I didn't play anything normally. The 2 boss fights where there are exceptions are the Bundt and Valentina/Dodo fights. In the Bundt fight, you have to blow out candles, and every turn, he re-lights a candle, so you aren't really going to get anywhere with just one character. You may equip the other characters with armor, but they can only attack to blow out the candles. In the Valentina/Dodo fight, someone is captured by Dodo, this person cannot be your single player, which means you will have to have another character fight Dodo.
I am stuck on Bundt right now. The cheves kill the other characters even though they where armor. I don't think you are aloud to block with them, but I don't know for sure, I am probably under-leveled, for this kind of challenge at least...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » October 20th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Too bad this was never properly released in Aus until the Virtual Console... >_>

Anyway, I played through a couple of years back and got up to the Axem Rangers on the rom before my save was written over/corrupted/deleted (don't have a clue). Anyone mind telling me how far I was? :/

But yeah, it was a pretty damn good game, all in all. I'm using past tense because I probably won't pick it up again, knowing how much time I put into that save file. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby The Guy » October 21st, 2008, 7:11 am

KB: You were nearing the end.

Well, I never played this, yet I read about it...
Veteran Venturer

Postby SLY JO » October 26th, 2008, 4:56 pm

Wasn't released in Aus.
So when I broke my arm last year, I found a rom for it and got into it.
I have one or two stars left to get, haven't played it in months. I should really finish it off, sometime.
Trainee Trekker

Postby KingBrett » December 17th, 2011, 12:04 pm

All my characters are at level 30. I didn't go for the side quests (Like beating Boshi, composing for Toadofsky, etc) I just wanted to beat Smithy over and over again. He's easy to beat when you get the weaknesses of his heads down during the final battle. (His heads have 8000 HP each while the body I believe has 1000 HP, Smithy's first form has 1200 HP if memory serves me right) Like for the Tank head, just use Shocker if you have Mallow in your party, for the Magic Head just use regular attacks, Spells for the Mask Head (The one that has Mega Recover and Shredder), and vice versa. The Treasure Chest Head is where you'll need the Safety Ring and the Lazy Shell armor for as it is a status-inducing head pretty much.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Return to Mario Games