Brawl Tier List

Brawl Tier List

Postby DK4Ever » September 3rd, 2008, 10:27 am

Whelp, the official Brawl tier list has arrived, and here it is, pulled straight from Smash World Forums (Smash Boards)

After a full spring and summer of competition, the SBR felt as though it was time to take the first stab at a tier list for Brawl. Before I post it, let me remind you all of a few important things:

1. Tier placement doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to beat your friends with a specific character. You might beat your friend's Metaknight with Sonic, but that doesn't mean Sonic is top tier. It means you win that matchup against your friend. Tiers are not absolute measurements of match outcomes.

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures somethingd different than those things.

3. This list is based on a combination of tournament result data, extensive discussions with top players and tournament hosts and looking at general trends in play in the current competitive metagame. It took a lot of work on the part of some of the best minds in Smash to compile this list.

4. This list might change with time. It is based on how we perceive the game to be and play it competitively NOW. However, if a replacement for l-canceling is discovered or new tactics cause the game to evolve over time, this list could change. So if you main a character that isn't near the top, keep playing and evolving their game. You might be the one, like Chu Dat's Ice Climbers back in Melee, that cause people's opinions to change.

5. That said, don't give up hope! Just because your character isn't ranked at or near the top, doesn't mean you can't do fantastic things with them with enough talent and effort. We do not publish this list to encourage players to change their main tournament character. If anything, it should serve as a challenge to take the game to the next level.

6. In Smash, any character can win in any matchup if you are smarter and better than your opponents by a wide enough margin. So keep playing to win and work hard to be the best player you can be, regardless of which character you use.

And without further ado, I present to you the official SBR Brawl Tier List (v1.0):

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Sheik

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon

I was glad Diddy and DK both placed so high.

Thoughts?
Treasure Hunter

Re: Brawl Tier List

Postby Rodent » September 3rd, 2008, 5:04 pm

Eh. I still feel like its alot more balanced than Melee, but its good to know.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Gnawzooka » September 3rd, 2008, 5:47 pm

Meta Knight doesn't suprise me at all. I disagree about Samus though, my friend owns everyone and everything with Samus. Maybe he knows things no-one else does! :o And what the hell? Wolf? What's good about wolf? His blaster is in SUUUPEEEER SLLOOOWW MOOOTIOOON and his...uh...side b (whatever it's called) goes up for some reason.
Feel free to correct me though, I'm not exactly experienced...I don't even have it. :lol:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby DK4Ever » September 4th, 2008, 6:37 am

Well, Wolf's reflector can act like a counter (and, interesting thing I found out, is if you press the buttons right, he can jump and reflector at the same time, twice.)

Wolf also does alot of damage with his tilt attacks (the claw swipe and stuff) and his smash attacks are good, and fast.

And the side-B going up can be a good thing, you can cancel that and make him go further, using it as a stage recovery.

Samus, yeah, I don't really use Samus, but from the ones I've played, I can tell Samus' weaknesses are being much slower, and her missile and blaster attacks not doing nearly as much as they used to.

I use really Diddy, Pikachu, Lucario, Sheik, and Captain Falcon, and besides Falcon being at the very bottom, (Dissapointed as I was, I knew it was coming) I still think the list is perfect as is (For now. It will change over the years)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » September 4th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Captain Falcon seems a little bit gay to me, especially in his pink costume. :shock:
But how can Jigglypuff be so low? Just because most of his attacks are almost useless and his useful one has a tendency to send YOU off the edge... :)
Despite how crap he is, I love using Jigglypuff, it's alot of fun. :D
Ganondorf certainly doesn't surprise me though. As for Sonic, they obviously didn't take Smash Balls into account, but it doesn't count Items does it? I had a game once against my friend as Meta Knight and him Sonic. I was owning him, but everytime a Smash Ball came.......
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby DK4Ever » September 5th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Nah, it competitive Smash, items are not favored...at all.

Of course, I have this one guy I know who constantly tells me how unfair the tier list is, and how good he plans to make Sonic and yada yada, and I just kinda smile at him..

Characters in the high/top tiers always have something going for them that's either broken or amazing. (Meta Knight in general, Snake's hitboxes, Diddy's banana game, Lucario's combos, Wario's recovery, Falco's chaingrabs, PIkachu's....power and speed, etc. etc.)

And Sonic doesn't have ANY of these, so, I just kinda look at him whenever he says it.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » September 5th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Plus all of sonic's attacks aren't very different. In fact, two of them are almost identical, except one has a little jump first.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Return to Super Smash Bros. Series