What did you like best about DKC?

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

What did you like best about DKC?

Postby Rodent » August 29th, 2008, 10:30 am

The starting point of the trilogy. :D

The standout points for this game to me were the graphics, the level layouts, the soundtrack and Donkey Kong being in a DKC game. Orangutan Gang was probably the best level, just because you got to return to the jungle later on in the game. The jungle was, like, what the game was about. :P The feel of that was epic.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Re: What did you like best about DKC?

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I'm not sure exactly what it was. The graphics and music were definitely a plus, especially since some of the other games I had at the time were Mario, Starwing and Boogerman (best game ever!!!!!!!! :lol: ), and it was certainly much better than all of those.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kiddy14 » August 29th, 2008, 2:29 pm

The music... the graphics (specially world maps)... the sound effects... everything :D
When I got the game... I was atonished. It was extremely difficult, had fun levels, in one moment you were in a jungle and then in a temple and then in water!
Really, there are no words to describe DKC's awesomeness.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby whitepony » August 30th, 2008, 12:17 pm

I think it was the sheer speed of it that did it for me. I think thats an aspect of the dkc games that are often overlooked and the reason that i cant get into the pegs of the newer games. Just rolling into enemies and getting through levels without really stopping is such a great feeling.
Newcomer

Postby Diddy_Gal » September 7th, 2008, 4:47 am

It's all about the 3D graphics, sound, and music. ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby kchrules » December 1st, 2008, 6:52 am

The only game with "Animal Bonuses"
Plus You didn't have to beat the bonus games to get percents for them.
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » December 1st, 2008, 11:21 am

To me, the physics in DKC are more fun and more varied than either of its sequels. I like how in DKC you can jump on a baddie, and bounce into another from underneath... great for bouncing around on the Neckys in Forest Frenzy. In other DKC games hitting a baddie from underneath just hurts your Kong. The 'hit 8 baddies consecutively for an extra life' was cool in DKC, even if it was borrowed from Mario...

Finding buried/hidden bananas was awesome. As was speeding through the air (and on foot) with Expresso, and exploring treetops in the jungle... lots of good fun!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby PotoGamer » December 1st, 2008, 11:35 am

I love how natural it is compared to its sequels, the jungles are bright and very lively in this game, unlike the dark jungles in DKC2 & DKC3, the music also has a natural feel, like the mines and caves. I also liked Expresso, it's so fun to glide and go through Klaptraps without a bite!
Trailblazer

Postby nickduffy27 » March 26th, 2010, 7:10 am

I really enjoyed every aspect of the game. The boss battles (having to fight giant versions of enemies you commonly see), the map-screen, it was all just excellent.
Tourist

Postby HavocReaper48 » August 19th, 2010, 1:25 pm

The map screens were bright and cheerful, and so were the levels. DKC has a very epic and varied soundtrack as well. The cast was great too- Cranky simply will never get old. Funky, in my opinion, was at his coolest here. And Candy, she's cool too. Jungle levels will never get old. The game is easy and fun, not to mention plenty of secrets. Also, the animal buddies. Rambi is unforgettable. Enguarde was incredible as well. I'm sad Winky was only in this one game. Expresso was so useful, his flying is needed in so many secret areas.

Basically, everything about DKC. DKC will never be old. I've played it since childhood.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby DK4Ever » August 19th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Literally everything.

Everything. From the graphics to the soundtrack to the story to the characters to the game's natural feel to the environments to the soundtrack to the controls and the attacks and abilities and handling to the soundtrack to the secrets back to the graphics.

Everything about the game was good, that's what's so amazing about DKC. Aw yeah.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Phyreburnz » September 25th, 2010, 6:00 am

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that I did not like in DKC. Although, if I had to pick.... I'd say EVERYTHING! Ok, well, seriously, if I had to pick (it would have to be a life or death situation), it would probably be the end animation with Diddy and Donkey. I loved how they had them fighting. I don't mean to sound gay, but it was cute... (wow, I hate it when I use that word)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » February 17th, 2012, 8:29 pm

So do spambots now register on forums and talk about things somewhat on track in an attempt to advertise products? Because something tells me floranicolas isn't a real person. Heck, even Googling his post confirms that :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Ribbedebie » March 29th, 2012, 1:00 am

And he claims the first DKC has hideous graphics, too? HISS.

lol

ANYWAY what I like best about DKC is that there's just so much things to think about! For me at least. I mean, I had to make a whole BLOG for my theories and ramblings. And just how beautifully the games and cartoon intermingle with the stories and all. You can really see where the first game left off in the second. Not to mention the Kremlings are so cool.

I probably make no sense. I'm sorry.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Return to Donkey Kong Country