Mario Super Sluggers

Mario Super Sluggers

Postby Diddy_Gal » June 10th, 2008, 4:57 am

OK, for those of you that bought Mario Superstar Baseball for the Nintendo Gamecube, This is the upcoming game for the Mario Sports series called Mario Super Sluggers (I'M BUYING THIS!).
Image (Japanese Boxart)
And I found this —> Image
And this one too! —> Image

Our old primate pals Donkey Kong and Diddy are now team captains again! (Only in VS Mode) And also...
Spoiler!
The newcomers for Donkey Kong's team are Baby Donkey Kong,Tiny Kong, King K. Rool, Kritter, and Funky Kong. (HEY MAAAAN!)

RELEASE DATES: Japan: June 19th (Darn It!)
United States: August 26th
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Re: Mario Super Sluggers

Postby Stone » June 10th, 2008, 6:19 am

Nice choice of newcomers, but...
Spoiler!
...why do they always choose Tiny instead of Dixie?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » June 10th, 2008, 6:21 am

Spoiler!
DIxie's already confirmed.

Spoiler!
I'm glad so many DK characters are in, especially K. Rool, but I don't see how K. Rool and Kritter would be on DK's team. It just doesn't make sence.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Stone » June 10th, 2008, 6:31 am

Oh, I'm not quite up-to-date. :D
Spoiler!
Jomingo wrote:DIxie's already confirmed.

That's nice! There should be no game including Tiny without Dixie ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » June 10th, 2008, 6:38 am

I couldn't agree more.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 15th, 2008, 8:51 am

Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in Mario history, Lakitu is now a playable character.

Truly awesome.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 15th, 2008, 11:47 am

Truly awesome indeed, but I don't recall seeing him in the character select screen thing, but then again, neither was Princess Peach. What is up with that roster, we already know of two characters that aren't on it, so maybe there's a second page of characters?

I am so confused!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 15th, 2008, 12:21 pm

My best explanation? That was probably a beta screen. I can't see how they could fit all the characters on there. Oh, and are you guys loving the fact that every character in this game is getting a render? I mean, some of them are old renders, but in Mario Superstar Baseball only the captains got such art.

Spoiler!
Which means there will also be brand-new Kritter, Tiny, and Baby DK renders! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 15th, 2008, 12:27 pm

So, if that were in fact a beta screen, and we know of two characters that weren't on it, than that means there are probably more characters that haven't been announced yet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 15th, 2008, 12:30 pm

:shock:

That's probably true. Dare I dream for more Donkey Kong characters? I've always thought that Pauline should make a comeback in the Mario series, especially after Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2. She's very... erm, "well-rounded", shall we say.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 21st, 2008, 2:51 am

Holy f*cking f*ckedy f*ck f*ck.

K. ROOL IS THE AWESOMEST VILLAIN EVARRRRRRR.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 21st, 2008, 5:42 am

1) I don't like the way K. Rool looks. Maybe this design would be better if they added the cape.
2) I still don't understand that roster. Before there was no Peach, now Peach is in Luigi's spot and Luigi is in DK's and DK isn't on there.
3) I love the different colored Kritters. :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 21st, 2008, 6:17 am

1) I do. It's pretty awesome.
2) There are 41 characters in the game, but only room for 40 in the character select screen. The captain you choose before going to said screen is taken off because of space constraints.
3) YES.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 21st, 2008, 6:19 am

4) Has anybody else mentioned that Funky Kong uses a surfboard as his bat?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Diddy_Gal » June 22nd, 2008, 7:04 am

1. Wow! King K. Rool looks so sexy in his new costume!
2. Funky uses a SURFBOARD for a bat? That's the same thing that Donkey Kong using a boxing glove!
3. Is there a different color of Kritter besides Brown and Green?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 22nd, 2008, 9:48 am

From what we've seen, Kritters come in red, green, and blue.

And Lakitu isn't playable.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 23rd, 2008, 8:01 am

Yeah, I was going to mention that. They showed a picture of him because he was in the game as a ref like always, not as a playable character.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 9th, 2008, 9:00 am

That's......kind of scary looking.

Spoiler!
Woot! 100th post!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Mattrizzle » July 9th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Baby D. K. !? Why'd they waste a spot that could have been occupied by D. K. Junior or Kiddy Kong?

But noooo, Nintendo would never allow that!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby CaptainEddie » July 9th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Though it would be better, let's remember that neither of them have been in any games for years. Baby D.K. was in Yoshi's Island DS. Of course they would go for the newest of the three extremely similar characters.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CM August » July 9th, 2008, 8:06 pm

On the plus side, Baby DK doesn't have the grotesquely large chin they decided to give DK.
Jungle Explorer

Postby CaptainEddie » July 10th, 2008, 1:46 am

Exactly. Nintendo gave Donkey some ugly looks(go look at Jungle Beat CG art).But still, can he even play? I mean, he's a baby, babies shouldn't be playing baseball with adults and NO HELMETS. That includes Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, and Baby Daisy too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » July 10th, 2008, 1:57 am

Baby DK was only included because they had Baby Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy. I'm surprised that Baby Wario wasn't in any of the sports games yet, I wanted him more than Baby Daisy. But, now that they have Baby Daisy they can't have Baby Wario, because then they would have to make Baby Waluigi, and that would be too much.

Anyway, I actually like how Baby DK looks.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 10th, 2008, 2:01 am

He looked better on the Yoshi's Island DS box. :|
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby DK4Ever » July 30th, 2008, 6:14 am

I'll definitely be buying this.

it's the first time I've seen Nintendo pay attention to K. Rool in..well..maybe ever..except for Sakurai, although he's not really Nintendo.

And I can make a team of solely DK characters! Woo!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Sean » August 26th, 2008, 1:21 pm

I've actually come to like Baby DK in recent times, simply because combined with Diddy he basically keeps DK Jr. from ever showing up in a DK or Mario game with the rest of the Country cast. Which is fine by me, he's probably gonna be in the Mario vs Donkey Kongs eventually anyway.

I will admit that I was impressed by all the characters Namco included (all using, of course, Paon's models), but I doubt I'm getting this simply because I hated the Gamecube version with a passion. Hideously good opponent AI and really awkward controls makes me lose constantly and want to punch the screen. No thanks, not making that mistake again.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » August 27th, 2008, 12:24 am

Well, the controls should be completely different this time around, right? Though, maybe not for the better, as it may be just as annoying to have to swing that remote around.

And I thought the original was pretty good as far as Mario Sports games go, I mean, it did include a pretty good story(ish) mode.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 27th, 2008, 7:57 am

So... anyone have it yet? I'll be buying it tomorrow.

And I don't know if you guys know this, but there's a website for Mario Super Sluggers where you can collect virtual baseball cards from sites across the internet, swap them with other players, and they even have a forum. I unlocked a special wallpaper depicting cards of all the characters, and guess what? K. Rool's render for the game is just his Jungle Climber render with his Egyptian clothes Photoshopped in. Can't say I didn't see it coming, but... Come on!

And here's the link to the site: http://www.mariosupersluggerscards.com If you want to get the wallpaper with all the cards, you have to combine Mario and Peach in a Double Play.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Sean » August 27th, 2008, 9:02 am

Which is still better than I expected: I figured K. Rool (alongside Kritter and Tiny) wouldn't get a render at all, since Namco's not too big on making new ones. I can't get this stupid card site to load the sign up process, but on the Japanese site they use Funky and Dixie's JC renders to represent them. (Those actually seem to be the standard go-to renders, actually; Funky's JC render is also used for MK Wii.)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 27th, 2008, 9:45 am

Sometimes it loads reeeeeeeeally slow. But not always.

And, as I predicted above, each character that didn't have a stand-alone render received one... Dixie and Funky's JC renders are used on their cards as well, but Tiny, Kritter, and Baby DK didn't have an old one to reuse. Same applies for characters like Petey, Wiggler, or Monty Mole.

Who do you guys think is responsible for K. Rool's change in outfit? My money was on Paon, but Namco could've done it to reflect the DK Jungle stadium's tribal motif.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 27th, 2008, 11:29 am

Well, I doubt it would be Paon unless they are secretly working on a DK game that would feature this outfit.

We can only hope....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » August 27th, 2008, 12:11 pm

I just saw the ad to the game, it was hilarious!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 27th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Yeah, it is! Teachers who know sign language are awesome. :lol:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Sean » August 27th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I will assume that Namco came up with the outfit until I see the supposed Paon game that features it. (In other words, I will always assume it.)'

Incidentally, Tiptup, since you've apparently seen all the cards and going to find them all the way the site intends sounds like a colossal pain in the neck, mind getting screencaps of all the relevant DK cards? Fronts and backs would be nice, I kinda wanna read profile info too.

EDIT: I just found Kritter's card, and assuming I can find more, I might take some of the load off Tiptup and put the (DK relevant) cards up somewhere. Be nice to have them all in a place for if and when this site goes down, after all. I am impressed that they went and made new poses for renders, and I'm going to assume that Namco did that and not Paon (as generic and any-game-suiting the renders are). I laughed at the "Rookie 1994" bit on the back of Kritter's card, it's nice to see them do their research in little in-jokes.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Sean wrote:the "Rookie 1994" bit on the back of Kritter's card

Ah, I like it; that's a clever little touch. ;)

Feel free to attach the cards here, if you'd like. Especially the DK relevant ones, of course.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sean » August 27th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Of course then I get Funky's card and it lists his rookie year as 1999... eh, can't win them all.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 27th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Yeah, that ticked me off. I even posted a topic on the forums saying "Funky's Rookie Year is Wrong!" but all posts are reviewed by Nintendo before they make it on the site. So no one's ever going to see that one. :(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 28th, 2008, 1:02 pm

I got the game! AND MY MII SHARES CHEMISTRY WITH PETEY PIRANHA! Oh, happy day! :D

The showdown between my and my brother was epic. My Mii is at the bat, and his is pitching:

Me: I have failed you Jake, I have failed you.
Jake: No. I will rise to be more powerful than you can ever imagine, and take over the Baseball Kingdom.
Me: No, my padawan! Microsoft is evil!
Jake: From my point of view, Nintendo is evil!
Me: Well then you are lost!

*Universe implodes.*
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » August 28th, 2008, 1:29 pm

Epic-ness.

From a serious point, I'm kind of on the middle-ground in that would-be, awesome, amazing showdown with your brother.

Rare is currently with Microsoft, Microsoft insures Rare a long life. Rare created DKC, DK64, and Banjo. Therefore, Rare = good.

On the downside, siding with Microsoft = not siding with Nintendo, who I've loved for 14 of my 17 long years, since I played SMB for the first time.

On the other hand, Nintendo has broken my heart twice now. Once, by mauling DK into dust, before handing him off to Paon, who tried to clean him up, ad did ok.

A second time, at E3 this year, hoping for amazing (DK, Starfox, F-Zero or Pikmin related) news, we received more "Hey gaiz, we lovez the casual gamers now, GTFO!!!! and Wii Music, and NOT any of the aformentioned series games.

Nintendo still has the Pikmin series though, and since Pikmin 3 was announced, I have a reason to still like them, if only slightly. My two favorite series, DK and Banjo, have been sold or forgotten by Nintendo (well, kind of, for Banjo's point) and my other Favorite series, Pikmin, is Nintendo's only appeal to me right now, because they're going to be mauling Zelda into the ground, using the Wii balance board as a major function for the next game... :cry: :cry: :cry:

So right now, I'm loving my X-Box, I get to finally experience Stop N' Swop's purpose when Nuts and Bolts comes out on the 14th of November, and man, that will rock, and then I get to spend the next 48 hours making the most amazing vehicles ever, (Tank with the barrel on the bottom!!!) and trying to get my stolen moves back from Grunty (or somesuch) and beat the challenges of the LOG. And hang with Jolly, the "interesting" bartender, and good ol' Captain Blubber.

Good times await!

(Oh, and if the online mode for it really is racing/battle with your customized vehicles.... oooooohhhh...yeaaaahhh.... *drool*

WOW I GOT OFF_TOPIC!!!!

Anyway, yeah, lessee those K. Rool renders, Tiptup!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » August 30th, 2008, 10:34 am

I got the game, and I have every DK character except Baby DK, though I assume you probably get him in the Yoshi stadium(which I haven't gone to yet). I think I like Funky the best so far, he's not quite as powerful as DK, but he has a wider range with his surfboard. I haven't even gotten a chance to play as K. Rool yet, I just unlocked him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 30th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Baby DK is in Donkey Kong Jungle, my friend. Let's see if you can find him after unlocking another captain or two. ;)

I freaking love the game, and if anyone on this forum fancies themselves Donkey Kong fans, you'll all buy it. Playing through DK Jungle in Challenge mode is absolute heaven (especially when you encounter K. Rool.)

Spoiler!
K. Rool says the following after being awoken by the defeated Kritters:

By my toothy grin! Who dares to disturb my rest?

I bet you guys got a kick out of that one, huh? :lol:

And here's a slightly pixelated render of K. Rool for ya.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » August 30th, 2008, 4:30 pm

What's with here's wierd outfit? He looked better in DKC. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sean » August 30th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Since when is it weird for K. Rool to don an alternate outfit?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Gnawzooka » August 30th, 2008, 8:04 pm

In his other outfits he has different persona's to go with them. This is still King K.Rool, but he has wierd clothing. He doesn't even have the cape.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Swing King » August 30th, 2008, 10:15 pm

I'm not sure if this is true, but there are rumors that DK Wii will have an Egyptian theme somewhat akin to DKC2's pirate theme.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » August 31st, 2008, 1:37 am

That would be cool, and would make sense, swing King. (Or at least K. Rool would be egyptian themed. King Pha-rool, anyone?)

And come on Gnawzooka, his personality wasn't different in DK64 when he was King. Krusha K. Rool. I think this Pha-rool outfit is acceptable :)

Man.. I've gotta get this game..
Treasure Hunter

Postby Swing King » August 31st, 2008, 1:41 am

Call him Khufu K.Rool. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » August 31st, 2008, 4:54 am

Why does the DKU get to name all the characters! I think Pharool is great.

Seriously this games awesome at times, but less so at other times.
Spoiler!
Like Sean said about the first game, the controls are awkward and the enemy AI is way too good. In certain scout missions, like the one where you have to Hit 3 balls out of 10 to right field, it is nearly impossible to do because every ball you hit to right field gets caught and doesn't count, and every ground heading that way will get stopped by one of the infielders. Also, a few of the later times when you fight Bowser Jr., it is extremely hard. He pitches so cheap. He is always doing curve balls and his "super pitch" or whatever it's called. You'll play around 30 matches and every one of them will either be a humiliating loss or a frustratingly close loss.

The controls suck, period. In high pressure situations you will realize that there is often a delay in the "motion sensitivity" that will cost you a play. Why can't I just press the C button to throw or run or something, it's not doing anything! You will start to realize after playing for a while that you don't have to swing the remote like a bat, you can get the exact same response from lightly flicking it against your knee! In fact, you will realize that long arm movements don't respond very well compared to swift wrist movements. Not that the wrist movements work all the time, as the game makes a lot of mistakes in the motion control recognition department. There are tons of times when the motion doesn't register, or when it registers a motion when you didn't even do anything!
Also, often times when a ball is hit to the outfield, the camera (which always follows the ball in these situations) doesn't allow you enough space to see where your nearest outfielder is, and where you should move them. And I wish the game was a little better at deciding which outfielder to make you control. I know you can switch to another at the press of a button, but that thought process slows you down just enough to miss the ball.

Spoiler!
But other than the main gameplay and controls, the game is pretty good. The story mode is great, not only does every captain have there own ball park, they also have there own entire interactive world. And this game actually has a story mode that explains why you are playing.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Next

Return to Mario Sports