Moderators

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

Moderators

Postby Jomingo » March 14th, 2008, 7:48 am

I couldn't help but notice that Cfh and Kowbrainz have now become Mods, congratulations by the way. I was actually going to suggest Qyz make some mods in order to take a little bit of the load off of his shoulders. Anyway, I was just wondering what your selection process was for choosing these mods, and if you need any more, I would be happy to help. If this discussion has already taken place in another topic, please just link me there and delete this topic.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Moderators

Postby BlueTronic » March 14th, 2008, 7:50 am

No, it hasn't.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 14th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Jomingo and others,

I had strongly intended to make a 'press release' last night regarding my choice of moderators here. I was just coming to terms with the actual techniques used to change user permissions, and to correctly group them to reflect these changes, when I made a rather dreadful mistake with the formatting of the forum. I reset half of the visual components, which left things looking like a jumbled mess. This was sometime around 1am my time, and I was getting rather tired. As you can hopefully see, I managed to repair the damage, but was exhausted after staying up so late to do so.

So, my apologies for being remiss regarding this important announcement!

Dear DKC Atlas Forum members,

I have decided to choose two of our most intelligent, level-headed and trusted members to become forum moderators: cfh and Kowbrainz.

We have been very fortunate here to have thoughtful and well-meaning members (cheers guys!), and it hasn't been necessary to do much moderating at all, but I have thought for a while about the idea of having a couple of forum staff, and I've now decided to act. I chose Kowz and cfh to be moderators because I've been able to get to know them over the last few weeks (longer in cfh's case), and I think they have the perfect temperament for the job. I want this forum to be welcoming and respectful to others and their opinions, as well as intelligent and interesting. These guys are certainly all of these things, so I know they will help to uphold the ideals of DKC Atlas.

I'm not looking for any more moderators at this point, but thanks to those who have expressed interest.

Regards,
-Qyz
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CM August » March 14th, 2008, 6:50 pm

So I hear this cfh and Kowbrainz are pretty cool cats.

Hey, we almost have a ruling Aussie triumvirate. Crikey!
Jungle Explorer

Postby Kowbrainz » March 14th, 2008, 7:04 pm

CM August wrote:Hey, we almost have a ruling Aussie triumvirate. Crikey!

Ah, yes. It's all part of our plan to take over the (DKC) world!!

Ahem. Yeah, cheers guys. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » March 15th, 2008, 6:05 am

Well congratulations again to you both, and if any more help is needed in the future, just know that I am happy to do what I can.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby nickp17 » March 15th, 2008, 7:36 am

most intelligent? :lol:

Spoiler!
just kiddin guys :)
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Stone » March 15th, 2008, 9:23 am

Congratulations from my side, too. :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby BlueTronic » March 15th, 2008, 9:36 am

most intelligent?
Spoiler!
Just kidding, guys

lol I was actually planning on saying something somewhat similar:

Qyzbud wrote:I have decided to choose two of our most intelligent, level-headed and trusted members to become forum moderators (Kong-Fu says: But since I couldn't find any I picked these guys! :D): cfh and Kowbrainz.

Spoiler!
Just kidding, we know you're smart. :mrgreen:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 15th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Congratulations guys, and no offense, but... This is kind of random. Do we really need mods? And what exactly is the selection process for becoming a mod? I'm not looking for a job or anything (Brawl) but I'm not so sure about these new positions. :?

Once again, congratulations to y'all.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby nickp17 » March 15th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Yeah, I didt mean any disrepect from my above post.

Congrats guys! :D
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 15th, 2008, 3:23 pm

As I tried to indicate, the selection criteria was that I like those guys. :P

I just wanted at least one person to be able to help sort out jumbled topics and the like if I can't be around... I'm a busy Qyzzy, mmmkay? Both of those fellows have just kinda seemed right for the job. It's really not a big deal (to quote The Lion King's Timon: they're still the same guys - but with power!), and it doesn't mean they are better for the job than anyone else really, just I picked the two who I felt most comfortable with.

Hope you understand. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 15th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Busy Qyzzy wrote:I'm a busy Qyzzy

I lol'd. A very busy Qyzzy, indeed. :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 10:33 am

After some discussion with our Mods, I've decided to enlist some fresh blood... Jomingo is now a DKC Atlas Forum Moderator.

Please treat him with the respect you would give me. Erm, actually maybe a little more respect than that. Don't spit on him. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 10:37 am

Can I give him another mayonaise sandwhich? :|
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Stone » April 28th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Feeding-time is over ;)
And congratulations Jomingo!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » April 29th, 2008, 5:21 am

Thanks, I'll do my best. And no more sandwiches KongFu, I have power now! :twisted:

Just Kidding.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » April 29th, 2008, 7:13 am

The funny thing is, I was the first user to be offered a position as a mod, and now I feel like the only regularly active user that's not. :roll:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 29th, 2008, 11:15 am

Funny thing indeed. Lulz! I wonder why that could be...
Spoiler!
Do you want me to edit quotes into this post of every time I've had to tell you off for doing things that no user/moderator should do?

I would have to use this spoiler tag to hold them, or risk having such a long post that everyone's scroll-wheels would break from overuse. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 29th, 2008, 11:28 am

Lulz? :|... What?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 1st, 2008, 9:02 am

Congratulations, Joe Minga! I never thought I'd see the day when you became a moderator. And I mean that in a good way.

But I feel left out now. :cry:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » May 1st, 2008, 10:46 am

Ah, Tiptup. Trust me; life is much simpler without the added pressures which come with being a Mod/Admin.

Consider yourself among the fortunate... for now, at least. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » May 1st, 2008, 11:26 am

Yeah, being a Mod has a lot of pressure. But I find new ways to cope with it. I now cut myself and do cocaine.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » May 1st, 2008, 12:16 pm

Jomingo wrote:I now cut myself and do cocaine.

That soooouuuunds sooooooo emo! XD

Spoiler!
Nah... joking. I'm ok with emos. Not that Jomingo is one XD
Or is he? Nah... XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 2nd, 2008, 9:01 am

Ah, Tiptup. Trust me; life is much simpler without the added pressures which come with being a Mod/Admin.

I'll take your word for it. Although it would be interesting to see what I would do as a Mod, I'm more content with playing Mario Kart Wii all day. :P So yeah, that's why I haven't been on the forums for the past few days.

Consider yourself among the fortunate... for now, at least. :)

...I'm scared.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Cody » May 3rd, 2008, 5:57 am

To be honest, I think the three moderators are enough. The three so far are helpful, mature, and intelligent (from what I know). I don't think anyone else - especially all the people who beg - should be a moderator.

I don't think most people get that it isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially on such a popular forum. There's a lot of responsibility, you don't just get to lock stuff and ban people.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Kowbrainz » May 4th, 2008, 6:59 pm

I disagree. Everyone should be treated equally here, so I think everyone can be moderators.

...it's just some of us can ban the other moderators because we're... more equal than the others. :P

Jokes aside, in my experience moderating other forums, if you elect a lot of people during the early stages of a site's development because they're active, friendly, like to help out etc, when the site becomes more active later down the track, a lot of them tend to rely on others to do all the work for them anyway, and being a moderator simply becomes a case of having a cool title under your name. If people are really hard working and friendly and all, I'd have no problem in giving them a quirky title under their name or something, but electing every helpful member as a mod is just asking for trouble.

Edit: lol 300th post. ^_^
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » May 5th, 2008, 1:44 am

Definately, too many moderators on a relatively inactive forum is just asking for trouble.

EDIT: Lol, 545th post.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Kowz says "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Postby Qyzbud » July 30th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Hi guys,

Just a note to let you all know that Kowbrainz has notified me that he will no longer be a DKC Atlas Forum Moderator.

He has cited reasons including study and other commitments, and thinks that a moderator should be more active than he has been, and is able to be.

In a PM to me, Kowz wrote:I'd love to contribute with reviews or features or what not in the future if I have the time, however I think that the title of 'Moderator' isn't a good reflection of someone who simply tries to help out around the site; it's supposed to be for people who are able to keep the community together, by staying active and making sure that discussion doesn't get out of hand. And if I'm only on the site once a week or fortnight, then I don't think this job is cut out for me anymore.

Thanks for everything, though. I'll be sure to pop my head in every now and then - don't worry, as this isn't the end of me on the forum, it's just where I feel my history as a DKC Atlas Moderator should end.

See you around,

Kowz

So there you have it.

Thanks for your work here, Kowz; and good luck with life, the universe and everything. ;)

Note: I won't be looking to appoint another Moderator just yet, but it's a possibility for sometime in the near future.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 30th, 2008, 12:16 pm

I would like to let you know that I'm interested in becoming a mod, but you probably are okay right now, but whenever you do need more, I'm interested, for your information.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 30th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Uh... I'll do it.

*And destroy all of you.* :twisted:

Seriously though. If you're looking for people who are on the forums alot, that's-a me!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » July 30th, 2008, 12:42 pm

I'm also in the forums a lot.
Except that I'm not interested in becoming one.
I've always thought I'm not capable of doing the job.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 30th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Seriously though. If you're looking for people who are on the forums alot, that's-a me!

I'm on the forums a lot to. I'm on pretty much 5 times a day.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 30th, 2008, 1:09 pm

I knowz. I mean, there's a lot of people who are... Maybe this is too soon. Qyz said he *might* look for a new mod, so let's let him breathe.

Spoiler!
But to secure the position, I KNOW WHERE YOUR CAT LIVES. :evil:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » July 30th, 2008, 2:34 pm

I'm on the forums alot, and I may not have alot of posts, and I definitely haven't been on the site long, but... I love Donkey Kong (duh, hehe), and want to do as much as I can to help this community to help it grow :)
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 30th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Lots of us want to be moderators, but Qyzbud can only pick the people he can trust, and who go online some what often. We will all have to wait until Qyzbud needs another moderator...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » July 30th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Thanks Qyz.

Jeez... thought I'd see something better than 'I wanna be mod now'... :/
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 30th, 2008, 10:01 pm

I can't see myself as a moderator. Sounds too much like a responsibility.

Moderation is usually flawed in most forums anyway. Hope DKCA won't turn that way.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 31st, 2008, 1:05 am

Jeez... thought I'd see something better than 'I wanna be mod now'...

Eh, it's just how we roll. Maybe we jumped the gun a bit.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 31st, 2008, 1:12 am

I don't really know how I was acting all hasty, all I said was "I'm interested", but oh well, I'll try to be less hasty next time.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 31st, 2008, 1:29 am

When Qyz needs another mod(he doensn't right now), I'm sure he won't choose someone just because they ask. He'll choose the people who are right for the job. I think a lot of you want to be moderators, but don't neccessarily want or know how to moderate. You're more interested in the title, not the job. DK4Ever, sorry, but we won't choose such a new member. We don't need another mod now, but when we do I'm sure we'll choose one of the veterans who have proven themselves. All of you, there's more to being a moderator than logging on 5 times a day. I'm not going to go into detail, this is a discussion that should take place between Qyz and the other Mods when the time comes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 31st, 2008, 3:35 am

Allllllrighty then. I suppose we should shut up now.

Spoiler!
But remember... THE CAT. :twisted:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 31st, 2008, 3:58 am

Jomingo wrote:I think a lot of you want to be moderators, but don't neccessarily want or know how to moderate. You're more interested in the title, not the job.

You do have a point. For people who don't know how to moderate, this might help you: faq.php#f41

I'll be quiet now, :) .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 2nd, 2008, 10:40 pm

I'm a little surprised... So many wanting to replace Kowz, nobody wanting to wish him well. :| Where's the community spirit?

Anyhow, I appreciate the enthusiasm, and I certainly appreciate you loyal members keeping things lively and interesting around here, but there's no need to register interest in becoming a Mod. I'm not looking to enlist right now, and I am more than capable of working out who to choose for the position.

Those who wish to help DKC Atlas grow, I'm preparing a list at the moment (it'll be added to the Who wants to help DKC Atlas? thread soon) which details some site missions you may be able to pitch in with, in addition to the submission of snapshots, glitches, unusual observations and other such Level Info content (which have always been encouraged!).

Even if you aren't a Mod, there are lots of ways to contribute to the Atlas and its forum. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » August 3rd, 2008, 10:55 am

Hopefully everything will go well in the future, Kowz. It honestly has been really nice having you as a moderator for the past few months, but we all understand that it's time for you to move on. I'm just glad you're still part of the forums. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 3rd, 2008, 11:00 am

Don't worry Kowbrainz, as Qyz said, there are many ways to help the Atlas, so moderating just wasn't the right job, no worries, just try other things, you will find the right job.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » August 3rd, 2008, 11:10 am

I didn't think anything would have to be said, as Kowz had already said everything in his note =P

Altough I'm really... how would you say it? *thinks for the right word* ...proud?, may be the right word. You see yourself not in the position of helping the way you would really want with the extra "power" you have, and face it in a really good way! =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » August 3rd, 2008, 11:55 am

I never noticed all these posts until now.
Qyzbud wrote:I'm a little surprised... So many wanting to replace Kowz, nobody wanting to wish him well. :| Where's the community spirit?

Shame on you all! :evil:...

...Can I take his place?

Just kidding. I'd be one of the last people Qyzbud would pick to be a mod, anyway.

Jeez, when Kowbrainz resigned, more people offered to be a mod than when Qyzbud directly asked if anyone wanted to be one. :|
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » August 3rd, 2008, 12:01 pm

He did? :shock:

F*bleep*PIECEOF*bleep*TICANTBELIEVEIF*bleep*DIDNTKNOWI*bleep*I*bleep...*bleep**bleep*

Ahaha no... as I said I don't want to be one and when I joined the mods were already chosen (roughly 5 hours after Jomingo posted this thread, so I don't know "when" exactly they were chosen) =P

And I actually think that's because there are more members in the forum now. Wait till we have 1,000 and you'll see :lol:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 4th, 2008, 6:41 am

Kiddy14, I think the word you were looking for above was "impressed", and if so, I agree. Kowz, you saw that you couldn't do as much as you thought a mod should, and you then voluntarily stepped down. To me, that shows great integrity, and I now see why Qyz picked you for the job in the first place.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Next

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion