Racing Simulations (GTR²/GTL...)

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Racing Simulations (GTR²/GTL...)

Postby Stone » July 19th, 2008, 8:32 am

Anyone here interested in racing simulations?
Next to playing DKC, this is my second way to waste time and it's really fun.
Of course, it takes a while to get used to this (even if you have a racing wheel, which is prefered) and it can be very frustrating in the beginning ;)
My favourite ones are GTR² and GTLegends (both PC only), the first one is based on the 2003/2004 FIA GT championships. The other one is based on a racing series with historical touring cars from the 60's and 70's called the FIA GT/GTC.

Of course, these games are not well-known, but they are much closer to the real thing than any million-seller racer available.
Just the graphics are not as good as in GT5, NfS, but they are good enough I'd say.

Here are a few screenshots from GTR²:
Image Image Image Image Image

The first one that posts the name of this track gets a banana :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Re: Racing Simulations (GTR²/GTL...)

Postby Kiddy14 » July 19th, 2008, 9:43 am

Too bad I've never played the games. But since racing games are like my second passion, then, I'll tel you which ones I've played:

Hot Wheels Turbo Racing (PSOne)
Sega GT 2002 (XBOX)
The Need for Speed (PC)
Need For Speed V: Porsche Unleashed (PSOne)
Midtown Madness (PC)
Midtown Madness 2 (PC)
Midtown Madness 3 (XBOX)

Of course there are many more, but thos are the ones i remember, maybe I'll add more, there is one title in Xbox and one in PS2 that I love but can't remember the names >_<
The Midtown Madness trilogy is still my favorite though, despite not being a racing game, I love cruising in either Chicago (MM), London or San Francisco (MM2) or in Washington DC or Paris (MM3). And trying to get the Paint Jobs in MM3 is really cool, since if your car is too damaged you may not be able to get it, but that's not a thing with the Koegnisegg CC :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Stone » July 19th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Koenigsegg is quite difficult to spell, isn't it? ;)
I've found a video from Top Gear about the CCX here: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ud4M7RGF2s

Last year, the people that created GTR² and GTL joined BMW to create a free game to advertise the new BMW M3.
With driving aids on, it's even possible to drive with keyboard only. It runs on the same engine like GTR²
Of course, a street car BMW drives a lot different than a pure race car but it's nice to drive, too.

This is the official sites page that sums up some mirror downloads of the Demo:
http://www.m3-challenge.com/index.php?id=3&L=1

Edit: I've uploaded two videos of Spa on youtube, this one is recorded using the wheel cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXSZWZnFN4Q
The other one can be found in the link.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » July 20th, 2008, 3:02 am

Does Mario Kart Wii count? ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 20th, 2008, 5:42 am

So is Koenigsegg eh? :oops:

That BMW game looks cool. I'll find a chance to download it. Besides I like the car :D
I've never played those game but I can see it has cool gameplay. Not like Sega GT 2002, where the car would steer a second before I pressed the button =/
Once my friend made an user there, and we where in the Cup Races, and he hit a wall and the exhaust pipe flew away and a sign appeared all the rest of the race and he got in 3rd place xD We didn't have enough money to buy another one so we just removed it and the car always throws gases now =P

I may post some snapshots of MM2 and 3 as well ;)

MM2:
ImageImageImageImage

MM3:
ImageImageImageImage

My favorite car was Cadillac ElDorado, why they removed it in MM3? :/
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Stone » June 13th, 2009, 7:07 am

There is a new simulation from Simbin - looks like Volvo had the same idea as BMW:
Advertising their cars with a free game, called "Volvo - The Game":

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/Pages/default.aspx
The site is a bit confusing...

I'm still doubting that anyone here is a Volvo fan, but the game itself is well done and fun. And it's for free. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 20th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I am a die-hard Grand Turismo fan, because it`s one of the most accurate (and fun) racing simulaters I know, unlike the game Kiddy14 posted screen shots of. NOBODY LIKES TO DRIVE OFF BUILDINGS. :lol:
On Probation

Return to Gaming Discussion