Pokemon Idea

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Pokemon Idea

Postby Jomingo » March 16th, 2008, 11:46 am

I had an idea for the next console pokemon. Instead of having the turnbased colliseum style gameplay, what if it were more like Smash Bros.? It would be more realistic to the pokemon series. Of course, it would be based on HP instead of knockouts. You would do your different attacks like your B attacks in Smash Bros., and you could hold a button to bring up a menu to switch pokemon or use an item. Of course, this would be just the battle aspect, the rest would still be the same.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Pokemon Idea

Postby Kiddy14 » May 5th, 2008, 11:26 am

I remember about a Pokémon semi-sequel or maybe a spin-off. Where you would be the Pokémon instead of the trainer looking for Pokémons. I don't remember the name nor how the gameplay was. But you would usually fight wild pokémons and level-up.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » May 6th, 2008, 11:55 am

Are you thinking of Pokemon Ranger? Never played it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » May 6th, 2008, 2:04 pm

I actually started to worry that the entire Smash Bros. franchise was going to become a Pokémon game... I mean, by the second game in the series there were how many Pokémon involved? That had me scared. No wonder the highly dated looking/feeling Smash Bros. for N64 is still my favourite.

I think this is the last time you'll catch me posting in a Pokémon thread... :?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » May 7th, 2008, 7:25 am

Qyz, is that a snap at Pokemon? (no pun intended). Come on, I thought that someone who likes classic gaming so much would be a former Pokemaniac. I see no reason for anybody to be embarassed about liking the original pokemon up through Gold and Silver.

And about your comment, I always thought the same thing. I think that now that they have AT's, they should get rid of pokeballs altogether, and make several pokemon into AT's. I mean seriously, the way it is in Brawl is that half of these characters are Pokemon, and then the other half is for every single other Nintendo series. Not only that, but they have 4 playable characters, 7 if you count pkmn trainer as 3, and they have a boss.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DKCplayer » July 9th, 2008, 10:41 am

Hmm... that's a decent idea... I always liked playing as Pikachu in SSB on N64...
6400004.gif
6400004.gif (12.75 KiB) Viewed 9954 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Stone » July 9th, 2008, 11:16 pm

I always thought in the original Pokémon games (b/r/y/g/s......), that you are very limited with only 4 moves per Pokémon. With a recover move, something like paralizing/poisoning and a move to increase your attack/defense you only had one attacking move left.
And if was uneffective against your opponent, it was even worse...
On the other side, this limiting increased your involvement in creating a strategy to overcome this...
I like the idea to move the Pokémon yourself, combined with more offensive aand defensive possibilities to choose from.

DKCplayer wrote:I always liked playing as Pikachu in SSB on N64...

The same on my side, the little yellow thing suited my fighting style very well.
I really liked the back kick in air, but as far as i know, this manouver wasn't in SSMB, was it?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Soniccuz » July 10th, 2008, 1:36 pm

But, Pokemon's aspect is in raising a creature. In Smash your fighters are already at full potential. I like the idea of complete control of the pokemon's movement. But, the idea of fighting with a new pokemon that can only use tackle and tail whip in a smash bros setting doesn't sound practical.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Return to Gaming Discussion