Minor DKC hacks & early works in progress

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

Minor DKC hacks & early works in progress

Postby kingwhomp » July 8th, 2008, 3:26 am

This post has been rewritten by Qyzbud.

Here you can share and discuss minor Donkey Kong Country ROM hacks (such as simple object/property modifications, etc.). This thread is also for announcing/commencing more ambitious projects, before they are properly under way. Each major hack is to have its own thread, but for those who are just experimenting or creating simple tweaks, this is the place to share your findings and creations.

original post info:
Subject: post your DKC Hacks here.
Content: this is the place to post your hacks of DKC.
Last edited by Qyzbud on July 23rd, 2008, 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Gave the topic more focus and a clearer purpose.
Newcomer

Re: post your DKC Hacks here.

Postby Simion32 » July 8th, 2008, 5:59 am

Well my hack, DKC Challenge Edition, already has its own thread, so you can watch its progress there.

It doesn't make much sense to have multiple hacks in one thread, since later on it may become confusing which hack you're referring to. For now, I think we should use this topic to index all existing DKC hacks. Besides, there aren't that many DKC hacks, and I doubt there will be many more major ones until we have a decent, non-time-consuming editor.

Even with use of the Japanese DKEdit, it's still quite difficult to hack a full-fledged level because of the very strict seam boundaries. This isn't as bad in Factories, but Jungles are a nightmare to get fully aligned with scenery tiles.

Here's the DKC3 Hack I made back when discovering DKC3's object maps. And I uploaded a video of it on YouTube, HERE.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DKCplayer » July 8th, 2008, 10:52 am

Simion32 wrote:Even with use of the Japanese DKEdit, it's still quite difficult to hack a full-fledged level because of the very strict seam boundaries. This isn't as bad in Factories, but Jungles are a nightmare to get fully aligned with scenery tiles.

Ugh, you're telling me...
And I've got no idea how to change what objects are and where to put them. Same with bananas.
I managed to make the terrain for the first level. Preview:
Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!]000.png
Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!]000.png (17.55 KiB) Viewed 115791 times

Just near the dirt patch with the keg. :P
I need to edit objects via hex editor.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Simion32 » July 8th, 2008, 11:03 am

DKCplayer wrote:I need to edit objects via hex editor.

I've edited all the objects manually up until now using Geiger's SNES9x Debugger; with that method, any changes you make will show up immediately without you having to restart the ROM. You may have to move around a bit to get objects to move/appear, but it's better than that editor. In the editor you can't even see (or read for that matter) what you're editing, and you also can't drag/drop/copy/paste as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 8th, 2008, 11:14 am

For the sake of anyone wanting to try the aforementioned method, it's Geiger's debugger, not Gieger's.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Goe » July 8th, 2008, 7:42 pm

In that winrar file you can see vides of my hacks:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6CXHFY8Y

That videos are titled "DKC Hack" and "dk hack 2". I did them using hex codes and the program i used was translhextion. The first video are 3 hacks of Jungle hijinx, and the 2nd video is a hack of Coral Capers

Well, i'll show you some screenshots of my hacks, if you want to see more, download the file ;)
Attachments
DKC Hack 017_0001.jpg
DKC Hack 017_0001.jpg (22.72 KiB) Viewed 115705 times
dk hack 2 008_0001.jpg
dk hack 2 008_0001.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 115707 times
dk hack 2 004_0001.jpg
dk hack 2 004_0001.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 115708 times
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby kingwhomp » July 10th, 2008, 6:07 am

i am curently making a full-level hack called DKC126 i will post screans later and a ips patch when it is finished
Newcomer

Postby DKCplayer » July 10th, 2008, 10:35 am

Simion32 wrote:I've edited all the objects manually up until now using Geiger's SNES9x Debugger; with that method, any changes you make will show up immediately without you having to restart the ROM. You may have to move around a bit to get objects to move/appear, but it's better than that editor. In the editor you can't even see (or read for that matter) what you're editing, and you also can't drag/drop/copy/paste as far as I'm aware.

Never mind, I know how to edit objects on the DKC editor now. Bad news though, the water levels I can't edit at all.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby BlueTronic » July 10th, 2008, 10:59 am

Me too. Those and Slipside Ride.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » July 11th, 2008, 8:57 am

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N1FM03JZ
An Oil Drum Alley hack. I only did up to the midway barrel though.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » July 11th, 2008, 9:54 am

Looks fun... why not post an IPS patch? Or are you going to complete the level first?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » July 11th, 2008, 9:59 am

I was going to make an IPS Patch after I got to the halfway barrel, but I wanted to make this first.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » July 12th, 2008, 6:46 am

Here's an IPS Patch for the Reptile Rumble, Jungle Hijinx, and Oil Drum Alley hacks.
DKC Hack.ips
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 1575 times

To go directly to the levels, use these codes:
Oil Drum Alley - 7E003E40
Reptile Rumble - 7E003E01

Next I'm making a Stop & Go Station level in a different level, and a Mine Cart Madness hack (I started on it in the IPS patch I just posted)

EDIT:
On the Reptile Rumble hack, I programmed that second bonus to send you back to the beginning so that you can go back and get the ballons that you missed. I don't know what did it, it just happened. You can't exit the level, and I don't know how that happened either. The giant Enguarde token doesn't give you anything, I just felt like replacing the smaller one with it. You can't get all of them, because there's a couple that are at the very top of the level and were supposed to be blast barrels that shot you down after bonuses. Maybe later I'll fix all these things and see if I can get all of them! :mrgreen:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » July 14th, 2008, 7:21 am

Here's a few notes for anyone trying out the hacks:
- You don't have to patch the ROM if you're using ZSNES, it should be able to handle auto-patching.
- All DKC game saves are (or should be) compatible with every other version. Use this to access later levels in a different ROM version.

Kong-Fu wrote:On the Reptile Rumble hack, I programmed that second bonus to send you back to the beginning so that you can go back and get the ballons that you missed. I don't know what did it, it just happened. You can't exit the level, and I don't know how that happened either.
That's caused when using the PAR code that sends you to Reptile Rumble. I was able to get into the bonus, as I wasn't using any PAR code to access the level. Bonuses are counted as levels as well, so it follows that bonus entrance objects are really just a special kind of "level warp". I think that with an ASM hack you could possibly siring together multiple Jungle levels, using the entrance/exit walls to transfer between levels.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » July 15th, 2008, 2:13 am

I figured that out sometime after I made that post. That was the reason I couldn't exit the level, too. Is it possible to make the level send back to the beginning without the game putting all the balloons back?

And I don't get how ZSNES "auto patches" a ROM.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » July 15th, 2008, 6:05 am

For the auto-patching, this is how it works:

Say you have a ROM named "123acb.smc", then rename your patch to "123acb.ips" and place it in the same folder as the ROM. It will then be auto patched in-memory by ZSNES when you load it, without modifying the actual ROM file.

I don't know if it's possible to get the same effect as that PAR code but only in Reptile Rumble. :?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » July 16th, 2008, 5:58 am

Here's an update to the Reptile Rumble hack
Lives in the Mines.ips
(687 Bytes) Downloaded 2353 times

In the beginning of Jungle Hijinx, I put a barrel cannon leading to the end of Ropey Rampage, so now you don't need that code to get to it. Now it's possible to get every life balloon, but it's hard. Especially if you don't know where all of them are like I do. :P I took out the other hacks and edits, like that Jungle Hijinx one that made it impossible to get through Jungle Hijinx without the code to send you to Reptile Rumble. I've changed several other things and it's way better than the other one. :mrgreen:
Snapshots.zip
(238.89 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times
Attachments
Lives in the Mines (U) (V1.0) [!]_00004.png
Lives in the Mines (U) (V1.0) [!]_00004.png (38.89 KiB) Viewed 115275 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: Minor DKC hacks & early works in progress

Postby Mattrizzle » June 16th, 2010, 1:54 am

I don't have any level hacks, but here are some custom palettes I've added to the game.
forest_night.png
forest_night.png (37.62 KiB) Viewed 114835 times
forest_sunset.png
forest_sunset.png (41.4 KiB) Viewed 114835 times
temple_night.png
temple_night.png (30.52 KiB) Viewed 114835 times

These actually don't replace any of the existing palettes. I added a subroutine to the game that loads palettes from a different bank from the normal ones.

You may be wondering where I found space in the ROM. Well, there's actually much more unused space in DKC than meets the eye...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby The Guy » June 16th, 2010, 3:21 am

These are pretty nice palettes.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Mattrizzle » October 17th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Tired of seeing Cranky spout out tips like this...
cranky's_w6_unpatched.png
cranky's_w6_unpatched.png (51.23 KiB) Viewed 114734 times
...as late in the game as Chimp Caverns?

Well, now you don't have to.
cranky's_w6_patched.png
cranky's_w6_patched.png (51.14 KiB) Viewed 114734 times

dkc_cranky_lvlhint_fix.ips
(NOTE: This version is obsolete. The updated version can be found with additional info here.)
With this patch, all of Cranky's unused level hints finally appear in the worlds they should be in. Normally, the problem is that the game doesn't check to see which Cranky's Cabin level you're in. It was as simple as adding this check in, and incrementing the accumulator in order to access a different world's text pointers.

I also removed all of the German text, as well as every trace of the unused Language menu. The new version no longer removes the German text or the Language menu.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Scraps69 » October 18th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Sounds pretty swell. Are you able to include your own text in Cranky's rants and advice?

EDIT: maybe we can integrate this feature into DKC Reloaded unless it'll mess everything up.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » October 19th, 2010, 8:33 am

Scraps69 wrote:EDIT: maybe we can integrate this feature into DKC Reloaded unless it'll mess everything up.

Mattrizzle wrote:I also removed all of the German text, as well as every trace of the unused Language menu.
Warning: This patch shifts text around, so if you apply this to a hack, any changes you've made may be lost!

Nope, Reloaded also uses/overwrites the entire German level name text, courtesy of Blizzard Barrel Blast.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Mattrizzle » October 19th, 2010, 9:03 am

That's currently the only text change in the hack, isn't it? It wouldn't be that hard to reimplement it into the blank space and change Snow Barrel Blast's pointer.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Simion32 » October 19th, 2010, 9:17 am

Oh, I was assuming you actually used that space for the hint patch. Never mind then. :roll:

Yeah, it would be just as easy to modify the text pointer to some nearby free space anyway.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Mattrizzle » October 27th, 2010, 12:29 pm

The hint patch actually frees up space. Most of the text data is shifted by the patch because the German text pointers were removed, and I wanted to close the gaps that they left.

Anyway, I have more patches, four this time! The three spriteview patches are just that--sprite viewers for the North American versions of the three DKC games. These work by replacing the idle animation of the first Kong (Donkey in DKC1, Diddy in DKC2, Dixie in DKC3) with a sequence displaying most sprites in the order they're stored in the tilemap table. I say most instead of all because I programmed the sequences to skip the glitch sprites found at the start of these tables. A sound effect is played each time the first sprite is displayed, so you'll know when you've viewed all of them.

The patches behave very similarly to the glitch Krow111 describes in this thread, except without the crashing.

As for what the dkc_mystery patch does, check out D.K.'s house to find out...

Of course, it's less of a mystery now that I told you that. :roll:

dkc123_spriteview.zip
(70.17 KiB) Downloaded 1579 times

You'll notice something different about the patches this time around; they're in UPS format. My reason for this is that the IPS format is horribly outdated. Advantages of the UPS format are listed in this news post at Romhacking.net. Upset v04, the newest UPS creator/patcher by byuu, can be found here.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Simion32 » October 27th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Ah, very interesting patches Mattrizzle.

As for my response to the mystery:
Spoiler!
Simply replaced the sprite animations with ones from DKC3, correct?

Gave a chuckle or two when I saw what you'd done... it seems so out-of place! 8-)

So we should all be using this UPS format, hm? Seems to have been around for quite a while, but I've never bothered with it due to IPS being so commonplace.

It's looking to be extremely simple to implement, though I haven't logically figured out what all this crazy data-pointer encoding actually does (yeah, over 4GB files... but I'm trying to understand how it works atm)...
EDIT: Ah, I see what it's doing. Writing up BFA implementation now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Krow111 » October 27th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I experimented with the patches. Nothing really unused here, except I found this sprite which comes after the fish shot out of K. Rool blunderbuss:
It might not be unused. It might be an in-game sprite but I can't tell what it is since it's in Diddy's palette.
Attachments
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (U) (V1.0)_00000.png
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (U) (V1.0)_00000.png (22.39 KiB) Viewed 114639 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Mattrizzle » October 29th, 2010, 3:38 am

That is the puddle that appears underneath seaweed-covered K. Rool in Krocodile Kore before he "cleans himself off" and fires said fish.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Kingizor » October 29th, 2010, 8:13 am

Minor hack of Super Donkey Kong 3 (V1.0) (J). Available as an ips or ups patch.

SDK3-ips-ups.zip
(901 Bytes) Downloaded 1555 times

--Insert description below--

Well, it's a glitch caused by hacking, sort of.. Certain objects seem to cause this to happen, although the same objects have a habit of crashing the game or the emulator. However, I think I've got it working correctly, so it shouldn't crash.

This is quite cool though..

by the way, I used spoiler tags because I can't be bothered writing a vague description of what the patch actually does - Edit: I changed my mind and wrote a very brief description. And i think this font is too small, oh well, who cares? - And the uploaded file is zipped because the board won't allow the .ups extension.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2011, 5:03 am

Wow. Excellent work, Mattrizzle! :shock:

I'm curious, how difficult was it? How was it done?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » April 12th, 2011, 7:27 am

Mattrizzle wrote:Hmmm, what could this be?

Your a genius.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Mattrizzle » April 12th, 2011, 10:45 am

There were definitely more than just a few steps involved here. If you don't want to read this, I understand!

One thing I did was optimize several of the tables. I started with the object collision box tables(3B8000-3BA425), removing all duplicates and updating the pointers. This freed up a whopping 0x6C8 bytes, which is way more than enough room to add in the four collision boxes required for Spiny's animation frames.

Second was finding enough space to add in the sprites. A side-by-side comparison with multiple versions of DKC (as well as a close look at the sprite pointer tables) shows that the 1.0 U version has loads of garbage data at the end of banks. The locations have been posted here.

Third was adding the animations. This required relocating the animation pointer table from 3E8572 to one of the newfound empty spaces (17FA3C). This allowed for 0x12A more animation pointers to be added. The code for the animation commands in DKC2 had to be compared with those in DKC(partly by looking at Diddy's animation data from both games). So the animations are near-exact ports.

The primary behavior code pointer tables(3F8177) and object palette data(3C81CC) were also relocated so they could be expanded. Rather than update the hundreds of pointers in the object definitions(35856D), I modified the palette loading subroutines(normally found at 3DF1F0, 3DF23A, and 3DF254) to "correct" pointers falling in the normal range.

I even created a new object function so that object definitions aren't limited to bank $B5.

Most of Spiny's primary behavior code is a duplicate of Gnawty's. However, a modified collision routine (based on the one found at 3FC703) was created, so that rolling into Spiny's backside hurts you. The y-speed and the animation displayed when defeated were also changed. Spiny's vulnerability flags ($11A1) are the same as Zinger's, so attempting to stomp hurts.

As with the animations, Spiny's object definitions (all 45 subtypes!) were mostly ported from DKC2 (DKC2's object definitions begin at 3F2A04, pointers are at 3BE800-3BF843). Here are several of the commands/RAM addresses and their DKC2 equivalents:
Spoiler!
Code: Select all
DKC      DKC2
00 80   =   00 80      End object data
00 81 nn NN  =   00 81 nn NN   Default animation(NNnn)
00 82 aa AA  =   00 83 aa AA   Retrieve object data at address AAaa
00 97 ff FF  =   00 85 ff FF   Orientation
00 88 pp PP  =   00 8D pp PP   Palette pointer(PPpp); In DKC2 this is an index value to the pointer table at 3D5FEE
45 0D   =   00 00   Primary behavior
8D 0B   =   02 00   Layer priority
B9 0D   =   04 00
19 0B   =   06 00   X-coordinate
21 0E   =   08 00
C1 0B   =   0A 00   Y-coordinate
69 0C   =   12 00   Flip (bit 6: X-flip; bit 7: Y-flip)
11 0D   =   1A 00   Current animation frame
ED 0D   =   1C 00
89 0E   =   20 00
F1 0E?   =   24 00   Y-speed?
25 0F   =   26 00   X-speed
8D 0F?   =   2A 00
29 10   =   2E 00
A1 11   =   30 00   Vulnerability flags
D1 10   =   36 00
05 11   =   38 00
39 11?   =   3A 00
6D 11   =   3C 00   Current Animation pointer
0D 13   =   3E 00
75 13   =   42 00   Multipurpose
E9 13   =   46 00   Multipurpose; horizontal movement range for b/f movement behavior
91 14   =   48 00   Multipurpose
C5 14   =   4A 00   Multipurpose
F9 14?   =   4E 00   Multipurpose
2D 15   =   52 00   Movement behavior

Oh, and Spiny isn't the first custom object I created, Neek was. Considering that the rat is little more than a graphic swap of Gnawty, it isn't very interesting.

I'll have to add the RAM addresses to Arnethegreat's RAM map eventually...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby VideoViking » April 12th, 2011, 11:37 am

Could you also add a death SFX for Spiny using the Army death one? See this post.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Mattrizzle » April 12th, 2011, 12:28 pm

That's a nifty list, but Spiny already has a death sound. I was trying to find a close resemblance to the Klomp walking sound that it used in DKC2, so I used #$28, the Millstone Rolling/Expresso Pecking sound. Turns out that it wasn't a good choice, as it blends right in with the Universal Object Hit sound. K. Rool's footstep sounds similar to it, though.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Markster » April 22nd, 2011, 2:55 am

I have expanded Donkey Kong Country to 6.00MB, and it works in SNES 9X, but not in ZSNES, i also tried expanding it to 8.00MB, and it also works in SNES 9X, but still not in ZSNES, want to expand them yourself, well look up Lunar Expand and get a clean Donkey Kong Country USA Version 1.0 ROM file, but im not telling you where to get it, i will get banned, after downloading that open Lunar Expand, if you want to expand the ROM to 6.00MB, then click the "48 MBit ExHiROM (6 MB)" button, and for a 8.00MB ROM, Just click the "64 MBit ExHiROM (8 MB)" button, after that click the "Apply to ROM..." button and locate your ROM, i recommend you copy your original ROM file, and after that you should have a expanded Donkey Kong Country ROM.

Edit :
Go here for more : viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1059&start=0
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » April 22nd, 2011, 6:39 am

Markster, there's already a topic covering DKC ROM expansion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » April 22nd, 2011, 9:53 am

Simion32 wrote:Markster, there's already a topic covering DKC ROM expansion.

I forgot, sorry.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » May 1st, 2011, 1:19 pm

I made my own palette, like Mattrizzle, i made it in a little program called SNES Palette Editor, check it out...

EDIT : Installing it might be kinda hard though, i use a hex editor, i copy the palette code for the one i want to replace, go to the find feature in your hex editor, search for the hex, get the offset, then paste the hack into it, say you replace the brown caves, then paste the blue caves code over the brown caves code, there is a way to get the palettes without replacing any palettes, but its pretty hard, i dont know how to yet, im pretty sure it has something to do with subroutines, ask Mattrizzle.

EDIT 2 : Want to know what it looks like, well look at the attachment picture.
Attachments
Dark Blue Caves Screenshot.png
Dark Blue Caves Screenshot.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 114190 times
Dark Blue Caves.zip
Dark Blue Caves Palette For DKC1
(329 Bytes) Downloaded 1369 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2011, 9:21 am

Cool palette hack Markster. ;)

How to make your Perched Neckys go really nutty:
BerserkPerchedNeckys.ips
Affects all Perched Neckys regardless of original speed.
(152 Bytes) Downloaded 1418 times

Just an interesting ASM and animation hack,
and I thought I'd post it - I did it a while back.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » September 1st, 2011, 3:23 am

New hack I made, this hack adds not one, but two new levels to DKC, enjoy!

----------

DKC Double Level Hack.ips
(5.44 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby KingBrett » October 14th, 2011, 5:56 am

What about mine? This can be used to be like you're inside a volcano. All the cave levels in my hack's Lost World will use that new palette (Except for Necky Nutmare as it is going to be a remake of the original from the GBC port) what do you guys think?
Attachments
Red Cave.PNG
It replaces the Maroon palette in Bouncy Bonanza. It isn't used very often.
Red Cave.PNG (29.44 KiB) Viewed 113792 times
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby HellFire » October 15th, 2011, 7:05 am

It looks very nice, good job. ;)

An idea I had some time ago for a different color of archetype was for the forest one, with old leaves, you know, instead of green leaves on the trees, orange-brown leaves, some changes in the terrain and other aspects should be changed as well so everything looks correct.
Tourist

Postby Scraps69 » November 23rd, 2011, 9:02 pm

[File deleted. I'll repost it later]
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Mattrizzle » February 8th, 2012, 2:20 pm

With inspiration from the object test mode hidden in several of the Mega Man games, as well as the sprite viewer included in the earlier versions of DKCRE, I've decided to remake the sprite viewer patches I did previously. Unlike the previous versions, which replaced the first Kong's standing animation, these will each have their own screens separate from game play.

Here are screenshots of the first DKC's:
"Sprite Test" replaces the dummied-out "Language" option in the File Select menu.

In addition to several of the things that DKCRE's sprite viewer did, this allows you to flip the sprites horizontally and vertically.

It can also display the unused sprites.

EDIT 2/21/2012: DKC Sprite Viewer 2.0 is now complete! The patch can be downloaded here: http://mattrizzle.caffie.net/hacks/DKC Sprite Viewer 2.0.zip
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Mattrizzle » March 3rd, 2012, 6:42 am

DKC2 Sprite Viewer 2.0 is finished as well! This time I replaced the Stereo/Mono option with the Sprite Test, and forced the game to use stereo sound (who still uses mono nowadays, anyway?).

Image Image Image

Here is a link to the patch: DKC2 Sprite Viewer 2.0.zip
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 3rd, 2012, 6:55 am

Wow! Great!
So the cudgel/club are separate from their namesakes, huh? Awesome job. :D
Find anything cool with this?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Mattrizzle » March 3rd, 2012, 9:29 am

Yes. For the characters made up of two layers of sprites, the frames for one layer are usually right before or after those for the other layer. For example, Sprite values 0xBCF to 0xBD9 are the frames of Klubba/Kudgel's swinging animation. 0xBDA to 0xBE4 are the corresponding frames in this animation for the club/cudgel.

The unused frames of Diddy on Rattly I posted at tSR were found using the viewer.

Here's some other things I've pinpointed, but haven't ripped yet:
  • Not sure if this is unused, but there's a bat or crow with the Crocodile Isle map sprites. (Sprite Numbers: 0x2EE-0x30D; Palette Location: FD0C32) EDIT: This is used. Bats fly around K. Rool's Keep.
  • The sharks that bite K. Rool after he falls from The Flying Krock have sprites for 16 different directions, yet only the first of these appears to be used--and the palette is even incorrect! (Sprite Numbers: 0x32A-0x339; Palette Location: FD0C52, but FD0C32 is used by it in the game)
  • Leaves similar to those found in Gusty Glade and Windy Well are present as sprites in the data, but they only appear as part of layer 2 in the former and layer 3 in the latter. (Sprite Numbers: Leaf 1: 0x911-0x918, Leaf 2: 0x919-0x920, Leaf 3: 0x921-0x928; Palette Location: FD6E7A)
  • A small rain cloud appears right after the unused mourning Diddy sprites. (Sprite Numbers: Cloud: 0xA9D-0xAA2, Rain: 0xAA3-0xAA7; Palette Location: FD6242)
  • A breakable wall for an Enchanted Wood level using the Ghostly Grove palette. None of the bonus area entrances in levels of this type are on a completely vertical wall like that. (Sprite Number: 0xBF9; Palette Location: FD79C4)
  • A breakable wall for the right side of a Castle level. At least one breakable wall does appear on the left side of a Castle level, but that uses a different sprite. (Sprite Number: 0xBFC; Palette Location: FD6354)
  • Though the sprite itself isn't unused, the right side slanted breakable wall in Ghostly Grove (0xBFA) has three unused palettes: at FD63CC, FD63EA, and FD6408. The third one is very similar to FD79C4, which is used, but the first two don't match any existing level palettes for the Enchanted Wood levels!
  • The Kremkoin has an unused palette at FD6FA6. The small version of it in the "Select File" screen uses another palette with the exact colors of this unused palette.
  • Similarly, the DK Coin (a.k.a.: Hero Coin) also has an unused palette at FD6FC4. This palette includes red as its first nontransparent index, which none of the final sprites touch (the DK Coin sprites use no more than 15 colors, including transparency). This seems to suggest that the check mark on a collected DK coin was once red.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Markster » April 18th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Awesome hacks! It is so advance.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Next

Return to ROM Hacks