The missing water in Maps (VC release only)

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 3...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

The missing water in Maps (VC release only)

Postby Kiddy14 » May 26th, 2008, 2:29 pm

I've noticed there's this random glitch in the VC version of DKC3:

The missing water Layer in Maps

I don't know, but seems Rareware applied the water layer in some sort of weird manner, see how the actual levels have the water ok? I wonder why it does that.

This is clearly another example of DKC3 being developed rushly and released unfinished =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: The missing water in Maps (VC release only)

Postby Simion32 » May 26th, 2008, 3:40 pm

What the heck? Even while Nintendo made a SNES emulator for the Wii (I really doubt they would ever call it an emulator, though) with access to whatever technical documents they want, PC emulators do a much better job of emulating the SNES without initially having any documentation. Looks like they didn't try too hard when designing the Wii's emulation software! :lol:

I still don't completely understand how Rare combines layers to get transparent water. It behaves as if the layers are AND'ed together (graphical bit-math) so that they end up being seen as a composite layer. For instance, looking at each layer separately in an emulator suggests that said layers are rendered as completely opaque. However, when both layers are on you end up getting a composite result.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » May 26th, 2008, 10:14 pm

I haven't witnessed this myself yet; any idea how/why it happens, Kiddy?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 26th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Simion32 wrote:Looks like they didn't try too hard when designing the Wii's emulation software! :lol: .

This is so true. The NES Classics for the GBA are ran through a slightly modified NES Emulator someone else wrote for the GBA. Go go Nintendo :>
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Kiddy14 » May 27th, 2008, 7:51 am

Simion32 wrote:For instance, looking at each layer separately in an emulator suggests that said layers are rendered as completely opaque.

So... the first layer isn't transparent? I believe it is just a little transparent, since you can see through it and see the other layer. I can be wrong though =)
There are transparent moving layers in the other DKC games, but non of them are animated as this is. The Wii's emulator probably ends up messing it up.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » May 27th, 2008, 9:54 am

Kiddy14 wrote:So... the first layer isn't transparent? I believe it is just a little transparent, since you can see through it and see the other layer.
It does look transparent, but technically each individual layer isn't, since it is combining both layers together when they are rendered on-screen.

Just think of how to get the average of two values (you add together and divide by 2). This is basically what the SNES is doing with the colors - adding each layer together to get an "average" of both layers. The sea-level layer acts as a sort of "alpha mask" even though it is behind the water layer. That's also why the sea-level layer is shades of blue-green - otherwise it wouldn't combine well with the water.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » May 27th, 2008, 10:10 am

Ahh! I get it now, the game combines the color of both layers. And then the dark parts simulate depth. =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 19th, 2008, 1:42 am

Just thought I'd mention this here: This used to happen to me all the time, but now it doesn't. And those grey blocks by K3 are gone too.

So... yeah. Don't know what to make of it. :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » July 19th, 2008, 5:52 pm

That's interesting, Tiptup, do you think it could be either due to a VC system software update, or your progress through the game? The overworld changes somewhat as you access new areas, etc... so maybe it's a result of that. Or a fix that Nintendo have put out...

I've no definite explanation...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » July 20th, 2008, 5:55 am

It might be possible that Wii system updates can also fix the emulation software. Assuming that's part of the firmware, it definitely could. They might begin making "exceptions to the rule" to focus on particular game-specific glitches - they have already done this with Zelda:TP to prevent the twilight hack (the twilight hack is basically a method of making homebrew possible), and I think they may try to fix as many glitches as they can. Not to mention possible hacking vulnerabilities.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby doom1killer123 » July 10th, 2009, 8:29 am

wait what? emulators for PC? man this news has to go to miamoto!
Tourist

Postby Lanky Kong » December 29th, 2009, 6:47 am

The video is suprimed, i can't see that :?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to DKC3 Glitches