Is Enguarde’s Sprite higher resolution in DKC3?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

Is Enguarde’s Sprite higher resolution in DKC3?

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 8th, 2023, 2:48 pm

It looks higher resolution. Not much more I can say about it. It would make sense as Rareware became better and better at taking advantage of the limited resources of the SNES. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Is Enguarde’s Sprite higher resolution in DKC3?

Postby Mattrizzle » January 10th, 2023, 6:24 am

Of the Animal Buddies to which appear in more than one DKC, Enguarde received the fewest changes. Aside from his hurt sprite changing by a few pixels between 1 and 2 (why?), and him gaining the sprites used for the charging up his Superstab attack, his sprites are identical between all three games in the trilogy.

Squawks, the only other Animal Buddy to appear in DKC1, 2, and 3, received changes in all three games. Though his sprites are identical between 2 and 3, the palette of green Squawks in 3 has a very slight red tint to it. For some reason, his hurt sprite was changed to the one Quawks (the blue Squawks in Parrot Chute Panic in 2) uses when he drops you. The hurt sprite from 2 exists in 3, unused. In 3, the palette of Squawks's nut was also changed from his palette to the shared one used by bananas, various barrel icons, and various effect sprites.

For runner-up Rambi, he gained sprites for readying his Supercharge attack, received a slight change to his palette in 2 (his skin color has more of a brownish tint, perhaps to make the grey more realistic), and makes use of a few of his unused horn attack sprites from 1 to make that animation smoother.

These are just cosmetics differences. I'm sure there are more changes to physics.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 10th, 2023, 3:24 pm

Interesting, I’ll look closer. But I think it might’ve been the emulator? :parry:
Also, Mattrizzle, I really like all of your long posts!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » January 10th, 2023, 4:02 pm

Indeed, as I too always enjoy reading such information, Mattrizzle. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mattrizzle » January 11th, 2023, 8:36 am

When it comes to starting a blog with tidbits of information like this, the thought has crossed my mind more than once. Think about a cross between Supper Mario Broth and Sonic 3 Unlocked, but with more of a focus on Donkey Kong (though not completely limited to those games). It could also be an outlet for me to share info regarding development of my ROM hacks, and hacking tutorials. Not sure if I would be able to commit to a regular schedule, nor do I know what platform I'd use (not Twitter), but as they say: quality over quantity.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 11th, 2023, 1:48 pm

It might’ve been that Engiarde was in Tidal Trouble and he looked very green.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » January 11th, 2023, 2:45 pm

Don't worry, Mattrizzle. Take all the time you need, and if you end up changing your mind, that's fine too. I likely won't know how to respond, but you'll still be great.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 16th, 2023, 8:05 am

I was playing poison pond recently and enguarde looked odd there too! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to Donkey Kong Country 3