Play Tearaway Toboggan Without A Toboggan

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 3...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Play Tearaway Toboggan Without A Toboggan

Postby The Kirby » May 8th, 2008, 4:21 am

This trick takes very precise timing and speed, so it'll take a lot of practice to execute correctly:

1. To perform the trick, you must have both Kongs in the party and Kiddy must be the one in control. You'll need to have Kiddy get hit by the Red Buzz so that you'll gain temporary invincibility frames. There are two ways to go about doing this:

- The first is to hit the Red Buzz without getting in the barrel cannon (which I find makes step 2 easier, since it requires less complicated button presses in shorter intervals and gives you more reactionary time for step 2, and the video you see uses this method.) If you attempt this, you might want to try to have Kiddy be as close to the barrel cannon as possible when you get hit, so that you'll get into the barrel in the shortest time (in all honesty, the time you shave off is very negligible, even for this trick, but if you feel that it makes things faster, than by all means, do it.)

- The second is hitting the Red Buzz by shooting out of the barrel cannon. If you attempt this, the barrel must be rotating clockwise, otherwise you'll end up wasting precious frames of invincibility, because the barrel will have to spend time rotating counter-clockwise first before it'll point into the south-west position.

- This third method I just discovered from Quirino26's version of this glitch: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xDQSFtgGQgs
To do this, have Kiddy role off of the ledge without hitting the Red Buzz, position yourself below it, and midair jump to hit the Red Buzz as far to the right as possible. If you do this correctly, you'll regain control of Dixie and she'll jump and miss the barrel cannon. If you perform the trick this way, you can completely skip step 2.

After getting hit, you'll switch control to Dixie and she'll automatically jump into the barrel cannon above the Red Buzz.

You'll need to do the next parts quickly since you'll need to use the invincibility frames that you got from getting hit to pass the Red Buzz.

2. Shoot out of the barrel in the southwest position. By doing this, you'll land back on the starting platform. As soon as you land on the ground, press Y to use your hair attack and press B to jump. Doing these will help negate the leftward momentum that you have from shooting out of the barrel (which is made worse by the fact that this is a slippery level,) and the jump helps cancel out the small bit of lag that you would otherwise have after using your hair attack. This may seem minor, but frames here and there can determine whether you get past the Red Buzz or not.

3. Use the hair attack so that it takes you off of the ledge and past the Red Buzz. Do a midair jump and helicopter float at the apex of the jump and try to land on the very small space between the pit and the toboggan. The next part is hard... you'll need to jump between the automatic barrel and the toboggan without touching them.

If you perform all of these successfully, you'll pass the toboggan and be able to play the level without it. It's even possible to complete the stage without it, and it's not overly difficult to do so, either. If you return to the level either through a bonus level or from a continue barrel, the toboggan will be right below you and you'll be forced to ride in it.

YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RYHHKJfFg
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Re: Play Tearaway Toboggan Without A Toboggan

Postby Kiddy14 » May 9th, 2008, 11:51 am

That glitch is cool. It makes Tearaway Tobbogan another kind of level =P I didn't even noticed how steep the level is in the tobbogan.

By the way, here's a video for all you Snes9x users who can't see it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby The Kirby » May 9th, 2008, 3:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RYHHKJfFg

That's a YouTube video of that ZMV movie so everyone can see it (in addition to a much more in-depth description for performing the glitch.)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » May 10th, 2008, 12:37 am

...that YouTube description of yours is indeed much more in-depth. :P

Kirby, thanks for posting your own version of this maneuver, by the way. It's very well done, and shows the technique very clearly. Maybe you should edit it into your top post, in addition to the ZMV. The one Kiddy linked to was okay, but I really don't like sitting through a 20 second long tacky intro video just to see 5 seconds worth of glitch... and for a tool assisted demonstration, Quirino26's gameplay was very sloppy.

Anyhow, the 'glitch' itself is really cool. I think I'd actually categorise this as a 'trick' when it goes on the site, though... there really is no glitching of any kind involved. Maybe we could call it 'devious play' or something like that.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby The Kirby » May 10th, 2008, 1:13 am

In all honesty, I made my description for my YouTube video before I watched Quirino26's version of performing this trick, and he does it WITHOUT getting in the barrel cannon at all. Better update my description accordingly. :|
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » May 10th, 2008, 11:16 am

...True, his video offers a different (and indeed simpler) approach. I would say Quirino26's method is probably one that could be done more 'reliably' by a skilled player, with plenty of practice. Avoiding the Buzz, then hitting him at just the right point requires incredible precision, but it certainly works.

I've actually made a video of a third method, although it's more-or-less the same as Quirino26's method, just with a duckslide rather than a roll. I personally find this one to be the easiest after practising them all for a few minutes, and I can do my version (without TAS techniques) pretty reliably. This video's main focus is actually on a minor (but strange) bug I discovered by 'discarding' Kiddy back up the slope just past the toboggan.

Here it is.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » May 10th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Lol, I tried to do this for a few hours on end when I tried it a few years ago. I gave up after a while, though. Really frustrating stuff. :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Kiddy14 » May 20th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Hey guys, yesterday I was really bored at my grandparents house so I brought my SNES and tried the trick. It was hard but after 1 hour and a half I managed to take Dixie between the Barrel and the Sled! The hard part was that, I didn't have much trouble taking Kiddy to hit behind the Buzz with Quirino26's tecnique, I tried Qyzbud and Kirby's but no success... :| So I tried Quirino's and I did it! I even recorded a video if you guys wanna proof =P I don't think so, I was just recording so that I can say I did it anytime xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » May 20th, 2008, 8:24 pm

I must admit, mine is a strange way to do it. I only posted the 'duckslide' variation to show that it could be done without roll-jumping. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC3 Glitches