DKC2 is a dark game. What scared you most about it?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

DKC2 is a dark game. What scared you most about it?

Postby dixietrixie414 » June 26th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Since I couldn't fit all of the question on the subject line, I will say it here. Since I think we all know that DKC2 is the darkest and scariest game out of the DKC games, I think it's fair to ask- what was scariest thing about it to you and why? Additional question- if you had kremlings that scared you, who scared you the most and why?

I'll go first. For the first question, I could honestly say that there are so many to choose from, but I'll narrow it down to three choices. For me, I think what scared me most overall was either falling in the lava and hearing that death music play, being chased by a Klobber, or experience the after effects of the end level target glitch in Barrel Bayou (the glitch where you are riding Rambi at the end of the level and you hit the target with his horn and trigger a discolored Dixie or Diddy floating backwards endlessly in the silence. It's creepy AF). The reasoning behind the first one is inexplicable. I was just very afraid of the death music in the lava levels along with the sound effects made when you fall into the lava *shudder*. The second one's reasoning will be explained enough when I explain the most feared kremling to me, and the third one's reasoning is pretty self-explanatory. I would argue that its after effects are scarier than the castle crush glitch since it's scarier in a less obvious, less over the top way.

My answer to the second question is Klobber hands down. I ask this bonus question to see if anyone can relate and just to see what you guys feared in general, but yes...Klobber. Honestly, if you really really think about it, you'd realize that Klobber is probably one of the most monstrous kremlings there is. I hate the way his eyes practically pop out of his eye sockets in this way that makes him look very obsessive and makes him look like he could steal your soul or something. It doesn't help that he chases you and that when you least expect it, he can push you off an edge into the abyss or what have you and goes down with you. He's pretty much a stalker. He. Freaks. Me. Out. The noises he makes as he's chasing you make it worse. When I was a kid, I would imagine him chasing me in my home non-stop, and at night, I would imagine him waiting for me on the stairs, to "bump" and control me. I would have some scary dreams invovling him. As I got older, my childhood fear kind of "went away" since I couldn't play DKC2 for a long while because of my Super Nintendo not working, but I know I had and still have nightmares involving serial killers stalking me. Although I wouldn't die in the dreams, I could never escape from them, which in a way is worse. And in my eyes, Klobber is not that much different from a stalking serial killer...! :shakehead:

Hope this post resonated with you guys, and I hope to hear from all of you!
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Re: DKC2 is a dark game. What scared you most about it?

Postby PegasusMan » July 2nd, 2018, 1:42 pm

I agree with you on the death music, dixietrixie. I vividly remember moments when I was very young playing DKC2 very late during the night with nothing but the TV screen lighting up the room and then hearing this short jingle indicating death. While I rather admire the lava bubbling sound effect heard when you lose a life in lava, I can see where your fears originate. Speaking of death music, Saestrol posted a video of the most horrifying death music in DKC2; it is the death music against K. Rool. I'll link it on this post if you're interested in lowering your body temperature by a few degrees in a matter of seconds... :krool:

While I cannot name a specific Kremling that I was scared of (Kackle initially comes to my mind, but I was very fascinated by him, not frightened), I did have my fair share of scares. The thing that scared the living daylights out of me was the game over screen. I was quite unknowledgeable about saving the game; I thought that a game over meant, well, game over. I believed that my progress was completely wiped and I had to restart from 0% progress :shakehead: . In addition to this sad and scary thought, the game over screen had a coloring to it that... got on my nerves, to say the least. First of all, I was shocked to see that Diddy and Dixie were in a prison cell. Second of all, the transition from the normal coloring to the filter leaving only red creeped me out the most.

Thanks for sharing your scares, dixietrixie!

Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8

Postby dixietrixie414 » November 26th, 2018, 8:03 am

Sorry I haven't replied. Been so busy! Thanks for sharing too!

Yeah Kackle is very interesting, not scary. I'm still surprised Klobber isn't scary to people though. K. Rool isn't that scary either to be honest, but I could see how the theme may be scary to some!

The game over screen was messed up, but not as messed up as the first game's!
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Postby PegasusMan » November 26th, 2018, 8:33 am

I believe DKC's game over screen is so horrifying due to the fact that Donkey and Diddy are right in the player's face... DKC2 and DKC3 have game over screens that provide a little more... breathing room to say the least.
Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8

Postby Super Luigi! » November 26th, 2018, 11:07 am

Klobber isn't scary, but I have no idea how Rare created his sound effects. The DKC trilogy game over screens seem scarier as an adult, since they project implications.

As for myself, I don't know if I find anything from DKC2 scary. Although the plot is intense, I don't find it frightening.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2