Donkey Kong Country - Rock Hard Edition and Expert Edition

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

Donkey Kong Country - Rock Hard Edition and Expert Edition

Postby _Q_ » September 15th, 2018, 9:17 am

Hi, folks. I recently put together two fairly simple hacks for Donkey Kong Country, both of which increase the difficulty. Both hacks should be applied to an unheadered DKC US v1.0 ROM.

- Donkey Kong Country - Rock Hard Edition - This hack removes the Star Barrels that act as checkpoints
- Donkey Kong Country - Expert Edition - This removes the Star Barrels, DK Barrels, and Warp Barrels

I played through both hacks on a SNES, and there don't seem to be any bugs, but please let me know if you find any. Also, if anyone out there is interested in designing a custom title screen, please let me know.

Enjoy, and good luck!
_Q_
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Re: Donkey Kong Country - Rock Hard Edition and Expert Editi

Postby rainbowsprinklez » September 19th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Looks cool! Question. Did you remove the DK barrels or just make them empty?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby _Q_ » September 20th, 2018, 7:02 am

@rainbowsprinklez: Thanks for your comment! In the Expert Edition, I removed the original DK Barrels completely, so you won't see them at all. However, if a DK Barrel was buried underground, you may see a hole in the ground where it could normally be found. I may update the terrain in a future update, but I decided to leave it as is for now. Also, I added new DK Barrels to the beginning of each level to ensure you get to play through each level with both Kongs. You will automatically break the barrel immediately after spawning or during the automatic running animation that happens after you spawn.
_Q_
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 11th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Cool. If I may make a suggestion, in the object maps for levels, change all the object codes of 0x9afd (dk barrel caches) to 0x9a6b (banana bunch caches). I'm assuming you know how to read object maps, as everything you did could be accomplished by object map editing.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Return to ROM Hacks