DKCTF for Switch

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

DKCTF for Switch

Postby OneOf99 » January 12th, 2018, 1:13 am

Yep, DKC Tropical Freeze has been announced for the Nintendo Switch! You can now play as Funky Kong, who has 5 hearts, a double jump, and more.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/stat ... 7766650881

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Re: DKCTF for Switch

Postby MatiZ » January 12th, 2018, 5:04 am

That's cool!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby Super Luigi! » January 15th, 2018, 8:53 am

I like how he's the exact opposite of Cranky, at least in terms of accessibility. Funky is probably still working the shops, but if he isn't, will someone such as Swanky or Kiddy appear? We shall certainly see soon enough.

Also, all Kongs seem to have three hearts now, while Funky has five. While that is nice, the extra health likely won't save anyone from the plethora of bottomless pits.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 28th, 2018, 3:34 pm

This is awesome. It's good to see Nintendo doing something smart and porting the game to a more successful console for all to enjoy.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby PegasusMan » February 1st, 2018, 10:37 am

Rejoice Mario Kart Wii lovers, you can now play as your favorite racer ;) .

As for who will be running the shops, I hope Swanky makes a reappearance. It'll be nice to see Retro Studio's take on Swanky Kong. :swanky:
Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8

Postby OneOf99 » February 2nd, 2018, 4:35 am

I think Funky will still run the shops
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby JadeRose » March 10th, 2018, 3:40 am

That's it, I'm getting a switch. I need this. Returns was fun, and I still haven't played Tropical Freeze. Funky's one of my favorites.
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby Super Luigi! » May 2nd, 2018, 10:24 am

Here's GameXplain's review.

Andre lavishes much praise by describing the game with sentences like, "Tropical Freeze is simply a marvel of 2D game design--as if the entire history of the sidescrolling genre has been leading up to this one moment." Although I strongly disagree, I'm glad that he also finds the bonus rooms bland and repetitive. Animal Buddies also didn't seem important to him, but why would they? Rambi only appeared three times, if I remember correctly. In any case, this game costs around $60, and the original Wii U version is missing from the eShop.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby OneOf99 » May 3rd, 2018, 7:23 am

Super Luigi! wrote:Here's GameXplain's review.
(link omitted for concise quote)

Andre lavishes much praise by describing the game with sentences like, "Tropical Freeze is simply a marvel of 2D game design--as if the entire history of the sidescrolling genre has been leading up to this one moment." Although I strongly disagree, I'm glad that he also finds the bonus rooms bland and repetitive. Animal Buddies also didn't seem important to him, but why would they? Rambi only appeared three times, if I remember correctly. In any case, this game costs around $60, and the original Wii U version is missing from the eShop.

I agree on the bonus rooms, although I can't understand why someone wouldn't like the level design in the game the bonus rooms were just atrocious. I loved the SNES bonus rooms because they were all different and designed with a purpose. As for the $60 price tag... yeah what the heck nintendo. I bought the Wii U version for 20 bucks. Maybe they are trying to bank on this game more? I mean I already thought Nintendo stopped caring about DKC, but the switch port has me hoping we will see more.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby the_kong_br » May 13th, 2018, 2:22 am

Super Luigi! wrote:I like how he's the exact opposite of Cranky, at least in terms of accessibility. Funky is probably still working the shops, but if he isn't, will someone such as Swanky or Kiddy appear? We shall certainly see soon enough.

Also, all Kongs seem to have three hearts now, while Funky has five. While that is nice, the extra health likely won't save anyone from the plethora of bottomless pits.

The birds Squawks and Tawks are in the store working for Funky.

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Super Luigi! » May 15th, 2018, 6:20 am

It looks like the items have upgraded as well. Tawks is also fairly interesting.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze