A Hidden Homage

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 3 port for GBA.

A Hidden Homage

Postby Tailikku » December 19th, 2017, 9:28 am

I wish that was the name of a level, but I litteraly mean that there is an homage that's been hiding in plain sight in this port. Remember the ridiculously hard Funky's Rentals minigame?

Well as it turns out, this is the homage. But what is it to? Well one of GameDave's episodes actually revealed it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixNbX_dy_M

Yeah, as it turns out, Rare referenced one of their older games in this port, so you almost have two games for the price of one. :nicework:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Re: A Hidden Homage

Postby Super Luigi! » December 20th, 2017, 6:29 am

I had heard about this before, but thanks for sharing, esteemed Tailikku! Now I definitely know where these minigames originated!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Blaziken257 » December 20th, 2017, 4:25 pm

I've known this for about a year and a half now, but I still find this fascinating nonetheless. It's worth noting that in the ROM, the internal names for the Funky mini-games are referred to as Cobra Tracks (e.g. Cobra Track 0, Cobra Track 1, etc., all the way up to Cobra Track 4), which is an obvious reference to Cobra Triangle (see here: https://tcrf.net/Donkey_Kong_Country_3: ... Debug_text )

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Rare recycled stages from an old NES game for the mini-games in DKC3... it makes me wonder if the other mini-games in the DKC games for GBA were recycled from some other game. For example, are Funky's Gyrocopter mini-games from DKC2 GBA original or recycled?

(By the way, I played Cobra Triangle for a brief period of time and found it really hard! Like in the video, I also struggled with the level where you have to rescue the Kongs nameless people from the Kremlings enemy boats. It's about as hard as other NES games of Rare's like Battletoads! This is in part due to limited lives and continues...)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Gaz » February 22nd, 2018, 5:31 am

I can't believe it took us this long to realize that. Cobra Triangle must be a pretty obscure title if we didn't notice this until very recently.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Return to DKC3 Port (GBA)