Toad Sometimes writes (DKC) music

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Toad Sometimes writes (DKC) music

Postby thetoad11 » June 7th, 2016, 12:10 am

So as I've been coming a little more out of my shell here, making myself a little known for my musical works, I thought maybe I'd start a topic dedicated to my music. I mean, I started really existing musically here when I brought up my DKC mashups, and then I really started to appear when I started trying to write for DKC4, but I feel like I wanna share my music in a way that's more centered on me and my composing. You'll be seeing my work in other areas here, perhaps even in places you wouldn't expect, but I thought i'd still like to have myself a main source of sharing instead of tacking my skills on to someone else's project every time I want to share what I've made. I have a channel on youtube which holds my more open compositions, but here I'll try and keep myself limited to what I write using the DKC trilogy samples.

I will eventually edit this post so it has the stuff I created for DKC4.

For now, though, I have this new tune that I worked on and off with for a few weeks. I was going for the more electronic feel of some of the DKC2 tunes like Disco Train or Stickerbrush Symphony.

http://picosong.com/Z2ta/ - Synthetic Serenade
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Re: Toad Sometimes writes (DKC) music

Postby Qyzbud » June 7th, 2016, 12:14 pm

It's good to see a thetoad11 composition topic! Your work is certainly abundant and enjoyable enough to warrant having its own home here. :)

Synthetic Serenade sounds great! The sound at 0:21 (a Life in the Mines sample?) doesn't quite feel harmonious, but it's more appealing later on, and everything else is really nice.

I'm happy to know we'll have a place to listen to your body of DKC-inspired music, and a dedicated topic to give you feedback. Keep it up! :banana:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby thetoad11 » June 7th, 2016, 1:29 pm

The Life in the mines sounds you're referring to isn't actually a straight rip of the sample. I used a particular voice instrument (DKC1's synth voice, I believe) and used a pitch bend to make that particular effect. I can see what you mean about it not being harmonious, though. I guess I was a little preoccupied with the artificial feeling I was aiming for to notice that it was off putting. I might some day go back in and remove it or change it somehow.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I was getting tired of hitching on to the DKC4 topic every time I wrote something since there's no guarantee that they were gonna use it anyway, so I figured this made more sense.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby SocialGhost » June 8th, 2016, 7:26 am

Really liked this! There's definately a David Wise feel to it.
I can fully get behind the Stickerbrush Symphony vibe in this, as for the instruments I thought the bassline was very reminiscent to what David often tend to use, plus I really liked the crisp snare drum !

I'm relatively new to this community, but I have played a demo for the DKC4 - The Kongs Returned, is that the one you composed music for ?
Tourist
Bananas received 17

Postby thetoad11 » June 8th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Thank you very much, I'm honoured to be compared to David Wise, he's one of my musical idols. All of the instruments except for the percussion, the pad I used for the chords, and the reverse cymbal are DKC Trilogy samples, so to say that the bassline is reminiscent of what David used to use is very accurate, since it's one of the exact instruments he used. The crispness of the drum is because it isn't a DKC trilogy instrument, but actually another percussion soundfont I often use.

If you played the latest demo, I believe the songs used in Twilight Temple and Bullfrog Bog are my work, although I'd have to double check on Bullfrog Bog.

EDIT: I was right, Twilight Temple uses my "Call of the Jungle" and Bullfrog Bog uses my "Wanderings In the Swamp"
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Ninni973 » September 22nd, 2016, 6:43 am

Sorry for the bump, but hey, thetoad11, It's been a really long time since you've composed something. Why not compose something really cool, like a boss battle theme, an alternative to Crocodile Cacophony, or maybe even a dystopian theme. Oh, and if you want, you can put download links for the MIDI files after you compose them. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby thetoad11 » September 22nd, 2016, 10:59 am

Sorry, I've been really busy with work and (as much as I hate to say it) my relationship, it hasn't left a lot of time for me to work on music, and even when I do have time, I don't feel very inspired. I have been working on a tune, but it's not DKC related, so it won't be posted here, but on my youtube channel, instead. It's note done, yet, though.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Super Luigi! » September 22nd, 2016, 11:56 pm

Do not worry, dear thetoad11. Please focus on what is important in your life. As you may have guessed by now, the members of the DKC Atlas are very patient and understanding.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby thetoad11 » September 23rd, 2016, 4:07 am

Thank you for your understanding. If it's any consolation, my boyfriend is quite musically inclined as well, so as a team I might be able to produce better music and more often than before, once I manage to find the time and the inspiration again.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Super Luigi! » September 23rd, 2016, 6:38 am

I wish the two of you the best, milady/good sir. May you both succeed greatly and continue to be heroes to children everywhere!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby thetoad11 » September 24th, 2016, 5:53 am

"I wish the two of you the best, milady/good sir." Thanks, quick side note, though...

I'm male.

But yes, I actually started a song today, it might turn out to be something good, it's got some jungle vibes to it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Super Luigi! » September 24th, 2016, 7:07 am

That's why I said milady/good sir, since I didn't know if you were female or male.

Anyway, your progress sounds rather nice, and I wish you the best. Those jungle vibes are certainly important.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby thetoad11 » July 5th, 2017, 12:26 pm

It's been months and my free time has reached an all time low, and even as such I've had a hard time finding the music when I am free, but today I made some progress on both a DKCesque tune and an original style tune, so maybe be on the look out for that, because I might actually be able to figure something out and get something done.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Ninni973 » July 6th, 2017, 5:24 am

Alright, I wish you the best of luck, but can I suggest that you release a MIDI version of the songs along with the mp3s for each one you compose from now on? It'll be great for me (as well as others here) to remix your songs in different soundfonts. :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby thetoad11 » July 11th, 2017, 1:41 am

midi creation is a lot of extra work on my end, not particularly worth it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks