Soundtrack Restoration

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Soundtrack Restoration

Postby BlueTronic » February 24th, 2016, 2:57 am

Some of you may have heard about my DKC Soundfonts, which consisted of recreating the instruments in the series from the raw samples from the game. That led to me finding a lot of the original samples, which means that one could recreate the soundtrack in the full quality it was intended.
I used SPCTool to rip all the samples as well as analyze what's going on in the soundtrack. It really is an amazing piece of software!

All the project files here in the Dropbox Hub
Restored Tracks are posted here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0keg05vl6xwt ... F80Ya?dl=0
Updates are posted here: http://twitter.com/princesamlet
Videos are posted here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RcS2cCBBsP
If you're interested in the geekery that goes into making these, live streams are recorded here: https://www.twitch.tv/blue_tronic

Current Known Sources:
Korg Wavestation
Roland R-8 (DKC1 Percussion)
Roland U-220
Roland L-CD701-4
Ensoniq CDR 1-4
Korg M-1
Zero-G: Funky Elements (Funky's Drumloop)

Many sound effects, such as monkey and baddie sounds, were recorded by Rare and have no source, therefore they cannot be restored and the game sample will have to do
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: Audio Sample Sources

Postby MatiZ » February 24th, 2016, 6:02 am

Have you tried "PluckyAirString" from Wavestation? I think it's the same sound sample from Aquatic Ambience.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby BlueTronic » February 24th, 2016, 11:39 am

Actually that's a combination of Pluck3, PWM Strings, and Blown Bottle. All from DKC2

Also, I've just found most of the DKC1 drums as sampled from the Roland R-8 and the Bayou Boogie drums from the Roland CR-78
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Bonus Room Blitz & Stickerbush Symphony Restored

Postby BlueTronic » December 17th, 2016, 4:52 pm

I was able to gather enough the samples to restore Bonus Room Blitz (except the monkey sounds because Rare recorded those themselves)

I was also able to mostly restore Stickerbush Symphony, with some filler samples. I also recreated some of the synths myself so it's not totally accurate.
Attachments
Bonus Room Blitz restored.mp3
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 14334 times
Stickerbrush Symphony restored.mp3
(3.93 MiB) Downloaded 14402 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby MatiZ » December 17th, 2016, 11:15 pm

Sounds really HD, like raw files before converting to 16-bit! I wonder if David Wise still has them.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Re: Soundtrack Restoration

Postby MichaelFrank » December 18th, 2016, 4:31 am

Amazing job on this, I'm seriously impressed. Do you happen to know where the acoustic bass is from? (The Ensoniq CDRs?) If you have a list of where most of the DKC samples are from I'd love to see it.

Also, how did you handle the loop points with those samples in the dropbox folder?

Nice work!
Newcomer

Postby BlueTronic » December 21st, 2016, 8:44 am

MichaelFrank wrote:Amazing job on this, I'm seriously impressed. Do you happen to know where the acoustic bass is from? (The Ensoniq CDRs?) If you have a list of where most of the DKC samples are from I'd love to see it.

The list is on the first post labeled "Current Known Sources." The Acoustic Bass happens to be from the Roland U-20

Also, how did you handle the loop points with those samples in the dropbox folder?

Nice work!

I used SPCTool to rip the samples, and it rips them with the loop points straight from the game intact! I really should include a shoutout to SPCTool in the original post. It gives you a detailed view of everything that's going on in the soundtrack. It's an amazing tool and the only reason this project ever existed in the first place.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » December 21st, 2016, 8:47 am

MatiZ wrote:Sounds really HD, like raw files before converting to 16-bit! I wonder if David Wise still has them.

I don't think he does but somebody in charge of Rareware or Playtonic may still have an archive of all the project files. That's where I'd start
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby MichaelFrank » December 26th, 2016, 4:33 pm

BlueTronic wrote:I used SPCTool to rip the samples, and it rips them with the loop points straight from the game intact! I really should include a shoutout to SPCTool in the original post. It gives you a detailed view of everything that's going on in the soundtrack. It's an amazing tool and the only reason this project ever existed in the first place.

Oh cool, thanks. So in the remade tracks you used the SNES samples, or were they ripped ones from the sound modules (eg. the U-20)? The samples in the Dropbox *sound* higher quality to me than the SNES samples so that's why I was wondering - maybe you just copied and pasted the loop point settings from SPCTool onto the module samples in a sampler VST?

Also, for even more accuracy perhaps you can get ahold of a real Roland Alpha Juno 2 synth and try programming similar patches you used in the Stickerbush remake - that's what Dave Wise used for all his synthesizer sounds back then (along with sampling different resonances and filter cutoff settings for the same 'note' to make Wavestation-like sequences with the SNES).
A software solution might be u-he Diva which apparently is a very solid emulation of a Juno 2 (among other synths) and/or maybe ReDominator.
Newcomer

Postby riki2321gamer » December 27th, 2016, 12:51 am

I am loving these songs! They sound like the original but more HD! Also the beginning of stickerbrush symphony is weird, I don't know why, but keep up the great job!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Lanky Kong » December 29th, 2016, 9:14 am

Anyone can find a way to restore and to a Pre-Console state?

These are my favourite tracks, so I would please to like to hear them... :P
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby BlueTronic » December 30th, 2016, 9:29 am

Lanky Kong wrote:Anyone can find a way to restore and to a Pre-Console state?

These are my favourite tracks, so I would please to like to hear them... :P

Well here's Fear Factory! (Not totally restored yet) https://www.dropbox.com/s/5znk51n5i80bj ... y.mp3?dl=0
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Lanky Kong » December 31st, 2016, 11:04 am

BlueTronic wrote:
Well here's Fear Factory! (Not totally restored yet) https://www.dropbox.com/s/5znk51n5i80bj ... y.mp3?dl=0

Sounds pretty cool, man! I like the 'effect' of the alarm siren thing that was intended before converted into SNES bits.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Phyreburnz » December 31st, 2016, 1:27 pm

Holy crap!!! This is AMAZING!!!! These sound soooooo freaking awesome!!!!! I just CAN'T wait to hear more!!!!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby BlueTronic » December 31st, 2016, 3:23 pm

Yeah Fear Factory came out pretty amazing, especially for having a lot of missing samples. I had to totally improvise that baseline but it came out really nice despite being completely different from the original. I don't quite have enough samples to recreate Krook's March. I should be able to when I can afford to purchase the Ensoniq CDR Library.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby MichaelFrank » January 2nd, 2017, 3:58 pm

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the samples for the U-20? I can't find any source for it online other than your FLP projects.

I know there's the Korg Legacy VSTs other than that.

I have a real Ensoniq TS-10 by the way if you need any recordings or reference!

Also, that Fear Factory sounds amazing! For the bassline, I know there's a harp in there as one of the samples (from the Korg Wavestation/M1) - I have it transcribed somewhere if you want to take a look.
Newcomer

Postby BlueTronic » January 3rd, 2017, 12:52 am

MichaelFrank wrote:If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the samples for the U-20? I can't find any source for it online other than your FLP projects.

I found them in some free GM soundfonts such as General User GS, OmegaGMGS2, and SMG, and also these samples for the drums.

I know there's the Korg Legacy VSTs other than that.

I have a real Ensoniq TS-10 by the way if you need any recordings or reference!

That may yield some results. Companies often keep some samples the same through the years. You can try to match them to samples I have in the dropbox (I just load them into FLStudio and play them side by side to see if they sound similar). You might try the harp, pizzicato, or the elusive trombone. Thanks!

Also, that Fear Factory sounds amazing! For the bassline, I know there's a harp in there as one of the samples (from the Korg Wavestation/M1) - I have it transcribed somewhere if you want to take a look.

Thanks! There's that siren sound (included), a single cycle waveform from some flute, the harp, and a synth bass (recreated in Sytrus).

I actually have the Wavestation harp included in the Remasters & Origins folder. It's the DKC2 harp. Still looking for the DKC harp :headache:
It might be in that TS-10 of yours. I heard it in a video

EDIT: I just heard what might be Guitar Lead (DKC2) and Strings castle in a TS-10 video!
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby MichaelFrank » January 5th, 2017, 2:44 am

By the way, I'm going to be seeing Dave Wise at MAGFest, if there's any burning questions you want me to ask in person! I can't guarantee I'll be able to ask much though as I'm sure he's going to be mobbed by fans. :swanky:

Because of that too it will take a week or so before I can check the patches on the TS10...
For the guitar lead, I know there's "Monster Lead" on the TS10 which was the guitar lead used in the Killer Instinct arcade and the Killer Cuts CD - definitely not the one used for DKC2, but maybe there's a different distorted guitar on there that matches.
Newcomer

Postby MatiZ » January 5th, 2017, 6:49 am

MichaelFrank wrote:By the way, I'm going to be seeing Dave Wise at MAGFest, if there's any burning questions you want me to ask in person!

I envy you. Can you ask him if he still has raw music files from DKC and beta or unreleased music from other games that he cancelled?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby BlueTronic » January 5th, 2017, 7:42 am

Gimme dat signature :thumbs:

Man I just wanna have a casual conversation with him one day about music and shImaget
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » January 19th, 2017, 1:41 am

Drop a request and I'll see if I have the samples for it
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby reversalmushroom » January 20th, 2017, 10:43 am

My DKC3 favorites:

1. Dixie Beat
2. Bonus Time
3. Big Boss Blues
4. Wrinkly 64

Other DKC3 songs I like:

1. Nuts and Bolts
2. Enchanted Riverbank
3. Stilt Village
4. Brothers Bear
5. Crazy Calypso

What's that K. Roolenstein theme robot sound from?

EDIT: I think you should edit your initial post to add any songs you subsequently make to have them all in 1 place.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby BlueTronic » January 20th, 2017, 11:07 am

reversalmushroom wrote:What's that K. Roolenstein theme robot sound from?

I don't know the source but it's an electric guitar slide
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Phyreburnz » January 21st, 2017, 1:15 pm

I'm just so impressed with your tracks, Blue Tronic! I was wondering if you've got the samples to recreate Ice Cave Chant :)

No matter what, I'll be anxiously awaiting your next restoration!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby reversalmushroom » January 25th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Oh, and Snakey chantey and Crocodile Cacophony are 2 DKC2 songs I love.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2017, 1:11 pm

I'm afraid I'm missing a lot of DKC2 samples, but I hope you won't be too disappointed because today, I was able to restore the beloved Aquatic Ambience. Enjoy!

I do believe I have all the samples for Ice Cave Chant. That'll be next!
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby MichaelFrank » March 16th, 2017, 1:10 pm

BlueTronic wrote:I'm afraid I'm missing a lot of DKC2 samples, but I hope you won't be too disappointed because today, I was able to restore the beloved Aquatic Ambience. Enjoy!

I do believe I have all the samples for Ice Cave Chant. That'll be next!

Wow it sounds amazing; really good job!

Edit: For DKC2 it might be possible Dave Wise sampled some of his own live instrument playing; he told me he did a lot of that for Diddy Kong Racing.
Newcomer

Postby BlueTronic » April 5th, 2017, 3:37 am

Ice Cave Chant fully restored

If anyone has a Windows computer they can download rarespc and convert the DKC2 soundtrack to MIDI that would be super helpful.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Phyreburnz » April 7th, 2017, 7:46 am

Wow! That sounds so awesome!!! These are just so great. I cannot wait to see what's next.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 12th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Sounds absolutely amazing. Great job!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby witapepsi » May 13th, 2017, 11:13 pm

This is honestly making my entire year! Finding instrument sources for songs, especially for those that had to be compressed to fit in a limited amount of space is the whole reason why I've been so invested in video game music. I've been searching for this type of stuff ever since I was in middle school, about 2004/2005. Ultimately focused on the Donkey Kong Country, Sonic Adventure 2, and Phantasy Star Online soundtracks.
I honestly started tearing up a bit when I heard the fill-in in Stickerbrush Symphony, I can't wait to hear it fully restored!

Also, the link for Gangplank Galleon is broken :(
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby OrangeC » May 16th, 2017, 12:29 pm

This thread is my dream!!

by the way hope gangplank galleon is reuploaded. :D
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » May 17th, 2017, 9:23 am

I removed Gangplank Galleon because it wasn't fully restored and needs to be redone. I guess that will be my next track.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby OrangeC » May 19th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I can't wait for it!!

Other request from DKC1 id like

Jungle groove
Life in the mines
Northern hemipsheres
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Ninni973 » May 21st, 2017, 7:57 am

Epic! You did a great job on that track. :thumbs: Can you do Mining Melancholy next, please? That's my favorite DKC2 track next to Bramble Blast/Stickerbrush Symphony, which you've already did.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby OrangeC » May 21st, 2017, 8:06 am

YES!! sounds epic!!

Thanks!
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » May 21st, 2017, 2:39 pm

Ninni973 wrote:Epic! You did a great job on that track. :thumbs: Can you do Mining Melancholy next, please? That's my favorite DKC2 track next to Bramble Blast/Stickerbrush Symphony, which you've already did.

I can't do DKC2 tracks until someone with a Windows computer runs RareSPC and converts the DKC2 soundtrack to MIDI. I need the direct midi data from the game in order to tell the samples what to play

Stickerbrush Symphony was my attempt to use fanmade MIDIs and it didn't work out so well :p
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Ninni973 » May 21st, 2017, 2:49 pm

Well, in that case, I'll give you a ripped MIDI using VGMTrans. I think it will help. Let me know if you have problems with it. :thumbs:

Mining Melancholy.mid
(55.25 KiB) Downloaded 13987 times
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby OrangeC » May 21st, 2017, 8:53 pm

Okay it seems my spctool windows version .07r52, does not let me export to a midi file. s yeah maybe vgmtrans might be useful, however, i heard converting a spc to midi is pretty dogdgy and that it exports garbage values and doesn't keep the original information accuratley. (ahem fear factory a mess) :D
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Kingizor » May 21st, 2017, 11:53 pm

VGMTrans claims to be the successor of RareSPC and a number of other tools, but I'm not able to run it and I'm not sure whether it'd produce substantially different than RareSPC.

Stickerbush Symphony, Bad Bird Rag and Steel Drum Rhumba produced various warnings complaining about pitch either being out of range or being unable to calculate it.
Attachments
rarespc-midi-output.zip
(526.35 KiB) Downloaded 13757 times
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby BlueTronic » May 21st, 2017, 11:55 pm

Ninni973 wrote:Well, in that case, I'll give you a ripped MIDI using VGMTrans. I think it will help. Let me know if you have problems with it. :thumbs:

Mining Melancholy.mid

Holy sh :banana: t that's great. The only inconvenience is that velocities are mapped to volume and not actually velocity, but that can be worked around if there's no solution.

It seems VGMTrans must be manually built. I tried it on my Mac and it didn't work. I'm not techy enough to know how to fix it.

Kingizor wrote:VGMTrans claims to be the successor of RareSPC and a number of other tools, but I'm not able to run it and I'm not sure whether it'd produce substantially different than RareSPC.

Stickerbush Symphony, Bad Bird Rag and Steel Drum Rhumba produced various warnings complaining about pitch either being out of range or being unable to calculate it.

Whoa, thanks! These are perfect! Okay looks like we're all set here for DKC2! I'll see what I have enough samples to restore.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » June 14th, 2017, 11:02 am

No, sorry. It appears I've hit a road block. I still can't do a DKC2 track because I have almost none of the DKC2 drum percussion sample sources. I need to buy the Ensoniq CDR collection and hope there are a lot of samples sourced from that. But I've recently graduated college and moved out on my own, so I'm now looking for a job so I can turn a profit and start investing in sample sources again. An alternative would be to host a crowdfunding campaign, but that would probably be illegal. I know people host Patreons for video game music remixes but this is literally restoring the original work. I'm not sure if I might get busted for trying to do that?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby OrangeC » June 15th, 2017, 5:37 am

Hmm, I will see if i can find a torrent or something for the Ensoniq CDR collection, along with anything else you might need.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » June 18th, 2017, 6:59 am

I've looked but there don't seem to be any
MichaelFrank wrote:Also, for even more accuracy perhaps you can get ahold of a real Roland Alpha Juno 2 synth and try programming similar patches you used in the Stickerbush remake - that's what Dave Wise used for all his synthesizer sounds back then (along with sampling different resonances and filter cutoff settings for the same 'note' to make Wavestation-like sequences with the SNES).
A software solution might be u-he Diva which apparently is a very solid emulation of a Juno 2 (among other synths) and/or maybe ReDominator.

Not necessary. Synthesis was simple enough back then that I am able to accurately recreate the synths with FLStudio's in-house synths. Also the Wavestation like sequences were actually sampled from the Wavestation themselves.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby OrangeC » June 18th, 2017, 9:49 am

Im curious, in Fear factory at 44 second when the synth lead melody plays, is that the actual sample restored from the original? i thought it kind of sounded like a brass sample like a trumpet or trombone, maybe i could be wrong and my ears are deceiving me, What is the actual sample called from the wavestation?
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Next

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks