Any recommendations for a gamepad?

A board for emulation discussion. Logically, SNES emulation talk is what this board is for, but discussion of Game Boy, GBA, N64 and NDS emulation is also welcome. Relevance to DKC is preferable.
Forum rules
Remember; posting/requesting ROMs is not allowed. General ROM/emulation talk is fine, of course.

Any recommendations for a gamepad?

Postby nackhe » April 11th, 2008, 10:52 pm

I've always played ROM's with my keyboard, but I'm getting kind of sick and frustrated with the controls... :cry:
So I was wondering if you guys use a gamepad to play, and if so, which one(s) and are you satisfied with the way it plays?

Thanks,

Nackhe.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Re: Any recommendations for a gamepad?

Postby Stone » April 11th, 2008, 11:17 pm

If you can find an adapter (Speedlink for example), I would recommend using a playstation 2 gamepad.
Damn, I should have bought two adapters, I cannot find them anymore. (Edit: Oh, amazon germany sells them, nice!) The same goes for the transparent blue gamepad...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » April 12th, 2008, 1:46 am

I use an adapter called Super Smart Joy to plug my SNES controller straight in; works like a charm! For pure SNES gaming, I couldn't recommend anything more highly.

If you have a need for more buttons, analogue input, etc... Stone's advice is good. If you don't like adapters (or just don't have Playstation controllers hanging around) Logitech is a good brand for regular PC gamepads.

I definitely recommend that you grab a gamepad of some kind for retro gaming... Keyboards just don't cut it!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 1:33 pm

I use an Acteck Gamepad in the shape of a PSOne/1/2/3 controller. Slitghtly smaller than its PS counterpart. I arranged the buttons the same way the SNES games have it, so it's basically a Wii Classic Controller in a PS shape, and: 2 more trigger buttons and a Turbo function =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2008, 3:18 pm

I recommend the Logitech Dual Action game pad. Although, they seem to have re-designed this specific controller since the time I bought it, which makes its + pad a bit harder to control. It's like a PS2 controller, so can I use the leftover L2 and R2 buttons to save/load save states, it comes in handy when debugging or playing very difficult hacks.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby nackhe » April 12th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Thanks guys!
I'll be sure to look for these mentioned gamepads on the internet and my local videogame store. :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Kowbrainz » May 1st, 2008, 1:17 am

For all of my gaming on the computer, I use an old Wingman Rumblepad controller. The control sticks aren't too good if you need to use them, but the control pad is excellent and there are several buttons there for you to map the controls of consoles however you like. I've set it up to work for the NES, SNES, GBA and N64, and all work great. The only problem I've found was with input sensitivity, especially in games like Banjo Tooie for the N64 which require you to use a certain sensitivity on the control stick for some puzzles. In this case, I either change the sensitivity via the control panel or map the controls back to the control stick for that puzzle - you don't usually need a certain control sensitivity for a prolonged amount of time anyway.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby nackhe » May 1st, 2008, 2:52 am

Well thanks for the tips/advise/recommendations guys!
I actually bought a gamepad a few days ago but I forgot about this thread :lol:.

Anyways, I bought a 'Trust Predator Gamepad"
Yes, I know, Trust is not the best out there, but the gamepad is perfect for SNES gaming. :D

Here's a piccy for you guys:

As you can see it (almost) has the same buttons as the SNES controllers plus some extras.

Thanks again guys. :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » May 1st, 2008, 10:58 am

Looks pretty cool; how's the D-pad on that gamepad? I've had one in the past (a Thrustmaster one, I believe) which had a similar looking D-pad, and it felt kind of loose... Not good for those frantic croc-dodging moments, or for scaling the icy ropes in Slipslide Ride. I also prefer to have a well defined + for movement, as it helps me know exactly where my thumb's positioned. The wavy/circular design wasn't really my style. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nackhe » May 1st, 2008, 11:18 am

The D-pad is pretty good on the gamepad.
The actual 'plus' or + part of the D-pad is a bit higher than the rest of the D-pad so it feels almost the same as on a regular SNES controller.
My only complaint would be that I'm stuck with two anolog sticks I'm not using.

So anyone wanna buy some analog sticks? :lol:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » May 1st, 2008, 11:34 am

Are they buy one get one free?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » May 1st, 2008, 11:38 am

Nackhe, I know what you mean... although one of those sticks may come in handy if you decide to play N64 sometime. I spend probably 99% of my emugaming time controlling a Kong, but every now and then I mix it up by bringing a honey bear and a Red Crested Breegull into the equation.

If I were you, I'd keep one, and hit Jomingo with full price on the other. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » May 1st, 2008, 11:42 am

If you sell them both half off, I'll toss in a used R button.

Yeah, Qyz is right though. You come for the SNES games, you stay for some N64 games. It'll come in handy eventually.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » May 1st, 2008, 12:25 pm

I have this one:

Acteck... Dunno if it's an actual trademark in other countries, as the only webpage I can find is from México...

Here's the url for the Acteck's Website

Spoiler!
Turbo Button Rocks! =) It actually makes Kiddy jumping ropes glitchy XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby nackhe » May 1st, 2008, 12:42 pm

Hmm, that R button does sound interesting Jomingo.
I'll think about it ;)

And Kiddy14, that gamepad looks awesome! :shock:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » May 1st, 2008, 1:50 pm

Hehe... thanks! =) I like yours' D-Pad :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » May 1st, 2008, 1:58 pm

Kiddy, yours looks like it could transform into an angry robot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. :D

(Unless you value your life, and/or the safety of your computer)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » May 1st, 2008, 2:24 pm

Ahahahha! =P

It's indeed a Transformer... He's called Acteck xD He's also my cellphone!
He can hack anything, including DKC-related sites and forums with moderators nicknamed Qyzbud. :?

Spoiler!
xD Nah! He's not my cellphone. It is actually a Sony Ericsson. Hey! I think we can do a Cellphones thread! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Stone » May 1st, 2008, 7:33 pm

I don't really like the way the Analog-sticks are added in those Playstation and Playstation-like gamepads.
After using N64-pads for more than a decade constantly, I have problems running a straight line forwards with PS2 pads.

If I try to run forward, my thumb always pushes the analog-stick a bit to the right.
In the beginning it was so bad that I always ran diagonal (up-right) instead of forward.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » May 2nd, 2008, 6:49 am

Kiddy14, that does indeed look very Transformer like. You should be cautious.

And Stone, I have the exact opposite problem when playing on my new N64. I'm used to every controller looking like the Playstation design.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby sektor88 » May 13th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I personally used a wired Xbox 360 controller for playing emulated stuff like DKC. (also, using a 360 pad on a macbook while under OSX=hilarious. I have XP on it too, but that takes all the fun out of it. :P).
Newcomer

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 14th, 2008, 5:48 am

Wiimote works really fine for NES/some SNES games. You can use the Wiimote as a controller for mouse and other stuff like that with GlovePie (Under Windows, that is) or Darwiin remote (Under OS X)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Qyzbud » May 14th, 2008, 10:16 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:You can use the Wiimote as a controller for mouse and other stuff

Wow, that's pretty useful. I could imagine people (me, for one) customising their computer's operating system/music software etc. for easy Wiimote access from across the room. Thanks for the tip... does it work well as a mouse? I imagine you'd lose a little bit of fine precision and immediacy.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 15th, 2008, 4:17 am

I tried Darwiin remote when it came out, and it worked really well with the mouse. I don't know how the newer Darwiin versions or GlovePie work.
Keep in mind that you can use the classic controller too.

The only requirement is a bluetooth adapter. Macs have them built-in, I don't know about standard PCs, sorry.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Qyzbud » May 15th, 2008, 4:41 am

Cool, thanks for the info... but please keep in mind our rule about quoting the whole post above you; such a thing is taboo in these parts. :ugeek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 15th, 2008, 5:07 am

Oh, darn.. Totally forgot.
Post edited, thanks for the reminder.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby eladriano » July 1st, 2008, 10:39 am

I really like the wiimote + classic controller. There are a few different scripts for either Snes9x or Zsnes worth checking out.
Newcomer

Postby Cody » December 11th, 2008, 4:58 pm

I have a gamepad (I use a PS2 controller with an adapter I got at RadioShack) but I really like using the keyboard more. I have it like this:

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9442/whatiusemv2.png

^ really works wonders for games like the DKCs or Super Mario All-Stars, since it's basically like a giant SNES controller.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Return to Emulation