IDEAS FOR THE NEXT RETRO STUDIOS DKC GAME...

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

IDEAS FOR THE NEXT RETRO STUDIOS DKC GAME...

Postby spaceman2028 » February 5th, 2016, 6:30 am

So I've been thinking recently...if retro studios decides to make us something special in the future with the next Donkey Kong Country game(be it another anniversary thing, or just something else entirely), what will it be like and what things might we see in the future? In my opinion I've had a few ideas...

1. Funky Kong as an ally. We all predicted that either him or Kiddy Kong would come back to help the Kongs, but not as what Tropical Freeze entailed. He did return, but not as a playable character-instead, Cranky showed up in the fourth character spot. And that got me thinking-what would happen in the next Retro Studios DKC game as a result? Originally, before Tropical Freeze, Cranky was the shop owner in DKC Returns. But in the next game, he became a fully playable character, and Funky Kong became the shop owner. So what next? Will the next game have Funky as a fifth playable kong(seeing as he was in Barrel Blast, MKWii and other things), and if so, who will be the next shop owner? My prodiction is this: since Cranky owned the first shop(or whatever) that you go to in DKC, and then Funky Kong appeared, and there was a third shop with Candy in it, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see her come back to be the new shop owner.
2. More animal buddies. Having Rambi in a few levels was nice, but I felt that there needed to be some more Rambi action and that other animal buddies should appear in the game.
3. New baddies. People have mentioned over and over again that since the Tikis and the Snowmads failed to beat the kongs, that it was about time the kremlings came back. However, I personally disagree. Retro Studios has come up with some great concepts for enemies and enemy types, and I honestly wouldn't like it as much if they tried to bring back the kremlings as they've been in the spotlight for too long in my opinon. Having them come back for DKC2's 20th aniversary would've been nice however, but they never really caught on and did something about it, so that opportunity was wasted.

Feel free to discuss other ideas about what you think might happen next with Retro Studio's next game in the comments below.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Re: IDEAS FOR THE NEXT RETRO STUDIOS DKC GAME...

Postby OneOf99 » February 5th, 2016, 9:42 am

Well, if people are saying that the Tikis and Snowmads failed to beat the kongs, then they got some weak evidence there. After all, the kremlings also failed so what's the difference. (Though I would like to see K Rool again)

4. Make every bonus unique. In DKC2 and 3, none of the bonuses repeated themselves. They need to do that in the newer games, bonus levels were essentially little challenges that tested you on every aspect of the game.
5. Have more level variety. Do it like the old DKC games, just because something was an Ice world did not mean that everything in it was related to ice.
6. Make hard mode available from the start, not as a special reward. Also allow it to be multiplayer (just disable respawning, and if kongs are on each other then they both die if hit)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Monkeyman » April 13th, 2016, 2:21 am

I probably hope Chunky Kong would make a comeback, he'd be a playable character and replace Kiddy.
Newcomer
Bananas received 3

Postby CountryFan » April 13th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Would be nice, ESPECIALLY after he failed to appear in Barrel Blast.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby MatiZ » April 14th, 2016, 1:30 am

One or two years ago, I had a concept of new DKC game. It would be in 3D world and the main characters would be Diddy and Dixie. I didn't think much about specific locations, expect the tutorial place. It would be a rope park, where you can learn a lot of new moves. For example: http://www.clactonpavilion.co.uk/resour ... course.jpg
Plot? Kongs organized a family reunion in park. It's like the begining of Sonic Generations, so they would making barbecue, competitions... but someone stole the grand prize/bananas/crystal coconut or something else. We won't play as the Donkey Kong, but Cranky and Funky would return. Cranky, as always, grouchy advisor giving advice. Funky as a mechanic or sports coach giving new moves to learn. I also thought about minigames in the form of racing, like Super Mario Double Dash.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby OneOf99 » April 14th, 2016, 11:09 am

So essentially DK64... but better! Because it includes Dixie....
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby sonosublime » April 14th, 2016, 11:46 am

I'd love for there to be a new DK 3D adventure, and have it not be s*** like DK64.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby OneOf99 » April 14th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I couldn't have said it better. I feel like 95% of the love DK64 gets is purely nostalgia.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby ProfessionalUsername » May 11th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Definitely time for a new 3D Donkey Kong Game, been about 20 years. Explore an interactive jungle envioronment with 5 different kongs, each providing unique experiences and playthrough, and even go multiplayer (up to 2). DK, Diddy, Dixie, Funky, and new kong. Envisioning idea of sinking pirate ship in stormy weather, off the coast of the jungle, dodging baddies and perhaps octopuss tentacles. Hmm

Just as I left my screen, things started to clear.

First two worlds set on DK island. First world has familiar sites from first dkc game. 2nd is entirely new, as you near the coast. 3rd world is beach coast and ocean area with wrecked pirate ships and approaching storm. 4th world is familiar sites in new 3D environment on. Crocodile isle, 5th is brand new area of croc isle. You make it to a caged giant banana bird who flies you to 6th world, a sky world, home of the banana birds. After helping them, you are taken to the 7th and 8th worlds, northern kremisphere.

9th world is battling in K Rool l's Konvoy. 10th and 11th a brand new island.

Then a hidden world that comprises some of the past two retroware levels along with brand new levels in a 3D environment.

Maybe it would be neat if you start off the game with either DK or Diddy, then you get Dixie in Croc Isle (though, once obtaining her under one save file, can restart the game with her as a playable character from the start.)
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby OneOf99 » May 12th, 2016, 8:44 am

That is a lot of worlds, just saying. They would have to be short and sweet, but littered with sidequests (like Krazy Kremland's Koaster could be a optional minigame)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby the_kong_br » May 13th, 2018, 2:35 am

sonosublime wrote:I'd love for there to be a new DK 3D adventure, and have it not be s*** like DK64.

The essence of the DKC series is 3D gameplay. The DK64 is basically a Super Mario 64 with a Rareware DKC skin. IMHO
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Super Luigi! » May 15th, 2018, 6:18 am

DK64 is also a very good game, especially if your life is already great. I would play it again now, but the time is not right.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby PegasusMan » May 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm

DK64 is a good game, but in my opinion (in terms of 3D gameplay), I would get more excited for a 3D DKC game. B/
Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8

Postby Super Luigi! » May 17th, 2018, 7:39 am

I would too, but DK64 will always be great to me. DKC in true 3D would be a challenge, but I would enjoy it as long as there were Kongs, creative and necessary bonuses, and Kremlings. Online multiplayer of some sort would also be interesting, even if it was simply for leaderboards, a la DKC3.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze