Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby OneOf99 » January 14th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Quick question (I feel like I say that a lot)- will the controls be editable? It would be nice to play this with a controller, after all ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby leo_core » January 18th, 2016, 4:59 am

Hi guys!
I have not had much free time to discuss in the forum as I would like and I want to thank all suggestions and support towards our project.
We now have the Phyreburnz working with our editor and she has been an incredible help creating fabulous levels!
We have almost completed the eight stages that will make this new demo, lacking some adjustments and review yet.

One might ask why we release these demos out instead of focusing on work in the full game. The point is that this engine is very complex and we are always improving, so the demo is so that people can test our engine and report bugs so we can improve it more and more, we always count on the feedback of you!

OneOf99 wrote:Quick question (I feel like I say that a lot)- will the controls be editable? It would be nice to play this with a controller, after all ;)

Yes, the controls are fully configurable and you can play either with the keyboard or with a control :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby thetoad11 » January 18th, 2016, 5:43 am

It's always nice to hear progress about the project, and I know I personally don't mind demos coming out, because it gives us a chance to really experience all the hard work you guys are putting into the project.

Also I'm just excited to play a game with music I wrote in it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby OneOf99 » January 20th, 2016, 9:28 am

So I played the uploaded demo, but have not been able to get past Wrecked Rails. Why? The game needs to add a longer invulnerability after getting hit in the minecart. Numerous times I have gotten hit only to get back into the cart and fall onto another enemy. This is annoying, since most buzzes are positioned in a way where one hit essentially kills you. Also, please remove the minecart's jump that occurs when you come out of the midway barrel. It would make getting the DK barrel much easier...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Phyreburnz » January 20th, 2016, 10:13 am

The old demo engine has been pretty much totally revamped.

As far as getting passed wrecked rails goes, the ONLY way to do it is like this:

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby OneOf99 » January 20th, 2016, 10:31 am

Lol, I found this by myself right before seeing this, really. Great glitch, I would recommend leaving it in and adding an easter egg only accessible by doing this
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Simion32 » January 21st, 2016, 8:47 am

If I've not mentioned this before, the physics you see in DKCRE for DKC1's Mine Cart Carnage are the exact computed lines for the track pieces, the physics actually LOOK like that.

Copying those 16x32 tiles is the best way to get an accurate physics surface for the minecart tracks.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Phyreburnz » January 21st, 2016, 11:42 am

Simon, you would have to tell that to Leo. If you could, would you make a video of how to do that?

Leo has been making videos so I can add levels into their engine. His videos are text only as far as describing thing goes, it mostly just shows you what to do. That helps with the language barrier. Both Leo and Hiperkalango both speak Portuguese and it can be difficult to explain things, even with translated text.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markfrizb » January 21st, 2016, 3:49 pm

Hi,
I'd like to get the demo if it's still available for down load. I went to post #1 and it said the download was taken down for TOS. Is there another place to get it?
Thanks!
Newcomer

Postby Markster » January 21st, 2016, 5:03 pm

The new demo hasn't been released yet, the old one got taken down. Here is a link to the old demo that I reuploaded: http://www.2shared.com/file/LYp__faF/DK ... Setup.html
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Duraestbw » January 27th, 2016, 7:30 am

Kalango, the Brs want to see the monkeys in a Favela, baile funk, a soccer game, on a beach with automotive sound and women with short bikinis, or Leblon, maybe something like the Amazonian forests. :lol:

Okay, it's a joke. haha

Stay with what they were doing :banana:
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » February 4th, 2016, 8:41 am

Would anybody be able/interested in making some music for the map screen? We're very close to releasing the next demo! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby thetoad11 » February 6th, 2016, 4:53 am

I can start work on a map theme monday or tuesday, if you'e willing to wait that long.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Phyreburnz » February 6th, 2016, 5:12 am

Thanks, you're awesome, thetoad11!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby thetoad11 » February 7th, 2016, 11:13 am

I tell lies, apparently.

I had extra time after work and a smidge of inspiration, so I drew up this quick diddle instead of waiting for monday or tuesday to work on it. I did two versions of the 49 second map theme, but you'll notice that they're basically identical except for a slight difference close to the loop. I included both versions in case what I did in the second version was stale or unwanted. Also I was a little nervous naming this because if the game isn't taking place on DK island then I made a slight error, but whatever, we'll live.

Download the tune from picosong, or use the dropbox link below, whatever works for you.

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby leo_core » February 8th, 2016, 3:24 am

Hello! Thank you guys all for collaboration, suggestions and feedback!
thetoad11 You are very talented, thanks for the great musics. Is possible to you remove the bigle (think it's bugle instrument, not sure) music to the map?

Duraestbw wrote:Kalango, the Brs want to see the monkeys in a Favela, baile funk, a soccer game, on a beach with automotive sound and women with short bikinis, or Leblon, maybe something like the Amazonian forests. :lol:
Okay, it's a joke. haha
Stay with what they were doing :banana:

Lmao, are u br? You are welcome! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » February 8th, 2016, 3:31 am

Would not remove the correct term (since it is the main melody sample), you could substitute this sample for another and leave it less acute?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby thetoad11 » February 8th, 2016, 3:44 am

I have some bad news regarding that request.

I'm assuming it's the saxophone that you have a problem with, and while I'd love to help you and change or remove it, I really would, I can't. The program I use, FL Studio, is only a demo, and while technically I can save projects with this demo, the demo will not re-open saved projects. I want to buy the full version, however the version with the soundfont player (Which is what I use to use the DKC soundfonts) costs something a little out of my price range (It's like 399$ or something).

What I'm trying to say is that when I exported the songs and closed out the program, I lost the power to change them any further. What I've given you is basically my limit until I have more money, unless I start all over from scratch, which could actually give you something much worse instead of better.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 11th, 2016, 2:01 am

I just saw the new trailer! Amazing! If you guys would like help with naming stages to be more in-line with the other games, I'd like to lend a hand. They usually employ a lot of alliteration or rhyming.

For instance, is the Kremahari a world, or just a level? A level could be called Desert Dune Dash , Sandy Shuffle, Arid Adventure, Sweltering Sands, Heatstroke Hills, etc. Also, If it's a desert themed world, an oasis stage might be neat. :P
Also, for the Hornet Fury stage, you could call it Hostile Hornets, or Hornet Hostility, or Bumble Battle, or Strive in the Hive, or Bee Bombardment, etc.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » February 22nd, 2016, 12:18 am

Hello guys! This is a small preview of two levels of this demo:

Sorry for the delay in posting, we are working hard to release as soon as possible this demo.

thetoad11:
We decided to take their music to another area specific in the final game, we set another song for area of this demo. Thank you for your valuable contribution!
Tonberry2000:
Your suggestions are always welcome. "Kremlahari" is a level, do you think that does not sound right? "Hornet Fury" makes no sense in English? I liked your suggestions, help me with this.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby GhostThrow » February 22nd, 2016, 11:29 am

Lookin' nice! All'a you on the project are workin' it so good :D
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby Cosmicman » February 22nd, 2016, 11:46 am

Amazing work, I'm so happy to see the game progress.

Leo_core, how hard is it to make the game 16x9 widescreen, not stretched ? After playing Mario Maker I thought it would be awesome if something like that was implemented in this game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 23rd, 2016, 2:20 pm

Kremahari is a great name for an overall world. Within that world you could have a bunch of desert themed levels with names like above. Like I said, I'm always willing to help with with proof reading and naming. Just PM me.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby thetoad11 » February 25th, 2016, 10:23 am

In a few weeks I should have saved enough money to feasibly buy FL studio, so I should be able to fix the map themes then, but until then, I won't be hurt if you use some other theme as a placeholder... Or as the theme permanently.

While we wait around for that, I did a ruins theme, or really a theme for any sort of mysterious and ancient location. I figure you'll eventually have at least a few of those kinds of levels, so this theme shouldn't go to waste.

Also dropbox link for those who can't get into the pico song
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby OneOf99 » February 25th, 2016, 11:01 am

This is all vey good! I noticed that your style relies heavily on ambience, I would try to include some kind of main refrain between the parts of your songs to make them stand out more (like the slow tremolo in Mine Cart Madness). However, all of your music so far has been very good, keep up the great work!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby leo_core » March 4th, 2016, 7:45 pm

There were 4 years of hard work to get to that engine.
We still have much to improve, there are critical issues that are we still working, but we hope that you guys can have some fun with this little demonstration.
We ask please that do not host the game anywhere else. If you send the link to someone, send the link of this video.
Most importantly, share and subscribe to the YouTube channel. We count on your support to improve ever!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » March 5th, 2016, 2:36 am

The application to set control is wrong!
If someone is not able to access the game menu to map controls, use this little aplication:
https://petadisk.com/configure-controls.rar
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » March 5th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Here is a demo play of DKC4 from YouTube user Ma Ryu:

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby OneOf99 » March 6th, 2016, 10:05 am

I have no idea why but I really like that menu select screen. Reminds me of Jungle Climber... And the level itself is cool to. I think that the background was really well chosen, it helped to blend the three styles together. The only thing I would say is to separate the boardwalk and ship sections by some more land, they slightly clash because they look similar but one is filled with tiles and the other isn't.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby leo_core » March 6th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Demo is update!
Critical updates include:

1-The DK coin was not appearing at Bullfrog Bog level.
2-The X position of the camera was not following the player if he was above the top of the screen in Twilight Temple level.
3-The level design error at the end of the first phase allowed the player to jump off the screen.
4-The Erase Save option was unconfiguring the controller.

Download:
https://petadisk.com/egPyCy-demo-v0.2-d ... return.rar
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » March 6th, 2016, 3:28 pm

I played the demo. I really like it! You guys should make some kind of Donkey Kong Country level editor with this in the future. :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Ninni973 » March 6th, 2016, 7:30 pm

Hey guys, I think you may like this; an ancient island level starting with the coast and ending with a mine entrance. Also featuring my DBZ OC Dylan.

DKC4 ancient island level.png
DKC4 ancient island level.png (19.28 KiB) Viewed 229556 times

I think what music could go with the level are either Klomp's Romp or Ancestral Aria by thetoad11. Also, about my DBZ OC, he can punch while not dashing, dash kick while dashing, and flip kick while in the air. Sorry if I ripped off somebody's idea for a playable Kong. I just thought my character needed to shine in a DKC fangame, so why not? So what you think, guys?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby hiperkalango » March 6th, 2016, 11:11 pm

WAAAAAWWWWW ....nice hoax
I love it
Are you able to to make a Complete stage ?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby VideoViking » March 7th, 2016, 6:49 am

Link to the updated file no longer works.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Cinder » March 7th, 2016, 9:01 am

The demo version of World 1 is great. I'm just sooo glad DK is back in DKC where he should be! Please update the link to the new version!
Newcomer

Postby CountryFan » March 7th, 2016, 11:32 am

VideoViking wrote:Link to the updated file no longer works.

Yeah, for some reason he decided to remove it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Phyreburnz » March 7th, 2016, 1:50 pm

The demo has been updated a little bit. They are working on one more update to fix critical errors.

For the time being, I am uploading my version (0.2) to my personal dropbox. If you would like to download V 0.2, PM me and I will give you the link.

My upload of this version will come down after the release of V 0.3.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » March 8th, 2016, 9:04 am

Okay, that's the last revision for this demo!
We apologize for release 3 revisions but was the means to fix critical errors and make adjustments in the level design of some levels.
Read the "README" txt file in game folder to see all changes made.
Thank you all for reporting bugs, always improve!

NOTE:
If you use the "configure controls" to configure the control, just close and execute the game. The PLAY button will not work (I forgot to make this small change).

DOWNLOAD:
https://petadisk.com/donkey-kong-countr ... o-v0.3.rar
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby natedog2007 » March 10th, 2016, 4:26 am

anybody find the dk coin in oak island?
Newcomer

Postby Kin » March 10th, 2016, 5:16 am

Multimedia Fusion has an android exporter option. Ever consider making an android port that requires a physical gamepad? Something like the tegra tablets or a bluetooth controller?
Kin
Newcomer

Postby sonosublime » March 10th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Very well-made demo. Great work. I noticed the game crashes when you pause. Also, there does not seem to be a save feature (granted, I only got up to Fungi Forest, but if there is a save point, you might want to make it earlier, given how hard the levels are). I also sometimes take damage even though I landed on top of an enemy.

I have just a few suggestions:
1. It's very hard for the first world of the game. A fairer difficulty curve would make the game more accessible.
2. The pacing is kind of weird. Why is there a desert level in the jungle world?
3. The water and mushrooms/tyres need some work. The water is very hard to jump out of. The mushrooms in Fungi Forest are also very annoying. You have to time it exactly right to bounce high, but still do not have enough forward momentum to carry you over obstacles. I died countless times due to falling into pits or onto Zingers, even though I had timed the bounce correctly.
4. This is more of a personal thing, but it's a shame to lose the Scarlet Crystal Crossing and glimmering galleon levels from the previous demo.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2016, 12:24 pm

This I just a demo. Don't worry about the pacing so much. It will work better in the final game. Also, we wanted a nice mix for the demos, I'm sure we will keep those other levels from the first demo. They need reworked for this new engine, I'm sure.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby CountryFan » March 10th, 2016, 3:10 pm

One thing I noted is that I took damage from direct contact with a Mini-Necky as well as from a coconut throwing Necky, which shouldn't happen.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby OneOf99 » March 11th, 2016, 3:23 am

CountryFan wrote:One thing I noted is that I took damage from direct contact with a Mini-Necky as well as from a coconut throwing Necky, which shouldn't happen.

We must keep true to the original!!! :angrysquawks:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby natedog2007 » March 11th, 2016, 9:03 am

i need some help guys been going through the levels over andf over i cant find the dk coin in bullfrog bog and the bonus coin that does not involw the pointing left arrow that the barrell breaks in the cemetary didnt realize there was a new version found the dk coin gor bullfrog bog still looking for that last bonus in cemetary
Newcomer

Postby thetoad11 » March 12th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Remember when you guys asked for me to fix the saxophone is "Return to Donkey Kong Island"? Well I replaced it with a flute which is a little less abrasive, so hopefully it'll be more suited to your liking. I did this to both versions, so you can have the flute with or without the musical throwback.

Also the dropbox links
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Super Luigi! » March 17th, 2016, 5:53 am

Congratulations, leo_core and company! From what I see here, you have done a great job. Although I don't have much to say, I'm glad you have all succeeded, and I wish you continued success in the future!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cinder » March 19th, 2016, 2:29 am

I completed 0.3 yesterday. I'm glad it has new level designs apart from DKC trilogy styles. DKC1 had a "wildlife VS industry" motif, 2 was all about pirates, and 3 added some steampunk. DCK4, with its above-average difficulty, a graveyard for a level and a freaking Aragog-like boss, seems to involve some horror. Leo, what do you think about K. Rool? Is he going to have his old gimmicks or a new one?
Newcomer

Postby Eliko » April 27th, 2016, 5:16 am

Hi leo_core, hiperkalango and the whole DKC4 team.
First of all i played your demo at the weekend and it is just wonderful and inspirating.

It's a little bit inactive here hope you still work on it.

leo_core or hiperkalango my main question is are you working on a stand alone game or are you creating with your DKC4 game and with Multimedia Fusion 2 the basis or a kind of a "donkey kong country engine"?
so that people who will buy multimedia/clickteam fusion too, have the possibility to use your "DKC engine" to make als well nice made oldschool DKC level/games, for people with not so much experience in programming?

sorry for my bad english hope you understand me ^^ I would buy Multimedia Fusion twice when you are creating with your DKC4 "the basis of an DKC engine" and definitely many other people would do it too!
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks