Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby Cyclone » July 12th, 2015, 6:53 am

hiperkalango wrote:we need someone to do the Cheetah model :kiddysad:

I can do it if you give me some sketches of what it looks like. But if you are in a hurry count me out.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby GhostThrow » July 16th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Awesome to see more progress on this! Especially cool seeing the classic Zingers in a DKC3 stage.
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby thetoad11 » July 16th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Looking at level archetypes I hadn't covered yet, I realized that I hadn't contributed a lava theme yet, so my latest composition is a hot head bop replacement for you guys to use, if you'd like.

DKC version

Modernized Version
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby spaceman2028 » July 24th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Keizer, you attempt to put your files on Picosong is not working for me. Is there an alternative besides signing up on SoundCloud?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby thetoad11 » July 25th, 2015, 2:12 am

Well, I'm not really sure what to use, because it seems like a lot of things don't really suit my needs exactly. but from now on I can also provide a download link for the songs I upload to pico song, just in case someone can't listen to them and download them from here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9g3jz2ip9h10 ... ds.7z?dl=0
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby spaceman2028 » July 30th, 2015, 11:43 am

Thanks! You got a forest theme, by the way?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby thetoad11 » July 31st, 2015, 12:08 am

Wise oak elegy was my forest theme, and you could get that from my soundcloud.

UNLESS you meant like a basic forest theme, instead of an enchanted forest theme. I don't have one of those yet. Not really sure how to go about that, yet.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby spaceman2028 » July 31st, 2015, 6:48 am

Ah, right. Forgot about that particular track. But if you want to make a basic forest theme, go ahead!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Dr. Stantz » August 3rd, 2015, 5:54 am

Could someone re-upload the demo, Mediafire deleted it.
Newcomer

Postby hiperkalango » August 6th, 2015, 12:30 am

This is just a demonstration of how I start creating an engine to get very close to the original.
Behind all engine we do so.
We do not copy anything from engine Snes9x, but we try to approach the Original made from zero.
I Hiperkalango with Phyreburnz're Trying to Copy Engine Circus and the Chief DKC3
Hugs ...... Quick News
:thumbs:

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Grobbulus » August 8th, 2015, 3:43 pm

I'm sure this has already been discussed before, but can I ask what programs you use to do most (if not all) of the coding and designing? Just curious, because your work so far is incredible!

-Gr :o: bbulus
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby Dr. Stantz » August 16th, 2015, 11:39 am

Could someone pm me a link to the demo or know where it could be found?
Newcomer

Postby spaceman2028 » August 17th, 2015, 9:38 am

That bleak boss thing looks so freaking good! If only we had something similar to the Bleak fight that could go with this...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby hiperkalango » August 18th, 2015, 8:50 am

Guys, I'm close to Finalize main Engine DKC4.
Good News is not it?
most still have much to do
As I said "Brief news"
I am having very little time to work on it more I will not let you in hand.
This is the Completed Engine Bonus, missed only show the Green Bananas (Also Included)
I hope you enjoy :krool:

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Super Luigi! » August 18th, 2015, 9:42 am

Agreed. To see so many DKC Atlas members band together and create a game such as this is truly awe-inspiring. Please, all of you, continue to succeed greatly and become heroes to children everywhere, not just for this project, but in everything you do! I will do my best to support your cause and become a hero as well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » August 18th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Looking very accurately replicated, as usual. B/

Great work HiperKalango, and nice to hear about your progress after such a long idle period.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Phyreburnz » August 19th, 2015, 2:50 am

Looking at the bonus images, I realized that I can make some of them look better. Here are the updated bonus images! :D

bonus images.png
bonus images.png (70.26 KiB) Viewed 180402 times

Much better! :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » August 21st, 2015, 1:53 pm

Much better! I think I just said they needed work on the YouTube video.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby vege » August 22nd, 2015, 11:11 am

Awesome work Phyreburnz, especially i love how the kongs hit the kremling :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby thetoad11 » September 4th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Well, I finished another tune for you guys, if you wanna use it. It's a jungle theme, more DKC2 and DKC3 fitting, I think, and funny enough, it works with the DKC forest archetype, too, but it doesn't seem to suit the DKC jungle... But hey, it's up to you how you guys use it, and I think it could work with archetype fusions the involve the afforementioned archetypes. Like a forest temple, or a night jungle, who knows?

Also special thanks to Qyzbud for exporting this for me, because my computer was a jerk.

There's only a DKC trilogy version, partially due to computer issues, and partially because I didn't care to make a modernized one anyways, since they never sound as good.

It can be downloaded from pico song, or from this dropbox link.

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Simion32 » September 5th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Your modern version songs always provide variety that would otherwise not exist. ;)

In fact several of them sound better modernized or are different enough to cover alternate themes. For example Kremlantis has one version going "under water"-ish, the other for "in-cave-but-above-water" sections.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby doomero » October 1st, 2015, 4:19 am

Oh!, very nice editions Phyreburnz.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby CatLoverMolly » October 9th, 2015, 3:14 am

So...anyone heard any word from the team?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby spaceman2028 » October 11th, 2015, 3:04 am

Nope. Not at all. But in the meantime I might as well talk about a level idea. Possible spoilers.

Spoiler!
So has anyone around here heard of Sly 2: Band of thieves? In the last chapter of the game you're on a gigantic flying fortress of some kind, doing missions in order to stop it from utilizing energy that will activate a large mind control mechanism of some sort.

^I was thinking we could probably use this idea for some kind sky-themed level similar to Topsail Trouble, for near the end of the game as part of maybe a world based upon The Flying Kroc, with brambles possibly scattered around inside of it and what not.

I also came up with the idea of a gyeser-this would use the blue/purple beam of light in Krocodile Kore in DKC2 recolored to a red/orange format. It would shoot upward randomly with a rock on top that you can ride on to reach higher up areas that you couldn't normally.

That's all, just wanted to share some thoughts.

PS: For the "flying fortress" level, I had Krook's March playing in my head when I thought of the level, so that could work well for the level.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Markster » November 3rd, 2015, 9:56 am

It's good to see this project still up and going, unlike my half-baked ideas. :oops:

I can't wait to see the final product! :D

Also, will you be releasing the project file(s) to the engine (not the entire DKC4 game, just the engine) to the public? Or maybe some type of level editor? Just wondering, this is the best DKC engine I've ever seen, I'd like to see other people make DKC fan games off of this engine. :) As I recall, you guys used Multimedia Fusion Developer 2 to make this?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby Bluevine » November 15th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Dr. Stantz wrote:Could someone re-upload the demo, Mediafire deleted it.

More like Ninty caught wind of this and filed a DMCA claim to get it taken down.
Sorry for the bump, but this still hasn't been rectified yet. Which is disappointing.

To the OP, I'd advise having this on more file-sharing websites. As a backup plan.
I'm not telling which ones, but you should take my advice and run with it. Trust me.
Newcomer

Postby Markster » November 16th, 2015, 12:06 pm

I still have the DKC4 installer on my computer.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » November 24th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I just had to do this...

Yeah, please don't ban me. :oops:

Edit : Some people say that Jason Allen is a fake employee, maybe there is hope. :dk-tf:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Qyzbud » November 24th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Whoa. That's a rather significant development. :O
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gaz » November 25th, 2015, 9:26 am

Can someone please share a temporary download link for me? I forgot to download this game. If you can't share here, then please PM it to me, thanks. This is for archival's sake.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Markster » November 25th, 2015, 10:54 am

I have the installer, I could send it to you via my Google Drive sooner or later.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » November 28th, 2015, 6:26 pm

It saddens me to see that Nintendo would request the download link to this project be removed. It clearly says in the intro to the demo "Please support NINTENDO by buying their products". I understand that there are copyright laws that protect their products, but this is a harmless fan made project that represents a tribute to the series, by the fans for the fans. I have been following this project for as long as it has been in development and again this hurts my feelings. This project is a staple fan project here in the DKC Atlas and so many people have contributed to the project, it's just not fair! I am going to send an e-mail to Nintendo regarding the matter, in this message I will explain my dissatisfaction with the decision to remove your game, as well as ask questions about the future of your project and all other DKC fan made projects. There has to be a way that you can still finish the game and provide downloadble demos, maybe there is a set of rules we just don't know about or maybe they can make certain exceptions. Whatever the case you can be sure of two things: 1) I will ask all the right questions and get the answers we need as a community and 2) I intend to upload my project "Diddy's Kong Quest 3D" to all corners of the known internet so even if it does suffer the same fate it will take the big N a long time to finally rid the internet of the games download links. We can not let this recent event or any other event in our lives discourage us from doing what we love, and that's creating great fan games that show our love for Donkey Kong Country.........
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » November 28th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Sending them an email is not really a good idea, all that might do is at most draw the Ninty lawyers' attention to here. :boss:

Seriously though, I wouldn't bother going to Nintendo to complain or even voice concerns; it'll take a change in business model before they ever consider working with fangames existing instead of taking them down.

The mindset is somewhat of being so professional that they would rather not have any knock-offs polluting their own desired mage of, say, Mario - though doing that type of thing to Mario is pretty difficult to accomplish without the game being unrecognizable or outright glitchy. Donkey Kong Country hasn't seen a really good same-graphical-style fangame and I can see why they'd be quick to pull the plug on that download, seeing as how no one else has even managed to make something of acceptable quality.

But still, they don't take any of this by heart - the lawyer thugs are the ones that do this (along with in-coporation supporters) and as far as they are concerned these fangames are "costing Nintendo money", so will take them down no matter how good the fangame, no matter how great the effort it took to create, and irregardless of how many fans out of the entire series are backing and/or supporting the fangame itself.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Markster » November 28th, 2015, 10:58 pm

I googled the "employee's" name (Jason Allen) myself and some people said the same thing, maybe it's just fake. That would be a miracle. :dk-tf:

Edit : http://www.2shared.com/file/LYp__faF/DK ... Setup.html Here is a reupload of the demo installer.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Gaz » November 29th, 2015, 12:50 am

I thanked you in a duplicate thread, Markster (was it necessary to create a duplicate?). But anyway...Jason Allen, I knew that name sounded familiar. I must have bumped into linked thread. But yeah guys, don't worry, I safely downloaded the game for history's sake. I'd like to re-upload to the Internet Archive but am scared of a copyright strike on the collection (but then again, I uploaded a Super Mario 64 Bob-omb Battlefield demo fangame and it's still up today...)
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby doomero » December 18th, 2015, 2:41 am

Happen the same to me, the link of my old dkc mod for doom was removed and that cause mega suspend my account, also the mediafire link was removed too.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Markster » January 5th, 2016, 4:47 am

You're back! I can't wait for the new demo! :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Tonberry2000 » January 6th, 2016, 2:34 am

Wow! Excellent! I am so impressed with how clever that bonus is.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby sonosublime » January 9th, 2016, 5:49 pm

That bonus level looks crazy hard, but a really neat concept.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Phyreburnz » January 13th, 2016, 6:08 am

Would anybody be able to create music for the opening stage? It is a level that combines the DKC1 jungle, DKC3 boardwalk, and DKC2 ship.

Those are three fake screenshots for the one level. Please let me know if you can make music for this stage! I'm finishing up the bonuses for this level, right now :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » January 13th, 2016, 8:31 am

I think someone already did that, Phyre-try looking around, it was posted by someone onto SoundCloud.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby thetoad11 » January 14th, 2016, 3:01 am

Yeah I do remember Samuel had put forth something and I think he had intended it to be used for the opening stage. Regardless, I also have an idea for a theme, so I'll get into the competitive spirit and give something a try.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Duraestbw » January 14th, 2016, 4:38 am

Oh My God :dixiehappy: the project is very really good, I am very anxious ...
I think the maps are very good too. But the images will be transformed for versions in the style of DKC3? :huh: They would be perfect. I loved the idea of Sally too.

I have an idea:
Each map would be reserved for a double. For example:
1st World Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong
2nd World Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong
3rd World Sally Kong and Kiddy Kong

:shakehead: I do not know if it would be a good idea,but would be well divided, or perhaps if it were optional ... :)
Sometimes we pick up a DK barrel just to hit enemies, not do an exchange. :roll:
Newcomer

Postby thetoad11 » January 14th, 2016, 9:53 am

So I finished the theme, and while composing/creating/remixing it was no struggle, the exportation was a bit of an issue, as the same thing happened to me that happened while I was doing call of the jungle. Thankfully it was about half exported when my computer restarted at random so I was able to open what I had an audacity and manually loop it back into the finished product I had intended it to be.

As for the theme itself, I went with a nostalgic route, and did more of a remix than a composition, combining elements of "Theme", "DK Island Swing", "Steel Drum Rhumba", "Klomp's Romp", and "Stilt Village" while also giving it some of my own originality. I thought it would be an appropriate starting level theme, seeing as it's made up of three starting level themes already, plus the bonus of the main theme and a file select

Also I've grown tired of the DKC soundfont vs Modernized version, so I've started doing this thing where I use mostly DKC soudfonts but mix in some of my other library samples in to expand my instrumentation range while still feeling nostalgic.

Here is the song to listen to on picosong, where you can also download it.

And if picosong is failng you, here's a dropbox link to download the song
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby spaceman2028 » January 14th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Whilst i thought Sameul's remix(thanks for giving me the name, DH) was good enough to fit the game on it's own right, I feel your shot at it has far surpassed his attempts at a remix. You sir are an excellent songwriter(and as one seems to have hinted, the new David WIse)!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks