DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-Related Custom Animations

Postby Phyreburnz » December 9th, 2014, 3:07 am

I hate to "duplicate" a post, but I figured I'd get some more feedback here.

Recently, I ripped sprites from Gex because there is a zombie enemy. I decided to do my best to match the animation with a Kremling, so I took pieces from Kritter, Klomp, and Kaboing to make this:

zombie-kremling-test-2.gif
zombie-kremling-test-2.gif (6.86 KiB) Viewed 238109 times

With the current animation, here is how he would look in the graveyard type level:

kremetery-zombie.gif
kremetery-zombie.gif (117.18 KiB) Viewed 238109 times

Feedback on what I can do to make it look better is very much appreciated! I had a suggestion from my boyfriend to replace the tail with something that moves less rapidly. Currently, I have the body and tail of Klomp.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » December 12th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Probably i am crazy but i feel that he needs to look more deformed, scarier. Some possibilities:

1) To cut his tail in half.
2) He could show a broken arm (a bone).
3) To add a spear (or tree branch) or any weapon/item (cross, chain) through his body.

Good kremlin anyway
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Katastrophe Kong » December 15th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I hate to "duplicate" a post, but I figured I'd get some more feedback here.

Recently, I ripped sprites from Gex because there is a zombie enemy. I decided to do my best to match the animation with a Kremling, so I took pieces from Kritter, Klomp, and Kaboing to make this:

That's siiiiick
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby vege » December 23rd, 2014, 5:41 am

I love both sheets, great !
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » January 7th, 2015, 12:29 pm

I've had this thought for a while to have a waterfall from DKC3 to go into a body of water. For a long time, I couldn't figure out how to do it well. I think I found a good solution. I recoloured a DKC1 explosion and duplicated it and staggered the animation at the bottom of the waterfall.

Like so:
waterfall.gif
waterfall.gif (121.07 KiB) Viewed 237875 times

I know that the explosions from DKC2 and 3 have more colours, but I feel like the first game's explosion is better to repeat.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » January 7th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Nice work! :)

There's a very good chance I'll have some kind of minimal particle effects capability in DELTA ....*thinks*... actually, there IS such capability "planned", but it has to be carried out manually by drawing "sprites" from a custom object. I could also create some sort of "slightly faster" pixel drawing function.

In essence we can achieve something much more beautiful than that with DELTA.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » January 7th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Very nicely done, Phyre. The effect is quite convincing, and the fact that it can be done with existing sprites is a bonus. :)

I wonder if maybe some transparency, and perhaps some whiter pixels to give a more foamy look, would enhance the appearance?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » January 7th, 2015, 3:24 pm

I've thought of that already, but after I had already done the animation. It would have been a pain to go back and set the transparency and do another animation. That is something that anybody can do, though, in their custom games.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 2nd, 2015, 5:14 am

I am in the midst of making a new level and thought of something to add... a swinging chain.

swinging-chain.gif
swinging-chain.gif (47.15 KiB) Viewed 237672 times

swinging chain.png
swinging chain.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 237672 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » February 3rd, 2015, 10:14 am

Cool design and idea-might go well in a castle stage!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » June 6th, 2015, 4:12 am

I'm in need of assistance. I'm going back to try to fix up Manky Bars and I'm not really sure what to do to improve it. Here is an animation where I've slightly improved some of the flaws, but please, tell me what needs fixed because I'm having a tough time. I get tunnel vision when I look at these animations after a while, so it gets really difficult to fix things... because it looked like there were a lot of problems in Photoshop, but now that I'm looking at it here, it seems fine.

manky-bars-fixing.gif
manky-bars-fixing.gif (13.34 KiB) Viewed 237222 times

Please, PLEASE give me some feedback. If you guys think that it looks fine, I will stop and give him a sprite sheet and upload it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » June 6th, 2015, 9:20 am

Though you may need to smoothen the animation a little bit more, it seems to be good enough for me.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » June 27th, 2015, 4:18 am

Due to sprites from Diddy Kong Pilot, I have a few new sprites to work with... so because of this, I am going back to redo the animations of both DK and Diddy to make them able to play the DKC3 bonus game and Bleak battle. Here's the first animation, DK throwing the snowball

*EDIT* GIFS deleted

Here's the walk cycle. I'm using Kiddy's animation as a base, so I make sure I get the right amount of frames. I can't upload with the correct frame rate, I don't think, so this may look a little off.

Here are all of the animations together. I'm really happy with it!!!

big-dk-fixed-all-animations.gif
big-dk-fixed-all-animations.gif (59.53 KiB) Viewed 237103 times

Idle, walk, throw, victory, death
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 30th, 2015, 11:43 am

Okay, I'm working on Diddy's.

big-diddy-redo.gif
big-diddy-redo.gif (46.33 KiB) Viewed 237068 times

I know that the animation for his victory thing isn't totally correct. It should be the way it is in DKC. I don't really know the exact order in which they should happen, this is a guess. I don't feel like going in game to figure it out exactly.

Let me know what you think. Please give me some feedback.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » July 11th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Hi Phyreburnz, they look cool.
In my opinion, only the right eye of Diddy needs work in the sequence of victory, it looks strange when he turns his head.
Really, you are drawing good animations!.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » August 8th, 2015, 4:35 am

I was able to do an "in game" preview of DK and Diddy's sprites for the sideshow/Bleak stages. I noticed that Diddy and DK move too much in their idle stance as compared to Kiddy and Dixie. Here is the fixed up DK idle animation.
dk-big-idle-redo.gif
dk-big-idle-redo.gif (3.59 KiB) Viewed 236861 times

Here is the updated sprite sheet for those interested. I'll be fixing Diddy's next.

*EDIT*

Here are Diddy's.

big-diddy-idle-fix.gif
big-diddy-idle-fix.gif (2.42 KiB) Viewed 236852 times

Here is the sprite sheet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » August 27th, 2015, 9:52 am

Thanks a bunch to vege for taking the Super Smash Bros trophy and making the animation and turning it gold. I made it into sprites. I'll be making a bonus room for him... any suggestions on the archetype? :)

squitter-3.gif
squitter-3.gif (1.9 KiB) Viewed 236774 times

golden squitter.png
golden squitter.png (7.49 KiB) Viewed 236774 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Looks good, Phyre! (and vege!) 8D

I like the idea of Squitter (and other buddies from DKC's sequels) having a token bonus room. Personally I think either a bramble environment or the enchanted woods would suit him best, but perhaps brambles should be saved for Squawks? Of course there was no way to die or take damage in DKC's animal bonus rooms, was there... so brambles and bottomless pits don't really fit.

Ah, maybe a hive area would suit Squitter best; he was always great to have on hand to avoid sticking to the honey, and he can certainly handle the verticality. But perhaps the golden tokens + golden honeycomb would be a touch excessive visually, and could make things hard to see properly... :huh:

Maybe I need to reevaluate. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby VideoViking » August 27th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Animal bonus rooms should be void of obstacles and traps. You don't see pitfalls in any of the DKC1 animal rooms. Look at the following:

Rambi - DKC 1 Snow. Slippery valleys and a blocked cliff side.
Enguarde - DKC 1 Coral. Cross paths, coral reefs and secret passage ways.
Expresso - DKC 1 Jungle. Large walls and mountain tops for ostrich gliding.
Winky - DKC 1 Cave. Open space for hopping, two crevices and a blocked cliff side.

Here's what I could envision with the other animal buddies:

Rattly - DKC 2 Ship Mast. Mainbrace Mayhem and Kreepy Krow are married.
Squitter - DKC 2 Honeycomb. A natural sweet spot playground fitting for an eight-legged cross-country arachnid.
Squawks - DKC 3 Cavern. Pot Hole Panic is the model.
Ellie - DKC 3 Waterfall. In the Winky bonus room, there were tires. In Ellie's, you could place barrels riding down a waterfall.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » August 28th, 2015, 1:29 am

I think you're right, Qyz... too much gold. I immediately thought hive too, but now I'm leaning toward enchanted woods.

hive test squitter.png
hive test squitter.png (45.86 KiB) Viewed 236738 times

And that doesn't even have the honey overlay on it...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » August 28th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Can you show us with the overlay? :twisted:

Personally, I think it looks fine just like that(especially since it's a bee-themed area and Squitter is a spider, so stick to bug stuff), even though the tokens are a little hard to see, but then again the bananas are colored in a golden style similar to the tokens, and they don't appear to be impossible for the naked eye to detect normally, so maybe the Squitter stage should be left as is? I dunno, just my opinion.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby vege » August 28th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Good work Phyreburnz, it looks more dkc style now. :thumbs:

Yes, guys, you are right, but the colors should not limit the level design, i think it is possible to change the tone hue (color tone) in some photo editor, in fact, the token of Winky is greenish, so create an alternate color could be useful/valid for these situations.
Attachments
golden squitter blue.png
silver (blue) squitter
golden squitter blue.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 236716 times
golden squitter green2.png
greenish 2
golden squitter green2.png (10.19 KiB) Viewed 236716 times
golden squitter green.png
green 1
golden squitter green.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 236716 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Simion32 » August 28th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Take into account that the token are animated, and the issues fall away for the most part. If you really need to, they could be made of another precious metal, such as Silver or Platinum.

We need to do some shiny copper, bronze, silver, golden, platinum, titanium, diamond token theme colors, complete with shine stars for the precious types (silver and beyond) like the KONG letters have.

It would be interesting to see some collectables placed cleverly that are precious versions of the usual bananas, etc. and can be used as some form of currency somewhere, perhaps for unlockables.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby vege » August 28th, 2015, 2:33 pm

I am doing this model of Squawks, i doubt if it is necessary plumage because it is not really noticeable in a golden pixelated model. Please let me know what you think.
Attachments
squawks 128372431.gif
squawks 128372431.gif (778.31 KiB) Viewed 236704 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » August 30th, 2015, 1:28 am

It isn't really an issue of not being able to see the icons, I think it's more of a gold overload I think. I 'spose you could change the colour of them, but considering that I have been trying to make the three games all compatible with each other, I think I'd rather keep them gold to match the first. Though if somebody wanted, of course, they're more than welcome to change colours around.

Eh, maybe I'll just leave it and use the honey. I think I have an idea on how his bonus room should be laid out, anyway.

For Squawks, I'd like to use brambles, but I would need a way to make them not hurt you, and I'd rather not resort to having invincibility barrels.

Rattly is definitely going to get a ship level. As for Ellie, I'm not totally sure, yet. I don't want to have something where you have to use barrels to get somewhere. The idea is a bonus just to collect as much as possible and that would take away too much time and not match the other styles of bonuses. They are able to use their abilities, but not to an extent where it hinders what they can do. I think Ellie's will be very similar to Rambi's.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » August 31st, 2015, 6:26 am

Golden Squawks is now made! Thanks again, of course, to vege!

golden-squawks.gif
golden-squawks.gif (1.83 KiB) Viewed 236657 times

golden squawks.png
golden squawks.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 236657 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » August 31st, 2015, 7:11 am

Simion32 wrote:We need to do some shiny copper, bronze, silver, golden, platinum, titanium, diamond token theme colors, complete with shine stars for the precious types (silver and beyond) like the KONG letters have.

It would be interesting to see some collectibles placed cleverly that are precious versions of the usual bananas, etc. and can be used as some form of currency somewhere, perhaps for unlockables.

You could even have rubies, jades, emeralds, sapphire, topaz - the possibilities are endless.

Let's keep it within the ROY G. BIV spectrum for now. Instead of golden animal tokens, now we're having animal jewelry.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 3rd, 2015, 8:04 am

These are really neat. I would consider sticking to gold tokens though.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » October 4th, 2015, 2:31 am

I'll be turning Jeffrey's Rattly into a token very soon!

I was wondering if anybody on here had a model of Ellie. That is the last buddy that needs a golden token. I was perhaps going to try my hand at either doing a 3D model, or trying to do it with modeling clay and taking pictures (I think at this point, I'm leaning way toward the clay, I suck at 3D). Please let me know if anybody could help me out with this. We will be adding it to the DKC4 project!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » October 4th, 2015, 6:13 am

It looks nice Jeffrey Bones. :krool:

Phyre, I am bit busy, but i am doing to Ellie, i need photos or sprites of her
Attachments
ellie.jpg
ellie.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 236425 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby doomero » October 4th, 2015, 6:14 am

Wow Phyreburnz good additions, i really want to use Donkey and Diddy animations for the battle against Bleak
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby vege » October 4th, 2015, 11:13 am

Ellie "70% WIP"
Attachments
ellie 0.7.jpg
wip ellie
ellie 0.7.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 236408 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » October 4th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Vege, you're amazing :D

*EDIT*

Golden Rattly!
golden-rattly.gif
golden-rattly.gif (1.63 KiB) Viewed 236387 times

Thanks a bunch, Jeffrey_Bones

*EDIT* I made Rattly's head on the biggest token a little less boxy
golden rattly.png
golden rattly.png (6.18 KiB) Viewed 236359 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » October 4th, 2015, 6:52 pm

What about something like this for Ellie? I was thinking a mill level where the giant token is in a hidden room accessible via trapdoor. I whipped up a concept:

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » October 4th, 2015, 11:38 pm

I like that idea, Cody, but I actually already have all of the bonuses done. I did Ellie's with a waterfall type level.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » October 5th, 2015, 3:17 am

No problem! How'd you end up doing the bonus for Squawks?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » October 5th, 2015, 3:29 am

At first, I had a dkc3 cave, but I didn't like it much.

Then I made a dkc3 cliff, which I like much better.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » October 5th, 2015, 4:59 am

Now I'm curious to see what you've done for all of the other animal buddies - those concepts are really awesome! I'm a huge fan of the cliff idea.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » October 5th, 2015, 5:31 am

Spoilers for large images below.
Clicking on the text links will take you to the file located at my DeviantArt page, where the TIFF files can be downloaded if anybody wants them.
Spoiler!
For Squitter, I first wanted a hive, but I thought that would just be too much yellow. I did the hive anyway:

I did a woods bonus as an alternative to the hive in case it is too much:

And Rattly HAD to have the ship/mast combo:

Ellie
Squwaks cave
Squawks cliff
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » October 5th, 2015, 6:50 am

Phyreburnz, i like your design of bonus for Ellie, but i think that for Squawks a dkc3 forest would looks better (with obstacles and tree hollows).

https://thewiredfish.files.wordpress.co ... w-rage.jpg
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby vege » October 5th, 2015, 6:56 am

I am unable to attach gif files in the mail, i think i must to update something, so:

I hope you like it, I'll leave on your hands now.
Attachments
ellie a2.gif
ellie B 32 frames
ellie a2.gif (1.52 MiB) Viewed 236326 times
ellie a1.gif
ellie A 32 frames
ellie a1.gif (1.53 MiB) Viewed 236326 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Cody » October 5th, 2015, 7:47 am

That Ellie animation looks beautiful, vege!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » October 5th, 2015, 7:53 am

Awesome! Thanks, Vege!

Now here it is sprit-a-fied!
golden-ellie.gif
golden-ellie.gif (1.99 KiB) Viewed 236317 times

golden ellie.png
golden ellie.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 236317 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby doomero » October 5th, 2015, 11:57 am

Wow very nice guys!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby PegasusMan » October 29th, 2015, 10:04 am

These look really cool! Amazing! :thumbs: :nicework:
Previously "Donkey Kong Fan"
Bananas received 8

Postby Phyreburnz » December 1st, 2015, 3:48 am

I took an explosion cloud from DKC2 and elongated it to make a DKL style cloud.

cloud-breaking-apart.gif
cloud-breaking-apart.gif (3.34 KiB) Viewed 235968 times

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks