Playtonic Games and Yooka-Laylee

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Playtonic Games and Yooka-Laylee

Postby Qyzbud » February 13th, 2015, 7:35 pm

If you haven't heard, the gaming world's abuzz with the news that six key ex-Rare developers have gathered to form 'Playtonic Games', and are working on what is being called a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie!

Quotes from the Playtonic website:

Playtonic is a new 'indie' studio formed entirely from veterans of the legendary game developer Rare Ltd.

Having helped create many hits, including the Donkey Kong Country & Banjo Kazooie series of games, we're now on a mission to bring you the video game stars of the future that are inspired by our past!

Sounds good to me. :swanky:

Concept Art

Playtonic character art.jpg
Playtonic character art.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 65440 times

Playtonic environmental art.jpg
Playtonic environmental art.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 65439 times

If they can recapture the magic of Rare's heyday, this will indeed be a studio to watch!

Playtonic Games links:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Playtonic Games — A new life for Rareware?

Postby Tompa » February 14th, 2015, 4:34 am

The hype and excitement for this can NOT be described!!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby MatiZ » February 14th, 2015, 6:46 am

I heard about this. It's great! I wish they could get copyright to Donkey Kong franchise. In the future, it is even possible that they'll work for Nintendo. Now, they are looking for composer. Check out this photo with David Wise: https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/stat ... 48?lang=en
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby Phyreburnz » February 14th, 2015, 7:05 am

That is pretty cool. I don't really keep current with games since I don't have any new systems, but this makes me want to have whatever system they make games for (hopefully PC, since I have one of those already :P )
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » February 14th, 2015, 2:36 pm

I'm so glad that these guys still have a strong passion to create the kind of games that Rareware were known for in the 90s. :D

It sounds like both David Wise and Grant Kirkhope are keen to provide tunes, so that's fantastic! Wise's work is easily some of my favourite music ever written, but a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie just wouldn't be right without Kirkhope's merry melodies. :)

Oh and Phyre, it's perhaps a little hard to read, but that little white label in the corner of the environmental concept art above claims that not only will PC gamers have the opportunity to play this game, but they'll most likely get to play it before the official release, via Steam Early Access — a great opportunity to test it out and let Playtonic know if anything needs tweaking. :geek:

Very exciting times. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gaz » February 15th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I may not get the appropriate system to play this on, but I'm hyped for this big time. Rare (as PlayTonic) might finally be rising from the ashes again. :D

It's a good 6th birthday present for the DKC Atlas. :gift: I'm really hoping that this project is a success.

Qyzbud
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Qyzbud » February 15th, 2015, 9:57 pm

As I mentioned, the game will apparently be available on PC, so that should mean you'll have a chance to play it without having to buy new hardware. Of course, that's not to say it'll run well on your computer — that'll depend on how capable your machine is, and how well optimised/demanding the game is, etc...

And this is actually our 7th birthday, believe it or not; the 6th was last year! Either way, it's nice to be gifted such marvellous news. :)

Spoiler!
You kinda missed the sixth anniversary of the Atlas, so I shouldn't be too surprised:

Gaz wrote:Shoot, I kinda missed the sixth anniversary of the atlas. Anyway, happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I'm sorry for my absence. [link]

Happy Valentine's Day, Gaz :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » February 16th, 2015, 1:32 am

Oh, by the way, Qyz, I was wondering where you were getting the idea that this is the spiritual successor of Banjo-Kazooie. I read everything on their website and didn't see anything about this being specifically a Banjo style game. Is it on their twitter? I don't use twitter so I didn't look there :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » February 16th, 2015, 2:05 am

Well, it has been mentioned and hinted at multiple times by various entities on Twitter and elsewhere, but the best source I can think of at the moment is this scan from Edge Magazine:

https://i.imgur.com/Ziylff9h.jpg (middle column, just below the blue quoted text)

That's pretty compelling, I should think. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » February 21st, 2015, 3:36 pm

I have heard about this before and I am glad to see this happening. Rare may not be the company it once was, but at least the people who used to be there are still making games! There's one thing I'd like to know, though... is there any mention of which consoles this game will come out on? I hope, at the very least, it will show up on Wii U and/or the 3DS. (The Wii U could certainly use it, seeing that it barely has any games...) Not to mention, since Rare used to be close to Nintendo, it would be surprising if this game didn't show up on a Nintendo system...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Phyreburnz » March 23rd, 2015, 8:42 am

Hey, guys! I just wanted to let everybody know that there is now a forum open on Playtonic's website.

Here it is. I've already registered, of course :) Feel free to add me as a friend (of course, I'm Phyreburnz, as always).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Lanky Kong » April 4th, 2015, 11:50 am

*Screams internally to make them do a Donkey Kong Country Returns 3*
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby dudery » April 9th, 2015, 3:45 am

if they do make a returns 3 i hope the kremlings come back....speaking of the kremlings playtonic games said that they support k rool for smash.

its nice to see some support from big people.
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » May 1st, 2015, 5:48 am

Playtonic released the images of their characters today!!!! Yooka and Laylee are their names.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: Playtonic Games and Yooka-Laylee

Postby MatiZ » May 1st, 2015, 9:28 pm

Some screenshots:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby Tompa » May 2nd, 2015, 7:40 am

Hahaha!! 4 hours and over £600K :D:D:D:D.

Time to donate some more as well! I absolutely love this!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Phyreburnz » May 2nd, 2015, 10:41 pm

God.. I feel guilty... I just upped my backing money to include the boxed PC version of the game... The gamer in me really really wants a physical copy... :gnawty-lol: (p.s. < most appropriate emoticon ever for this situation...)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby MatiZ » May 3rd, 2015, 12:12 am

I'm so happy to hear David Wise's Jungle Challenge. I admit that is very familiar to some beach levels in DKC:TF.
<checking kickstarter>
Oh, It's over 1 milion! Guys, they made it!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby Qyzbud » May 3rd, 2015, 2:11 am

I knew there was love for this team and their creations, but I'm amazed by the outpouring of contributions and chattering thus far. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby S.T. BUGMAN III » May 5th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Laylee has a Chris Sanders look about her.

Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Simion32 » May 8th, 2015, 1:36 pm

They've hit well over 2 million euros pounds. It just keeps going! :D

I fully expect them to have a massive amount of monetary headroom.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tompa » June 16th, 2015, 8:12 pm

And they have now hit over 2 millions!! All stretch goals are met!!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby BlueTronic » July 11th, 2015, 1:05 am

Used my soundfonts and an SNES reverb simulator to recreate Jungle Challenge with DKC2 samples
https://soundcloud.com/blue_tronic/jungle-challenge
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Return to Gaming Discussion