Improvements in DKC Remakes

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Improvements in DKC Remakes

Postby Valerius Dover » December 7th, 2014, 11:02 pm

This is kind of a follow-up to Gaz's thread about what COULD be improved in the remakes. The question is, in your opinions, what changes that WERE made were for the better? My examples would be:

-New minigames are fun
-Being able to save whenever you want is convenient
-New cutscenes in 1 and 2 are really nice to see
-The Cast Parades at the ends of 1 and 2 are a lot more creative than the originals

Those are just a few thoughts that I can come up with at the moment.
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Re: Improvements in DKC Remakes

Postby Qyzbud » December 8th, 2014, 6:41 pm

It's been a while since I played any of the DKC ports/remakes, but one thing I really like about the GBA version of the first DKC game is the extra scenery and wildlife present in various environments; parrots, little lizards and mist in jungles; bats in caves; new foregrounds in mines, forests, temples, etc.

Did the sequels get any such additions to liven up the levels? I really must play through all of the DKC ports one of these days... I never even knew about the clever changes to the character parades, so thanks for the tip — they are improved quite a bit. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gaz » December 9th, 2014, 6:00 am

I never thought I'd see the day where Qyzbud would appreciate something about the DKC GBA trilogy more than the original trilogy's. :? Anyway, I'll give my input:

DKC GBC
Not meaning to advertise/pollute the Atlas with site promotion, but I have a site devoted to the heavily frowned upon DKC GBC port: http://dkccolorshrine.webs.com/.

* Crosshair Cranky & Funky's Fishing are fun mini-games. The former is like a whole new adventure.
* Candy's Challenges were nice.
* Autosave after finishing a level.
* Necky Nutmare is an excellent new level.
* The Sticker Pads for the Sticker Book (not to be confused with Scrapbook from the GBA re-release) are nice to collect.
** Further pushing it, the Game Boy Printer is a nice add-on, and they associated it with this game. You can even make banners to print from it.
* Winky's Walkway was extended for this re-release.
* Unlockables are in this game. They really catch my attention.
* Childhood nostalgia...

DKC GBA
While I thought this game was a faithful and fun port to DKC SNES, I wish it weren't made because there is the heavily underrated DKC GBC port. Okay, well maybe not that. The thing that I don't like is that Rare put most of their effort in to this GBA port even though DKC was already ported to the GBC three years prior its release. Its sequels were not as of yet. List:

* Funky's Fishing was a really good mini-game. I like how they took it from DKC GBC.
* The Cast of Characters took place in Gangplank Galleon. I think it's a more appropriate area for it to take place at. The land enemies are logically displayed on the ship deck while the underwater foes in the surrounding waters. Not all on land. I didn't like how they removed Cranky's dialogue: "I played this game with one life & beat it under an hour."
* DK Attack, a time attack mode, is sure to get the players addicted.
* Very Gnawty's cameo in DK's Treehouse after Really Gnawty's defeat in Gorilla Glacier was an unexpected Easter egg. It's especially funny how it jumps out the treehouse, scared.
* You can contact Funky on the world map after visiting him at Funky's Flights.
* An opening sequence gives us a good idea of why DK and Diddy go on an adventure, especially if you don't have a game manual.

DKC2 GBA
* The Scrapbook
* Has an awesome defunct site that may or may not be forever lost in history.
* While Diddy's Dash was a good idea, it wasn't very well developed. (see my other topic)
* I know people will probably disagree with me here, but Klubba having his own mini-game—Bag a Bug—makes it fun to visit him.
* Expresso's Racing was a decent mini-game.
* Like DKC GBA, the game has an opening sequence. It shows players how the adventure starts if they lack the game paraphernalia, like its manual.
** Speaking of which, the game has more cutscenes.
* Big, big childhood factor. Makes me look back with a big smile on my face.

DKC3 GBA
* The Brothers Bears locations are redesigned so that they don't all look like cabins. They were rather changed based on what their purpose is.
* Pacifica was a nice new world for the game. :)
* The action-like music gives the GBA re-release a whole new atmosphere. I remember at one point getting sick of it, however.
* Funky's Rentals mini-game challenges were fun. I don't care what others think: they were good mini-game challenges.

That's all I have for now. I might update this post if I find more improvements. Thanks for making this topic, Valerius Dover. :banana:
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » December 10th, 2014, 10:21 am

I did really like the Necky Nutmare level. I would love to have a true DKC-style (SNES, I mean) version of the level.

I actually liked the GBC DKC game. I didn't even realize that a lot of people didn't.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » December 10th, 2014, 11:28 am

Phyre, you're probably the only other person I know who appreciates the DKC GBC port for what it is. Banana for you. :banana:
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Valerius Dover » December 11th, 2014, 3:28 am

I would totally play the GBC version if it were released on Virtual Console or something.

Anyway, besides those things, I really like how the music was handled in all three games overall. Maybe I should post my thoughts on each and every track and which I prefer. Don't know whether to make a new thread or hijack my own. :scratch:
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » December 11th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Having just now played through a bit of DKC GBA, I've noticed something else I like; the Millstones rotate much more smoothly.

It seems that rather than just cycling/replacing certain tiles every so often, as the SNES version seems to do, the GBA Millstones are actually based on a smoothly rotated graphic that updates every frame. This effect looks much nicer, in my opinion. :)

Gaz wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where Qyzbud would appreciate something about the DKC GBA trilogy more than the original trilogy's.

I'm always willing to give the GBA teams credit where it's due — even if it does feel like searching for a needle in a hideous haystack most of the time. :P

Some other aspects of DKC GBA that may deserve credit:

• Feathers float down when Neckies are defeated (both kinds)
  • Bonus Barrels are labelled — like in DKC2 and DKC3
  • Bonus Areas have intro screens — like in DKC2 and DKC3 (this could be seen as an improvement, or potentially an annoyance)
  • Zingers turn to face you — like in DKC3
  • Map screen marvels; they may be ugly, but the world maps offer some extras:
    • Environmental visual/sound effects
      • Animated snow
      • Howling wind
    • More expansive than SNES map screens
    • Foreground scenery (Kongs walk behind certain elements)

So, I am finding some things to appreciate as I play through the game, but these things do little to make up for the overall ugliness and awkwardness of the game. :|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Valerius Dover » January 21st, 2015, 6:25 am

So, looking back at this, I think I can add one thing. I think Rattly controls tighter on GBA than on SNES. Weird.
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby Kingizor » January 21st, 2015, 6:46 am

One of the subtle differences I quite like is that Squitter's webs move relative to his movement speed. That is to say a web fired while running will move faster than if you were walking or stationary.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Valerius Dover » January 22nd, 2015, 11:09 am

^Oh, nice! I never thought about that, but replaying the games (which I've been doing recently, both versions of each) I've noticed this!
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Return to General DKC Discussion