Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby spaceman2028 » December 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Sal looks alright for the most part. He could act like a combination of Squawks and Enguarde, being able to fly and perform a melee jabbing attack.
Basically, it's a land equivalent of Enguarde who can fly much like Squawks.

Phyreburnz wrote:In Gex, there is a zombie gecko enemy, so maybe he could be used for DKC? They are probably similar enough styles. I was thinking about having a bunch of them in the pits of the graveyard.

Whoa, hold up Phyreburnz-I just got hold of another radical idea(which I cannot believe I didn't come up with earlier myself):

You know how the zombie gecko enemies are essentially lizards?
Most lizards are reptiles.
Kremlings are a species of Crocodile, which are reptiles.

Why am i mentioning this? Because, if you think about it, there's another series where the main enemy is reptillian, and those particular enemies could pair well with the kremlings...

(Another good synergy is among the reptiles i'm talking about is that the main type has an undead version. That could go well with the zombie geckos and maybe the ghost kremlings.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby ZillyZango » December 7th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Hey guys...look at what I made... using the scrubby gifmaker...Yipee... I had an idea for a Klaptrap to spit out coconuts, named Kocoklap. :/
http://gifmaker.me/PlayFrameAnimation.php?folder=2014120616TPeqJmvg03JQ6g7RQLRC0X -It walking, I guess...Kind of messed up.
http://gifmaker.me/PlayFrameAnimation.php?folder=2014120617uUBkZGrcI2uDIHnUN3wrsA -It being "idle" and spitting out a coconut.

I understand that the sprite bounces around a lot, but I just want to get the general idea across. If someone can me with a better gif making place, I'll use that. Until then, bare with my krap gifs. :shakehead:
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Phyreburnz » December 8th, 2014, 4:34 am

ZillyZango, do you have photoshop? That's what I use for all of my animations. I take bits and pieces from different frames and add them all together. Sometimes, I have to rotate sprites, for which I use rotsprite. In photoshop, you have to set all tolerance levels to 0. If you do rotate, size up, or size down, you have to set it to "nearest neighbor," although, I suggest using rotsprite for most of that, too.

Here's an example of what I mean. This animation isn't finished, yet. Keep that in mind!

zombie-kremling-preview.gif
zombie-kremling-preview.gif (6 KiB) Viewed 159430 times

I took sprites from Kritter, Kaboing, and Klomp (after I recoloured them to match Kritter). I took hands, arms, legs, feet, bodies, and heads and put them all together. If you notice, the animation is very similar to the zombie gecko from Gex that I ripped. This is because, at first, I matched all of the pieces as best as I could to the Gex sprites. I find that if there is another animation out there that is what you want, it is best to have that at the bottom of the layers and do your best to match each part as best you can with what you have. Of course, don't forget that you can rotate things too. I don't like to combine all of my layers until I'm sure that all of the pieces are where I want them.

After that, I do test animations and see what needs to be moved where. I frequently will be just about ready to post an animation here on the Atlas and tweak things several more times before I upload. I find it helpful to view it on a normal web page.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ZillyZango » December 8th, 2014, 5:03 am

Phyreburnz wrote:ZillyZango, do you have photoshop? That's what I use for all of my animations. I take bits and pieces from different frames and add them all together. Sometimes, I have to rotate sprites, for which I use rotsprite. In photoshop, you have to set all tolerance levels to 0. If you do rotate, size up, or size down, you have to set it to "nearest neighbor," although, I suggest using rotsprite for most of that, too.

Here's an example of what I mean. This animation isn't finished, yet. Keep that in mind!

zombie-kremling-preview.gif

I took sprites from Kritter, Kaboing, and Klomp (after I recoloured them to match Kritter). I took hands, arms, legs, feet, bodies, and heads and put them all together. If you notice, the animation is very similar to the zombie gecko from Gex that I ripped. This is because, at first, I matched all of the pieces as best as I could to the Gex sprites. I find that if there is another animation out there that is what you want, it is best to have that at the bottom of the layers and do your best to match each part as best you can with what you have. Of course, don't forget that you can rotate things too. I don't like to combine all of my layers until I'm sure that all of the pieces are where I want them.

After that, I do test animations and see what needs to be moved where. I frequently will be just about ready to post an animation here on the Atlas and tweak things several more times before I upload. I find it helpful to view it on a normal web page.

I do have Photoshop. I used MSPaint to recolour and put the sprites around and a tiny bit of Photoshop in an attempt to clean it up.

Maybe that's not the best idea? I do use Photoshop for a lot of things, and layers get me every time. Layers in photoshop is really complicated for me. :dixiecry: And by the way, what do you use to get your Gifs and post them here?
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Phyreburnz » December 8th, 2014, 7:20 am

Layers are your friend! I can't use "simple" programs because I love layers. I use photoshop to make the gifs.

zombie-kremling-test-2.gif
zombie-kremling-test-2.gif (6.86 KiB) Viewed 159410 times

Should I keep the gecko head thing (hair and stitches) on the Kremling body?

I'll change the colours later. I'm just getting the animation down. I definitely want it to be a different colour from the regular Krems.

*EDIT* This is what it would look like going across a scene.

kremetery-zombie.gif
kremetery-zombie.gif (117.18 KiB) Viewed 159397 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ZillyZango » December 8th, 2014, 9:37 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Layers are your friend! I can't use "simple" programs because I love layers. I use photoshop to make the gifs.

The attachment zombie-kremling-test-2.gif is no longer available

Should I keep the gecko head thing (hair and stitches) on the Kremling body?

I'll change the colours later. I'm just getting the animation down. I definitely want it to be a different colour from the regular Krems.

*EDIT* This is what it would look like going across a scene.

The attachment kremetery-zombie.gif is no longer available

I don't know if you had a colour already for it, but I think it'd look cool in a dark or yellowish palette.

And also I made two animations.

I know I cut down the number of frames in Parry's animation. Its supposed to look like that. A more flapping animation instead of a rotating wings one.
Attachments
Lemguin.gif
Lemguin.gif (15.47 KiB) Viewed 159387 times
pallyparry.gif
pallyparry.gif (9.18 KiB) Viewed 159387 times
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby vege » December 8th, 2014, 10:37 am

Hi, great work.

I Like the new look of Parry, she/he looks more robust than the original.

I prefer the zombie with hair, it looks "Frankenstein-ish", a name derived from his aspect could work. :thumbs:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby ZillyZango » December 8th, 2014, 10:40 am

vege wrote:Hi, great work.

I Like the new look of Parry, she/he looks more robust than the original.

I prefer the zombie with hair, it looks "Frankenstein-ish", a name derived from his aspect could work. :thumbs:

Frankremsteine?

Kremlinstein?

Or something completely new?

:scratch:
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Phyreburnz » December 8th, 2014, 10:51 am

ZillyZango, there is no need to quote the whole post of the person above you.

I was thinking "Kreature," although I do like "Frankremstein." I was leaning toward "Kreature" since the Frankenstein monster doesn't have a name (Frankenstein is the Doctor).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ZillyZango » December 8th, 2014, 11:21 am

Ah.

Where I come from Frankenstein is both the Doctor and monster.

Kreature sounds good, too.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby CatLoverMolly » December 8th, 2014, 11:27 am

Around here, it's technically Frankenstein's Monster but most people just abbreviate it to Frankenstein (which actually rather irks me). I think Kreature is good.
ZillyZango, what's the Lemguin for?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby spaceman2028 » December 8th, 2014, 11:44 am

K. Rool already used the Frankenstein name in DKC3(Baron K. Roolenstein), but i still think names such as Kremlinstein(which sounds more clear to me) would work. Another good name would probably be Krem-Dead, since he's a zombie kremling.

Oh yeah, you guys all missed my one post about that gex enemy used for the kremling zombie. Might help out with the fan-game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby vege » December 8th, 2014, 12:13 pm

which one Spaceman?

Kreature sounds nice,
an alternative name could be Kryptar, it is derived from crypt (tomb)
or Krypter (a fusion between Krypt and terror)

(sorry for my bad english)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby ZillyZango » December 8th, 2014, 12:21 pm

CatLoverMolly wrote:ZillyZango, what's the Lemguin for?

Nothing really. It was more of a display of my "gif making animation" abilities. It doesn't really serve a function.

But Parry has a bit more of a use, possibly paving the way for a different bird animal animation.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby vege » December 8th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Maybe the animation of the lemguin could be useful for under-ice stage (water)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby ZillyZango » December 8th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I am...not too sure why it got weird. If someone can make a fluidier version, with the front of the body going down when the wings go up and the back part reaches up when it "flaps"?

It DOES only have 3 frames, this one. I was trying my best with making the more visible wing curled... :shakehead: It doesn't look right when you shade that part, behind the black body.

And yeah, this is my swimming Lemguin.
Attachments
Swimguin.gif
Swimguin.gif (8.41 KiB) Viewed 159325 times
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby leo_core » December 8th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Cat, thanks for the work, I am studying the frames and then say how it will look. I know it took a lot of work, thank you even.
Great concepts here folks! We are working hard to produce the demo, so we are a little absent from the forum.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » December 8th, 2014, 2:55 pm

CatLoverMolly
You can send me the model of the Sassy and your Brawlbox project saved with the animations? The Sassy resolution is very low compared to other Kongs. I need to check something (I even need to load the project and understand how the export works).
Do not worry, his work was not in vain.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby spaceman2028 » December 9th, 2014, 3:29 am

vege, it's at the top of this page. The post is in regards to Kremlinstein.

The sprites for the swimming lemguin need some work, but other than that it looks great.

I don't like the stationary Parry animation very much. What exactly was it that caused you to change it, as proper use of the sprite might make it look better?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby ZillyZango » December 9th, 2014, 4:26 am

I felt that Parry looked kind of too weak in my opinion. The flapping wings makes it seem like Parry knows how to properly fly, since he kind of fluttered in DKC3. I thought maybe in DKC4 he could have gotten stronger.

And I don't know if you have the levels planned out, but for for Vine Village, there was this level I had in mind called Khaotic Kavern. Its gimmick is occasionally a bunch of zingers (or bats) sweep through the screen, and you have to duck down so you don't get hit. I can imagine a few moments of Kuchukas and Klap-Traps trying to hinder you. I don't know if you can even work, but it might hold the way for something better. I'm really just speculating here, cuz I got no idea on what you guys already have planned. :dixiecry:
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Gaz » December 9th, 2014, 6:01 am

This is a big project collaboration. Nice work, guys. :) Just how many are working on this game?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby CatLoverMolly » December 11th, 2014, 12:51 pm

It's a sort of 'contribute-whatever' thing as far as I understand. If anyone wants to help create something, they can. It's how I got involved with the team.
'Official' team members who have, for lack of a better term, shout-outs in the game intro (or rather, will by next demo), there's Kalango and Leo, obviously, NecroToad, Marvin Portello, myself and Phyre, and then there are Allan, Matheus and Christopher from the DKC4 blog who've gotten some really awesome ideas out there. Then we have Zane with his in-progress Cheetah (though it's a shame he hasn't popped up recently) and now ZillyZango helping as well.

@Leo, here you go.
FitSassy00.zip
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 1539 times

One idea I had was perhaps Sal could be Sassy's pet. He could sit on a perch in Sassy's Shore. :vglol:

EDIT: What would you guys think of a new Minecart-style level? There's the actual minecarts, the skull coasters, and the toboggans, a new style each game, so DKC4 should be no different.
I know there was an idea on the Atlas of a Kart archetype.
kart.PNG
kart.PNG (3.34 KiB) Viewed 159148 times

DKCFanGameCartscopy.gif
DKCFanGameCartscopy.gif (4.5 KiB) Viewed 159148 times

KrashKartDeathSpritecopy.gif
KrashKartDeathSpritecopy.gif (13.97 KiB) Viewed 159148 times
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby ZillyZango » December 12th, 2014, 5:15 am

Sal could actually work as Cat said B/ or be one of those easter eggs like Wrinkly's Save Cave where he shows up occasionally in houses or during levels and he gives you some bananas or whatever. Might be a bit too random and late to add in now, though.

Perhaps the style of levels those Karts could be in include riverside, urban, and mountains? :nicework: Maybe even amusement parks if you want to bring those back.

I don't know if you have a name for those KrashKart Kremlings (unless you wanted to keep the name KartKrash) but I thought about Go-Krash because its a bit like a Go-Kart shape. Its the best name I have, the other one I have is Kart-Krat (have to twist your mind around the prefixes and suffixes of the Kritter naming to understand)
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby vege » December 12th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Spaceman: Yes, i am reading your idea, that would be ok, i agree with you.

Cat Lover :
I would love to see these karts in desert-jungle-bridges race, it would look like as Rally Dakar ( made in Donkey Kong Land) :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby CatLoverMolly » December 12th, 2014, 2:08 pm

I love the idea of Sal randomly appearing in a level to swoop by with some gift, probably some kind of +50 (Golden?) banana or a life balloon, but really rarely. That could go wonderfully with him appearing (about 1/5th of the time maybe?) in Sassy's Shore.

For the karts, I was thinking the Kart Kritter could be called Krack or Kollide. And level-wise, I think they'd work best in urban, riverside/boardwalk, jungle, desert or factory. Anything else would be rather odd.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby ZillyZango » December 12th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Sal the Gifting Swoopy :P

He can appear in hidden areas or maybe even in an obvious path, but he'd still be really rare, so you have a chance to come across him without looking for other areas.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby spaceman2028 » December 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm

I don't really think having Sal as an easter egg might be worth. I'd rather go with my old idea of having him as a flying version of Enguarde.
And if the cheetah, Spike, and Kersplash come back, try to add them in if possible.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CountryFan » December 12th, 2014, 4:33 pm

CatLoverMolly wrote:I was thinking the Kart Kritter could be called Krack or Kollide.

Kollide, since we already have Kracka.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby vege » December 23rd, 2014, 1:45 am

I tried to edit the gif by ZillyZango but i failed, so i did this one
Attachments
swimming1c.gif
lemguin swimming
swimming1c.gif (1.52 KiB) Viewed 158842 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby vege » December 23rd, 2014, 2:35 am

here the transparent version of the lemguin swimming (4 frames):
Attachments
swimming 1c transp.gif
transparent gif
swimming 1c transp.gif (1.25 KiB) Viewed 158835 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby CatLoverMolly » December 25th, 2014, 2:46 am

Merry Christmas, guys!
Looking forward to the demo :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby leo_core » December 26th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Merry Christmas! :gift:
We're a little absent from the forum because we are working tirelessly in the demo (I spent Christmas night working on it).
In fact we are working day and night without stop and we are delighted with the results, we're sure will surprise you guys! In this demo we will have 8 levels with two bonus for each level.
Current progress statistics:

Customizable controls: 100%
Map: 100%
Menus: 100%
Save system: 100%
Levels: 80%
Boss: 50%

So there is not much to do, we are with the level design in progress and fixing some minor flaws. It's been quite exhausting but it is worth the effort. :thumbs:
After we release this demo, we back to talk about customizations we are discussing here. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby CatLoverMolly » December 27th, 2014, 2:22 pm

I'm just dying to see how everyone's hard work is paying off :dixiehappy: Take all the time you need to polish it and make sure it runs well; the longer wait will just make it that much more sweet when the demo arrives.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby sonosublime » December 27th, 2014, 2:52 pm

leo_core wrote:Merry Christmas! :gift:
We're a little absent from the forum because we are working tirelessly in the demo (I spent Christmas night working on it).
In fact we are working day and night without stop and we are delighted with the results, we're sure will surprise you guys! In this demo we will have 8 levels with two bonus for each level.
Current progress statistics:

Customizable controls: 100%
Map: 100%
Menus: 100%
Save system: 100%
Levels: 80%
Boss: 50%

So there is not much to do, we are with the level design in progress and fixing some minor flaws. It's been quite exhausting but it is worth the effort. :thumbs:
After we release this demo, we back to talk about customizations we are discussing here. ;)

Merry Christmas to you! Good luck, and I can't wait for the demo.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby leo_core » December 29th, 2014, 1:42 am

Thanks for the kind words!
We need the roms of 3 DKC with save state (or save file) with all levels open to check and compare how the physics of some Kremlings on the SNES (can be genie game code if you have one).
Would anyone have this? We will give credit to the game to help, thank you!

EDIT
Solved, ignore this message.

MODERATOR EDIT:
Remember, asking for ROMs here is against forum rules, but asking for save states and SRM save files is not.
I'll let this one pass with a warning. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » January 2nd, 2015, 6:00 am

Simion, I'm sorry, I forgot that! #)
Guys,
*** HAPPY NEW YEAR! ***
Peace, health and happiness for all of us!

We stopped just a little bit for the New Year's Eve celebrations but we are again active. I believe another two weeks and finally we will demo ready as we want it to be!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » January 2nd, 2015, 6:44 am

Phyre, where the bg layers of the Kremlantis level?
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » January 3rd, 2015, 3:30 am

Phyre, one of level for demo will be in bee hive, the engine needs to be done to arrest kongs on the honey. You have the sprites of DK and Kiddy attached to the honey?
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

EDIT:
Found ithere:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1405&p=28219&hilit=honey#p28219
Ignore the request and thank you. I had already found the bg layers of the Kremlantis I had asked earlier also, sorry for the confusion. These days teem been speed up with the release of this new demo.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby CatLoverMolly » January 23rd, 2015, 9:55 am

Hey everyone! It's Molly popping in to let you know that things are going well :dixiehappy:

The demo is currently in the beta testing phase, getting all the bugs and such ironed out before release.
If you guys aren't following DKC4's Facebook page, you might want to; any news that's not here or on the DKC4 blog is probably there.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DKC4/131410793648118
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby Phyreburnz » January 23rd, 2015, 12:03 pm

I'm sure the demo release will be coming very soon! I can almost taste it! :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » February 2nd, 2015, 2:33 am

Wicked awesome. My wish was to play that Fungi Forest-based level, and it's almost coming true! That's really cool how you can play as all four Kongs. I do have a suggestion, however: will the levels be challenging or have more complicated layouts? It is what makes a good game.

When the demo is released, I'll see if I can find anything in it for you to improve or fix.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » February 2nd, 2015, 2:49 am

Well... I made a lot of levels and was able to test some of them out... I did make my levels a bit challenging, so hopefully you'll enjoy it and hopefully it won't be too frustrating (fungi forest was pretty tough!).

The demo is going to be coming out soon. It is just taking a little bit more time than anticipated, so that is why they released a video. Hopefully the full demo will be out soon, though!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » February 6th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Great work, hiperkalango. I know you aren't doing it all by yourself, but you're still important. To everyone involved, continue fulfilling your dreams! Work hard! Be the best you can! Know that your labors don't go unnoticed, and that they will bear fruit in the end!

:thumbs: GO TEAM DONKEY KONG! :thumbs:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby GhostThrow » February 6th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:they will bear fruit in the end!

And there's a good chance they'll be banana's :krool: lol

Hi everyone! And to the creators of this great game- I literally made an account just to tell you how fantabulous it all is, my brothers and I are huge fans of the DKC series and we're ecstatic to see updates on this game! Keep up the great work and all that! :funky:
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 11th, 2015, 2:46 am

Hey Guys,
My name is Samuel Buechele and I love the DKC music. Especially by David Wise. I'm a composer as well and I wanted to ask if you guys need a few tracks for DKC4? I'm using the DKC Soundfonts. Write me back if you are interested ;)
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Phyreburnz » February 11th, 2015, 7:22 am

Hiya, Samuel! Welcome to the forum. I think we'd all love to see what you have, so please do share! We are always looking for more people to help out with the project.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby thetoad11 » February 11th, 2015, 11:56 am

Oh, if you guys are looking for composers (I thought you guys were really all set in that department) I'd love to contribute as well. I mean, I do, in fact, do more than just the DKC music fusions with my musical abilities.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks