Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 30th, 2014, 8:05 am

You definitely have a point, but red as default is the tradition in the snes DKC games, and DK is the default 1st player. People automatically associate DK with that red lettered barrel. If the banana colors were bein changed to match DK64 I would agree, but I think the current scheme is the way to go.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby CatLoverMolly » September 30th, 2014, 8:07 am

Here's a flip animation for the DKC2/3/4 barrel.
I indexed this before I made it and started fiddling with the perspective tool, so everything can be changed around with palettes.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby spaceman2028 » September 30th, 2014, 8:29 am

Simion that's a pretty good start(although you forgot eddie the yeti, DK Jr. and some of sonosublime's characters). Only thing is that we only had the four kongs of the DKC snes series and Cranky as the characters of the series thus far. Making everyone else work would take way too long.

(Also, Chunky's color was green and i think Lanky's was either brown or blue, if Tiny's were not purple.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 30th, 2014, 2:45 pm

As usual before I go to bed, I sit down and scribble in my notebook silly nothings to help come up with ideas for various things. As I was doing so yesterday, I came up with this. This is a small fraction of the page I used for mostly Donkey Kong related ideas. If you wanna see more, well... Maybe I can take a picture of the rest, though there isn't much to show. I just wanted to show you what I came up with. I originally drew a picture of Donkey Kong riding a rather dumb looking cheetah with Charlie Brown style leg-warmers. Then I realized that a stupid dumb cheetah is unappealing! I-a must-a add-a the charm-a and appeal-a! So I did. The right-most picture was my attempt to add appeal.

There's also a derpy picture of an Incan kremling. But that's besides the point. Anyways, I have changed the model accordingly and tried to match the concept art a little better:

Keep in mind, there is still a ways to go on the model. I am going to try and detail the fur a little better, add more leg-warmers, and etc. Plus the animating will add that pizzazz that I put into the concept art, so don't be thrown off by the static stance of the model. Tell me what you think! If you like the old version better or perhaps you would like me to go in a different direction, let me know! I have the quick saves still and there's no problem going back. In my opinion, the stockings and eye shade is a little.... gawdy. But I mean, it's also not bad either.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 30th, 2014, 2:51 pm

I like it! :D

I also like your little sketches. The dumb cheetah is pretty funny. :lol: I'd love to see more of your sketches. They're pretty awesome!

If you're unsure about the colour, you could always just test some different stuff out on photoshop till you find something you like.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby CatLoverMolly » September 30th, 2014, 10:46 pm

That looks great!
I love that dumb Cheetah; I would love to see that face be used for the hurt animation :gnawty-lol:
I'm going to be the one to ask: You said you might take a picture of the rest and I for one would love to see it, you're really creative!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 1st, 2014, 5:04 am

Have you thought about how the cheetah will contribute to the game? What is it's special ability?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 1st, 2014, 5:32 am

Zane you are very talented, his cheeetah has personality!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby zaneebaslave » October 1st, 2014, 8:53 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:Have you thought about how the cheetah will contribute to the game? What is it's special ability?

Well, I may have conflicting ideas on the way the cheetah should be in comparison to the other people on the project think it should. I think the cheetah should almost work like it's own level: Kind of like how Squawks usually worked as an essential aspect in some levels in DKC2. These levels will be very fast-paced (ergo, cheetah) with very few platforming obstacles as not to break the flow. As to the content of these levels that would differentiate these levels from a mine cart level, I don't know.

The reason I feel like this is the best option is because DK levels are not all that well designed for high-speeds. Espresso the ostrich is fast, of course, but even she needs pretty customized levels for that type of speed.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby leo_core » October 2nd, 2014, 4:16 am

A post was created in our page on facebook for everyone to suggest a name for the cheetah. Thereby we are being democratic.
Who wants to make a suggestion, please visit:
https://pt-br.facebook.com/pages/DKC4/131410793648118

Zane, their ideas about the skills are consistent. Take this opportunity to say again that your job is getting amazing! :thumbs:

Here was thinking what are the skills of the Cheetah. I believe she should have different skills that distinguish him from the other animals.
1 - She walks faster than others.
2 - She jump higher than others.
3 - Keep the insured action button makes it load a roar when fired, creates a small vortex of wind is which triggered and kills Krems when it collides against them. (like a Squitter web attack)

Sorry my bad English. So to illustrate this attack, something like this:

Anyone would like to give more suggestions?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » October 2nd, 2014, 4:44 am

A hurricane attack like that would be too strong for the cheetah. Maybe a sonic-boom styled projectile would be more appropriate than a hurricane.

(King Of Fighters fan, Leo?)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby leo_core » October 2nd, 2014, 5:03 am

Would be much lower than this hurricane, I posted this gif just to illustrate the idea.
(I like KOF because of combos, but I like more the Mortal Kombat xD)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » October 2nd, 2014, 5:13 am

I need a little help here, can someone post the sound Parry when he dies please?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby spaceman2028 » October 2nd, 2014, 5:32 am

In the snes version, i think parry's death cry is the same as the booty bird. Unless you are talking about the GBA port...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 2nd, 2014, 5:34 am

Maybe at full speed the cheetah can dash through enemies and can wall jump?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 2nd, 2014, 6:08 am

spaceman2028 wrote:In the snes version, i think parry's death cry is the same as the booty bird. Unless you are talking about the GBA port...

Yes, you right. I downloaded a save state here and played Rocket Barrel Ride level. Parry no have a sound on die.
Well, I edited the sound of beating wings from Squawks to get a little more fast sound of beating wings to use in Parry. I'll edit here a sound to when he dies.

Tonberry2000 wrote:Maybe at full speed the cheetah can dash through enemies and can walk jump?

Hey Ton, this is a very interesting idea!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » October 2nd, 2014, 6:18 am

Here are my thoughts.
She should have to hit a button to kill enemies even when running, making her different than Rambi. I think she should be similar to a cart in that she can get a boost of speed when touching a plus barrel, minus barrels would slow her down. She shouldn't be able to jump as far as Expresso, except when hitting multiple plus barrels. After she hits a plus barrel or two, maybe then she should be able to run though enemies to kill them. Real cheetahs are the only large cats that can't roar, so maybe she could growl and have it act like young Simba and stun enemies for a brief time. She should just walk fast, like Expresso, but faster. I think maybe when she hits a plus barrel that she should keep going until hitting a minus barrel, making her sort of similar to Ellie in stampede sprint.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby zaneebaslave » October 2nd, 2014, 9:06 am

I like that idea, phyreburnz. It also helps my idea for a new boss! :krool:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » October 2nd, 2014, 10:19 am

Really now? I get ideas outta nowhere all the time and then this? Oh well, nobody cares since we have 3 bosses coming along already, 1 is in the game being programmed whilst the other 2 and still in the works.

I once had an idea of a fight similar to KAOS of DKC3 where you fought a miniature moving fortress with razor blade tires and a curved fist in the top of the machine that moves down hitting the ground almost instantly once it starts moving. Rediculous i know, but the boss(referred to as "Razar") itself, piloted by a kremling, does not move very fast, and because it's face opens up just to fire a cannon similar to Kaptain K Rool's Blunderbus(from it's mouth rigged with sharp teeth), it's possible to do serious damage with Kannonballs, TNT, or some other kind of throwable projectile.

Also, in the DKC cartoon, Krusha is indentified as K. Rool's bodygaurd. Could this mean a boss krusha would be fought?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » October 4th, 2014, 5:13 am

spaceman2028 wrote:Really now? I get ideas outta nowhere all the time and then this? Oh well, nobody cares since we have 3 bosses coming along already, 1 is in the game being programmed whilst the other 2 and still in the works.

... I am having trouble understanding whether this is just a regular remark, or an angry remark. Do you mind clarifying?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » October 4th, 2014, 6:32 am

Kritzosaurus is in the game already but needs huge revamps. That's the first boss.
The other two still in the works are Mr. X and Karni Kong.

And no it is not an angry remark. I don't even know what those are!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » October 4th, 2014, 10:32 am

Okay, sorry. I didn't know what you meant, there. Yes, I saw the Kritzosaurus on one of the videos just recently. As for Karni Kong, I still am not sure if he is a done deal. It depends, of course, if it has been considered by the team whether they want him in there or not. If he is wanted, then I'll bring him back.

Anyways, I am posting some very small, miniscule progress on the cheetah. She is not animated yet, which is the next step. I need to watch many cheetah documentaries of how they run and walk in the wild, as well as any other quirky cheetah things they might do. I think I am very happy with the model now, though. I edited the lighting a bit so that she fits in better with DK and have made her (Just a tad bit) smaller as to try and make her more reasonable in size (She's still bigger then Rambi, sorry). Here is a mock-up picture to show what she looks like in game!

And there is a tiny Diddy in there for some reason. Anyways, tell me what you think! I shall sit down with some popcorn and watch some cheetah documentaries tonight so that I can acquaint myself with their movement.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby CatLoverMolly » October 4th, 2014, 10:54 am

I love that model! It looks so good in that mockup. I do think the pink is way too saturated, maybe the yellow too, but definitely the pink. Perhaps try using some colors from Dixie for that?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby zaneebaslave » October 4th, 2014, 11:47 am

I messed with the yellow a little bit today, but decided to stick with the yellow I have now, because the beige realistic cheetah color was kinda... Ugly. I might change the colors of the socks and eyelids to a greenish blue to contrast while at the same time being less saturated.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 4th, 2014, 10:27 pm

I think the yellow is fine, but the pink is way too bright.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 5th, 2014, 5:43 am

It's getting pretty!
Zane, which program do you use to create it?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » October 5th, 2014, 5:47 am

leo_core please see your PM inbox. I've not heard back from HiperKalango and have fowarded an important message to you.

Great on the new cheetah character! Looking to be interesting for gameplay. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » October 5th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Thank's Simion, read and answered.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » October 6th, 2014, 2:58 am

How much done is this project as of now, a good percentage?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby leo_core » October 6th, 2014, 7:09 am

I'd say the engine movements of kongs, terrain, collectibles and animal buddies (except the cheetah which is under development) is in 100%.
I am currently finishing the secondary buddies engine (Parry, Clapper (Clapper is somehow tied to Lockjaw fisher), Lantern Squawks and Glimmer). HyperKalango is working on the transformation of kongs into buddies.
Engine map and Kremlings (physical movements for Kremlings in terrain) I would say is 80%.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » October 7th, 2014, 1:24 am

So it's almost done! :D When should the final be released?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby leo_core » October 7th, 2014, 6:49 am

I think sometime in 2015...
The poll to choose the name of the cheetah is online, do not forget to vote!
http://dkc4.blogspot.com.br/

List of suggested names:
Spoiler!
Amelia
Bella
Blaze
Breetah
Chase
Cheater
Chictak
Crunchy
Dolantra
Dot
Jubatus
Kiara
Leo
Mellony
Mya
Peeta
Quimera
Rapidly
Rushy
Sahara
Savana
SCRATCHeet
Sheetara
Shimy
Shira
Shiva
Skarlet
Skyline
Speedder
Speedy
Sprint
Sprinter
Sprintly
Streaker
Thera
Willow
Xena
Zoey
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » October 7th, 2014, 7:04 am

I would remove the overtly male names from the list, like Leo and Peeta (I'm assuming "Peeta" should sound like "Peter"), since the cheetah is a female character.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » October 7th, 2014, 7:18 am

Leo, can I make a special request? I would like for the name "Chase" to be disqualified from the list. I have a character in my fan game Donkey Kong Country X named Chase. I do not want the cheetah's name to be confused with the Hunter from my fan game once it gets underway.

EDIT: Is Lea (as in the pronounced "Aaliyah") an acceptable replacement, Phyre?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby CatLoverMolly » October 7th, 2014, 9:31 am

Markster wrote:So it's almost done! :D When should the final be released?

Not terribly long, no, but keep in mind that level design, level gimmicks and 3D modelling for the map screen is still going to have to happen, and the bosses. A new engine demo, though, is something you can probably expect soon in the future.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby leo_core » October 7th, 2014, 9:46 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I would remove the overtly male names from the list, like Leo and Peeta (I'm assuming "Peeta" should sound like "Peter"), since the cheetah is a female character.

I had observed these names while collecting suggestions. I did not remove because not violate a person's right to suggest the name he want, whether a particular name is feminine or not is a matter of semantics.
However I agree that "Leo" for example is a male name. But "Leona" is not, but Leo could be short for "Leona". Notice that it is arbitrary interpretation.
Has a name there that I found very strange "Dot" (.?)
But I think these names will not be top rated. So do not worry, common sense should prevail.

VideoViking wrote:Leo, can I make a special request? I would like for the name "Chase" to be disqualified from the list. I have a character in my fan game Donkey Kong Country X named Chase. I do not want the cheetah's name to be confused with the Hunter from my fan game once it gets underway.

Sorry, if I would meet your request I being unfair to the person who suggested this name. "Chase" is a very common name, I'm sure we did not have problems with it (if it is most voted) right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_(name) #Fictional_characters
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » October 11th, 2014, 6:44 am

Confusion between SnapJaw LockJaw and made ​​me lose a day of editing... :|
At some stages, Clapper is associated with SnapJaw.

I'm very suspicious that two people are voting with fake accounts, notice the votes of "Skarlet" and "Sprinter".
Is there any way to know which accounts voted in the blogspot poll? We may have to cancel the election name results.

EDIT:
One person commented on the blog:

"So just want to say that the vote for Skarlet seems to be quite rigged. Just remember that the animal names letters start with the first letter of the species. So Rambi - Rhino. Ellie - Elephant. Squitter - Spider. There are exceptions of course but it seems that this would be the general 'rule'. Further, the names of the animals seem somehow related to their species as well. Squitter is a very webby type name for being a spider. Skarlet on the other hand, seems completely random."

This argument is valid?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » October 11th, 2014, 7:32 am

List of animal buddies in DKC:

Rambi the Rhinoceros, alliteration; portmanteau of "ram" (vb., to ram) and "Bambi"; pun of Rambo
Expresso the Ostrich, portmanteau of espresso (coffee drink) and express (fast)
Enguarde the Swordfish, pun of the phrase "en garde"
Winky the Frog, unknown
Squawks the Parrot, onomatopoeia
Rattly the Rattlesnake, alliteration, variation of "rattle"
Clapper the Seal, what seals do
Squitter the Spider, alliteration, rhyme
Glimmer the Anglerfish, unknown
Ellie the Elephant, alliteration
Parry the Parallel Bird, alliteration

Source: Animal Buddy Definition (from MarioWiki)

It doesn't matter if the name has a rhyming pattern, or if the first letter of the name matches with the first letter of the animal. What matters most is what the animal buddy is capable of doing and if the name fits on a chemistry scale. By this, "does the name click to you?"
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 11th, 2014, 11:25 pm

I do think that something like Chaser or Charger would be the best name.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 12th, 2014, 3:29 am

Thanks VideoViking, it was very enlightening.
Are two good names Ton, though "Charger" is the name of a very famous chocolate here in Brazil.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » October 12th, 2014, 4:07 am

One name you could add is Haraka, a Swahili translation for the word "fast." This is also Japanese compatible, meaning it can easily be written in Katakana, like so: ハラカ
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby hiperkalango » October 12th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Not very fair I thought the vote because the people here Forum poorly learned the poll and not had time to give your suggestions :shakehead:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby leo_core » October 13th, 2014, 4:20 am

"Haraka" is a nice name, but "Katakana" in Portuguese sound has the same meaning as "sugar scoop" (oddly enough) ehehe
Now we do not know how we elect the name... :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » October 13th, 2014, 6:52 am

Katakana is not a name, it's a written language. Don't worry about that one.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby hiperkalango » October 14th, 2014, 10:24 am

We apologize for the delay, was very ill these weeks, but I recovered well.
Now with a more similar look to the original engine
Some improvements were made.
* Transformation Buddies
* Animations Turn
* Various Bugfixes
Now we need the Buddies Secondary.
Have fun ^^ :thumbs:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Simion32 » October 15th, 2014, 12:52 am

This is quickly becoming one of the best engines I have ever seen.

Great job. You have me thoroughly impressed! :thumbs:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 15th, 2014, 1:27 am

I agree, Simion! I sometimes forget that I'm looking at a built engine and not some kind of hack!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Super Luigi! » October 15th, 2014, 2:57 am

How you do it, I don't need to know.
Whatever you're doing, keep going, hiperkalango!
Everything was great, as far as I can see,
And all the Animal Buddies were so free!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby doomero » October 15th, 2014, 5:00 am

Dude.... that was very amazing.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks