DKC 2's different titles

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

DKC 2's different titles

Postby Stone » March 26th, 2008, 3:33 am

I've just remembered that back in 1995, germany's official Nintendo magazine often wrote articles on DKC2.
They also printed a few screenshots before the game was released, two of them showing the title screen, with different spelling of Diddy's Kong Quest. They also mentioned these changes in a few words.
I think one of these alternative spellings was "Diddy Kong's Quest" (I know misspelling DKC 2's title is very common, maybe that happened due to this? :? )
I haven't found any site proving this yet, but maybe some of the screenshots were featured in other Nintendo magazines around the world, so maybe you know something about it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Re: DKC 2's different titles

Postby Simion32 » March 26th, 2008, 3:59 am

They changed it so that it would be a pun on the word "conquest".
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Stone » March 26th, 2008, 4:09 am

That's right.
Damn, why had my Nintendo magazines burned? :evil: It would be nice to post the screenshots.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » March 26th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Your Nintendo mags were burnt? :shock: How? ...why?

I do remember that I used to call it Diddy Kong's Quest when it first came out, but as soon as I got the game for myself, I realised that it was actually Diddy's Kong Quest. Either way sounds fine to me, and I don't usually notice if someone says/spells it differently.

It would be really neat to see a scan of the beta screen. I'll ask Cyclone- he's got an enormous scan collection.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » March 26th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Our house decided to burn about 8 yeras ago and it took all my Nintendo magazines away :cry:
The "Top Secret"-players guide is one of the things that survived. Unfortunately, the DKC2 players guide did not survive the extinguishing water. I should have kept it, nevertheless. And I should also use ebay to buy these guides again. (But buying players guides on ebay seems to be a bit risky)
Luckily all my games survived because they were stored in the living room. Just my F-Zero X has a few bad habits like freezing by touching. :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Cyclone » March 30th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Here are the scans. I found these on underground gamer and they are bit blown out. I did a quick search on google and couldn't find any better scans. Sorry.

Edit - I couldn't upload the original full page from nintendo power. Said file size too big. It was 741k. :(
Attachments
beta.png
DKC2 Beta Title - Cropped from Nintendo Power scan
beta.png (252.7 KiB) Viewed 35673 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby cfh » March 30th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Wow, I've never seen that before. Interesting!

The gap between "Diddy Kong's" and "Quest" looks strange.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 30th, 2008, 3:24 pm

That's great, thanks Cyclone. :)

Wow, strange/interesting to see 'QUEST' as a piece of treasure in the chest... Nice idea, but I agree with you, cfh; there is indeed a huge gap between the titling, and that really wouldn't have worked. Then again, the design doesn't allow for the titling to have been any closer together, as it would have covered up much of the background detail. Perhaps that's a big reason for their change of plan?

Edit: File upload size limit is 256kb here at the moment... I may increase this if needed, but I don't have unlimited storage.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » March 30th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Wow, nice to see that one again!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » April 23rd, 2008, 12:35 pm

Interestingly, the image used in the DKC2 comic hosted here appears to be an 'inbetween' design. It features the conquest/Kong Quest pun we've seen over the years, but still has the golden QUEST text in the treasure chest.

dkc2_alt_title.jpg
DKC2 Beta Title Screen taken from Nintendo Power Germany's DKC2 comic
dkc2_alt_title.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 35574 times
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » April 23rd, 2008, 9:45 pm

You're right Qyzbud, this one is the other screenshot i had in mind at the time I've opened this thread.
Nice to have them both now :D
There is a german site which is about our german Club Nintendo magazin.
I asked the owner of the site if he wants to add scans of those magazines and he said that he is considerng adding them.
If that happens, I could provide additional screenshots of the title screen with 100% official Club Nintendo comments ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » April 23rd, 2008, 11:16 pm

Hey, sounds good... keep us posted!

I'll make up a triptych of the three English-language title screens (alpha, beta and final), and we can edit into your first post as a visual guide (if you like this idea... 'tis your thread, after all ;)) Might be handy for reference, and to quickly bring newcomers to this thread up to speed with what's being discussed.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » April 23rd, 2008, 11:22 pm

Nice idea, feel free to edit my first post to add important information there. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Cyclone » April 25th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Nice find. The one from the comic looks like an actual render and not an in-game screenshot. I think the other version I posted is an in game shot. I should have mentioned that the scan came from Nintendo Power Issue74 in the 'Pak Watch' section. Is there any DK fan out there that has this issue?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » April 26th, 2008, 2:34 pm

So this one in the comic may well be the only publicly available image of a DKC2 title screen with > SNES quality colour/resolution... It's a shame that Rare/Nintendo were'nt more in the business of releasing better quality promo renders online. I guess it's partially due to the relatively primative internet transfer speeds and image compression routines that were available in the mid 90's. Magazine scans have their downsides, too. :|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » July 5th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Stone wrote:There is a german site which is about our german Club Nintendo magazin.
I asked the owner of the site if he wants to add scans of those magazines and he said that he is considerng adding them.
If that happens, I could provide additional screenshots of the title screen with 100% official Club Nintendo comments ;)

Any luck getting a better scan? I'm really looking foreward to a higher quality version. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Stone » July 5th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Cyclone wrote:Any luck getting a better scan? I'm really looking foreward to a higher quality version. :)

I've checked the site recently, but the owner hasn't added a single magazin yet.
And I'm not sure it's going to be "high qualitiy" because the original screenshot wasn't that big.
At least the owner of the site has the covers of the magazins, some have DK-art on it.
I don't know if it is OK to leave a link right here, but...
http://www.nintendo-land.de → click on "Nintendo Hefte" and then on those from "Deutschland"
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Cyclone » July 7th, 2008, 7:45 am

Club Nintendo has some nice covers. They don't seem as cluttered with advertising as some do. Thanks for the link.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Goe » July 9th, 2008, 3:23 am

hey....i have just looking the comic drawings(I don't speak geram) and it ends when K Rool escapes with DK! Are there a second part?

Well, in any case, great image...now i know There are a cannon in that screen(i always wondered what's that)
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby dkc2fan » December 1st, 2010, 10:19 am

With a german translater I found information interesting
The beta image ''Diddy's kong quest'' belongs to a playable demo for september,that was recorded by the creators of the comic
Newcomer

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2