Levels of the Lost World

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Which one rocks *your* (lost) world?

Jungle Jinx
27%
Black Ice Battle
21%
Klobber Karnage
7%
Fiery Furnace
8%
Animal Antics
37%

Total votes : 71

Levels of the Lost World

Postby Qyzbud » April 23rd, 2008, 7:58 pm

I don't play DKC2's Lost World levels as often as the regular levels, and I must confess that I've never been able to remember which level is accessed via which world map... This post can serve as a guide/reminder of which 'lost level' can be reached from each area, and this thread can be for any discussions related to these Klubba-guarded regions. I've even decided to enable a poll, for those who like to cast votes about such things.

Jungle Jinx (via Crocodile Cauldron)
The game's first jungle level; bounce from one giant tractor tire to another across treacherous spikes.

Black Ice Battle (via Krem Quay)
A perilous and slippery descent though a deep ice cavern full of Zingers, Klampons, Spinys, Klobbers, Krooks, and Neeks.

Klobber Karnage (via Krazy Kremland)
Another jungly challenge, this time full of Klobbers & Kabooms... then come the Zingers, the rotating barrels, and (of course) more spikes!

Fiery Furnace (via Gloomy Gulch)
This lava level starts with hoards of Spinys and Klampons, then it all comes down to dodging Zingers using the steerable barrels.

Animal Antics (via K.Rool's Keep)
A notoriously long, difficult and uniquely varied (jungle/ice cavern/brambles) level which allows the animal buddies to do all the work.
...beware the brambles in the breeze! ;)

Remember: Klubba hasn't set up his kiosk in the first or last worlds... only those in between.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Levels of the Lost World

Postby BlueTronic » April 23rd, 2008, 10:31 pm

Where's Crocodile Core?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 23rd, 2008, 11:00 pm

Never heard of it.

Oh, you must mean Krocodile Kore... it's in the middle of the lake. Gosh Kong-Fu, you don't know much, eh? :p

Anyhow, I could give you a few good reasons why I haven't listed it here... but I'll let you figure it out. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » April 23rd, 2008, 11:03 pm

Klobber Karnage is my favourite.
So relaxing. Nice music. Nice colors. Stupid Klobbers.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » April 24th, 2008, 6:49 am

I'm not sure if I should vote. I won't unless I can be reassured that my vote will not get erased. My votes are like my children, and I can't vote unless I know my vote will be taken care of.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » April 24th, 2008, 10:27 am

So... do you want me to change all my posts, and instead of saying Vote again say Resubmit your vote so that the vote can be the same one. Unless you would then say your submits also have the same feelings as your votes. Then I would say Your last submit was temporarily taken out to a safe place while I was reorganizing the poll. I need your approval to put again the submit regarding the vote and the submit which are the same ones from before reorganizing the poll. But to do that you need to tell me again which was your vote so I can put it safely back to where it needs to be.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » April 24th, 2008, 10:36 am

Wait, I was confused, so I just went ahead and voted for Black Ice Battle. Touche.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » April 24th, 2008, 10:37 am

I still don't get it Jomingo.

By the Way, I voted Jungle Jinx because of the giant tires.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby nackhe » April 25th, 2008, 12:04 am

I voted for black ice battle.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 26th, 2008, 1:50 am

Black Ice Battle, for sho. I like-a the icy levels.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » April 26th, 2008, 2:55 pm

I must say that I'm a sucker for variety and difficulty... and to me, Animal Antics is the DKCt's epitomy of such things (well, of variety at least...). I think Squitter's part is my favourite, largely because I love playing as that eight-legged legend. He can even strut his stuff all the way through Squawks' section, if you're good enough with his moves. It's cool also that Enguarde manages to get involved (although if his barrel wasn't there, I do wonder how Rambi would handle the aquatic stretch ;)). Of all levels in the trilogy, this one strikes me as the most unique and interesting.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby SLY JO » April 26th, 2008, 3:00 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Of all levels in the trilogy, this one strikes me as the most unique and interesting.

What Qyz said... Oh and it was one of the levels that actually produced a challenge.

EDIT: Fixed quote ;) , glad to be here. By the way (probably not the right place for this but saves a new thread), I somtimes have difficulties loading pages/posting on these forums. It comes up saying it has lost connection or something. only happens here thought. Everything DK is bugged for me :x
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » April 26th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Thanks for the edits, and for the forum bug report... that 'lost connection' error sounds like a pain. From now on, please use the Suggestions for DKC Atlas Forum thread for forum bugs (as well as ideas/suggestions, of course). Hopefully we can work out whatever issues you are having.

This post's previous content:
Spoiler!
Glad to have you here, SLY JO, but please take a few moments to read the DKC Atlas Forum Rules.

Relevant excerpt:
-Please avoid quoting an entire post, especially if you are posting directly beneath, or if the quoted post is of multiple lines in length.

Please edit the quote out of your above post (and this post of yours, too), and I'll remove this message. Thanks.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » April 27th, 2008, 3:38 am

You know, we really ought to have a thread dedicated to forum glitches and problems. Yeah, that thread works, but I can see how the title could be misleading to some.

Anyway, Animal Antics is definately my second favorite. It was really challenging, especially the Squawks segment.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 27th, 2008, 7:57 am

I liked Animal Antics too, but it was insanely hard. I get nightmares just thinking about it... :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Cody » April 27th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Black Ice Battle, of course.

It's one of my favorite levels in the entire trilogy, which is exactly why it was my first DKC2 mapping project :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Jomingo » April 28th, 2008, 8:43 am

Black Ice Battle was the first Lost World level I could beat. The other ones took me a little longer to figure out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Metroixer » April 28th, 2008, 11:56 am

Animal Antics almost made me cry, so that's out.

I'd go with Black Ice Battle. The name is cool, and it was the most fun for me (Probably because it was the easiest XD).
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » April 28th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Jungle Jinx, since it's the only place in the game that you can bounce on gigantic truck tires. There is one particular barrel cannon in this level which requires very precise timing, it's a bit of challenge because it rotates very fast. I'd say it's the fastest-rotating manually fired BC in the trilogy excluding bonus levels (correct me if I'm wrong).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kowbrainz » May 1st, 2008, 12:39 am

Jungle Jinx. Played through the level so many times, lol... the music and atmosphere is fantastic. Klobber Karnage was another favourite... then it'd be a tie between Black Ice Battle and Animal Antics.

Also: Why Black Ice Battle? What kind of misguiding name is that? :/
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby The Kirby » May 1st, 2008, 12:48 am

I assume that the "Black Ice" part of the level's name refers to the sudden and unseen dangers that you encounter in the level, since you make a lot of perilous drops in this level and get less time to respond to obstacles than because you can't see what's below you when you fall, as opposed to the slower pace of playing your average horizontal level.

And real black ice is ice you can't see until you slip on it. :x
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Postby Kowbrainz » May 2nd, 2008, 4:02 pm

Okay, now explain the "battle" part of the name...

Sounds as if there's a large boss in there to fight like King Zing... :/
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Cody » May 3rd, 2008, 12:33 pm

It was probably named that to alliterate the level name...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » May 3rd, 2008, 12:47 pm

I personally think the name Black Ice Battle is entirely fitting. Kirby's take on the 'Black Ice' part sounds spot on to me, and I'm not sure why a 'battle' needs to be a large boss fight... I've always though a battle was any clash between enemy forces, be it one-on-one, or any number of foes. In fact, I recall the term 'battle' being typically used to refer to a fight between two warring countries/sides, each with numerous troops. I can't see why it has to be a fight versus one single, epic foe.

Of course, the alliteration helps, too. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » May 3rd, 2008, 12:49 pm

I think that the alliteration is the big part. It sounds good, that's all it is.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » May 3rd, 2008, 1:07 pm

Sure, but snappy as it sounds, there's nothing clever about a great name that means nothing.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » May 4th, 2008, 1:33 am

Maybe they weren't trying to be clever? Maybe they just thought it sounded good.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » May 4th, 2008, 11:27 am

So... you're suggesting that it's simply a coincidence that every part of the name bears a strong relevance to the level's design?

It would be a little more plausible to think that about Fiery Furnace or Animal Antics - perhaps even Jungle Jinx... but I can't imagine Rare coming up with a three-part original name, without putting some clever thought into it. Just think of Barrel Cannon Canyon... Kong-Fused Cliffs... Rare think about these level names, and it shows; they are descriptive, concise, catchy - even poetic!

Sorry, but I just don't buy the whole 'they just thought it sounded good' suggestion for their level-naming philosophy. This is Rare. :D
Last edited by Qyzbud on September 30th, 2012, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 'Jungle Jinx' liketelevision.com link fixed
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » May 4th, 2008, 11:56 am

That was the site I linked to in my previous post... Remind me why I haven't banned you yet... :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » May 4th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I could've sworn that wasn't there before. Are you sure you didn't edit that into your post?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kowbrainz » May 10th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Sorry, but I just don't buy the whole 'they just thought it sounded good' suggestion for their level-naming philosophy. This is Rare. :D

No, I think you're being a fanboy. :P ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby FunkyKong » July 31st, 2008, 5:01 pm

I liked Jungle Jinx the best
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » August 1st, 2008, 1:07 am

Hey, if you're going to bump a 80+ day old thread, you had better at least tell us why you liked Jungle Jinx the best.

Basically, all posts are meant to bring something worthwhile to the discussion; especially if bumping a topic.

Take a read through the rules, please.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 7th, 2008, 4:44 am

... :?:

He likes jungles, one can assume. And jinxes.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 7th, 2008, 4:27 pm

That six day bump of yours was Pulitzer prize material, Jr. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 8:57 am

Heh, I didn't notice I was bumping anything. Sorry. :(

And yes, someday I will win a Pulitzer prize and use it to enslave humanity. So I figured I better start practicing.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » August 8th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I'm voting for Animal Antics because....it's the only one I remember. :cry:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Rodent » August 9th, 2008, 1:58 pm

I voted for Animal Antics because I liked the diversity in the areas on t. It was also challenging.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Gnawzooka » August 9th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Indeed, I remember finding the Bramble part particualrly difficult.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Nicholson1992 » June 2nd, 2009, 11:14 pm

Animal Antics is a very hard level in my opinion. That one always gets me.
Newcomer

Postby PotoGamer » June 3rd, 2009, 5:00 am

I voted for Jungle Jinx. It's just fun to jump from tire to tire and avoiding the various Zingers along the way! Also, the music and the atmosphere are great, and I can imagine the tires bouncing as I hear the music.
Trailblazer

Postby KEVINKONG » August 15th, 2009, 5:23 am

Stone wrote:Klobber Karnage is my favourite.
So relaxing. Nice music. Nice colors. Stupid Klobbers.

lol
I REALLY HATE THAT LEVEL
Tourist

Postby Shadow » October 29th, 2009, 12:02 am

Animal Antics! Because of the animals. :P
Tourist

Postby thetoad11 » July 6th, 2010, 10:48 pm

I liked Jungle Jinx because of the tires that you have to bounce off of. BOING! It was really fun to me, although there was one part that Never could seem to get right at firts. When the tires are rolling orr the edges, I would always miss, but it was still fun.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Krow111 » September 29th, 2010, 9:20 am

Animal Antics because it was the most challenging level of the game. Especially the bramble part! :x
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » September 29th, 2010, 12:08 pm

My favorite is between Black Ice Battle and Jungle Jinx. I liked the Jungle one because of the giant tires :) It brings me back to the original DKC because of the tires... it makes me wish that they would have kept tires as an object throughout the game, though.

Spoiler!
I HATED Animal Antics! I know a lot of people like it because of the challenge, but it pisses me right the f--- off!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » June 20th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Bump!

I liked Klobber Karnage the best.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Next

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2