Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby zaneebaslave » September 12th, 2014, 2:41 pm

I made the animation a bit more smooth.

I could try to make it MORE smooth, but I'm trying to keep the frames down to less then 15. None of the animations or sprites i have seen exceed more then 15 frames. They can do amazing things with not very much, it seems. Still, I think it's complete. I can't see much wrong with it at this point. If you DO see something wrong with it, please tell me, so I can cry a little. Then try and fix it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 13th, 2014, 12:30 am

I love it! It looks like he'd be immune to head-jumps.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Rux Ton » September 13th, 2014, 3:42 am

Tonberry is right! That's a good idea :o
REALLY good idea actually
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 13th, 2014, 5:54 am

A very good idea indeed, especially if we get a krusha/kruncha variation of him...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 13th, 2014, 6:07 am

... Shoot, if I would have thought about it earlier, I would have given him interchangeable hats for land variations. :shakehead:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 13th, 2014, 8:30 am

You could use him in areas that flood, like in dkc2's ship hold levels. That way, he wouldn't need a special land helmet.

To me, he looks top heavy, so if a Kong were to jump on him, I would think he would lose his balance and fall, unable to get back up. Then he could be similar to klick klack where you'd either have to jump twice or roll. Maybe Dixie and Diddy wouldn't be heavy enough to knock him over, I don't know. To my knowledge, there's no other kremling like that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » September 13th, 2014, 9:11 am

Kersplash, right, Zanee?

I can see this Kremling being defeated in the following ways:

1. Roll attacks (all Kongs)
2. Wooden Barrels that hit below the helmet level
3. Team attacks
4. Animal attacks from Rambi (horn attack or jump), Enguarde, Squitter (web shot) and Ellie (jump)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby zaneebaslave » September 13th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Unnecessary quote of entire previous post removed by Qyzbud — please review our posting rules/guidelines

Kersplash, yeah. I'd like to thank Spaceman for the name. The name was... bad before.

I kinda like Phyreburnz's idea for his game mechanic, though maybe instead of falling, the heavier kong smashes the helmet down to the kremling's knees? So then he looks like those hard-hat things from Megaman. Then one more hit kills him.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby VideoViking » September 13th, 2014, 3:13 pm

What do you think of the name "Klang"? That's the sound you make when you hit the helmet.

Do you have a non-helmet version?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby zaneebaslave » September 13th, 2014, 3:17 pm

The helmet is removable. Unfortunately, he has no head.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » September 14th, 2014, 7:05 am

zaneebaslave wrote:Unfortunately, he has no head.

THAT CAN BE ARANGED!

...if you want, use the head of a green kaboing from DKC2.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Goe » September 14th, 2014, 7:08 am

Hi!!

Long time no post here, mates!!! But I'm still a DKC fan!!

Well, I have downloaded the demo and I have already pass the first world. I absolutely love this game. I can't wait to play in the second world!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO LEO_CORE, KALANGO, SIMION32 AND ALL PEOPLE THAT ARE INVOLVED IN THIS GREAT PROJECT!!!!
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby spaceman2028 » September 14th, 2014, 11:33 am

You would think mattrizzle/DKCplayer would be involved too...

Anyways hi. Welcome back to the forums-i'm glad you like the demo. Here's hoping the second world, which is I assume Dixie's hideout, gets finished soon.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Goe » September 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Sorry for not name Matrizzle and DKCplayer. Congrats to them too.
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Rux Ton » September 15th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Just whipped up 2 tracks for some levels! I am on a roll. Seriously giving me the chills I got when I was a kid and playing these games. I hope my work does some justice!

ANd I want to second the idea of.. you jump on it's head and it's helmet falls down into the kremling, so it's liek the MegaMan enemies! That would be pretty neat, since we didn't see much of that at all in the other games.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby zaneebaslave » September 17th, 2014, 2:34 pm

I've finished a new animation! This is the kersplash after a heavy kong lands on him. It smashes the helmet down onto his head and makes him a walking helmet! OF DEATH!

Simultaneously, I am thinking up new boss ideas. That might be the next idea I tackle. After I finish the death animation for this guy, that is.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 17th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I LOVE it!!! That's too funny! Kersplash is Kersquished.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 18th, 2014, 3:47 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Kersplash is Kersquished.

Indeed, that should be the name of this second form. GG Zanee.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Cyclone » September 18th, 2014, 4:02 am

I also love the new animation. Great work. :thumbs:

I wish I knew how you guys make custom sprites.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby zaneebaslave » September 18th, 2014, 4:03 am

Kersmashed, even! :thumbs:

As for how I make the sprites, Cyclone, it's no big secret. All it requires is 3d software and photoshop. If you have ZBrush, I could go into further detail, since that's what I use.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Cyclone » September 18th, 2014, 5:54 am

ahh I see. Didn't know you could animate in zbrush. I thought you did it like phyrburnz by editing the sprites by hand.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby zaneebaslave » September 18th, 2014, 6:52 am

Well, you can't animate in ZBrush, actually. I kinda wish you could. I have to stop-motion animate like you would with clay.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby hiperkalango » September 22nd, 2014, 4:31 am

Buddies engine has been Finished.
Was implemented physics, Attacks and Sound Effects.
Gave a lot of work but is ready. I hope you enjoy ^^

We need help to create the new Buddy will be a Cheetah
All movements and attacks are Planned, just missing Animations
Who can help with the designer or 3D animations contact us on our Blog or Facebook page. Thanks!

:thumbs:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby zaneebaslave » September 22nd, 2014, 10:09 am

The Cheetah!

It's just a head right now. The body will come later.

I've noticed that the original Donkey Kong sprites have a sort of lighting to them that my models don't seem to have. It's proving very difficult to recreate the correct lighting of the sprites while not making my models look like trash in the process. Still, I am learning. I've also noticed from the concept art that the cheetah has a gem on it's head. Would you like me to implement that as well? Let me know what you think!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 22nd, 2014, 10:15 am

Very nice looking! I wanted the cheetah to be a female, so that's why I included that thing on the forehead. I thought it could just be a diamond shaped spot and not an actual gem.

What we know so far is that she should walk, dash/run, jump, and have a hurt animation.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 22nd, 2014, 12:25 pm

Nice sprite work, Zanee! If you make the cheetah make it super duper fast like expresso but unable to land on enemies. The cost is that the cheetah is faster than expresso but cannot fly.

Also note that you can make buddies from the animal buddy ideas topic! That, and alongside adding Blue Squawks, Purple Squawks, Light Squawks, Glimmer and that lightning bug thing that makes the blackhouse basement effect, i think a good idea for an animal buddy would be a souped-up version of some normal animal buddy(like red rambi, red rattly, red squawks, ect.) That or Pink Enguarde. Or even Phyreburnz's unused giraffe animal buddy idea!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby doomero » September 22nd, 2014, 12:59 pm

Awesome dude, how is called the engine?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby CatLoverMolly » September 22nd, 2014, 10:44 pm

Looks good; I'd think you'd need a stand pose as well, for when she's first busted out of the box and if you stop running. She should also perhaps have some kind of pounce attack? Where her claws would be outstretched and her fangs would be bared, but she'd only be able to hurt enemies that Diddy or Dixie can hurt like a Neek, not big ones like Klump.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 23rd, 2014, 1:56 am

Kersplash and the Buddy engine looks amazing.

Whats the plan with the Cheetah? More importantly, will he also wear sneakers? :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby zaneebaslave » September 23rd, 2014, 4:12 am

I think I have some bad news. We'll see how bad it is once I get back home and investigate further.

Before I left for work today, I had a sudden feeling like maybe I did something stupid. sure enough, I turned off my 3d program recently and didn't save the Kersplash model. All that remains is the helmet, and the body no longer exists. Luckily, I got most of the sprite sheet done, but now it will be pretty difficult to create any form of dying animation for him. I will check through my quick saves and see if any of the body remains.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2014, 5:33 am

I might be able to help you. Can you upload an image of the sprites you have for the animations (and any extra sprites you have lying around of the character, meaning I might have to use the first image of the turning helmet and other stuff, if you have it)? From that, I may be able to make a death animation for both the helmet pushed down and regular Kersplash.

*EDIT* Also, I've figured out the details of the Cheetah after talking to HiperKalango. The Cheetah will run fast like Expresso, but not be able to jump as far as Expresso can fly. Also, the Cheetah should have a slash or bite attack (it's your preference, Zaneebaslave :D ) that she can do while running and when stopped. So she can run fast and kill enemies, but she can't automatically attack the way that Rambi and Enguarde do, the button has to be pushed.

So, we need animations of her running (similarly to Expresso, she will only run, not walk), idling (I think she should lick her paw for her idle animation), standing still attack, running attack, and turning animation.

Also, I love Ton's idea about her wearing sneakers, so if you want to do a biting attack rather than slashing, you can include the sneakers, too!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 23rd, 2014, 5:43 am

Aw, that's a bummer. Phyre has a great track record, though. I think she can help you out.

And what if you made it so the helmet could be picked up and thrown at enemies? I can't wait to see your other enemy ideas, Zaneeba!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby spaceman2028 » September 23rd, 2014, 7:05 am

Zanee, look up at the top of the page. The animation of the sprite is still there, so you can just use that to repair the model.
how nobody saw that i don't even

As for the cheetah ideas, it seems very good thus far!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 23rd, 2014, 7:34 am

Hmm... I think she definately needs some sort of clothing, for sure. But not sneakers, though. The only reason is because cheetahs tend to use their claws more-so then their teeth for taking down prey. If they just ran in and bit down at high speeds might be a tad dangerous to the dental, ya know? Maybe... Like... Uh... Those knee-high footless stockings? Maybe?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby VideoViking » September 23rd, 2014, 7:42 am

I don't think sneakers are a good idea for the cheetah. What if one of her special abilities included being able to jump from wall to wall, or hang onto cliff sides like how Simba does in SNES's The Lion King? It could end up being a fashionable gimmick as Expresso and Squitter already wear sneakers, and they run fast. I think the cheetah should be more unique. Maybe a different color scheme or pattern will be enough as far as appearance goes.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2014, 8:11 am

Cheetahs are the only cats without retractable claws. They're always out for traction.

What if she had a scarf? Or maybe sweat bands on her wrists and/or head? Maybe sweat bands are the best idea, since she's a runner.

As far as appearance goes, what you could do is maybe have it look like a king cheetah.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2014, 11:37 am

Sorry for the double post, but since this is important, I feel like I need to.

I did the first death animation of Kersplash. I'll be doing just the helmet one next. That shouldn't take long. I have this one slowed down a bit, obviously in game would be faster. I did five sprites, since the second game seems to have just around that for enemies, the first seems to have a lot more and the third a lot less, so I did a happy medium I guess.

kersplash-death-1.gif
kersplash-death-1.gif (10.36 KiB) Viewed 96399 times

*EDIT* Here is the helmet death:

kersplash-death-2.gif
kersplash-death-2.gif (6.94 KiB) Viewed 96396 times

What do you think zaneebaslave?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby zaneebaslave » September 23rd, 2014, 12:26 pm

I think YOU DID IT !

Honestly couldn't do it better myself.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2014, 2:15 pm

I'm glad I could help. I would have felt really bad if you had to redo your whole model!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 23rd, 2014, 2:42 pm

So phyreburnz, i heard you visited the spriters resource. Looking around there, I think this thing may be a good idea for a boss-you may need make new sprites, but it's manageable with this kind of thing. You can make this guy like Really Gnawty in the GBA DKC1 port but the stalagmites fall a whole lot faster(and maybe use sprites from the game they are from?) He may also use claw slash attacks.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/seiken3/sheet/6463/

If you need an example of how fast the stalagmites should fall check out the second half of the N. Trance fight in Crash Bandicoot N. Tranced-when those drops of lava come down.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby leo_core » September 24th, 2014, 7:44 am

Hello everyone!
Although I am out of time to work on the project, I edited a stage sample in the current engine.

Tomorrow will capture the gameplay and post here.
And I'll clarify several questions about the project. Here some pictures of the sample stage:
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » September 24th, 2014, 7:53 am

hiperkalango, please check your PMs. ;)

That level looks great by the way. :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby spaceman2028 » September 24th, 2014, 8:21 am

Leo, are those leaf sprites from the land before time!?

Good luck coming on back, by the way!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CatLoverMolly » September 24th, 2014, 9:12 am

Can't wait to play through some of those stages ♥
Perhaps, HiperKalango, since you mentioned you might try to release a demo soon, you could make it a :gift: Christmas Gift? :gift:
Oh, and Zaneebaslave, I'm about to send you a PM, it should be in your inbox by the time you read this.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby spaceman2028 » September 24th, 2014, 9:40 am

Like CatLoverMolly said, we need another demo for the game. I also have the idea to make this game like that DK DOOM thing where it would be 3D-ish.

And since we have kersplash back, can you try and "revive" Karni Kong like you said you would, Zanee?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 24th, 2014, 9:45 am

That level looks AWESOME! I like the color choice.

And I second CatLoverMolly. 10/10 would love christmas gift :P

This is the coolest project ever ^-^
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby zaneebaslave » September 24th, 2014, 10:01 am

spaceman2028 wrote: And since we have kersplash back, can you try and "revive" Karni Kong like you said you would, Zanee?

Well, we'll see. Right now, I'm thinking of new enemies and new characters to add into the game. Right now, I'm thinking of a new K.Rool. I might draw a picture of him once I finish the new cheetah buddy.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks