DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-Related Custom Animations

Postby spaceman2028 » August 26th, 2014, 4:47 am

Could you make said sprites above with the tires set up so that they have a SMW effect where the keep moving but at a slower speed as they are melting?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » August 26th, 2014, 6:42 am

I think I know what you're talking about, Spaceman. That could be done by whomever uses the sprites. Animated gifs are pretty tough to get just right, as you would see it in game. It would be up to the person making the fan game to choose what they see as the correct speed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » August 26th, 2014, 7:24 am

Phyre, you are... really good at this.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby spaceman2028 » August 26th, 2014, 9:29 am

Should you and the other custom sprite dudes be part of the DKC4 creation project that's most likely to be done around the year 2014-3000? Only a rough guess for how long the project will last.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » August 26th, 2014, 9:50 am

Thanks everybody!

Ton, that last one is probably one of the least impressive edits I've ever done. It was so minor of an edit to do, compared to say. DK on the horizontal rope. :P

There's only one guy left that is working on the engine of DKC4. I don't know the first thing about programming or I would have helped HiperKalango out a long time ago with that aspect of the project. I'm doing my best to help him out in the ways that I know how (sprite editing). To my knowledge, I'm the only one that is working on in-game sprites that have been edited for the DKC4 project (and actually the only person that I know of that has ever attempted to make custom animations for the characters to make them compatible with any aspects of the other games). There are some other people that have done some rather poor edits for DKC4, whom I asked to redo some of their edits. So yeah, the project is moving slowly, but he's only one man and can only do so much... all of that on top of his normal, everyday life.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » August 27th, 2014, 12:41 am

Hey, sometimes taking the project on is more impressive than the final result. That said, it still looks pretty passable. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » August 28th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Nothing exciting today... I've decided to just have something somewhat simple as a logo of mine (at least for now).

I did this specifically for the DKC4 project, but if anybody else has a project they're working on and using my sprites, you're welcome to include this if you want:

Thanks to (I assume) Qyz for the game fonts!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » August 28th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Actually, although I gave some feedback and enabled it as a BBCode, Kingizor is to thank for the game fonts function: http://dkca.net/f/t1932

Anyhow, I like it! If you want constructive feedback, though, I have a couple of things to point out. To my eyes, your real name is quite hard to read on lighter backgrounds such as on this forum. I took a look to see how it would look on a dark background, and it looks much better, although I spotted little light-coloured artifacts around the top of the logo, atop the P, R and E of "SPRITES".

Besides those little issues, it's a nice little animated logo — very fitting with regards to your DKC-oriented sprite work. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby spaceman2028 » August 29th, 2014, 8:09 am

Speaking of animations i was wondering if Phyreburnz had plans to make Klubba some boss battle sprites(similar to kudgel's sprites but kritter kolor)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » August 29th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Ah, well, thanks to Kingizor then!

I'm guessing that there must have been some random stupid pixels that didn't get erased. I'll take a closer look and get rid of those pesky things!

Spaceman, I'm not planning on doing that. Something like that wold just involve a palette swap to make Kudgel the same colours of Klubba. I don't do palette swaps because that's something that can be done in the programming of games (I'm pretty sure). It just isn't productive to animate it when it can be done much easier in a game making program.

Also, since you seem to be pretty interested, I'll explain what I do for you :) I use the sprite sheets that already exist to make all of my animations. I take bits and pieces and place them together to make a single sprite (a leg from one animation, a foot from another, and so on). So with that, I can combine different things, like Krow's body and Master Necky's head to make something new for a fan game. I'll have to look at some more stuff and see what else I could do for new boss elements. There is a lot that I would love to be able to do, but because of the way I do everything, there are some serious limitations. Kiddy, for example, is super tough to edit because his sprite sheet is half the size of the other Kong's sheets. Editing enemies is even tougher, because they have (mostly) one real animation (besides death and turning animations). So that's like, what 8 to 10 sprites? And compared to Kiddy's sheet, that's like freaking nothing! When I do combine things, I do have to sort of keep it simple. So don't be upset if I can't make a suggested animation!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » August 29th, 2014, 2:43 pm

In that case, try and see if you can remake KAOS in some way-i can barely get the thought of him out of my head and i still wonder if making sprites with him is even possible
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » August 29th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Hmm... I've never thought of looking at KAOS's animations... I'll see if I can do something...

How's this? I took care of those little white pixels that you saw, Qyz. Is this background a better colour?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Sure is! It's all looking nice, now. :)

Just for future reference, you can use [bg] tags to give your sprites a coloured background for viewing on the forum, if you like:

Spoiler!
[bg=red] [img] imageURL [/img] [/bg]

You can change red to any colour you like (#000 is the same as using the word black, and you can use other colour names — green, orange, blue, purple, etc.)

I've used the colour code #333 as the background of your previous logo upload here:

I just though this might come in handy. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby jonesy47 » September 1st, 2014, 8:58 am

Just wanted to add my love of Phyreburnz hard work! You're like a one woman Rare art team! I've tried to edit pre-rendered sprites before and it's probably the hardest thing I've ever attempted with a pixel. Good Job!
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby spaceman2028 » September 1st, 2014, 10:55 am

jonesy47 wrote:You're like a one woman Rare art team!

WAT

PHYREBURNZ IS A GIRL

Anyways if you need ideas for sprites you know where to look-at the posts for boss ideas i made in the DKC4 topic!
Like this one: Katastrophe Kong piloting Mecha Kracko(you may want to edit the sprites but Mr. X did not look like a DKC character) from Kirby Squeak Squad(using king zing sting based attacks)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2014, 8:08 am

If I had a dollar for every time that happened.... :facepalm:

I might have like five more bucks right now... so it doesn't happen all that often... but still!

Is it just because I don't have an overtly girly type username and/or avatar? :huh:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 2nd, 2014, 9:28 am

Perhaps it's because of your current avatar? It looks like a creepy, fat, male, 8-year-old kid. No offense to your boyfriend!

Although, maybe nobody bothered to see your pictures of yourself that you posted?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby spaceman2028 » September 3rd, 2014, 7:41 am

Tell Hyperkalango about these suggestions of mine.

Modified Kredits:

KODING . . . . . . . . . SIMION
KARACTERS . . . . . . . . . SPACEMAN
KOLOURING . . . . . . . . . MATTRIZZLE
KONCEPT . . . . . . . . . . . . DKCPLAYER
KOMMANDER . . . . HYPERKALANGO

THE END?

Karacter Ideas:
Tiny, Chunky, Lanky, Cranky or even Funky might be good for sprite ideas. What 'ya think, phyre lass?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Mattrizzle » September 14th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Here is my take on DK riding Rattly:
dk-on-rattly-by-mattrizzle.gif
dk-on-rattly-by-mattrizzle.gif (29.92 KiB) Viewed 306434 times

The DK sprites are slightly altered versions of the unused Expresso riding sprites from DKC1.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Erockbrox » September 14th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Yeah, I was wondering how you were going to accomplish this. I the other thread I had proposed that Rattly be changed into the frog, but I believe that doing that is probably way too complicated.

Looks good.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Super Luigi! » September 20th, 2014, 1:39 am

DK's face shows much determination. Good job! I have nothing left to say.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2014, 8:35 am

To be perfectly honest, Mattrizzle, I think that looks a little weird, mostly because he isn't sitting down on Rattly's first... nub... thing... Maybe if you bring him down or modify it more it would look a little bit better.

I found (a while back) that DK's rope sprite fits on Rattly perfectly. You might want to use the rope sprite. I have the animation around here somewhere... let me take a look back and I'll edit this post when I find it.

*EDIT* Phew! All the way back on the first page! :lol: Here is DK on Rattly using his rope sprites.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » September 20th, 2014, 10:26 am

Looks great Phyreburnz! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Mattrizzle » September 20th, 2014, 11:49 am

I saw those sprites, but thought they needed some improvement. For one, D.K.'s hands appear to be gripping Rattly too tightly. He's going to strangle the poor snake to death! :rattlyface:

Phyreburnz wrote:To be perfectly honest, Mattrizzle, I think that looks a little weird, mostly because he isn't sitting down on Rattly's first... nub... thing...

Look at Diddy and Dixie's sprites. They don't sit on his coil either.

Also, the sprites for the jumping animation are missing. D.K.'s climbing sprites are too straight to work with those.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2014, 11:55 am

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that jumping frames are missing. Diddy only has one used Rattly sprite. For Dixie, all that moves is her hair.

Maybe I'll do kind of a mix between what you have and the rope sprite. I like the legs of the rope sprites, so maybe just add the arms from Expresso's sprites.

Also, even though neither Dixie nor Diddy sit on the coil, there is no space between their bodies and Rattly. DK is just using his arms to hold on, which are fully extended downward, so his whole body is being held up just by his hands and it looks weird.

^Sorry, I've edited this like five times and didn't add in the *EDIT* that I normally do.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mattrizzle » September 20th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that jumping frames are missing. Diddy only has one used Rattly sprite. For Dixie, all that moves is her hair.

I was referring to Rattly's sprites. Look at your animation in comparison to mine. The ones where he is stretched out are missing in yours.

Also, since you mentioned it, Diddy's unused Rattly sprites have been restored in my hack. For consistency, I made D.K. use more than one sprite in his animation as well.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Mattrizzle, how about this?

dk rattly test 1.png
dk rattly test 1.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 306309 times

dk rattly test 2.png
dk rattly test 2.png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 306309 times

(^Same DK sprite, by the way)
I can make a couple more frames for him to look a little different as Rattly jumps, to match the number of unused Diddy sprites, if you'd like.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mattrizzle » September 20th, 2014, 1:56 pm

I like what I see so far! :nicework:
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Okay, here is the whole animation completed.
dk-on-rattly.gif
dk-on-rattly.gif (30.09 KiB) Viewed 306296 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Erockbrox » September 20th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Honestly I think I like the original one that Mattrizzle did the best.

Even though your work Phyreburnz is outstanding to say the least.

And actually Phyreburnz, I love everything about your last animation except the part when Rattly jumps. When DK kicks back it just feels as if hes going to fall off or something.

Anyways, just my thoughts. Both of you guys are on the right track though.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby VideoViking » September 20th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I actually like Phyre's newest version a little more. Donkey being temporarily suspended in mid-air in part of Rattly's hopping keeps it realistic so to speak.

One way to picture this would be to imagine yourself riding Batman The Ride, a thrilling attraction found at Six Flags: Magic Mountain. Notice how the legs are hanging free: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/ ... atman-ride

Phyre, are rattlesnakes capable of digging through dirt?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » September 21st, 2014, 2:31 am

VideoViking wrote:Phyre, are rattlesnakes capable of digging through dirt?

To my knowledge, no snake is capable of digging; they steal borrows from other animals... unless you're asking me something else, in which case, pm me.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » September 21st, 2014, 12:45 pm

Hi, it is my variation from a gif by Phyreburnz,
@Phyreburnz: I hope you do not mind that i use your sprites.
Attachments
dk v4.gif
dk on Rattly 10ms
dk v4.gif (19.03 KiB) Viewed 306225 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 23rd, 2014, 2:01 am

Great work, Matt and Phrye! That new DK animation is awesome! It looks like it's straight from the game.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2014, 10:10 am

I did an animation for Kiddy on Rattly.

kiddy-on-rattly.gif
kiddy-on-rattly.gif (23.11 KiB) Viewed 306162 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mattrizzle » September 23rd, 2014, 1:11 pm

@Phyreburnz: Though your new animations have more frames than the previous DK on Rattly animation, several are still missing...
DK Riding Rattly by Phyreburnz - missing frames.png
DK Riding Rattly by Phyreburnz - missing frames.png (12.23 KiB) Viewed 306150 times

...specifically, all of the frames with a red background in this sheet.

Also, your animations are inconsistent with Diddy and Dixie's. The body of the Kong riding should be completely still when Rattly's body is fully extended.

See these for reference:
Diddy Riding Rattly unused.png
Diddy Riding Rattly unused.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 306150 times

Notice how Diddy's sprites change from frames 8 to 11, coming to a stop at frame 11. Aside from the intermediate frames being missing, and her ponytail flapping, Dixie's body remains relatively motionless after the 11th frame as well.

I did the same thing for my custom DK animation, only with three sprites instead of five:
DK Riding Rattly by Mattrizzle.png
DK Riding Rattly by Mattrizzle.png (10.96 KiB) Viewed 306150 times
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2014, 1:37 pm

I used all of the sprites from tsr. I guess they were missing frames. Either way, it doesn't matter. Diddys unused animation has five frames in it. The first frame will probably only be used anyway. I like having them move out from his body. I think it looks a little bit better than being stiff.

*EDIT* It would be too easy to "fix" the current animation to match diddys and Dixie's. It wouldn't have even really been an animation at all... all I would have had to do is just take the very first sprite I made and rotate it four times to have the exact same effect. I could do that if anybody wants it, but I really think the way I currently have the animations of both dk and kiddy are much more dynamic and interesting than just rotating a single frame. If you want me to just rotate the one frame, I can do it very quickly with rotsprite, just let me know if you would like me to.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Erockbrox » September 24th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I say let the community vote on who has the BEST DK riding Rattly animation.

But I do have to say you guys are doing excellent work!
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Phyreburnz » September 25th, 2014, 1:05 pm

I've made an animation of Winky turning. I'm hoping to do the same thing for Expresso, Rattly, and Squitter. I made this by taking the renders Rare had, making them into sprites, and slightly editing one of them.

winky-turning.gif
winky-turning.gif (6.44 KiB) Viewed 306065 times

I think that I might darken some parts... but I might leave it alone.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby CatLoverMolly » September 25th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Nice! My suggestion is make the pupils smaller in the middle frame and perhaps bring the legs in a bit.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby Phyreburnz » September 25th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Done.

winky-turning-2.gif
winky-turning-2.gif (6.5 KiB) Viewed 306054 times

Also, Expresso turning. I'll see if I can make it any smoother.

expresso-turning.gif
expresso-turning.gif (7.11 KiB) Viewed 306054 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Erockbrox » September 25th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Phyreburnz you really are an animation genius! I never thought that you could literally piece together bits and scraps of different poses of Donkey Kong and such characters and actually make new animations out of them. Excellent work.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 26th, 2014, 6:04 am

Yeah, that Rattly is an old rip. I wouldn't be surprised if it's missing a few frames...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby spaceman2028 » September 26th, 2014, 7:16 am

Can someone do sprites of DK and Kiddy Kong where the both of them hold and toss each other like barrels? That would make for an interesting animation...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 26th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Alright... Squitter turning is now done...Next up is Rattly.
squitter-turning.gif
squitter-turning.gif (6.93 KiB) Viewed 305994 times

I know that these turning animations aren't perfect. It's really tough. I've been using other renders to complete the animations (that includes using Super Smash Bros trophies... that's what the "middle" frame is for this one). I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to do these.

Rare did less renders as time went on. I wonder why... they had the models. It would have been nice for them to have made more buddy renders.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 27th, 2014, 1:49 am

It looks like his feet extend as he turns...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » September 27th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I may have to just make the center sprite for Squitter. There's so little to work with for these guys...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 2nd, 2014, 3:23 pm

I have a new enemy. I found a camel sprite from TSR. I don't remember what game, but I shrunk it and lowered the colours.

kamel.gif
kamel.gif (14.22 KiB) Viewed 305297 times

I think Kamel is a fitting name.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » December 3rd, 2014, 9:13 am

It's from Diablo 2 :p
And I like it, but the camel needs to be more in-style. Maybe use the one from Banjo Kazooie for help?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby CatLoverMolly » December 3rd, 2014, 11:53 am

It's not totally in style, but it's darn good for a custom/edited sprite.
Le Molly approves ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks